Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Station does not listen to viewers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Station does not listen to viewers Sign In/Join 
posted
Look i love to watch Mike homles but i can't even get dyi network i would have to pay "extra" to get that channel and it just seem old drama and repeats on this channel.

They lost there touch with customers and don't care to reach out. I cannot watch this channel.

I am writing this to see how many of you agree hgtv is turning more into reality fake drama than real reality?

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
Not me!!
I hate reality shows LOL

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am just sick that they still not going to listen to us no matter what happens. Maybe they will care once there ratings tumble down the toilet.

posted Hide Post
I don't get why everything has to be a contest. Ok, first I need to say I don't like playing games so all of this makes no sense to me. I enjoy the instructional shows. If I was going to do a major renovation it wouldn't be a contest of who could do it fastest it would be who could do the best job. If I'm doing it myself I want a resource to answer questions and show me examples. Candice, Sarah and too many cancelled shows to mention were just what I wanted and was looking for. If I wanted to play games I would get a deck of cards!

Posts: 313 | Location: United States | Registered: Nov 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one ever said anything about a "contest" we are saying we want the old shows back not these fake crap shows. and repeat after repeat

posted Hide Post
softballump, I think office girl was agreeing with you, but just adding her own comments as well. That's all.

To agree with what you both said, it CAN seem as if every other HGTV show is some kind of competition. We're all done with the fake drama, fake time constraints, fake searches, and yes the CONTEST and COMPETITION SHOWS.

I see you just registered....just to fill you in on the background of this topic. It may be new to you, but MANY, MANY long time viewers have been saying this same thing gfor over a DECADE!

So don't count on HGTV programmers responding or giving a rats petootee about these comments or our opinions. HGTV's current programming has already chased away MANY viewers who used to be addicted to the channel.

Posts: 2513 | Registered: Jun 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am well aware they don't care. They will only care once there station takes rating hits. In else there trying to do that? Yea i think she just through me off a tad sorry "office girl" no harm?

posted Hide Post
No harm. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: officegirl,

Posts: 313 | Location: United States | Registered: Nov 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by officegirl:
No harm. Smile

Now that good news... in other news well there is none sadly here.

posted Hide Post
Totally agree!! HGTV use to be a design show. A show that would show designing, why things worked together, colors and small manageable projects. Now, I think they must own real estate companies and large construction companies. That is why all you get to see is House Hunters and projects that are taking down walls or redesigning a whole house. I do not watch that channel anymore due to this. Devine Design, Color Splash, Design on a Dime - good shows! Now, just crap!

Would ever happened to HGTV decorating rooms? All that is shown are realtor shows or how to remodel a house. What happened to Devine Design, Color Splash or Design of a Dime? These shows taught us how to design, colors to use and small projects to create. Does HGTV's interests only concern new homes and large construction projects now?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
They will only care once there station takes rating hits

Yeah, but we've been waiting for that for over a decade -- and it hasn't happened yet.

IF it were going to happen at all you'd think it would have happened by now...and HGTV just keeps getting worse....with more rushed/fake time limit shows, more over the top projects.

It took a while, and we long-time viewers had to get it out of our systems, but most of us have just given up and moved on. So if you newbies want to take up the mantle -- have at it.

MAYBE if I also had DIY I'd be less bothered, but I don't on my system (unless I want to pay more). But for now, HGTV isn't even in my Top 10 channels that I watch anymore...it's TOTALLY an afterthought. I'm watching more nostalgia TV on TV LAnd, ME TV, THIS TV, and COZI TV -- than I am HGTV. Go figure 30-50 year old reruns of Emergency, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Perry Mason, Kojak, Ironside, The Name of THe Game, Dragnet, The Virginian and Rifleman are more of a draw than HGTV!SmileSmile

posted Hide Post
I just happened to be home today and caught Color Splash. I know I will have to record it, but happy it is back. Like the rest of you I'm tired of "reality" type shows and House Hunters. Why don't they realize not everyone is looking for a new home - some of us want ideas, help and/or suggestions on how to do something new with the home we have. But they haven't listened since back when they took off Room by Room!

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got ways to get to them. I am just giving them a chance to try to redeem themselves. won't happen though

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
You would probably be more effective if you wrote to the hundreds of thousands of people (including many who write on this board) who view their programing day in and day out. You're obviously in the minority. Everyone else likes the programing or they just tune to other channels.

I don't know when I last recorded anything on HGTV. I mostly watch DIY if I want home improvement shows.

Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by santa_fe:
You would probably be more effective if you wrote to the hundreds of thousands of people (including many who write on this board) who view their programing day in and day out. You're obviously in the minority. Everyone else likes the programing or they just tune to other channels.

I don't know when I last recorded anything on HGTV. I mostly watch DIY if I want home improvement shows.

1. if i was the minority half of the thread would of disagree
2. not everyone is able to get the channel without paying "extra" Is something you clearly don't understand.

posted Hide Post
quote:
1. if i was the minority half of the thread would of disagree.

softballump, with all due respect, I don't know how long you've been an HGTV viewer (you just registered as softballump only days ago), but santa fe has been on these boards much longer than you and knows what s/he is stalking about.

So to your comment 1) I'd say "Noooo, if you and others of your opinion were in the MAJORITY, HGTV would listen and adjust their programming. It's taken time, but many of us -- who agree with you by the way -- have long ago accepted something perhaps you aren't aware of -- no matter how VOCAL the viewers on this board are -- they are a TINY FRACTION of HGTV's audience. So you ARE in the minority. We may or may not be the minority opinion about HGTV programming on THIS BOARD, but we are but a tiny, tiny slice of HGTV viewership overall.

And even if we ARE the majority opinion on this board, HGTV doesn't pay attention to this board or the comments here. It barely gives lip service to it anymore. It can't even FAKE like it cares. The site is maintained by an outside company NOT HGTV. Posts here are dismissed with an attitude that at first we viewers found shocking, but long ago accepted. So again, perhaps, we long time posters know more about this topic and this subject matter than you. Just perhaps that might be worth considering.

quote:
2. not everyone is able to get the channel without paying "extra" Is something you clearly don't understand.

2) What's does having to pay extra to get DIY have to do with anything? I think santa fe is well aware of that.

You just posted days ago, I've been trying to cordially say that many of us have been down this road before and are offering our insight -- and trying to save you some agita and frustration over programming that hasn't changed in 10 years, has never reflected our suggestions -- and in fact has only gotten worse.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: clbselah,

posted Hide Post
Ratings won't tumble

On cable on demand,in order to see old episodes of HH International, I can't watch them unless I pay a cable subscription fee. No way. That's greed gone too far.

Posts: 662 | Location: Northeast | Registered: Jul 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Go figure 30-50 year old reruns of Emergency, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Perry Mason, Kojak, Ironside, The Name of THe Game, Dragnet, The Virginian and Rifleman are more of a draw than HGTV!

clbselah, I sure hope this an endorsement for these shows and not a "this crap is better than that crap" comment, 'cause I'm very sensitive when it comes to Gunsmoke. Nobody puts down Festus Hagen on my watch. Be very careful what you say next....

Thanks for trying to 'splain the birds and the bees to the OP re: my post. I thought the DIY comment was kind of a non sequitur.

By the way, I also like me some Mark McCain ("Paw! Paw!) You're cleared for knocking Perry Mason, though.

Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You bet it's an endorsement...no, knock at all. I LOVE those old shows. I watch every retro channel my cable system offers. I'm fortunate to have so many to choose from.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
After being in this message board for years, also, This message board is not the place to complain to HGTV, this is the place to vent.
Complain, they have ways of doing it on their website, not that is going to do you any good.
HGTV is only concerned about ratings, and as long as they have the ratings they will give us bad programming.

Posts: 5009 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have every right to ***** to them here and i will

posted Hide Post
Yo, Ump, What is your problem?
All we're trying to do is save you the aggravation we've all been through.

Of course you can comment on the programming here.
We're just saying the HGTV doesn't CARE about your comments here.
Your thoughts might -- MIGHT -- have more weight, and get more of a response from HGTV elsewhere. That's all.

We've been down this road before and know it leads no where.
But, knock yourself out, comment all you want....just don't expect and changes.

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
Ump, in case you're not, in reality, a resurfaced "happyjoker", you two should get together and share your gripes and attitudes and writing skills with each other.

As I asked happyjoker, what grade are you in?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: santa_fe,

posted Hide Post
Clbselah, did you see that they're doing a re-make of Ironsides? Not sure of the channel or premier date, but it might be another viewing option. (Rifleman.... Johnny Crawford... now there was a good junior high crush! ITA with you, santa_fe!)

Posts: 361 | Location: SoCal | Registered: Mar 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Softbalumpire, you have the right to complain,vent and say whatever you wish. I don't think that any of us will try to stop you, or discourage you.
We are simply saying that if you expect any results,this message board is really not the place.
HGTV has in their website places where you can send them your comments of a given show. Perhaps that is the better place to place your opinions. But you can tell us how you feel any time you wish. I for one, will listen.

Posts: 5009 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Softball,don't you know that the folks on this message board love these "reality" shows and believe what they are watching is real.Don't try to spoil their illusions or question them or they will spout their superior intellect or call you names. Trust me this is site is not for civil or reality based discussions.It's only interesting to read the posts for facepalm and giggle purposes.

Posts: 24 | Registered: May 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fact that you guys just randomly stop is the issue.
Saving me for chewing out a company on its webiste that won't back itself up. Shows just how much there don't give a crap on there channel

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by happyjoker:
Hey Softball,don't you know that the folks on this message board love these "reality" shows and believe what they are watching is real.Don't try to spoil their illusions or question them or they will spout their superior intellect or call you names. Trust me this is site is not for civil or reality based discussions.It's only interesting to read the posts for facepalm and giggle purposes.

Thanks for yet another impressive post, happyjoker and/or Softballumpire. We are all astounded by your insights and analyses. Again, what grade are you in?

Softballupire, I apologize for comments about your command of English if English is not your native language. I understand that web translators are only good if you already have a little bit of an understanding of the other language . What you're writing has not translated very well in English, and doesn't make much sense.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by santa_fe:
quote:
Originally posted by happyjoker:

Thanks for yet another impressive post, happyjoker and/or Softballumpire. We are all astounded by your insights and analyses. Again, what grade are you in?

Softballupire, I apologize for comments about your command of English if English is not your native language. I understand that web translators are only good if you already have a little bit of an understanding of the other language . What you're writing has not translated very well in English, and doesn't make much sense.

why don't you save it jerk I am not going to debate or talk about my writing English language with you nor do i need to don't be a jerk.

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Softballumpire:
why don't you save it jerk I am not going to debate or talk about my writing English language with you nor do i need to don't be a jerk.

Now, that would be worth a few chuckles.

Picture of mainecoon1995
posted Hide Post
I seldom post anymore...more of a message board voyeur.

I am not going to comment on HGTV because, as has been noted, the comments here are not on the powers that be's list of high priority. I cannot imagine that ratings are improving. If you also note, people are unhappy with sister
Food Network...little teaching shows anymore. Now just big personalities and challenges/competitions. Travel channel (another sister) is becoming the third food channel.

Now, what I WOULD love is to talk about the old TV shows...lol..I also watch MeTV and RetroTV. Geesh, we grew up with them. I also love the Rifleman and Mark McCain....Bonanza (with Adam)...I am very dismayed that RetroTV took off Starsky and Hutch...I was 17 when that show started...need I say more? lol. And really, do we HAVE to watch Gilligan's Island again???? lol. But, I will have to say, I HATE Gunsmoke. Hate everyone but Doc...when I said that to my husband for the first time, he looked at me like I said I sacrifice cats at midnight every other Tuesday.

Posts: 526 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mainecoon, I feel your pain! I have had to sit through an ETERNITY of Gunsmoke and Bonanza reruns with my husband. The Bonanza theme song is our dinner music and we have coffee with Matt Dillon every morning. If my husband turns on the TV in his "man cave" and HGTV channel comes on, I hear about it. But I must say, that doesn't happen too much anymore. I rarely tune in to HGTV anymore.

By the way, Little Joe was more my type! For some reason, Adam just didn't do it for me! I think Hoss would have made a wonderful husband though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: caroln242,

Posts: 114 | Registered: Mar 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mainecoon1995
posted Hide Post
Caroln,

I am with you. One of the funniest posts I ever saw on one site was one woman talking about Bonanza. She said when she was young, Little Joe was her man. As she got older, she realized Adam was her thing. Then she said, "at my age, now it's Ben that's looking pretty good"...lol

We actually, no lie, had for a long time we had a huge picture of Roy Rogers and Trigger in our dining room...framed....so I understand you and your husband dilemma

Posts: 526 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trigger was pretty...I guess I'd rather look at Trigger than Festus while I'm eating.

Posts: 114 | Registered: Mar 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mainecoon1995:
Caroln,

I am with you. One of the funniest posts I ever saw on one site was one woman talking about Bonanza. She said when she was young, Little Joe was her man. As she got older, she realized Adam was her thing. Then she said, "at my age, now it's Ben that's looking pretty good"...lol

We actually, no lie, had for a long time we had a huge picture of Roy Rogers and Trigger in our dining room...framed....so I understand you and your husband dilemma

You have no taste. Who needs those Bonanza pretty boys when you have FESTUS HAGEN?????

Picture of mainecoon1995
posted Hide Post
Santa Fe,

I will give you that Festus is "interesting" looking and sounding. The brightest bulb on the Christmas tree?.....um...well....Although he is better than all the other Gunsmoke gang except Doc...gee whiz I hate that show.

I can see you go for personality....lol.

However, did Festus have Trigger? I think not. Why Trigger was the smartest horse in the movies....ask my husband all about Trigger's stellar qualities. I like Trigger, don't get me wrong....but we have an homage to him in our curio cabinet and also in his office. I am sure that was purely because Bob didn't think about Festus, otherwise, probably we would have pictures of him everywhere. But I can't imagine Festus adorning a dining room....

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
Festus had RUTH, the male mule. Rugged and reliable, just like Festus.

Roy Rogers? Really, he was nothing but a dude and Trigger was all glamor, no guts. Would probably come up limp if he stepped on a pebble.

At least Festus had the sense not to try to get married. All of the Cartwrights' fiances died.

posted Hide Post
Funny funny funny Smile

Posts: 7117 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mainecoon1995
posted Hide Post
Now Santa Fe (felt weird when I said "now Santa")...don't diss Trigger. I am sure Ruth was a perfectly fine mule, and that HE? and Festus were made for each other. I cannot imagine Roy riding a mule. I cannot imagine Festus singing.

You are right about the Cartwright boys....they were thinning out the Nevada female population at a steady rate. If they didn't die, they moved away. And did you ever notice that for a ranch of ten billion acres, that was so busy, that they were always home in the daytime? If there was a major problem anywhere in the Virgina City area, it was easier to go and discuss it with Ben than anyone else?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mainecoon1995,

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
Only to keep the peace, I will rise above and not mess with RR and Trigger. It's very hard, though.

Anyone for Rawhide, a REAL cowboy show?

Picture of mainecoon1995
posted Hide Post
I have only seen Rawhide once, actually, and that was yesterday. It was excellent.

I love the Rifleman for some reason.

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
What I like about Rawhide, unlike many of the other westerns, is that Gil Favor (narrator and trail boss) makes it clear how dirty, sweaty, miserable a cattle drive is. So when something happens, you know it's very much out of the ordinary. This show didn't glamorize cowboy work.

I like The Rifleman, too. It was one of the very few shows of its time that had a child as a star. Also, the 30-minute length is great.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I have to see those programs because my husband sees them all and love them. so I sit down dutifully and watch them also. LOL
sorry that you have to pay extra for DYI, is probably a great channel to see fairly good programs, not designing programs but other types of programs, They have my favorite, Rehab Addict which I really like No don't like reality shows, to me, they are not worth the time.

posted Hide Post
The real problem is that there is a huge fan base for the shows we all dislike. I kept wondering why HGTV was running the ridiculous reality shows, so I checked the ratings.

This was as recent as August 2013:
"HGTV Offers New Seasons of Its Top-Rated Fan Favorite Series "Property Brothers," "Love It or List It, Too," "Income Property" and "Love It or List It" are all due back in the coming weeks."
Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/...8402/20130827hgtv01/

Brother vs Brother, which I actually liked, was a huge viewer hit. People also like Flip It or Flop It - with the young husband and wife renovators.

I've come to realize that I am a dinosaur. LOL!

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jul 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
The only program listed that I really enjoy is Property income the rest, are not for me. I guess that I am lucky that I get to see DYI and get really good programming.
they don't have design programs but they do have lots of construction programs, I have to say that I have learned lots of things that are useful to me if and when I update, my house.

Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
well the real culprit is Scripps networking that also has the travel channel,the food channel,DIY etc...........
it has been going on for years,all their other channels do the same,repeats and reality shows,contests and etc etc etc
I imagine they don't even read these boards LOL I guess the boards are just for us poor unhappy with the network that they use for our venting

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Softballumpire:
I got ways to get to them. I am just giving them a chance to try to redeem themselves. won't happen though

LOL... Really? Anyway HGTV ratings are just fine. They are doing a good job at what they are doing. If not, the ratings would be in the toilet. A few 50-100 folks complaining on a board (this one,FB, Twitter, or where ever) will not change this network.

However I am on board with getting rid of the contests on all of the Scripps-owned shows... Kinda played out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geezemarie,

Posts: 67 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
In another thread I posted that the Neilsen Rating are now considering using tweets received for programs and stattions, for their ratings. Therefore, It may be a good idea to express our views with them on Tweeter, we may find that it would actually carry a lot more weigh than what we may or not do in here.

posted Hide Post
There is no way you can compare or make a negative comment about Hillary or David. You know some things might be scripted but Jillian and Todd are just boring.

Posts: 11 | Location: Wanted to comment on shows | Registered: Aug 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clbselah:
quote:
They will only care once there station takes rating hits

Yeah, but we've been waiting for that for over a decade -- and it hasn't happened yet.......

the newbies are saying the exact same things we did when we were new. nothing has changed. and i can't remember the last time i came to this board, much less posted on it. clb.. do you remember the good gardener days? those were lively times on the board.

Posts: 3861 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post