Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  So Disappointed...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So Disappointed... Sign In/Join 
posted
I came here hoping I would find some hope that HGTV would go back to what it used to be. It looks like I'm not alone in that quest. I was an avid viewer for many years due to the home decor shows, but lately cannot even stand to watch this channel. It is part of an unfortunate trend Im noticing with all of my once-favorite channels. Dumbing down. Less variety. Same song and dance, different title. I used to like LIOLI, when it was on TLC (I believe.) Any more, I can't stand it. It IS exactly the same each and every episode, it IS unrealistic, and it IS overly dramatic. The other major complaint I have with that show in particular is Hilary's lack of consideration for the kids. I mean, no one likes toys everywhere. Im a mother myself. But come on! Not a toy in sight, not even in the areas she deems as "play rooms?" The last few episodes Ive seen involving families with young children have their play spaces totally obliterated and Hilary's dedicated "play spaces" are nothing like what children would actually enjoy spending time in. Not realistic.

I occasionally watched Selling NY/LA just to see what "the other side" is like, since I still rent. I'm saving to buy a house, so of course some shows about real estate appeal to me too. But the majority of people in this economy are looking for ways to beautify their home (whether they rent or buy) on a budget. Jobs are lost, kids are expensive, and most people are far more interested in learning how to decorate what they already have as opposed to spending lavish amounts of money they don't have to spare. Although my main career path is criminal justice, I am an amateur interior design buff, and I owe alot of that interest to HGTV's older programming. Again, unrealistic. HGTV has really lost touch with its viewers.

And these marathons? Every day? It's one thing to drop quality shows, but it's a new low when all you play are the shows people not only seem to dislike, but are blatantly telling you they are sick of. I've seen complaints on this board over a year ago saying the exact same thing people are saying today. Unless HGTV starts listening to their (remaining) fans and starts providing the variety of programs they used to, they might as well just give up. Or did they already do that?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KFaux01,

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen to all the above.

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto to the above. Don't you wonder if they ever read these boards? Who makes the decisions as to what is shown and what is thrown out? What's wrong with weekly or daytime formats? Is it just easier to run 8 hours of something no one wants to watch? (I save electricity that way, at least.) I am so disappointed in this network.

In my book, the real estate shows could disappear. Most of us are looking for ways to improve the places where we currently live. At least that's what my cronies tell me, and it's what I read on these boards. Apparently, anyone who could do something about this sad state of affairs never reads the boards...........

Today, I watched a tape of an old "Meg's Great Rooms." I found a paint color I'd like to check out. Good luck trying to find out anything from the website. Even that is convoluted now.

I find myself watching more DIYnetwork than HGTV.

Posts: 21 | Location: FL | Registered: Aug 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain, too.

The dumbing down of America is a bit disturbing. I tuned into CNN news the other day and they started off the hour with at least 5 minutes dedicated to Alex Rodriquez and his suspension. This was then followed by two stories about murder. Then they must've spent only a couple minutes on each story having to do with world affairs, health insurance, etc. Who cares about these things? They only affect our lives. Pop culture figures are more important than anyone else.

Thanks to texting, so many people can't seem to write anymore. Yet everyone is so interested in being in contact with everyone all the time.

Oh, back on topic. HGTV seems tossed between creating game shows or individual shows with a single template, which means the same flow and expected results.

I wanna know how to fix things and make things grow!

Agreed, Travelingram. I, too, tune into DIY the most.

Posts: 789 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KFaux01:

.........HGTV has really lost touch with its viewers.........

I agree, it started about 8 years ago.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7543 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with So Disappointed.
Love It or List It...HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT. The saturation is redundant. Why they show the ONE HOUR show ALL THE TIME is beyond me. When I click on HGTV and that's on, I can't change the channel fast enough. HATE IT.

Posts: 5 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Oct 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They don't even have Mike Holmes New show on HGTV. IT with Bryan Beaumler is on DIY.

Posts: 342 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't stand this show. I've stated it before many times. I wish they would listen!!

Posts: 1278 | Location: northwest NJ | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree. I will watch a few, like the high/low project, G. Gorder shows, and Candace, but they are few and far between. I wish that they would have DIY project shows like the old David Bromstad shows, Design on a Dime, etc., where you actually learn something. The Bio channel, the Hallmark channel, and some public TV channels have this type of programming and I watch those instead of HGTV.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Nov 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, I HAVE quit watching HGTV for the most part, except yesterday I watched the new High/Low shows, and if I see a new show of Color Splash or Color Confidential I will watch that, but I'm mystified about why they don't have these new shows on prime time. They would be SO much better than the stale repeats they have on prime now.
I'm only here today because I got a notification, otherwise I'm completely oblivious to what is happening on my once favorite channel. Now I'm stuck watching old repeats of Find & Design on the BIO channel. It's the show that they redo a room with flea market & yard sale finds. I sure wish certain other channels would get that "idea".

Posts: 210 | Registered: Jun 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped watching everything but House Hunters, Intl., but now I am enamoured of Flip or Flop. The woman has such good taste. I love it.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Norco, CA | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steph1111
posted Hide Post
This channel has been going down the drain for years now with no end in sight. The website has also declined. When I need decorating or renovating tips I go to HOUZZ. I check the message boards every now and then but its basically the same old tired shows and the same complaints on the message boards.

Posts: 128 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Sep 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish they would include the Canadian lineup--especially Real Potential & Leave It To Bryan. I miss Sarah Richardson!!!!!

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite HGTV TV show is: Keep It or List It

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally agree. I complained about the same thing over a year ago. I just don't get the repeated shows on buying and selling. And Love it or List It has such fake drama. It makes Hilary look like and idiot and _ _ _ _ _.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
must be really bad for HGTV they are advertising for their
sister stations Food network,travel channel diy etc.... lol turned to destination America seem to have a few good shows
tonite its "the HAUNTING" LMAO

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its been a while since Ive hopped on here. Had so many other priorities lately, especially since Im due Jan 19 but we are all expecting her earlier than that lol. Anyways, what made me remember this board was flipping through HGTVs lineup the past week or two and realizing that, as bad as I thought it had gotten a few months back..its even worse now. Just a few months ago, I could be up early and catch my old favorites like Design on a Dime or the Hi Lo project. Now, it's Love it or List it and House Hunters all day every day. That or Income Property. And while I DO like Property Brothers....I hate the fact that every last design show is gone aid has been replaced by nothing but real estate programming. Not even reruns early in the morning now. When do these design shows air, if at all? Channels like DIY and BIO are extra, have to pay for a whole package of channels I dont want just to get a couple that I do want. (which is the way cable works I suppose.) And on a side note, I have noticed an even bigger increase in dumbed down programming on other channels too. I didnt think it was possible to get worse, but now we have an oversaturation of gypsy shows on learning networks, 3 different versions of Honey Boo Boo, and something called Swamp Pawn now. Sometimes I feel like such a stick in the mud, especially since Im only 31 and by far not closed minded...but I certainly cant be the only one who feels that this whole country needs a wakeup call as far as education and priorities. I believe that the current programming on TV is merely a reflection of what our society wants these days. *Le sigh*

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are SO correct KFaux01! I was looking for SOMETHING on HGTV to watch & it was basically the same show on all night. Two hours of Love It Or List It, then House Hunters to round out the night lineup. As I've said in a previous post, I've quit watching HGTV & it's sad because I used to watch every show on there.
And you are right about the "dumbing down" of Americans, and American tv. Now if you want beautiful design & intelligent conversation you can watch Downton Abbey or maybe some other Masterpiece classic or mystery on PBS. I guess we'll just have to leave HGTV to the people buying houses.

Posts: 210 | Registered: Jun 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Omma5
posted Hide Post
as a crafter, quilter, painter...I would love to see some of the craft shows, quilting shows come back. Those of us in these areas sure do miss them too. Have no use for house hunting or learning about gypsy's!!

Posts: 4257 | Location: New York | Registered: Feb 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indycatCarol
posted Hide Post
I caught a doozey of a program the other night. Not on HGTV but something like House Hunting *****!!!! Talk about dumbing down. And there was one about Survival *****!!!!

I don't mind coming to work. But that 8 hr. wait to go home is a drag.
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x189/indycatCarol/

Posts: 3474 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post