Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elbow Room Sign In/Join 
posted Hide Post
Chip and his team did a wonderful job transforming the gigantic, ugly steel shed into a three car garage that tied in with the design of the home and allowed for a well planned entertaining space between the two buildings. The result was beautiful. If this couple does have a child, they may regret giving up the side yard. I think this house was on a corner lot, and I didn't see a place where they could make a play area, although they may have some room on the other side of the house.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jul 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Chip and his team did another great job! A moveable wall, a revolving flat screen TV and subway tile on the ceiling. The homeowner was really happy with his new office. His wife got a beautiful new office with orange accents...I loved it.

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the July 28th episode showed more of Chip's outside the box thinking while using his engineering background. The basement redo was unique with the moveable wall, rotating TV and video projection capabilities of the glass desktop. He also made the wife's upstairs office area more appealing and professionally functional.

I do think more people would watch this show if it had a night slot. I like the idea of putting it with the Wednesday night guy line up.
Those that aren't watching the show are missing one of HGTV's most creative endeavors.

posted Hide Post
its 2012, would it kill these people to list the products and/or sources on the episode page? Hey,how about posting a handful of photos as well. What is this; 1999?

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Oct 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kolakowj, ironically, in 1999, you could go to the website and find pictures, sources and products. This program is interesting and creative. One less repeat of Love It or List It or Property Brothers a week should be found for a prime time slot for this show.

Posts: 108 | Location: Northern California | Registered: Feb 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For fans of great transformations, Chip Wade and company are at in again on Saturday mornings. This time he tears part of the roof off a house to make a large master suite for a couple that need a retreat of their own. The result is beautiful and open, a little too much for my taste. It's a great show for remodeling and design fans.

Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Lucky me! I have my DVR set to record Elbow Room so I was very glad to see the season premiere today.

I also thought it was a little too open. I would have wanted the bathroom to be closed off from the bedroom. Was there a toilet? I will have to watch my tape again to see if I missed it.

I always enjoy seeing what renovations Chip comes up with in his designs.

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chip is back in action doing some amazing remodels, but you'll have to set you DVR since it's on early Saturday morning. His most recent project involved transforming a carport into a guest room/office space complete with pocket wall and remote bed. He also redid the kitchen as a surprise for the family that just had a new baby.
Great job!!!

Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I really like the work that Chip does. He tries to make things extra special for his clients. That bed was great. I expected to see it fold up into the wall like a regular Murphy bed. That was a good idea for a guest room.

I was also glad to see little "big" brother on the scene and not sent to a baby sitter.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mriley,

posted Hide Post
Just caught Elbow Room absolutely great show. Does anyone know where the accordion style Murphy bed came from. This would be perfect for my cabin up north

Posts: 3 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: May 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chip and team did a wonderful job opening up a boxy ranch so that all members of the family can enjoy the space together. He and his team of the Macgyvers of home reno; you never know what they will invent to address a problem. This time it was a massive coffee table with a built in gaming chair and mini nail salon. I love the way they customize features for the homeowners.

Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I also liked the computer/work space that rose up out of the countertop of the island. A good place to pay bills or look up something on the computer. Marylee

Picture of tessavery
posted Hide Post
I just watched my first episode of Elbow Room and was blown away. Never has a design expert so perfectly matched my style and my creativity. I have always come up with some crazy design ideas but have rarely been able to bring them to fruition. Chip is amazing. I love the fact that his family makes guest appearances. It shows that he doesn't just create a space, he actually thinks of how the family is going to be able to use that space cohesively. I will be recording every episode to get to know more about this show and it's incredible designer and his crew. Thank you Chip for bringing me into the HGTV family.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: May 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
tessavery, Welcome to the Message Board. I hope you will post often.

I agree with you..Chip and his team do a wonderful job. He comes up with ideas that are different and useful. He always thinks of ways to help the families he is working for. I hope his show stays on for a long time. Marylee

posted Hide Post
For all you Elbow Room fans, HGTV will have two new episodes on this Wed. at 7:00 or 8:00 PM depending on time zones. You know they won't do any promo so be sure to watch or set your DVR.

posted Hide Post
The two new episodes of Elbow Room were great and reminded me of the HGTV of the old days. Chip and team are the wizards of reno. In both episodes they improved the space and function with unique, tasteful improvements. I even liked the moveable indoor-outdoor sofa and the glass garage doors of the kitchen episode. I thought they might be "over the top, but they blended seemlessly. I wish they would talk a little bit more about their design choices so the audience could understand "why" of the choices. Great job, great show!

posted Hide Post
I guess I'm going against the grain here. I think Chip is an *excellent* carpenter and did great as a backup guy on the other shows, but I can honestly say that 90% of the design stuff he's doing I just don't like.

I mean, c'mon.. a garage door as a kitchen wall in ATLANTA? That might have worked for the Kitchen Cousins in New Jersey, but with the bugs and mosquitoes we have here? Ugh! I wish him the best of luck but this is one of the few times when so far I haven't seen anything that I like yet out of a show.

Posts: 199 | Location: Atlanta, GA. USA | Registered: Mar 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then I guess you don't appreciate Chip's aesthetic, a sort of modern, rustic, inventor craftsman. I am impressed by the quality of his work, how he listens to the family's needs, improves the flow and function of the space and ties the outside to the inside through innovation. Then, I guess you don't get it.

Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I believe that Chip and his team do amazing things. Chip is very inventive in his thinking and does things that will enhance the living areas for his clients. The workmanship is top rate...no shortcuts. I do wonder about the cost of his improvements. Marylee

posted Hide Post
quote:
you don't get it.

Why is it necessary to denigrate another poster if/when they don't agree with you?

Greg, you're not alone. We agree with you, totally. Even if we didn't, we'd respect your post.

P.S. The garage door didn't work and was ill-advised for multiple reasons (IMHO) in the LA home that was featured on the KC's program.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Homebound after surgery for awhile, I saw way too much daytime TV. BUT Elbow Room was a lovely surprise. Chip is very good and the show is so interesting. Don't know why this show is not in primetime.

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Soosie, glad you found this show. It is one of my favorites. All of Chips designs are not to my taste, but he and his team are very creative. Chip thinks about the homeowners and works to make their improvements special. Hope it stays around for a long time.

posted Hide Post
What I like is that Chip really listens to each client's needs. He has a talented group of tradesmen that are able to execute Chip's unique solutions to address the space issues in the home.
There's no phoney drama, just real problem solving. I like about 90% of what he does so I enjoy this show.

posted Hide Post
New episodes of Elbow Room will be on Saturday morning, May 10th. Set your DVR or be prepared to to watch if you're a fan of the show.

Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up, Karin.

posted Hide Post
Chip and Co. are back taking problems and making them opportunities. He created a unique multi-level basement and a beautiful kitchen in these two episodes. It's on Saturday mornings, but won't be on next week. I've missed his clever approach to construction and design; it's good to see him back on HGTV again.

We could use Chip here in the Pensacola, FL. area where so many people including lots of military families have been flooded and their properties destroyed.

posted Hide Post
I'm enjoying the shows, although I wish they had a better time slot and some promotion. I loved the two projects this week: an beautiful outdoor area and a giant barn/home redo. I thought Chip and crew did an outstanding job, especially by giving the family a huge great room with a high ceiling, and the handmade clock was a nice touch that drew the eye up to take in the full height of the ceiling.

posted Hide Post
HGTV is running a marathon of Elbow Room Tuesday morning July 8th, along with two new episodes. If you're a fan, be sure to set your DVR.

posted Hide Post
Karin, I am glad you like it. To me it is another good show idea that has run amok.

Chris appears to be a good carpenter and have good ideas but instead of the show doing practical things that the average person could afford it is over the top... Something most people would never consider. There is often ways to get more elbow room by rearranging or rethinking the space you have without huge remodels. I guess I was disappointed because it was not what I thought it would be,which is gaining elbow room in the space you have.

Posts: 7029 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have the same issue - Chip always focuses his time on some off-the-wall special project instead of using the homeowners' **$ to create a more practical, usable living environment.

JMHO.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post