Message Boards

Guidelines

  • Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

  HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Flip or Flop
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Flip or Flop Sign In/Join 
posted
I stopped watching everything but House Hunters, Intl., but now I am enamoured of Flip or Flop. The woman has such good taste. I love it.
 
Posts: 2647 | Location: Norco, CA | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I was watching this Saturday, and was comparing to the amount that these people spend on practically full renovations and what Love it or list spends for not even half of what these people do. antother comparison is Income property.
Love it or list and Property Bros, should see these programs and learn from them.
 
Posts: 4994 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy this show. I think it is funny when he says he can do the whole house for "x" dollars and she rolls her eyes. They do a good job. It is nice to see a young couple working together for their family success.
 
Posts: 46 | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
I enjoy this show, too, but all the kitchens look alike to me. There's no designing involved, just planning. I would expect something that was "designed" to look unique or show some creativity.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: santa_fe,
 
Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by santa_fe:
I would expect something that was "designed" to look unique or show some creativity.




i disagree! that would be more of a "custom" design which would mean more money! the type of buyers/homes they are targeting do not demand that. they do an excellent job keeping it so that it appeals to a wider range of people!
 
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
the type of buyers/homes they are targeting do not demand that. they do an excellent job keeping it so that it appeals to a wider range of people!


So why is creating a kitchen from the same old template considered "design" and not planning or project managing? In most lines of work, a "design" has to be custom or else you're just giving the customer an off-the-shelf product.
 
Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I think that is has to do with the price of the house. You can't expect a "design kitchen" in a house of 600,000 or less in California. Those kitchens are seen in the range or 1 million or more, which is not the average price that I have seen these people do.
 
Posts: 4994 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by santa_fe:
[QUOTE]

So why is creating a kitchen from the same old template considered "design" and not planning or project managing? In most lines of work, a "design" has to be custom or else you're just giving the customer an off-the-shelf product.



sorry but i have never heard that before!! i have seen lots of homes that have good bones and the layout was fine and they did not touch it. it was a "redesign" of the place.
 
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I believe it could be a matter of semantics. in any "design,"there is usually a "designer" using a custom design that a client wants to see. Now the word that many times I have seen use "redesign" it may not mean the same. many say the word when they are changing their cupboards and putting new appliances. These are not "designing" their kitchens they may use the term ""redesign. as changing many of the old aspects in their kitchen.
 
Posts: 4994 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rker321:
I believe it could be a matter of semantics. in any "design,"there is usually a "designer" using a custom design that a client wants to see. Now the word that many times I have seen use "redesign" it may not mean the same. many say the word when they are changing their cupboards and putting new appliances. These are not "designing" their kitchens they may use the term ""redesign. as changing many of the old aspects in their kitchen.


Yes, it's semantics. They seem to use the word more loosely in real estate.
 
Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw this Flip or Flop show for the first time.
I won't watch those two anymore. I almost threw up in my mouth after watching how these two
People act, the things they say, and the amount of greed displayed by both of them. This is
Is a replay of what happened to America in 2008. In 08 there were thousands of these so called
"House Flipping geniuses" all over the country. They built thier inventory up so much that
They couldn't sell it all between all of them. Each with 20-30 homes for sales at all time record prices for real estate. They ran out of buyers so they talked the bankers into opening up
the mortgage market to anyone that could put a bit of steam on a mirror. You had the flippers
Dragging homeless people down to the bank after buying them a shower, shave & spending $5
On a new set of cloths from the good will store. They would coach them into what to say at the bank
To get the loan. And the bank would actually process the loan, no questions asked, no proof of income. And the flipper would have bribed the appraiser to jack the appraisal up 60% over retail.
There all in jail now for the appraisals they signed off on.
These two "self proclaimed geniuses" per their Bio. Are two peas in a pod.
He has some type of freaky twitching, jerking, and his eyes bulge at times. And the sandals just
Ain't working. The woman looks anorexic, lip injunctions, her lack of weight is scary when you
See how anemic their poor looks. Poor little girl will never know what it means to have a childhood.
Shes **** around to all their work sites. When on one show they were crying like children that their business was going belly up on a flip because they were so deep in the hole. Then after they got finished with the remodel, they lost sssooooo much money on. They were offered full price for the home. That wasn't enough, they had to stick an average working guy for another $10,000 above retail. That was a example of pure glutinous greed. These two are the problem with America, so focused on themselves they haven't a clue about the real world.
 
Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PigNmudHole:
I saw this Flip or Flop show for the first time.
I won't watch those two anymore. I almost threw up in my mouth after watching how these two
People act, the things they say, and the amount of greed displayed by both of them. This is
Is a replay of what happened to America in 2008. In 08 there were thousands of these so called
"House Flipping geniuses" all over the country. They built thier inventory up so much that
They couldn't sell it all between all of them. Each with 20-30 homes for sales at all time record prices for real estate. They ran out of buyers so they talked the bankers into opening up
the mortgage market to anyone that could put a bit of steam on a mirror. You had the flippers
Dragging homeless people down to the bank after buying them a shower, shave & spending $5
On a new set of cloths from the good will store. They would coach them into what to say at the bank
To get the loan. And the bank would actually process the loan, no questions asked, no proof of income. And the flipper would have bribed the appraiser to jack the appraisal up 60% over retail.
There all in jail now for the appraisals they signed off on.
These two "self proclaimed geniuses" per their Bio. Are two peas in a pod.
He has some type of freaky twitching, jerking, and his eyes bulge at times. And the sandals just
Ain't working. The woman looks anorexic, lip injunctions, her lack of weight is scary when you
See how anemic their poor looks. Poor little girl will never know what it means to have a childhood.
Shes **** around to all their work sites. When on one show they were crying like children that their business was going belly up on a flip because they were so deep in the hole. Then after they got finished with the remodel, they lost sssooooo much money on. They were offered full price for the home. That wasn't enough, they had to stick an average working guy for another $10,000 above retail. That was a example of pure glutinous greed. These two are the problem with America, so focused on themselves they haven't a clue about the real world.


Roll Eyes
 
Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I saw this program again this past Sunday, and although they are not filming any new ones any longer, I always look into the amount of money that they spend and then compare their prices with what Love it of List it spends and Property Brothers.
Even Income Property shows a lot more respect for prices than these other two programs.
The way that they apply any of the cost of whatever they are going to renovate, both Hillary and the Property Brothers could take a lesson.
Anyone knows that in any renovation, a designer should simply keep their mouth shut and allow a contractor/arquitect be the one that prices out the renovation that the owners want to have. and certainly not Hillary. we could all avoid the Oh sorry, we cannot do this or that with the money that you have given me.
As far as the Property Brothers, they could stop providing furnishings to their renovation on the owners money, that they have for their renovations. I still remember a 600.00 chandelier that could have been applied to perhaps fix or paint any of the rooms that they didn't fix.
Just bases on those facts, whatever you may think about this program, in my view is by far superior and more credible than the junk that they have on either Love it or List it or on the Property Brothers.
 
Posts: 4994 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rker321:
I saw this program again this past Sunday, and although they are not filming any new ones any longer although they are not filming any new ones any longer,



that is incorrect!!

the should be finished filming the new shows - the new season begins on April 8th!!
 
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Then in that case, I guess that we all shall see hoe much they spend on all the renos that they do before selling these homes. The market has changed so we will see how they are doing.
 
Posts: 4994 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not like this show - never have - and they were extended for another season, unfortunately. He whines constantly. They talk about the money they lose, the risks they take, then call the nanny to watch their child so they can bid on a house. His arrogance keeps him from stopping at what they previously agreed was their max bid, and then borrow money from mom to finish it. And then, as stated previously, gets a full price offer on a different home - full price - but still wants more. I will not watch this show one more minute.
 
Posts: 27 | Location: USA | Registered: May 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This show would not be so ridiculous if Tarek was a better actor. They CLEARLY give a budget about 20% lower than they actually expect to spend. They never sweat one decision that would blow their artificially deflated budget. Natural stone vs ceramic? No biggie - spend the money. Oh, it needs a new roof? Ho hum. If they were actually on a budget they would have to make some sacrifices in the quality of finishings. They do a lovely job, but the show just makes me roll my eyes.
 
Posts: 1 | Location: Canada | Registered: May 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Hey if you are from Canada, what is your opinion about Property Brothers and Love it or List it?
 
Posts: 4994 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are right on, jdyyc. This show is ridiculous - no concept of budget applies to anything they do. Flip or Flop only refers to the flip-flops both of these "valley people" wear to a construction site. They don't break a sweat doing anything. They are decorators. Interesting that they never have a flop - totally unrealistic.
 
Posts: 190 | Registered: Jan 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they are real estate agents - not contractors! they are not supposed to "break a sweat" as people keep saying! they hire people to do what they can't do - as it should be! and as it is on most flipping shows!
 
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ever heard of Nicole Curtis on Rehab Addict???? She flips houses and breaks more of a sweat than these two ever will.
 
Posts: 190 | Registered: Jan 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peoplearenuts:
Ever heard of Nicole Curtis on Rehab Addict???? She flips houses and breaks more of a sweat than these two ever will.



so what??? that does not mean that everyone will. or that they should. nicole does it because she knows how - when you do not you hire other people to do it for you.
 
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your comments certainly reflect your screen name.
 
Posts: 190 | Registered: Jan 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peoplearenuts:
Your comments certainly reflect your screen name.




how odd! i thought the same about your comments/name!!!! LOL
 
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta agree with princess, a flipper needn't be a contractor or break a sweat to impress.

I like watching the before and after, why should we care what shoes they wear.
 
Posts: 2463 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Meischa:
Gotta agree with princess, a flipper needn't be a contractor or break a sweat to impress.

I like watching the before and after, why should we care what shoes they wear.




exactly!!!

although i must admit i do look foward to seeing what christina will be wearing and what LV she will have with her! LOL
 
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one should care what type of shoes they wear, but for me it's an indication of the professionalism - or lack thereof - of Mr. Flip Flop. Mrs. knows how to handle her husband when he has his hissy fits over having to go over budget when he bid more than he should to begin with. She has more knowledge than he does about what should/should not be put into a flip, but allows him to think he makes the final decision. It is just annoying to watch. That's the bottom line for me. They talk about how difficult their lives are but buy homes way too risky or too expensive then have to borrow from parents and max out credit cards then whine about it. I can't feel sorry for them when if they would stay with what they can afford, they wouldn't have these stressors.
And I get disgusted when I watch them try to "design" anything. They are not designers and I just want to watch my fav designers design. I don't want to watch these real estate shows. And from what I read, most people don't either. Just give us our designers back. They can design - not these real estate agents who know nothing about what they're doing. The P Brothers bully people and tell them how much they - the brothers - like this or that BUT IT IS NOT THEIR HOUSE!
I just cannot watch much more of this crap HGTV is showing OVER AND OVER. There's no excuse for it. Did these people buy all the stock? I don't get it.
 
Posts: 27 | Location: USA | Registered: May 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DreamingDesigner:
She has more knowledge than he does about what should/should not be put into a flip, but allows him to think he makes the final decision.



all smart women know how to do that in a marriage!!!! LOL
it's how you get exactly what you want without a fuss!
 
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
One of the things that I like about this show, is that they really show how inefficient Property Brothers and Love it of List it people are.
Their renovations cannot compare in price with this program and what they accomplish. Just compare prices and then see how little those other two programs do.
 
Posts: 4994 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PrincessMs: YES, a smart woman always knows how to manipulate her husband!
And Ryker, so true about the inefficient spending, especially on Love It List It. I have seen many times where a kitchen can certainly be updated very nicely by keeping what's already there and replacing countertops and floors, maybe door fronts; however, it seems to be all or nothing on LILI. Jonathan on PB has, on occasion, kept cabinets and painted or put on new fronts. I remember one episode where the couple loved the yellow cabinets and he kept them and updated it with a backsplash and countertops if I remember correctly.
Ms. Flip does a nice job of blending less expensive with more expensive to come up with a unique higher end finish. I have to give her that. That's what I have to do.
 
Posts: 27 | Location: USA | Registered: May 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PrincessMs must be Christina. Tarek has posted on this site several times to defend the show.

I actually like what the two of them do. They produce quality flips; taking care of issues rather than just the cosmetic. Many flippers just put band-aids on houses and sell to unsuspecting buyers. Now that is greedy. So for that, I respect them and wish them continued success. Although, I have to watch the show with the sound off. Each show has Tarek screaming, "if this happens, we will be RUINED" or "we will lose everything." It is helpful for people to see that not everything goes smoothly, but the constant ranting is crazy.

I don't understand why HGTV insists on the cheesy, over-the-top drama as opposed to quality programing. The Fixer Upper show is a great start in showing how things are done by professional acting people.
 
Posts: 158 | Registered: Jul 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cindy8w:
PrincessMs must be Christina. Tarek has posted on this site several times to defend the show.

I actually like what the two of them do. They produce quality flips; taking care of issues rather than just the cosmetic. Many flippers just put band-aids on houses and sell to unsuspecting buyers. Now that is greedy. So for that, I respect them and wish them continued success. Although, I have to watch the show with the sound off. Each show has Tarek screaming, "if this happens, we will be RUINED" or "we will lose everything." It is helpful for people to see that not everything goes smoothly, but the constant ranting is crazy.

I don't understand why HGTV insists on the cheesy, over-the-top drama as opposed to quality programing. The Fixer Upper show is a great start in showing how things are done by professional acting people.




WRONG!!!!
you know what they say about people that assume.
as my name says - i am a Princes in Ms. NOT Ca!
 
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdyyc:
This show would not be so ridiculous if Tarek was a better actor. They CLEARLY give a budget about 20% lower than they actually expect to spend. They never sweat one decision that would blow their artificially deflated budget. Natural stone vs ceramic? No biggie - spend the money. Oh, it needs a new roof? Ho hum. If they were actually on a budget they would have to make some sacrifices in the quality of finishings. They do a lovely job, but the show just makes me roll my eyes.


Agree with the budgeting, it is a total joke underestimating the rehab by 100%, 200%. AND it never comes back to bite them! Flip flops are a major no-no on a construction site, the re-modelers insurance company would have a fit.
 
Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mainecoon1995
posted Hide Post
I don't know...HGTV programming has really gone downhill, and I know all the shows have some scripting. However, I do think his couple is more on the up and up than other shows. They do not seem scripted when they are on shows other than their own. I think the designs and staging when the homes are done are well done. You have to renovate and stage to appeal to the masses. YOU may like bright wall colors and ultra modern furniture, but that turns many people off. No, I am not a relative, have never met this lovely family, and I agree there are liberties being taken. But remember, Tarek and Christina are not editing, splicing, filming, etc. And I think the fact they went public with Tarek's cancer and kept viewers in the loop, and include their daughter in episodes, is nice. I personally am entertained by this show. Can't say that for other shows. I also miss the HGTV that was.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mainecoon1995,
 
Posts: 526 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

HGTV.com    HGTV Message Boards  Hop To Forum Categories  Shows  Hop To Forums  Favorite Shows    Flip or Flop