Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TEXAS!!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Charming
posted
I posted this as part of another topic - but this drives ne NUTS! Who else gets annoye at the house hunting shows when the Americans who get all bent out of shape about the properties in country X Y, or Z are not the same as "back home"? Roll Eyes

Then there are my special group of pet peeve people who sparked this topic - Texans! (I feel that I need to put an exclamation mark after the state name. Wink )

I hope I don't offend folks oh here from Texas - we get it, you like things big and over sized. But do you have to keep telling the world? Plus, if anyone has noticed whenever Texans are on the show it makes a great drinking game - Take a shot each time one of the home buyers/renters says Texas. The person still standing at the end of 1/2 hour gets the prize!!!

Fun and Info

Posts: 3497 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 9610 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being from Louisiana, I have to agree that TEXANS are uniformly irritating, but I find it strange that someone would move away from anywhere and then look for a house that would fit in their old stomping ground but not their new. A guy I worked with loves Colorado and built his modern,chalet-style house down here in very flat Louisiana where it sticks out like a sore thumb. We need to learn the meaning of "vernacular".

Posts: 3408 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
I MUST defend Texas.

I just don't know how.

So I guess I won't.

(slinks away, head down in shame)

Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come on, santa fe, I was speaking tongue in cheek...sort of...but you have to admit that y'all are pretty full of yourselves...Smile

Posts: 3408 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
Come on, santa fe, I was speaking tongue in cheek...sort of...but you have to admit that y'all are pretty full of yourselves...Smile

I know, I know.

But at least we have a governor with nice hair. And he's good looking. And.....I can't think of the third thing.

Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can--he's not running again. I wonder how long it will take y'all to undo everything he's done. Maybe y'all will get it done before we can erase all memory of ours!!!!!

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charming:
I posted this as part of another topic - but this drives ne NUTS! Who else gets annoye at the house hunting shows when the Americans who get all bent out of shape about the properties in country X Y, or Z are not the same as "back home"? Roll Eyes

Then there are my special group of pet peeve people who sparked this topic - Texans! (I feel that I need to put an exclamation mark after the state name. Wink )

I hope I don't offend folks oh here from Texas - we get it, you like things big and over sized. But do you have to keep telling the world? Plus, if anyone has noticed whenever Texans are on the show it makes a great drinking game - Take a shot each time one of the home buyers/renters says Texas. The person still standing at the end of 1/2 hour gets the prize!!!

WOW Charming, could you have gotten more offensive to a group of people? What is the purpose of that? Why do you feel the need to bash another state, a state that belongs to your country? Your mentality completely escapes me.

Posts: 965 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Plus, if anyone has noticed whenever Texans are on the show it makes a great drinking game - Take a shot each time one of the home buyers/renters says Texas. The person still standing at the end of 1/2 hour gets the prize!!!

Sounds like you've started the drinking game by your lonesome, sorry for that Charming Frown

Posts: 965 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pitting people against people, pitting states against states, pitting politics against eachother is not a good idea and this isn't the forum to do that... there is good and bad in every town, city, state, country, why bring it up here? We find enough of it in the news, Facebook, Twitter. Charming, I thought you were beyond this trivialness, I held you in higher regard, I'm disappointed in you, simply put, you've lost my respect.

posted Hide Post
Spanish, lighten up. This is friendly banter.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
Spanish, lighten up. This is friendly banter.

Guess she hadn't noticed Texas has been the but,t of more than one joke over the years and for good reason. She may not have met many folks from the Great State. Big Grin

Spanish - as SMS posted - Lighten up! Are you this defensive in real life? If you haven't noticed, I live in SC and know how to take a joke.

Many people don't realize that SC shares their state motto with Alabama - "Thank Goodness for Mississippi!" Wink

Oh darn, now I've gone and cast aspersions on the great state of MS, when will I ever learn?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3497 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spanish Revival:
Pitting people against people, pitting states against state...

Not much for hyperbole, are you?

Way to try to hijack a light-hearted conversation. But we won't let you.

SMS, that was a good third thing.

posted Hide Post
I apologize for taking this wrong way, I obviously read something into this that is simply not there and wasn't intended in the way I interpreted the post. Sorry Charming and those that felt offended by what I wrote. I happen to like Texas and it's people, I find them friendly, but that's just me. Please accept my apology.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Thanks Spanish, you are correct in a one on one the folks from Texas are great, we even have a few really good representatives on the board. Wink

Fun and Info

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
All's well, Spanish. Thanks.

Picture of AKsunny99
posted Hide Post
Alaska's unofficial motto is "Alaska - pi.ssing off Texas since 1959!" Smile (1959 is the year of our statehood).

PS: I happen to love Texas too as I am seriously considering moving there some day. Smile

Posts: 3077 | Location: Anchorage, AK USA | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsunny99:
Alaska's unofficial motto is "Alaska - pi.ssing off Texas since 1959!" Smile (1959 is the year of our statehood).

PS: I happen to love Texas too as I am seriously considering moving there some day. Smile

LOL - Kind of like I posted above about Mississippi. Wink

Fun and Info

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsunny99:

My original response apparently got caught in the censor police web. Anyway, according to legend, a Texas politician stated, after an Alaskan politician remarked that Alaska would be the largest state in the US, "Wait till it melts."

What with all the environmental changes happening, soon (in the next 400 years or so), the rest of the world will know what Texans know: we really ARE the largest state.

In Colorado some time ago, there was a bumper sticker aimed at all the Texans who came there to ski, "If G*d had meant for Texans to ski, he would have given them mountains."

Charming, I've heard that exact Mississippi quote used here, too. Whom does Mississippi make fun of?

SMS, don't be shy, where are you located? The rest of us would like to feel smug in knowing that you, too, come from a place that we can make fun of....if we feel like it. Goodness knows everyone else who has responded to this thread has plenty to be made fun of.

posted Hide Post
Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be a downer and I'm not saying anything against TX, but it will be under water at the same time Alaska is gone. My daughter lives in Houston, a mile from the Gulf. Their whole neighborhood is sinking. Not kiddin', I was just there. They live in a wonderful suburb where all the houses need new cement supports to prop up their foundations. The sidewalks all look like roller coasters.

Have any of you ever flown over FL? It looks like swiss cheese, because of all the lakes and waterways.

And, all the states have quirky people. I live in the heart of Michigan, where the schools close in the fall for deer hunting season.

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jul 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
santa fe, I "brag" about being from Louisiana in many of my posts! And heaven knows we are the butt of jokes ALL the time. One of my favorite jokes poking fun at ourselves involves being shot the bird and nodding "We're still number one!!!!"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

posted Hide Post
sms - LOL!!!

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jul 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I added my location. Let's see if it shows. YES!!!! Now let the abuse begin....

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
Oh, that's right, you're the one who said you were from Louisiana. Yeah, good fodder there.

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
Hey, I think we should throw out our suggestions for regional design touches, unless you were involved in this very discussion several years ago.

I'll throw out one: It ain't home till you take the wheels off and put the toilet out.

posted Hide Post
Well, let's see...my father always told my mother (the Cajun) that it was every Cajun's dream to change their name and move to Port Arthur. That really chapped her a**. And we always referred to brown paper grocery bags as matching luggage.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Well in our area the yard is not complete until you've added white rocks and a pink flamingo or two.

My family is from southeastern NC and raked dirt is considered the finishing touch.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
I have alot of friends that live in Austin and I think it's a pretty awesome place to live.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
Raked dirt. Matching luggage. Cracked me up.

Do you bother to take down your Christmas lights? Why?

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by santa_fe:
Raked dirt. Matching luggage. Cracked me up.

Do you bother to take down your Christmas lights? Why?

Why do that? Just have to put them up again in September.

Fun and Info

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
Let me ask you this:

If your screen door is torn, do you:

1. Blend in with everyone else in your neighborhood.
2. Hang a fly strip at the door.
3. Use duct tape to mend it.
4. Do nothing because you figure it'll still work on the dumb 'skeeters and flies.

posted Hide Post
Are you kidding? My neighborhood is so posh these days that I'm the only one WITH screen doors!!! I also still have the clothesline poles in my back yard. I keep meaning to restring the darn thing and start hanging out my sheets and towels again.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I just came upon this old message, but had to reply. As a native Texan, I always cringe at the stereotypical Texans portrayed on these so-called "reality shows", who are clearly given a script. We know that they don't represent most Texans. We sit back and watch as hordes of Yankees move to our fair state every year, and without exception the ones I meet remark on the amazing friendliness and hospitality of Texas.
I know you are only kidding, and secretly are jealous Smile It's ok - everyone needs a scapegoat and we are happy to oblige!

Said in all friendliness!! You are welcome to come and visit anytime! (Have you watched the new show "Fixer Upper"? The hosts are great examples of real Texans)

Posts: 40 | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
I think the Gaines represent the "silent majority" of Texans, those who don't get into the glitz of city/suburb living in places like Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin. I like the show for that reason.

I can't tell you how many times I've been out of state, noted some raucous people, then stated to whomever I was with, "I'll bet they're from Texas." No kidding, within moments, they manage to announce that they're from Texas. OR, I see some woman who looks quite made up to be on a walking along a lighthouse in Oregon or day hiking in Durango, and I suspect she's from Texas. And once engaged in conversation, she confirms this as though her glamour shot look hadn't already given her away. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Ahh, Plano! The epicenter of McMansions and plastic surgeons Smile You are right about the silent majority, though. I wonder how many Texans you come across when you are out of state that you never know are from here because they do NOT conform to that stereotype. Probably a lot more than you realize. Every state has it's bad apples and those are the ones that get noticed and give a bad name to the whole state, unfortunately.

Posts: 40 | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carrie12:
Ahh, Plano! The epicenter of McMansions and plastic surgeons Smile You are right about the silent majority, though. I wonder how many Texans you come across when you are out of state that you never know are from here because they do NOT conform to that stereotype. Probably a lot more than you realize. Every state has it's bad apples and those are the ones that get noticed and give a bad name to the whole state, unfortunately.

Wow. You read into what I wrote that I recognize every single Texan I see when I'm on vacation? Roll Eyes

Picture of radiolady
posted Hide Post
Tell me about it. LOL I watched an episode where the female half of the couple must have said "Colorado" about 15 times. Does anyone else remember that episode? Hahah- every five seconds she had to input how "in Colorado..." as if it's on another planet.

Oh! And ANOTHER thing! Speaking of them criticizing things in other countries- everyone complains about the small kitchens. Who do these people think they ARE? Julia Child created her masterpieces in a tiny French kitchen- what makes these yokels think they need a gymnasium-sized "open concept" with 6 burner stove to reheat their Kraft dinners?
They also never fail to opine how "weird!" the separated toilet in the bathrooms are in French homes- 'scuse me, but that is not uncommon even in USA. Nice homes all have those.

I have a strong feeling that once these people come back to the US after living in their "weird" homes overseas, they are going to whine and complain about how things are "so different" here and "not what we were used to.. in FRANCE.." ugh. These people are such phonies!

John 1:8

Posts: 13 | Location: Houston | Registered: Jan 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Teva
posted Hide Post
It really irriates me when they tell the realtor they want something in London or France Old World. They want to live like the locals. Ha--The first apt. is to small, the kitchen is not modern and open concept, they want to live near the center of town and don't weant to drive a car. What in the world do they think the locals are living in?

Posts: 131 | Registered: Jul 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post