Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  House Hunters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House Hunters Sign In/Join 
posted
I watch this show off and on and I am either laughing or I turn it off. I do not want anyone in the bathroom other than me. How many people need to be in there? I want a house in the burbs or city but don't want to see any neighbors. I don't like the paint colors and want the owners to decorate to my taste before I move in. Will my dog like the yard? I'd have to ask her. I want all new appliances even if the existing ones are only 5 years old and still work. Oh, and I want the seller to meet my price and pay all closing costs and whatever else I want. What is with these people? If you can't afford the house, don't look at it. Don't be so lazy that you can't even paint. Are people really this self centered and stupid now, or does House Hunters just manage to find them all???

Posts: 191 | Registered: Jan 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Of course not, that is what HGTV wants us all to believe. Yes there are many stupid people out there, but not as many as we see in House Hunters.

Posts: 5009 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i agree with above comment that HGTV makes it look like there are more stupid people than there really are for drama effect...

but i also find it funny how people are extra critical of houses they cant even afford or which may be levels above where they are living at the moment.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When will these buyers want 2 toilets in the bathroom so there will be room for both of them to be in there at the same time??? I'm sure that will be added to the criteria list soon.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
It has always amazed me the view of two sinks in a bathroom.
I wish someone would explain as to why anyone would want to be in the bathroom shaving perhaps or getting ready to go to work while I am in need of relieving of my bodily functions?

Posts: 5009 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my pet peeves is the constant reference to stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops. As a former glorious granite owner, I can attest to the destruction that takes place when something heavy falls from a shelf above such counter tops...a major crack and stone chips flying all over the place. As for stainless appliances, I the commercial kitchen look with the ever -present dark cabinets is dreary and cheerless.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i agree with wanting granite...i just think its silly to pass on an otherwise quality house for superficial stuff that you can easily change to meet your needs in a day or so..

why not use the lack of superficial updates to your advantage in negotiating a sales price and redo it exactly the way you like it?

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julianna76
posted Hide Post
I find it amazing that 20 somethings are soooo picky. When my husband and I went house hunting as a young couple, we didn't care about the decor. As long as the plumbing, electric, HVAC and roof were fine, we were ok with it. Having 5 yr old appliances, and a washer and dryer included was a bonus. Didn't really care if they were stainless steel. The colors in the house were "meh", we have the ability to paint. Not very hard. If there were hardwood floors under the carpet, hey another bonus. We just pulled up the carpet, refinished the floor and added toe molding. Simple task. I see a lot of spoiled brats on HH. Everything can be changed. I don't have granite counter tops, I wouldn't want them. The expense is not needed. As long as the fridge keeps our food cold and stove works, I'm fine with it.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
What is beginning to annoy me the most is when I see HHI and people are renting the apartments, and they come up with sayings. "its dated" I don't like the furniture, " The kitchen is too small for entertaining" These people are moving thousands of miles away and they think that they are going to entertain and have people over just like that? Perhaps if they pay for their plane tickets.

posted Hide Post
I have to admit, I like HH/HHI. I usually watch it on mute because I cant stand to listen to some of these people, I just like to look at the houses and the locations. I wonder what thses young people do for a living that they can afford some of these houses. Do two people really need 3000 SF? And do these young people reallly think they will live in that house for the rest of their lives? And if you have to ask if its granite does it really matter? If the house has good machanics and a location you like, the rest is just your own personal taste which with some saving and work, you can do.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Besides most of them rent, when they go to these countries, they have no idea as to the amount of time that they will be able to stay. What makes me laugh the most that they go there with limited budget and they all want to live on beach front properties. LOL

posted Hide Post
I can't understand the agents and the buyers taking dogs in the houses they are viewing. That is completely rude and unhealthy. On most of these shows I would like to see a program where several people would go through the homes about six months after they bought them and were as critical on their decorating as the buyers were when they went through the homes and see what kind of reaction we get.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter and then fiance/now husband, bought a starter home about 5 years ago since it was cheaper than renting two apartments. They did a modest amount of improvements since the tiny kitchen and bathroom barely functioned, but not excessive for the neighborhood. Had the hardwood floors restored and old wiring replaced, bringing everything up to code. Then sold for a good profit and bought a large home, with a nice backyard.

They looked past some of the unusual color choices, such as an orange bedroom and mismatched carpet. Paint to the rescue for a couple of rooms and the rest can wait. Carpet - professionally cleaned. With pets and a small child, why go the expense of replacement right now? An area rug in the family room adds color, along with homemade art.

My daughter is perfectly happy with plain solid counter tops(dare I say Formica? Not sure what the material is.) They updated the kitchen cabinets with new hardware.

The yard was already fenced in, a big deck off the family room, a new roof, new windows in part of the home, garage insulated. All of these items are major ** and more valuable than stainless steel appliances and granite throughout.

On most of the shows, HH/HHI, Property Brothers, Property Virgin, Income Property, the hosts urge the clients to focus on these type of features rather than appearance. So many of the buyers seem childish with their complaints.

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wish has been granted!!! Did you see the pictures on the web with the 2 toilets in one stall for the upcoming Olympics?? This is exactly what all these House Hunters need that want to have room in the bathroom for more than one person at a time. Togetherness lives!!!!

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Amazing post!!!!!!! and so real. I will not have my husband in the bathroom with me at any time. He will use the other bathroom that is why we have two bathroom. I can't believe that young couples go to the bathroom together and do their necessities in company.

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
Don't forget, these are people who probably can't go anywhere or do anything alone unless they're on their cell phones talking to someone else. Yesterday at the gym, I watched two very young women walking maybe 2 mph (not together) and the whole time they were talking on their phones.

Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I have had a cell phone since the early 90's and for the life of me, I cannot begin to understand how come people need to be on the phone all the time. what do they talk about? constantly.