Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  New Buying & Selling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Buying & Selling Sign In/Join 
posted
Just watched a new episode of Buying & Selling. I understand these are mainly for entertainment, but when the seller's home needed new appliances, Drew and Jonathan said, oh, you can just take them with you to your next home! First of all, appliances do not automatically fit another kitchen configuration. My daughter and sil just purchased a new refrig, but had to remove the upper cabinet so it would fit. Secondly, taking the appliances drops the current home's value.

And at the end, the home owner's offer for another house is accepted, and suddenly they lament paying for two homes. They haven't closed on the new home. There is no payment yet.

(I also always wonder why the house gets so messy in one night, when they know there is an open house the next morning. If it were me, I'd order in pizza, limit the toys, and have an easy breakfast....)

I do really like the show, though!!

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I had this show taped and watched it after I had read your comments. You are right. I don't know which generation you are, but I am old and I just wonder what happened to plain old common sense.

Posts: 1505 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops, should I have prefaced the post with a spoiler note?

I am 57, and qualify as old, I would think!! I have the same problem with Love It and List It. Hilary *never* has an inspection or an engineer to approve her structural changes, (or ask Fergus or Eddie). She blithely draws lines, moving plumbing, taking down walls, etc., with no regard to cost. The homeowners get upset with hidden problems and say, we should just walk away, when their home wouldn't pass an inspection. And expensive custom window coverings/furniture/tiling/flooring prevent Hilary from doing *anything* to a bathroom, for instance.

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
No need for a spoiler note. Your comments just made me curious to see what was happening on that show. I had taped it because it was listed as a "new" show...a change from the reruns.

I agree with you regarding the Love It or List It also. I usually watch the beginning to see what they are starting with and then I like to see how it all turns out. In between I don't pay a whole of attention.

Re: Age...My children range from 46 thru 55...so next to me you are not so old. LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mriley,

Posts: 1505 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post