Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elbow Room Sign In/Join 
posted
I saw the first show and enjoyed it. Chip Wade is smart(an engineering degree from Georgia Tech) and has learned a great deal about design from John Gidding. The home owners were delighted with the transformation. Chip is more than your average carpenter. This show is on my must see list.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jul 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DF
posted Hide Post
I just wonder why they gave him this doomed time slot.

Posts: 262 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Apr 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For most networks it'd be a bad time slot but for Networks like HGTV, FoodNet, AP and so on its probably a good time slot. There was a time where we just turned on HGTV and let if play all day while we did stuff around the house

Posts: 24 | Registered: Mar 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I liked Chip Wade's new show, Elbow Room. I liked him when he was on Curb Appeal and I think he does a good job on his new show. I liked that he checked things out before he started tearing down walls.

I thought it was neat that he fixed the drawer to be a step so the homeowner could reach the top cabinets. That was a thoughtful thing for him to do.

When the homeowner didn't say anything when she saw the rooms, I was afraid she didn't like the makeover. Even though she saw the work in progress, I guess the finished product was really awesome for her.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mriley,

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chip did an incredible job redesigning the attic space over the garage of a home. By adding a dormer and dropping the ceiling of the garage 18,"
he gave the family lots of multifunctional space with clever details like a custom glass door and a coffee table with built in hydraulics. I am sure he also gave them more than $35,000 (the budget) in instant equity. He can come to my house anytime!

posted Hide Post
When is this show on?

Posts: 7029 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Karin, I agree. Chip did an amazing job. I loved the space he built.

Metwo, this show airs at 1:00pm on Saturdays.

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like this show. Chip is such an easy going guy- and not only knows what he is doing, but also has a good group of people working with him to make sure it all gets done right.

I was also disappointed at the odd time slot and lack of advertising. I ran across it quite by accident.

I can't remember what time it airs here- but it is Saturday morning (MDT) which doesn't work for TV viewing.... another DVR show for me.

It seems that HGTV has some really great shows that they air at less watched times, they don't advertise, and they don't repeat. This seems just another way to say "...yeah, we will air the show, but we aren't really committed to it."

Sad, really. Too many good programs don't last long because they don't get the viewers, and they don't get the viewers because it is carefully hidden in the schedule.

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jul 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
TQ, you are so right. Showhouse Showdown was at 2pm on Saturdays and they didn't show very many episodes.

A show I like but never see mentioned here is "Professional Grade." It is on at 7am on Wednesdays.

Many times I have not heard about a show until it was mentioned here on the Board and by then I have missed the first episode, ie: Junk Gypsies and Design Wars...both of which come to mind.

I have started marking my calendar the first time I hear anything about a new show and when a season will start for an old show. That is how I was able to watch Elbow Room. Otherwise, I would probably have missed it. I really like this show and I agree, Chip and his people do an excellent job. I believe he uses the people skills he learned working with John Gidding.

posted Hide Post
The only way I can be sure to catch the show is to set my DVR to a series recording. That way it will tape all new episodes. I agree that HGTV should advertise some of these shows more. If people are only looking at prime time, they will miss some good shows.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I caught the end of the show. I didn't care for the hydraulic coffee table. The bed in the new bedroom space was awkwardly placedther than those 2 problems I thought it was a great transformation of space.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3511 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loved it- he did a lot for a 35K budget.

Posts: 342 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After viewing the May 26th episode, I was once again impressed with the master suite Chip and his team did. Although the style was a bit too rustic for my taste, Chip transformed a two bedroom, two bath house into a three bedroom three bath home that was a lot more functional for the home owners. I loved the hair dryer drawer and flip out seat, a very creative use of space.

posted Hide Post
I too loved this episode. Chip listened to the homeowners and gave them a gorgeous and functional master suite. This sort of scenario, to me, makes MUCH MORE SENSE than that wack show Love it or List it. Adding an extra bedroom and bathroom (a master suite at that) increases the value of the house by a lot I am sure.

I agree that the timeslot is random. I set it up for series recording on my DVR so that I don't miss any episodes. I certainly haven't seen any ads for it.

On the topic of new shows that were not advertised, has anyone seen that show Going Yard? This is the second Saturday now that I've seen a new episode showing at around 4pm-ish. Does anyone know this show?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FalleavesMD,

Posts: 50 | Registered: Jun 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I agree with everyone. Chip and his team did a wonderful job. I really like this show.

Falleaves, I watch Going Yard and I like it. I did not see any advertisement on it. When it was mentioned months ago, I marked my calendar and that is the only way I knew to watch for it. I really don't understand how HGTV works sometimes. I think Going Yard is more down-to-earth than the Yard Crashers. Hope it stays around.

Picture of Ohsquared
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the show, but I thought the proportions of the master suite were off. I understand that it met the needs of the homeowners, but the bedroom seemed tiny compared to that huge, empty bathroom.

Posts: 81 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Nov 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the June 1st episode, Chip shows that he can expand homeowner's space in clever, unique ways. He gave the family a den with a semi-private office area. He also built an indoor-outdoor table that slides through the wall. The homeowners seemed to like it, but I don't know how functional it would be. I would be concerned about losing energy with the hole drilled through the wall. It is certainly a conversation piece. So far, it is one of the better shows I've seen on HGTV recently. Chip is a good host, and he seems to like to challenge himself.

Picture of lonebugs
posted Hide Post
I like the show! Lets see more!

Posts: 95 | Location: CA | Registered: Feb 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure why this show isn't advertised by HGTV. Its one of their GEMS. They seem to have abandoned Curb Appeal the Block as well.

Posts: 342 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
professorc: Curb Appeal The Block is now just "Curb Appeal"- they are still in the SF Bay area (without Chip)- It airs on Saturday afternoons- I think right after the new show "Going Yard".

And I agree that Elbow Room is probably HGTV's best kept secret. It makes me sad when the shows I like best are never advertised and are given odd time slots. It shows a lack of commitment on the part of HGTV to this kind of show.

But I will enjoy Elbow Room while it lasts! Hmmmm... maybe I could find a way to post about it on my Facebook page and do my own advertising for it?

Yes! That is what I'll do!

Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Go for it, TQ and good luck. Hope it helps get the word out there.

Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Just watched Elbow Room. As usual Chip and his team did a great job. He thought of so many things that the homeowner would like and want. The homeowner seemed really happy with his new space. I really like this show.

posted Hide Post
Chip transformed a basement into a more functional "man cave" with a lounge area, mini putting hole and workout room. He fixed up the outdoor area by adding an outdoor kitchen and new grill. He usually adds an unexpected element like the pivot entrance door and retractable screen. The home owner and his family were very pleased with the results; it was a lovely surprise for this career police officer.

posted Hide Post
Chip first started on Designed to Sell with Lisa LaPorta, as one of the carpenters. (My all time favorite show and designer). I think he may have moved to John Giddings Designed to Sell before moving to Curb Appeal. He definitely learned a lot from both designers and has his own unique concepts. I wish the good programs were on the weeknights with more exposure. For instance, Deck Wars, brought over from DIY, is on Saturday 6:00 a.m. I do not have a DVR so miss out on great programming.

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chip's renovation of the kitchen in today's episode was great.

I love love LOVED the doors to the outside that he put in. I also loved the retractable wine bar and coat rack and the area for the dog bowls. Chip is such a thoughtful contractor. I really appreciate the fact that he tries his best to marry function and aesthetics.

Good job yet again, Chip!

Picture of MsWildhack
posted Hide Post
I love this show, too. I just can't understand why HGTV thinks that people want all the phony "drama" of shows like HH, HHI, and LIOLI.

I'd rather watch uneventful, real design and RE shows than all the staged stuff.

------------------------------------------------
I've been around...well, all right, I might not have been around, but I've been....nearby.
-from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Posts: 400 | Registered: Jun 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I also love this show and really enjoy watching a show without drama. Chip and his team always do a wonderful job.

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately HGTV is also following the reality show trend and are on board to give us more, including double the amount of HH and HHI (their favorite show). They are also planning more new shows featuring hosts, their lives, remodeling and selling houses, complete with all the drama and idiocy. And if that weren't enough HGTV thinks we all want more celebrity driven shows featuring how the rich and famous live. A small segment of the programming would be fine with these types of shows, but I guess HGTV isn't about teaching or inspiring anymore, it's just mindless entertainment like everywhere else.

Posts: 25 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by susan2214:
but I guess HGTV isn't about teaching or inspiring anymore, it's just mindless entertainment like everywhere else.

It pains me to say I think you are right.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by susan2214:
Unfortunately HGTV is also following the reality show trend and are on board to give us more, including double the amount of HH and HHI (their favorite show). They are also planning more new shows featuring hosts, their lives, remodeling and selling houses, complete with all the drama and idiocy. And if that weren't enough HGTV thinks we all want more celebrity driven shows featuring how the rich and famous live. A small segment of the programming would be fine with these types of shows, but I guess HGTV isn't about teaching or inspiring anymore, it's just mindless entertainment like everywhere else.

Sadly true. The current programming is a waste of my cable fee. I wish another channel would pick up the slack. There's such an underserved audience who want gardening, crafting and decorating shows.

Posts: 1890 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the retractable wine and kiddie storage solutions were amazing. It just shows how Chip listens to the homeowners' space issues and addresses the solutions in a totally custom, unique way. He may just have saved the homeowners from leaving a home that they loved, but wasn't working for them. He gave a way to tame the clutter and chaos so they could enjoy their home. By changing the doors, he added additional entertainment space on the deck with great flow. Bravo!

posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought the retractable wine and kiddie storage solutions were amazing

This reminds me so much of the innovative little touches that John Giddings would incorporate into the Designed to Sell houses.

I can't help but wonder if Chip was the real brilliance behind those touches, or if John's influence rubbed off on Chip.... or if they are just both creative geniuses!

posted Hide Post
I just watched this episode off my DVR and LOVED IT! Wow! He had special, unique touches everywhere. The carriage doors were beautiful, the butcher block countertop extension was genius. The retractable storage and the plinko wine game were great. But my favorite were those arches and the columns (not sure the proper terminology) going from the kitchen to the dining room. Beautiful work!

Posts: 87 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought Chip's mid-century redo was a huge improvement over the chopped up lodge feel the home had before. The place had high ceilings before, but the custom trusses were beautiful and functional as were the swinging bar and kitchen heat lamps. Also, by reducing the size of the loft and painting the ceiling white, he made the place brighter with bold color and a less "dungeon like" feel it had before. He was also able to help people that had been ripped off by a dishonest contractor. Let's hope the run away contractor did a better job on the roof than he did on the peeling floor!

posted Hide Post
LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT, A HOST THAT ACTUALLY WORK AND NOT JUST COME IN TO DO THE EASY STUFF

Posts: 37 | Registered: Feb 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Another great show! I was a little worried when the homeowner chose magenta as her color, but it turned out to be a beautiful countertop and she was really happy. They even ran into a problem, but no drama. That makes for a good show.

posted Hide Post
How refreshing Chip Wade's remodel of this '70s house is! His innovative and creative ideas truly matched the home owners personalities. I enjoyed this episode particularly since there was nothing cookie cutter about the design and use of materials. This show needs some serious advertising!

Posts: 1 | Location: Bellevue, WA | Registered: Jun 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did everyone notice that it is John Giddings production company that produces this?

posted Hide Post
That actually makes sense. I am really enjoying this show and the fact that it's not getting any publicity makes me sad.

Oh well... I guess I will enjoy it while it lasts.

posted Hide Post
I was blown away buy Chip's kitchen/extension and yard remodel. He turned an ugly, tiny kitchen and porch into a beautiful, updated, open kitchen. The frameless glass walls were amazing. I'd like to know where to buy these. He said that he had to have them sent from Turkey. He also built a beautiful outdoor fireplace and pizza oven. He once again used his signature custom touches in the moveable swing and personalized game table. It was a great way to thank a military family for their service and sacrifice.

posted Hide Post
That entire space was spectacular. Chip does it again. If I ever move to Atlanta I would absolutely hire Chip and his team in a heartbeat. This show is such a breath of fresh air

posted Hide Post
quote:
The frameless glass walls were amazing. I'd like to know where to buy these.

A quick internet search will give several results of U.S. merchants that handle them. I have no idea why some designers have to say they get things from outside the country... to make it sound more exclusive? or more expensive? How silly.

Posts: 7029 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belle_N_Lex
posted Hide Post
I agree this is a standout show amongst all the house buying / selling shows. Found it totally by accident one saturday afternoon. Chip has always been one of my favorite "supporting cast members" in previous HGTV shows. So thankful HGTV gave him a chance to show his talents, skills and basic good guy qualities. A builder AND designer who can actually deliver a quality show AND give the homeowners exactly what they want/need AND no staged 'drama' to insult the intelligence of the viewers. Down right refreshing?

Belle

Posts: 624 | Registered: Sep 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I checked my channel listings and Elbow Room does not seem to be listed this week.

posted Hide Post
Once again, Chip and his team did an AMAZING JOB.

They redid a back yard with a treehouse for the homeowners' kids. When I saw the model plans I literally went "Wowwww!" and the finished product gave me goosebumps. The kids didn't even know which part of it they wanted to explore first and the kids were so adorable! Even the adults were having a ball exploring with all parts of the treehouse including that awesome zip line. That back yard will surely be enjoyed by that family for many many years.

A+ Chip! I really do love this show!

Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I somehow missed taping last week's show so I made sure I got it today. The tree house was awesome.

At first I was worried about the girls going up the rope ladder, but they had no problem.

If the little boy who went with Chip and the family to the display building was Chip's son, he surely was a cutey. I think it was a great idea to let the girls and the parents help choose what would go into the play area.

I always enjoy this show, but this week was special and I agree that the girls were adorable.

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
The tree house was excellent! I was so jealous. Those girls were great. Animated and physically active. Mom and Dad weren't pushing any sort of doll house or princess theme. Seemed like the more jumping, swinging, climbing, the better. Kudos to Chip, the parents, and the girls.

Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tree house episode made me wish I was that family.

HEY HGTV why aren't you emphasizing this show, Curb Appeal and Hometown Renovation more? These are the best programs you have on the air!

Picture of lavern2
posted Hide Post
I finally found and caught Elbow Room...

Chip is awesome!!!

He's genuine, knowledgeable, professional and such a sweetheart - He actually gives the homeowners what they want.

The way he designed that detached shed/garage to include gorgeous outdoor entertaining space for the couple who were having fertility issues, was brilliant.

PLEASE HGTV, move Elbow Room to primetime or at least add it to the "Wednesday Night Guys" lineup. Smile

Posts: 1026 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: Jan 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've come to look forward to Saturday afternoons just to see what Chip and his team does.

I absolutely loved what they did for this couple. It was just such a beautiful way to reimagine the garage/shed and use the deck to connect it to the main house. I also loved the garage doors that Paddy and the other guy made. It was a reall nice way to do something for that couple given that they have to divert their money to starting a family. Those treatments are so expensive and often not guaranteed to work.

I wish all the best and happiness to that couple. They really deserved that makeover and I hope that soon their home will be filled with the laughter of their own kids.