Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Is designer Hilary on love it or list it incompetent
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is designer Hilary on love it or list it incompetent Sign In/Join 
posted
Is it just me or is Hilary the designer on Love It or List It incompetent. I mean every design she comes up with does not take into account any of the major costs or check if work can be done. She always ends up not doing what she plans and she wastes so much on high in blinds and such that could be used to complete the work she promises.

Question:
Is Hilary the designer on "love it or list it" competent?

Choices:
She is competent
She is incompetent

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gail_D
posted Hide Post
Personally - I think it's the "drama of the show" that makes you think that. I hate the extremes of both David & Hilary that this show portrays, but if they acted rationally, and anticipated (on camera) problems of renovating, or not following through on all the wants the homeowners request, or short-falls of David showing houses being out of the "preferred neighborhood" or "over budget", no one would watch!

But that's just my 2 cents!

~Gail~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To quote a very wise person....
"There is a cover for every pot & a homebuyer for every home!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 4404 | Location: Someplace between FL & NY | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A better question might be, is there anyone on HGTV that is competent?

Posts: 73 | Registered: Jan 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This show is so transparent, I can't imagine it could hold anyone's interest longer than two episodes.

Posts: 1775 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think she is competent but the people are either too picky or don't face reality.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She's a designer like I'm the queen of England.

Posts: 658 | Location: New York City | Registered: Aug 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sal, I used to complain to my family that "the Queen would never have to put up with this s**t!" Finally one day my daughter informed me that I am NOT the Queen! Big Grin

Posts: 3391 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No its not just you. I thought maybe it was just me. She always comes up short. I think because she spends 60.000 on a kitchen , and living room. If I were a home owner and I gave her 60.000 she better deliver what she said she could. Not spend it all on one or 2 rooms

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a designer who has been working in the field for almost 30 years, I don't believe she really is a designer. I think perhaps the show is entirely scripted and Hillary is an actress.

Posts: 1775 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
As a designer who has been working in the field for almost 30 years, I don't believe she really is a designer. I think perhaps the show is entirely scripted and Hillary is an actress.

Another show with bloated drama and incompetent "designers" brought to you by the folks at HGTV, aka "The We Don't Care What Viewers Want Group.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I really dislike this show. First it presents the home owners as unpleasant as the realtor and the designer. I don't know if she is a designer or not but bottom line this show presents designers as incompetent nincompoops. I watched an episode yesterday in which the cellar walls were oozing moisture and she did not notice nor did the HO's . . . give me a break!

I think every show has a house with some sort of problem that prevents the design from going forward.

Also if the original house's improvements add say 50K value to their house maybe bringing its value to say 650K why would any home buyer not buy the one that the HO's buy for say 675K when it has everything their home is still lacking?

Posts: 12489 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had it on last Sunday and my Mom stopped and watched it and said it looked staged to her. If that be the case aren't House Hunters, Property Brothers and maybe Income Property? Don't know. The latter two don't strike me as being fake but what do I know? LOL!

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MsWildhack
posted Hide Post
I can't even watch this show. I've tried a couple of times, but there is nothing about it to like. And it's all so contrived.

------------------------------------------------
I've been around...well, all right, I might not have been around, but I've been....nearby.
-from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Posts: 400 | Registered: Jun 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MsWildhack:
I can't even watch this show. I've tried a couple of times, but there is nothing about it to like. And it's all so contrived.

Hey there Ms.Wildhack - haven'tseen you around for awhile. Are you going to watch DS this year?

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tonite's episode (5/21/2012) had to be not real. There is no way someone would pass up a brand new 1800 sq ft house PLUS a finished basement with 3 1/2 bathrooms for 729,000 for a house with one bath and a galley kitchen "worth" 1,000,000. Especially considerating they were expecting a baby. That was a joke.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried to watch this show so many times but I end up changing the channel. The realtor is obnoxious, the "designer" is worthless and most times the homeowners are unreasonable and unbearable.

The problems are always the same with Hilary running into some sort of snag which wasn't in the budget and invariably the homeowners can't get some room or the other they were hoping to get, which was going to be a tall order anyway given whatever restricted budget they had.

This show makes no sense to me. Why spend tens of thousands of dollars to "fix" a home and *still* not be able to make it exactly the way you want it when you can just take the money for the renovations and put it toward a downpayment, etc. for a new house that HAS what you want?

Every time I watch this I end up screaming at the tv and my husband asks me why it is I watch the show if it makes me angry every time I do. I quit This show.

Rant over and putting my soap box away...

Posts: 50 | Registered: Jun 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MsWildhack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doodles64:
quote:
Originally posted by MsWildhack:

Hey there Ms.Wildhack - haven'tseen you around for awhile. Are you going to watch DS this year?

Yes. School's out now, so I'll be watching & posting more. DS will definitely be on the viewing list. In fact, I was going to ask if people want to do a "live" thread every week, like we did last year for the last couple of episodes.

------------------------------------------------
I've been around...well, all right, I might not have been around, but I've been....nearby.
-from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Posts: 400 | Registered: Jun 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree! I understand that certain things like those that involve things happening under basement flooring or in the roof cannot always be anticipated, but I just watched an episode where she promised two additional bathrooms (big budget items) without consulting with a contractor about roofing easements or the piping requirements. This seems like a no-brainer and did not require the contractor to open up any walls or dig up the floors to determine the necessity. I like the concept of the show, but am getting very frustrated by that she is constantly promising the moon and then acts like it isn't her fault when things don't go as planned. HGTV please make her draw up her plans with a contractor and plumber to help lessen the BS that invariably comes up during each episode!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd about had enough of Hillary so decided to see if anyone else agreed. She's HORRIBLE. It seems she NEVER does her homework and ALWAYS ends up not giving the house owner half of what they want, then she blames the owner for not understanding. Its SHE that does not understand. SHE told them what they'd have! Sure she does some nice things but if she can't do something she should KNOW that before tearing things up!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read the posts on Love It or List It, but never commented. I agree that the show is awful. None of the people on the show are likable, and using the same format for every show is tedious. If the show is on - I watch another channel until the final reveal because I actually do like the final design. Although, I have another complaint to add to the list. When David gives the homeowners the final appraisal, they include the cost of the renovations in the increased value. That is ridiculous. Most of the changes add about $25,000 to the value, but the show always makes it sound like it is around $75,000 or more.

Posts: 156 | Registered: Jul 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is meant as entertainment people. It's just a show. Hillary has been a designer for many years and is very talented. Design is more than a few toss pillows and a new sofa. Most of these shows have MAJOR structural changes and renovations and as anyone that has been through this knows there are always surprises when it comes to a reno. There can be times that building a new structure can be more cost effective than tearing up floors, ripping out walls, wiring, plumbing, and adding new support beams and floors. I have been through this for many years now and have had very similar experiences that Hillary and her homeowners have experienced. Personally, I love this show and I love David. The competitive spirit between the two major players in this creative, entertaining show is fun to watch. HGTV has come a long way from when Carol Duval ( no offense Carol ) made crafts that were meant as design features. Power to the designers! Carry on Hillary, Candace, David, Genevieve, Vern, and Sarah! I love you all.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Costconsciousdesigner, as a designer with 30 years experience, and as a contributor of this particular thread, I'm going to ignore the "design is more than a few toss pillows.." comment.

Hilary is either the worst designer imaginable or the entire show is some weird joke.I have said this before but for your benefit I will repeat myself. No experienced designer will ever attempt to address structural issues prior to bringing in an engineer and/or an architect. In states such as Florida, no permits are even issued without an architects signature. No one, professional or otherwise starts to tear apart a home without estimates, never mind contracts.

I won't even go into how argumentative and confrontational she can be.

The "unforseen" drama that takes place on this show is just that,drama. Which is fine, except that people watching this show may be folks who are considering hiring a professional.IMHO Hilary and LIOLI make designers look like uninformed dilettantes, instead of schooled and trained pros.

I understand this is television.But not everyone reads the fine print, so I would think that a station who took its name froma well known interior design magazine might show designers in a more positive light.

posted Hide Post
I don't think she is necessarily incompetent, I think she just doesn't put the homeowners needs above her design taste. The most recent I watched the homeowners gave her $60,000 and she spent most of it on a high end kitchen. While it was definitely nice, she needs to take in account more practical things like finishing a basement, etc. I would never hire her because she doesn't listen to what the homeowner wants. It's all about her.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Costconsciousdesigner:
It is meant as entertainment people. It's just a show. Hillary has been a designer for many years and is very talented. Design is more than a few toss pillows and a new sofa. Most of these shows have MAJOR structural changes and renovations and as anyone that has been through this knows there are always surprises when it comes to a reno. There can be times that building a new structure can be more cost effective than tearing up floors, ripping out walls, wiring, plumbing, and adding new support beams and floors. I have been through this for many years now and have had very similar experiences that Hillary and her homeowners have experienced. Personally, I love this show and I love David. The competitive spirit between the two major players in this creative, entertaining show is fun to watch. HGTV has come a long way from when Carol Duval ( no offense Carol ) made crafts that were meant as design features. Power to the designers! Carry on Hillary, Candace, David, Genevieve, Vern, and Sarah! I love you all.

Hilary? Is that you?! GeneGRIEVE? Come clean! LOL!!

I'm Good As Long As It's Feng Shui!

Posts: 130 | Registered: Jun 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tropic_Rose
posted Hide Post
Hilary comes thru as incompetent because she always says she can do what the client needs. So why does she inspect the house and doesn't find the negatives before agreeing to do the work. And why does she force her ideas on the clients who are paying for the work and have to live there if they stay?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
I believe Hillary is very competent, you can try to fulfill all the wishes of the client, but if something unforseen comes up and work cannot continue because of a law or something to important to not fix

lets put it this way the homeowners "sometimes" give such a low budget to Hillary that IMO I don't know how she possibly gets done what she does
and what she does looks fantastic
so lets be realistic, she does the best she can under the circumstanses and always informs the HomeO if she can reach them??

can't judge her cause I couldn't and wouldn't do what she does under unforseen cicumstances and low budgets

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that Hilary is indeed a real, and successful designer.
It's the SHOW that's fake! You can't hold her responsible for the format of the show.

If you look at the RESULTS -- her rooms ARE fantastic. She does deliver the goods.....the rooms are gorgeous.

The show's entire premise is not realistic....
1) No one would put 40-thousand or more into a house for major upgrades if they're thinking of selling.
(99 percent of what the couples' want is floor plan changes or remodeling for THEIR use... not VITAL REPAIRS that are needed for occupancy. If those people wanted to move (uh, list it) they could do that WITHOUT putting all that money into the house. Clean, declutter, sell and move on)

The couples are on the show for the design help...and the fact that being on the show DOES stretch their remodeling dollars. Even though the couples don't get all their clearly exaggerated 'must haves,' when you think about it Hilary does get more done for them for their budget than if they just went and got their own contractor and designer.

2) The show tapes two endings, so whether the couples stay, go, list, or love it doesn't' matter...the entire farce is to get a show in the can.

3) The couples don't give her enough money to do what they want, EVEN IF THERE WERE NO UNEXPECTED CONSTRUCTION DIFFICULTIES.

While it's true, design money is spent on new furniture, drapes, accessories etc... You can't remodel a kitchen, two bath rooms, knock down walls, AND finish a basement for 40-thouand dollars -- even if you don't spend on those things! (The most I've ever seen her get is about $60,000, and that's not enough either fro all of what they want.)

THAT is the problem...but as I said it's also the format of the show. Obviously, even in real life, no designer or contractor knows what you'll be faced with -- until "you open up those walls." Starting out with not enough money in the first place doesn't help.

Now, once construction problems arise....rotten beams, sagging floors, frayed wiring, broken pipes, permit issues -- you can debate that NO money should be spent on furniture and blinds -- IF that means not getting a bathroom done.

(That's one of my issues...forget furniture..I'll sleep on my own old futon if you can get the bathroom done...but then again my old futon wouldn't make for a goo-goo-eyed reveal -- now would it.?

People underestimate how much of a WOW factor accessories and furniture add to the room. The new finished space is great...but add those accessories and new beds, desks and bedding -- and you've got a WOW. OMG room!)

It's the 'drama' of how the unexpected construction issues are presented that can be frustrating to viewers...(the couples arguing, the bad news from Hilary, etc.)

Once you watch knowing it's fake...you really can enjoy it just for the reveal and the house search walk-thrus. I don't' give all the fake crap a second thought anymore....and enjoy it much more.

That's what I recommend...watch for the set up (get the gist of the situation)...listen to the must-haves...look at the walk throughs on the house hunt....tune in for the reveal....and tune out for the rest of it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: clbselah,

Posts: 2513 | Registered: Jun 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So why does she inspect the house and doesn't find the negatives before agreeing to do the work.

1) uh...because it's A TV SHOW!...
2) because producers don't want to show that (I guess they'd think it's boring)
3) That little trip she and David take to see the house is not going to reveal any after-construction issues.
4) EVEN IN REAL LIFE contractors don't open your walls BEFORE they give you an estimate on a remodel.

They give you a bid and say...."OBVIOUSLY this is if we don't find any glitches after the walls are open and work starts." That's what a bid and specs are for.

They MIGHT say "IF you need a beam it will cost "x amount" extra, or "IF you need new drain pipes it will cost x dollars more." That's it.

The TV producers don't put that in the show.
That little trip she and David take to see the house is so the VIEWER can see the "before." I hope you know Hilary and David have both seen the house before that on camera stuff is shot.

quote:
...why does she force her ideas on the clients who are paying for the work and have to live there if they stay?

Do you honestly believe the couples have no idea what work is really being done, and haven't OK'd it? That they really haven't signed off on the work, and gone over it with the show designer and producers? And exactly what will be done and what won't, given the budget?

And I hope you don't think all the houses they see are really for sale.....

Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
clbselah
you have accuratly covered all the bases, its refreshing to read a post as informative as yours are SmileSmileSmileSmile

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember when I was sooo invested in HGTV, and it upset me too that things were faked -- even though presented as true.

It IS a shock to find out how fake the shows are. And takes a while to sink in.

Even though some of us have known for a while, the newbies still need to vent their frustration.
We vented and complained when WE found out...it's just their turn. I guess it will continue to happen as new people find out....it's new to them.

Heck, it's been YEARS and I STILL can't believe how HGTV insists on stick with Real Estate TV, and no gardening/landscaping....and why it won't air it's older classic shows overnight...or late night on weekends. Remember some of the posts that went on and on when HGTV started to move away from design? Wow. it was a FIRESTORM! But to no avail

So I can imagine how fresh the frustration of newbies is.
Oh well.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I rarely watch the show because the homeowners are so awful. The show on this afternoon is an excellent example. How can anyone be as horrible as Ilda Dinis? How can anyone allow themselves to be shown on national television (Canadian and then American) as such horrendous snots? Even if she is really such a horrendous snot - I hope she recognizes what a horrible and unlikeable person she is when she sees the end results.

I think if this show were reality - the real estate agent would have had a sit down with them and say - Here, take this business card and call this agent. He and I have butted heads a number of times and I think you deserve each other.

Designer Hillary's plan was nice for the basement. The little boy's room looked cluttered - more of a before than an after.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3445 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
I don't worry so much about fake anymore
every show on every channel is basically fake or contrived
I guess someone out there thinks we actually live in this fantasy world
LMAO
I think they are the ones in the dream world

we all know better from here don't we ya all???
)SmileSmileSmileSmile

posted Hide Post
I would agree that it is very frustrating to see Hillary promise things in "every" episode and then not be able to do what she promises. I agree with some of the others that she needs to do more inspecting by bringing in the structural engineers, plumbing & electrical experts before making promises she later cannot fulfill. It would make it a much better show if she was able to give them the things they want or let them know in the beginning that she can't do it but that she can do other things and then they can decide better to either LOVE it, or List it. Also, agreed with an above statement, there are things such as underground, under concrete etc that cannot be for seen. Hillary either needs to do what is mentioned above or plan extra money in her budget for unforseen snags.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Nov 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Competent, experienced architects and contractors plan for the unexpected. They build into a budget an allowance for wiring, plumbing, etc. problems that they have encountered in similar houses. They may not specify it as an allowance for surprises but put it in, in bits and pieces in the contract. While they may not be able to anticipate exactly what they will find when they open up a given wall in this particular house, they know that there will be problems of some type. There may occasionally be something that goes beyond that allowance in the budget. But no contractor or architect stays in the business long if she or he gets a reputation for consistently hitting the homeowner for additional charges that could reasonably have been foreseen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ACWhite,

Posts: 876 | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ACWhite:
Competent, experienced architects and contractors plan for the unexpected. They build into a budget an allowance for wiring, plumbing, etc. problems that they have encountered in similar houses. They may not specify it as an allowance for surprises but put it in, in bits and pieces in the contract. While they may not be able to anticipate exactly what they will find when they open up a given wall in this particular house, they know that there will be problems of some type. There may occasionally be something that goes beyond that allowance in the budget. But no contractor or architect stays in the business long if she or he gets a reputation for consistently hitting the homeowner for additional charges that could reasonably have been foreseen.

I agree 100% - the episode I mentioned with Ilda is a prime example. A professional contractor or even real estate agent experienced in the area would have known about the problem of directly tapping into the storm drains instead of the sewer in older homes and would have acted accordingly instead of - Woops - big surpirse!

But, but, but - that wouldnt' make for good television. Competent people doing the job they were paid to do is boring to tptb at HGTV. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3445 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People...you can't blame Hilary for the FORMAT OF THE SHOW.
You complaint needs to be about the SHOW, or the producers, not Hilary.

It makes no sense to complain about HER, it's the SHOW.
Why can't Hilary do this or that?...because.....that's not the format of the show!.

She IS a very successful designer, who is doing...say it, say it...a TV SHOW!!
Clearly when you see the reveal, you can see she knows what she's doing.
The results are fantastic.

Now maybe you can wonder, why, if she is a successful designer she would what to BE on a show that makes her look incompetent. THAT is a different question. Is being on the show costing her clients or business? I doubt it. She's been on the show too long. If it wasn't working for her, she'd have given up the show.

Being on TV is lucrative. A designer can get his/her own line of paints, furniture, and sign all kinds of deals.

I very highly doubt Hilary is some kind of dummy. If being on the show wasn't working for her -- and the producers -- she'd have been gone by now. The show has been on for YEARS.

I very much like what I see her accomplish on the shows. IF I had the money and need, I'd hire her. Why not? I know how to separate TV from the real world.

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
clbeslah nails it. I'm sure in person the homeowners are the whiney people the show format makes them out to be. Hilary is probably a very competent designer and David is a good real estate agent.

The show is about the conflict between all the parties. If you don't like the show or the hosts don't watch it. I have 150+ channels I don't need to suffer through a program with personalities I don't like.

HGTV has completely changed their focus and Gardening by the Yard, Decorating Cents, Design on a Dime, et al are not coming back. The Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, ER, St. Elsewhere, Hill Street Blues, LA Law, and Hogan's Heros aren't coming back to ABC, CBS and NBC either.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6930 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i know I've posted these thoughts before, but based on the last few posts, I thought I'd reiterate.

Most of us know this is scripted television, so we can easily write off anything we find silly or disinformative.Unfortuneately based on many posts I've read on these boards, not everyone reading here gets this.

As a design professional it really bothers me that a go to station like HGTV would give the public such a dishonest view regarding professional design behaviour. That's all. Hilary's lack of pre planning,and especially her attitude are not helping the public look on designers favorably.

It is hard enough making a living, doing something so many people want for free. I don't need a T.V. program that makes professional interior designers look like nit wits with an attitude problem.

posted Hide Post
I actually don't mind Hilary's attitude. The couples asked for too much for the money in the first place, what to they want - miracles?

Maybe I also don't mind it because she's on TV and not my designerWink

But I certainty see your point, given that so many people think that's for real.

Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
pleaseeee this is just a show,scripted or not,the network does as it pleases and we have the big choice to turn the channel or not?

I myself like Hilarys designs and imo she is put through h*** with the budget, the homeowners, and the problems along the way

nothings perfect or goes perfect?

so if she wants to redo my old mess,she is welcome anythime LOL SmileSmileSmileSmile

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
It is hard enough making a living, doing something so many people want for free. I don't need a T.V. program that makes professional interior designers look like nit wits with an attitude problem.

I've heard that medical doctors aren't like Gregory House either. Go figure. It is entertainment, we get it.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6930 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow Sparky you can bust my chops about my comments re: LIOLI, completely skipping over the part of my post where I acknowledge that it's a scripted show, then on the Ask The HGTV Community thread you inform yet another unaware poster that it's what? A scripted show.

I have a right to my opinion, esp. about my own profession, so leave the smarmy comments to threads about electricians.

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Charles,
HGTV has moved on, whining about it here won't change that. If I don't like a show I don't watch it. Hence I watch very little of HGTV anymore. Unlike some folks here, my life doesn't revolve around what's on TV.

You were far from the only person to say it is a scripted show.

General Disclaimer

posted Hide Post
Well lets just agree to disagree then. I'm either not making my point clear or you are only reading parts of my posts. Acknowledging a fact isn't a claim to be the only person aware of that fact.You were the one who had to remind yet another poster on a different thread that LIOLI was indeed scripted.

I guess since you are not a designer you don't understand that HGTV has a direct line to the professions livelihood. Potential clients are constantly referencing how quickly things seem to get done, and how inexpensive the labor is on these shows.

Even educated people hear what they want to hear , when their experience would normally tell them otherwise.My biggest issue is that the format could (operative word, could) leave a viewer with the idea that this is a real situation.

It is not overtly presented as purely entertainment, one has to read reviews of the programming to find out it is scripted. Even so, a station supposedly dedicated to design might not choose to portray its designers as short tempered and argumentative,if it had any respect for design as a profession.

posted Hide Post
Compared to Jonathan and Drew Scott (Property Brothers), Hilary is incompetent. She may have excellent taste in decor and how to use space well but she lacks implementation skills. Perhaps she'd do better to use a different GC for the construction or pair up with him on the estimating and design assumptions.

I don't watch the show any more because she's too annoying.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG. Let me suggest that people read at least a few posts before they add to the thread.

How many times must it be pointed out that what you see on a give show -- Property Brothers vs. Love It or List It -- is what the producers CHOOSE to present, based on the format of the show.

One can say that "based on how the shows are presented one might see how Hilary COULD BE SEEN as incompetent" by the uninformed viewer. But to say she IS, and compare the competency of Jonathan/Drew vs Hilary based on scripted TV shows is ridiculous.

Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
you are so right CLB

but IMO don't think Hilary is incompetent, we don't see enough of the redo to base an opinion on what she is doing?
just the problems along the way
just the end, which I luv her end results

Again?? I would luv for her to redo my ole mess LOL

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
CLB,
Excellent points. But note that bandomn is a first time poster, they took the time to register post up their complaint and probably will never come back again. Not the first person to register just to whine about LIOLI.

These boards used to get a lot of action. Now it isn't unusual for a sub-board to go for weeks without a new post. I registered years ago to offer advice not to give Charles a hard time about his complaining about LIOLI ;-)

HGTV doesn't really care about these boards, there are a number of features that don't work any more (the URL button, emoticons, etc). They don't moderate them, and they leave things up forever, such as Dream Home 2011 board which is nearly 2 years old now. You'd think they would have updated it for the Dream Home 2012 when it started back in January. Who knows maybe they'll update it for Dream Home 2013! Same with Urban Oasis 2011 and on the shows boards for shows I don't think they even air anymore. They killed the boards at foodnetwork.com it wouldn't surprise me if they do the same here. Given their lack of care and feeding I'm not sure they are doing the brand any good.

Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
She is a horrible designer.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really LOVE our community board here. IF, by chance, HGTV ever gets rid of them I'll miss you all.

Come over to Television Without pity!