HGTV Message Boards
Can I Say Something About Paula Deen

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4104031632/m/1803957177

Jun 29, 2013, 11:42 PM
Leafly
Can I Say Something About Paula Deen
I've been traveling, I know only what I've heard mainly on the 24 hour news shows.
I got annoyed at a journalist or entertainment writer. I can't remember who. It might have been a writer of a column that I read while on a plane.

First, I must state this: I have Zero Tolerance for racists. I don't think that poor Paula is in that category.

The person that I got annoyed at wrote that Paula was a caricature of a Southerner. That's mean. The woman is original. That's what got her into trouble. She's not mean and she's not a hypocrite. She's 66. Most people can't cast the first stone, especially folks sitting in corporate boardrooms. Look at the recent news. At lot of them have done much more devastating things to little people and they lie about it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,
Jun 30, 2013, 11:26 AM
zone9alady
They pulled my first post so let me try again....
I think most of her detractors are hypo.crites themselves. There are so many examples of rac.ism from every side out there. Not many of them are being hung out to dry like Paula. The Press is having a field day with this.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye
Jun 30, 2013, 11:58 AM
metwo
I don't think the 24 hour news channels have done us any favor by existing. They make mountains out of molehills. I am disappointed at the number of businesses that have jumped on the bandwagon about something that happened 40 years ago. I remember being in the south 40 years ago and the term was used occasionally and I was surprised until I realized it was not being used in a derogatory way. It was just a word they grew up with.

It will make people wonder if they should be honest in court proceedings because it will come back to haunt them.
Jun 30, 2013, 01:13 PM
steph1111
O.K. first post was scrubbed, so I'll try again. It not just the use of the one word that is causing such an uproar, Google and read the deposition. It is the totality of the allegations of workplace misconduct, employees not being promoted because of the color of their skin,employees not allowed to work in the dining room because of their dark complexions and some sort of Pre-Civil War style party with African Americans dressed in uniforms of that era. And numerous disturbing instances against her brother that she did nothing about. Please research the person your defending, there are plenty of bloopers with Paula in a less than a shining light.

Also considering the fact that she has made millions selling Southern black recipes you would think she would know better.
Jun 30, 2013, 08:08 PM
Leafly
Twenty four hour news channels don't seem to utilize journalism that is practiced with principle. Allegations are not fact. They need to wait for the court decision. To make money and fill time they talk about allegations.
I remember when journalists were concerned about their credibility. Now they push entertainment and sensationalism. ...And we soak it up.

Jun 30, 2013, 08:22 PM
Leafly
I appreciate Public T.V. with escalating devotion.
Jun 30, 2013, 10:44 PM
steph1111
Paula's current troubles are based on her deposition, her words, the MSM did not put words into her mouth. Sponsers did not drop her based on accusations they dropped her based on her actions and admissions.

People will find anyway to justify bi.goty. She should be held accountable for her rac.ist words and actions.
Jul 01, 2013, 01:28 PM
santa_fe
I hate 24/7 news because it's too filled with pop culture and gossip. But I can tune out, which I pretty much do. Still,I resent the fact that I've heard the name Kardashian or know of celebrity bad behavior because that kind of crap surfaces on the evening news.

Every time something happens, there's this knee-jerk reaction and people take sides and call for someone's head to roll. I don't excuse Paula Deen for things she might have said and her being 66 and southern is no excuse. At the same time, she has no impact on my life and never will.
Jul 06, 2013, 01:45 AM
Leafly
At sixty six years of age, Paula Deen has witnessed integration occurring in the South. Her age is a significant part of this story. I am younger that her. Over 45 five years ago, I witnessed my school being integrated. It was a positive step. In her interview that occurred before the 's candal' erupted, she indicated that the use of the N word was a ugly word that she regretted using. She was truthful when she admitted that yes, 25 years ago she had used it. Well Oh my Gosh, let's tear her 'a part' in the Roman coliseum transported to America. She used the N word like 10 million other people in the North and the South. Times have changed for the best. Now, that ugly word is looked down upon. The people who use it are viewed as low class. They should be shunned as most of them are disrespectful. Over 45 years ago, I heard people use the N word. I was a child then. I don't hear it now in my circle of acquaintances. I rarely, rarely hear it in public. I heard it used over 30 years ago by a low level person at work. I'm not denying that it is not used. I am talking only about my experience. I'm thankful that I don't hear it.

People should watch the interview of Paula with her black friend that is on the 'Huff ington' Post site. She holds hands with him. He kissed her. 'Huffing ton' spins it like the truth isn't there for people to discern. Please watch it.

The for profit corporations don't care what she did but they do care about their profits. They view gossip and false perceptions as bad news. It doesn't matter what the truth might be. What matters is the perceived truth. The bottom line is money.

Talk TV thrives on the same thing.

Lets all go the the coliseum to see the lions and wild animals splatter 'bloo d'. The owners crank up the show. More money.

It's a shame.

I appreciate everyone's comments but I will agree to disagree, nicely.

Jul 06, 2013, 08:57 AM
shaunro
Leafly,

You are posting garbage about some has-been cook and the media in general on the hgtv show board.

Is there some reason why you don't post this drivel about PD on the Food Network boards?

How about hopping over to CNN and posting your great concerns about the media?

You might wish to reread the guidelines b/4 you continue.

See any hgtv shows you would like to discuss?
Jul 06, 2013, 10:14 AM
Charming
News alert - PD 2013 is a charicature of her earlier self.

Second, Breaking News - 25 yers ago was 1988 - not exactly Jim Crow era in the South.

Finally Steph nailed it - it is not just the one word - it is her history of not treating all equally.

I take strong exception to the posters who take issue with PD's actions over the years as hypo crits. Mad

I grew up in the South in the 50's. Many people PD's age either realized how wrong that was and know how pervasive such thoghts still are - witness many of the laws being passed in our country - or they still have the Jim Crow mentality engrained.

Fun and Info
Jul 06, 2013, 11:43 AM
Charming
To cool the topic off a bit, any serious cooks would have to agree what she prepares on her programs is almost inedible! Yuck

She does have some decent deserts in her early cookbooks - but the woman cannot cook vegetables! She cooks anything green within an inch of mush.

Southern Chefs like Nathalie Dupree of Charleston are much better examples of Southern cuisine than PD. In a vote on Southern home style restaurants in Savannah, Mrs. Wilkes wins hands down every time!

Fun and Info
Jul 06, 2013, 06:46 PM
sms29s66
I am 64, born and bred in southern Louisiana, and I have known all along that such language is NEVER acceptable, so Paula Deen does not get a pass due to her age or origins so far as I'm concerned.
Jul 07, 2013, 03:03 PM
mgo287
some of you people are nuts. justifying and supporting a bigot. her use of the N word was the least of her bigotry. wanting to throw a slave themed party with well dressed Mandingo slaves was the worse. her mentality is the issue, not one or two indiscretions.

and what i find worse is, she may not be able to help who she is, being a bigot, but whats worse are those justifying and rationalizing her abhorrent behavior.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mgo287,
Jul 07, 2013, 09:09 PM
Leafly
Let me see. Maybe we could take her driver's license away and abolish her voting privileges.
We could also take away her homeowners insurance and medical coverage. She is so horrible. She has apologized for those words. She was doing that when she admitted to using the N word. People grow and change. They mature. They learn. She should have just lied about it. Yep, she should have just lied. Several government and corporate leaders do that. Yep, A 'l iar'. That's what she should be.
Jul 07, 2013, 11:18 PM
sms29s66
No, we don't want to take away her drivers license, etc, but we can all choose whose products we will purchase, whose TV shows we will watch, etc. Her sponsors are well aware of that and do not want to lose our business. I always get amused when the rich and famous are flabbergasted by the consequences of their actions.
Jul 08, 2013, 09:02 AM
Charming
quote:
Originally posted by Leafly:
Let me see. Maybe we could take her driver's license away and abolish her voting privileges.
We could also take away her homeowners insurance and medical coverage. She is so horrible. She has apologized for those words. She was doing that when she admitted to using the N word. People grow and change. They mature. They learn. She should have just lied about it. Yep, she should have just lied. Several government and corporate leaders do that. Yep, A 'l iar'. That's what she should be.

Leafly, Sorry we all wasted so much time on our response to your topic. It seems you only want the sunshine and roses about PD.

Your reply to honest comments was juvenile and unfortunately over the past couple of years that is what her on screen persona has become.

Yes, she has her champions and she has always had her detractors. She put herself out there - warts and all for the public.

Now read this slowly - her problem is not poor word choice (putting it lightly) and not which year she last chose to use such common ie vulgar language but her treatment of employees. If you place employees in your business based on the color of their skin, that is illegal. I know of no corporation that wants that to taint their products.

Like it or not corporations pay attorneys lots of money to tell them that for their products the PD's of the world could be toxic and they should reconsider their relationship with that person.

If her handlers had any common sense, because it seems PD is lacking in that category, they would have her cool it until after the case comes to trial or is settled.

Fun and Info
Jul 08, 2013, 10:20 AM
metwo
Charming, as far as I can tell these are allegations. It is not fair to condemn someone or a company on an allegation. (I do not believe the complaint has been settled). I would guess that the majority of companies have had allegations made about them, some true, some not.

I think is unfair to people to condemn someone because of unproven allegations. Use of the the word is a fact (yes,she could have lied like so many others) but the allegations about workplace bias are not.
Jul 08, 2013, 11:07 AM
AC Fan
The Food Network face book page has already been destroyed by Paula supporters so those of us that go there to read about food and recipes don't enjoy it anymore. I certainly hope this isn't going to happen here because this isn't the place for it. I don't have a dog in this race and can take her or leave her though she has crossed the line at times when she grins saying things like I like rubbing my umm.... meat... and talks about making her balls when one of her sons is on the show....defintely a double meaning there. They actually look a little embarrassed and quickly change the subject. I do find it strange that her fans say they are no longer watching all the shows on FN and even their sister station Cooking Channel since both of Paula's sons have shows on both of these channels. So if they no longer watch they are also hurting Paula's sons and I doubt she wants that to happen. I would think Bobby's show especially is in danger since his show Not My Mama's Cooking has her on at the beginning and end of each show. They may rethink the name of his show and not have her on it or they may not renew his contract if posters keep antagonizing them. JMO
Jul 08, 2013, 11:43 AM
zone9alady
This thread is getting a little too ridiculous don't you think? All you self righteous people who scorn the likes of Paula Dean all, and I mean all of you have done or said things in your life that are not, shall I say, "Politically Correct". Oh, how I hate that phrase. The mere fact that some of you are bombasting Leafly for her comments makes you guilty.

FYI, I do NOT follow Paula Deen nor do I have any of her cookbooks. I tried a recipe of hers once and it was nasty. So it's not that I even like her it's the fact that the general public is so indignant and are acting like lemmings running over the "Lets Ban Paula Deen Cliff".

Really think about why you are arguing...
Do you honestly believe you can "cast the first stone?" I don't think so unless you are JC himself.

Danny Kaye
Jul 08, 2013, 11:50 AM
sms29s66
zone, at what point IS it all right to take a stand?
Jul 08, 2013, 12:40 PM
zone9alady
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:

You say "take a stand" as if this is a Supreme Court deciding case. There are so many greater and more prolific issues that we as Americans should be worried about. Like U.S. companies buying cheaper products from China that are subpar making us sick. Or, telling people who can or who can't get married, or who can or who can't have an ab.ort.ion.
PD is one person who mistakenly admitted to past indiscretions. We all have past indiscretions, should we all have our lives torn apart by them? And those of you that say you don't, you are not being honest with yourself. Some of you say you have never used the "N" word in your entire life....psssft! How about any other words to describe Italians, Germans, Jews, Spanish, Asian, poor country people, handicapped people? Really? None of you?

That's all I'm saying....he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

Danny Kaye
Jul 08, 2013, 01:00 PM
sms29s66
So your argument is akin to Don't oppose robbing banks because m urder is so much worse??? If people DON'T object to objectionable behavior then how is the offender to learn to behave otherwise? Paula Deen is perfectly free to say whatever she wishes, but the buying public and her paying sponsors do not have to continue their association with her, do they?
Jul 08, 2013, 09:18 PM
Leafly
quote:
Originally posted by zone9alady:
quote:

You say "take a stand" as if this is a Supreme Court deciding case. There are so many greater and more prolific issues that we as Americans should be worried about. Like U.S. companies buying cheaper products from China that are subpar making us sick. Or, telling people who can or who can't get married, or who can or who can't have an ab.ort.ion.
PD is one person who mistakenly admitted to past indiscretions. We all have past indiscretions, should we all have our lives torn apart by them? And those of you that say you don't, you are not being honest with yourself. Some of you say you have never used the "N" word in your entire life....psssft! How about any other words to describe Italians, Germans, Jews, Spanish, Asian, poor country people, handicapped people? Really? None of you?

Jul 08, 2013, 09:30 PM
Leafly
quote:
Originally posted by Leafly:
quote:
quote:

Thank you Zone Lady! Like you I don't watch Paula's show's a lot. I know her style though. I've watched that. I don't agree with everything that she has done in the past involving actions that I read about long long before this scandal. Back then I had enough sense and life experience to know that I could not walk a mile in her shoes. The woman worked hard to be successful. She is to be given credit.

A harsh critical spirit is frowned upon in centuries old literature and millennial old wisdom literature. I wish that more young people had to read it.
I think the attacks on the woman are overdone and outrageous. A lot of people in the media and a lot of publications rush to make judgments when the facts are not in.
Editing of tapes can be dishonest. That has occurred on the Huffington site for the one recording that I saw in which she talked of her great great grandfather. They wanted to present something that is not totally accurate.

Thanks for your comments. No one is so lily white, faultless and high and mighty that they can attack someone in such a ruthless manner. They are no better than the person that they try to tear down.

All people have fallen short of the .....
Go research some wisdom literature to get the ending of that sentence please people.

Jul 08, 2013, 09:48 PM
mgo287
What are you people talking about "who without sin"?
Paula's issue wasnt that she used the N word people. It is that she is a bigot through her repeated thoughts and actions. She is only now being contrite because its hurting her in her pocketbook. People rationalizing repeated bigotry as a simple discretion floors me. Makes me wonder if they share the same mindset.
Jul 08, 2013, 09:59 PM
sms29s66
I suspect that the only reason she admitted anything is that her lawyers assured her that her accusers have her dead to rights. If the two incidents that I heard about are the ONLY ones, I'd be VERY surprised.
Jul 08, 2013, 10:05 PM
steph1111
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sms29s66:

Well considering that the Supreme Court just knocked down Affirmative Action and PD's case is about workplace racial discrimination I think it is just what we need to be worried about. It may not be important to you but it is important to the millions of African Americans, Hispanic and other ethnic groups in this country.

And no I have'nt called any of my co-workers, ethnic slurs, I would be fired.

It seems to me that the people who want to justify racial slurs or downplay the the importance of race relations in this country are the ones who want to spew their hate without repercussions.
Jul 08, 2013, 10:06 PM
mgo287
I am guessing most people havent read her deposition transcripts. Aside from using the N word, she admits to wanting to throw a slave themed party with dressed up male black slaves serving her guests. She also attributed her grandfather passing to him losing his slaves and saying it was tough on him. There is a video of her making fun of one of her black employees saying the audience couldnt see him because he was standing in front of a blackboard. There is also a quote from her which could be interpreted as her implying her black employees were more like property.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mgo287,
Jul 09, 2013, 11:11 AM
Leafly
quote:
Originally posted by mgo287:
I am guessing most people havent read her deposition transcripts. Aside from using the N word, she admits to wanting to throw a slave themed party with dressed up male black slaves serving her guests. She also attributed her grandfather passing to him losing his slaves and saying it was tough on him. There is a video of her making fun of one of her black employees saying the audience couldnt see him because he was standing in front of a blackboard. There is also a quote from her which could be interpreted as her implying her black employees were more like property.

Mgo,

Please watch the video on Huffington in which Paula talks about her grandfather. It is edited a lot. She said that her 2X great grandfather became depressed and committed suicide. That's all. She didn't say that slavery was a good thing. She was giving an account of her family history. After the war the South was devastated. Don't let media types feed you information without checking their facts. On that same tape I saw her interact with her black friend. He walked onto the stage with her after her introduction. During her fond introduction of him she expressed her deep affection and respect for him. She teased him saying something like this just before he walked out, " Now, don't you stand in front of that black board cause people might not see you" He walked out they held hands and he reached down to kiss her. Only very close friends can tease each other like that. Don't let media sensationalists tell you the altered truth. Please look at the tape yourself. She's not a sophisticate with a standardized accent. She's an original. Because of that it is easy to write comedy material about her and to poke fun. Some are having a field day with it. She doesn't have the advice of a PR firm to keep her out of trouble. Many public people hire them.
I'm not a huge Paula Deen fan but I know when a human being is being unfairly speared.
S lander, I nnuendo, Libel, False Spin, Sensationalism ... All are pulling the American way of life down.

Jul 09, 2013, 11:48 AM
zone9alady
Well, sheesh! Why don't we just slice her throat and bleed her like the pig she is!
It's hard to tame a lynch mob after they get riled up. Roll Eyes

In a few months this will all be forgotten and she will be fine...just like our good ol'friend and jailbird Martha Stewart.

Danny Kaye
Jul 09, 2013, 03:26 PM
sms29s66
I was wondering when someone would bring up Martha Stewart. The difference here is that Martha accepted her fate with grace--and a case could be made she was framed. Neither applies to Paula. I, for one, am not for slicing her up--I just don't care to support her. I am also amused by p oliticians who seem to equate forgiveness with returning them to o ffice. Can't we just wish them well with the rest of their lives and want them off the stage????
Jul 09, 2013, 04:41 PM
Leafly
Thank you for your comments Zone Lady.

To All: Peace and Best Wishes
Jul 09, 2013, 04:42 PM
zone9alady
quote:
................I, for one, am not for slicing her up--I just don't care to support her. I am also amused by p oliticians who seem to equate forgiveness with returning them to o ffice. Can't we just wish them well with the rest of their lives and want them off the stage????

And you are welcome Leafly!
Now this is a post I totally agree with! Smile
I have never been a fan, but I am not going to join the "ban" wagon either.

Danny Kaye
Jul 09, 2013, 05:20 PM
Leafly
OH BOY,

DO I EVER LOVE PEANUT BUTTER!

I used it to give my dogs their oral flea pills. It's wonderful. No Spitting. Hurray

They stand there and they work their mouth like they're kneading dough. Like a paddle the tongue goes out one side and then the other. They yawn peanut butter and they can't separate the pill from the food. Awesome for now, until they get smart.

I just about lost my religion last time. I had used lunch meat for quite a while as a disguise to roll around the pill. One dog got smart. She took the ham and spit the pill out. I went through a half pack of ham. She still didn't get all of the pill but she's not the one who suffers the most from fleas so things were passable.

Jul 09, 2013, 06:35 PM
Leafly
I saw two cute boys acting like Zombies at the vacation resort a few weeks ago.

So, here's another use for peanut butter but not for moms who might have a mess on their hands.

Smear a thick layer of peanut butter on your face and hands on Halloween. Then place small sections of cauliflower into the layer. Make like a zombie but don't expect candy when you ring door bells.
Jul 12, 2013, 12:00 AM
santa_fe
quote:
Some of you say you have never used the "N" word in your entire life....psssft! How about any other words to describe Italians, Germans, Jews, Spanish, Asian, poor country people, handicapped people? Really? None of you?

It's sad that you think that everyone else has at one time or another been a bigot or used derogatory words.

I can cast the first stone. But really, who's PD and why would I waste a good stone on her?

She is of no significance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: santa_fe,
Jul 12, 2013, 11:51 AM
zone9alady
Santa Fe, it's not sad, I'm just being realistic. You must have been brought up in a convent...good for you.
On second thought, there is no adult alive that can cast the first stone, no one is perfect. If you're saying you are than that's worth a whole new thread! O_O

Danny Kaye
Jul 12, 2013, 03:44 PM
Leafly
Speaking of peanut butter.....

I tried almond butter two months ago.

Ouch it's expensive. Almonds are supposed to have health benefits as long as they are eaten in modest quantities.

I'm not about to make almond butter cookies or use it to coax dogs into taking flea medicine.

I did make some awesome Macadamia Nuts cookies
within this past year.

I found the recipe in a paperback cookbook that I bought in Hawaii over 27 years ago.

It survived my "toss, give away, or pitch pile.

I'm so glad I still have it.

Those cookies were expensive but scrumdeliumptious.

Here's a cookie to you and you and you.