Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Flea Market Flip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flea Market Flip Sign In/Join 
posted
Great new show! I love all of Lara Spencer's shows & this one looks like it's a winner!
I'd love to see a little more on how they come about with the design ideas.
All of the women in our office are flipping over two guys who are the ones who help fabricate things for the contestants. There is one young guy with long hair & moustache & another a little older (40's), tall, dark & extremely handsome! Yummy to say the least! WE WANT MORE!!!! Who are they? We have never seen them on anything & want more information.
How about a one hour show? It seems like they squeeze too much into 30 minutes.
Thanks you HGTV!

Posts: 4 | Location: NYC/*****/Palm Beach | Registered: Oct 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This past Friday's episodes were even better. Lots of interaction on how things were being done, nice contestants and it didn't seem as rushed.
Anyone else watching?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JBDdesigns,

Posts: 4 | Location: NYC/*****/Palm Beach | Registered: Oct 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I watched the show and really enjoyed it. I agree with your comments.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good show. My fav was the couple who made a table from a bicycle. They wanted over $1K. At a flea market. The girls from Texas thought they had it in the bag, but they made the mistake of painting bamboo furniture after Lara told them to people love the original color. Sorry. They lost. The couple with the bicycle table sold it for asking price. Unbelievable.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jul 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of debicga
posted Hide Post
I like the show but wish that the contestants weren't in the same tent so they didn't know what the other team had sold and for how much. I missed this past week but the one before both shows were won by the team that was the last to sell all their items and set the price literally to have one cent more than the other team.

*Debi*

~*Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence*~

Posts: 4916 | Location: Marietta,GA | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Very similar to another show they had several years ago. I liked the host but I have to agree they should be in a separate area so there is no gamesmanship with the pricing.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally agree! They shouldn't be in the same tent, that would make it more interesting. Either way though, I love this show. I love seeing how they re-purpose and up-cycle the items.

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the show is getting better as they go! I didn't care much for the mailbox pet carriers nor did I like the table made from a buildings letter boxes which sat on top of the wheels. Too much going on there LOL!! The bamboo chairs definately shouldn't have been painted but if they had to, why on earth did they use that horrible green?? Lara was right on that for sure!
The girls here (including me!!) would still like to see more of the guys/girl as they figure out how to recreate these things, particularly David (we finally caught his name on the last show). The other younger guy is cute but oh my, David is one **** of a sexy man!!
I really think the teams should be seperated while selling as well. It's not fair to either team and it would make for better t.v. We didn't like how one team made a major price reduction on their last piece knowing that the other team had sold everything. They knew exactly how much they needed to beat them by & honestly, they never would have sold that last item for anywhere close to what they were asking.
Great show!! I hope HGTV reads these & takes notes!!
JBD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JBDdesigns,

Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
This show is okay but definitely staged and scripted.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi BabyDoll
The only thing that is "scripted" as you call it, is before a project starts when the producer says "ok, tell us about your project" and after when they are asked how they felt about how the project ended up. Nothing is scripted except for the format of questions to the contestants.
When a contestant does not sell their item, it's real world. Not everyone is a winner.
When one of us runs a finger tip into a saw, unscripted.
When a contestant breaks their mirror as their installing it, unscripted.
There are thousands of things that go wrong with every episode and there are thousands of things that go right. Cameras are rolling the whole time & they try to catch everything that goes on & then they try to compress it into roughly 20 minutes of air time.
Occasionally someone says or does something that the camera doesn't catch & I'll say "that's a good one, say it again when the camera is back on you".
We are not actors or SAG card carrying professionals. We are all nervous around the camera but try our best not to look like fools. Some of the contestants act like they are gunning for a Grammy but that's not us.
Give it another try.
David

Posts: 8 | Registered: Mar 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is one of my new favorite shows, but some of the competitors are rather unlikeable.

In the "Battle of the Roomies" episode, one woman of the two-women team is somewhat obnoxious, insults sellers by under-pricing their items, insults the choices their competitors have made, and she goes into the other teams' work area to snoop on what they are doing.

I didn't know I was watching The Apprentice! Very tacky!

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belle_N_Lex
posted Hide Post
Really like the concept of this show. I'm totally amazed at the prices... all of them! From the original costs, the set prices and the actual amounts sold, I cannot fathom spending those crazy high **$... I need to buy and re-do some stuff down here in the South and haul it up North for a tidy profit!

Belle

Posts: 623 | Registered: Sep 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The show is an interesting way to spend 30 minuets. The annoying part is Lara's constant repeating of... There is $5,000 on the line! I got that part in the beggining when the rules of the game were spelled out.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it would be more interesting if the teams actually had to do the work themselves instead of using experts for some things.

Posts: 6722 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just watched the first of two episodes tonight (Young Hipsters vs. Old School Design." I don't know, but I think the woman of couple who actually won is rather immature. Her trash talking the other couple really didn't make her very likeable and made me root for the other couple to win.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love Lara Spencer and love the show. Brought me back to HGTV after a long stay away. The only nit I have to pick is that the contestants are starting to trash talk each other and I hate that. That's why I quit watching Design Star and a few other shows. I'm tired of people arguing and putting other people down. This show was a breath of fresh air at first because it was friendly competition.

I also agree with those above who said the sellers should NOT be in the same space when selling their items. Some of them get downright nasty. Nasty is not fun to watch.

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
Oh davie...

It's defiantly staged and scripted. The buyers are too. It's kinda obvious.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't look scripted to me. If it is, they need new writers.

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I saw this episode last night. I didn't pay a lot of attention to what was said, but I liked the items they bought and I think they did a really good job with remaking them. I also liked that they did not put outlandish prices on the items and were ready to take less in order to sell them.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This program came off as scripted and a little tough to watch. I like the premise of the show, but it just seemed to be poorly executed.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Design Star
posted Hide Post
All "reality TV" is scripted. They probably have buyers go to the booths and pick out what they want the "contestants" to buy and they probably negotiate the prices on them before-hand too. And I'm certain that the "buyers" at the flea market are brought in and told what they're going to purchase.

Posts: 2626 | Location: Dallas TX | Registered: Nov 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post