Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  What has happened to the programming at HGTV
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What has happened to the programming at HGTV Sign In/Join 
posted
I used to watch HGTV constantly because of the wide variety of programming. Now at almost any time of the day or night, my selections are House Hunters, Property Brothers, Love It or List It, and sometimes Property Virgins, all based on buying and remodeling. Where are the wonderful design shows like Color Splash, Divine Design, Design On A Dime, Sensible Chic, and is Flea Market Flip still on? I haven't seen it in a long time. I used to seek respite from the garbage on regular networks by going to HGTV. Now it's just a huge disappointment. Will this ever change?

Posts: 1 | Location: Seattle,WA | Registered: Mar 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been wondering the same thing!!!

Posts: 5 | Registered: Nov 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel the same way -- HGTV was my all time favorite channel -- now there are very few programs that I enjoy. Bring the old HGTV programming back, please.

Posts: 29 | Location: Gorgeous Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couldn't agree more! I very rarely watched (past tense) any other channel and most of my recordings were of HGTV shows. Now, I rarely watch HGTV at all! The all day marathons of shows aired 2-3 years ago are a CRAZY decision by whomever is making those programming decisions.

Posts: 2 | Location: Fort Worth | Registered: Mar 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just started a new thread...

But 2 new episodes of Flea Market Flip are on the DVR for April 6th. 10am and 10:30am.

And airing right now is the new series 'I Brake for Yard Sales' w/ Lara Spencer. I guess the pilot was a hit (I loved it and the book too) and there are more new episodes to come already showing on my DVR too.

Last Friday they aired a couple reruns of Secrets From A Stylist - I really hope for new episodes but I know Emily Henderson is super busy and with the new Target endorsement, new baby, new house and lots of other projects she might not be filming new episodes. I do know that there are episodes she filmed maybe 1 1/2 years ago that haven't aired yet - from reading her blog - and I've been waiting for HGTV to air those.

Posts: 87 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also just saw on Genevieve Gorder's FB page that she has a new show coming next year about her home renovation project called 'Genevieve's Renovation'. And it looks like she's filming in other parts of the world design renovations too.

Here's hoping that more and more design shows make it back to HGTV because I for one do not watch any of those real estate shows.

Posts: 87 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If HGTV doesn't watch out, there's going to be a backlash against their persecution of the Benham Brothers' personal views. Canceling their show is persecuting them for standing up for what they believe in. This is going to leave a VERY bad taste in the mouths of watchers across the country. Is HGTV forcing their liberal agenda onto us?... feels like the controversy of the CEO of Mozilla being fired for his personal viewpoint... It's proven that consumers don't appreciate how far "political correctness" has forced an incorrect bias against someone exercising the 1st amendment. Is HGTV manufacturing a controversy for ratings?

Put Flip It Forward on.

We WANT to see the 'entrepreneurial family men "leverage their good-natured sibling rivalry to help families find a fixer-upper and transform it into their dream home" without spending a fortune'.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally agree with convertible. I've watched HGTV for years and noticed a very diverse group of hosts and participants. Why, if you don't discriminate against gays, racial minorities, Muslims, etc, are you discriminating against Christians? The Benham bros show could have been a great addition to your lineup and I'd looked forward to watching something new and refreshing, but I guess you let a small group of Christian haters bully you. Very disappointing!

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with convertible and rjh. Little tolerance is given to those with views different than the LGBT community. Nothing was intolerant that the Benhams said. The LGBT community used to be bullied, now they are the bullies. No longer watching HGTV or buying their products. The power of the purse is something they understand better than fairness or tolerance.

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Gee, I wish I knew what you all speaking about, it sound like a good topic.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rker321:
Gee, I wish I knew what you all speaking about, it sound like a good topic.

You and me both.

I chuckled when I saw the title of this thread. It's like 2004 all over again.

Posts: 791 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since "Throwback Thursday" is a term that seems to have caught on in the media, I would love to see HGTV have Throwback Thursdays and bring back some of the shows from the past (Room by Room, Mission Organization, etc.) instead of all of these real estate shows.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Apr 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you SeattleReign for mentioning Sensible Chic. I loved that show too but have not been able to remember the name of it for ages now (not that it matters since it's off air). Personally I enjoy the buying & remodeling shows ... well, some of them anyway ... because those things are relevant in my life right now. But I agree that we see some of them ad nauseum. It would be great if HGTV set up a detailed poll for viewers to give extensive feedback. On the other hand, they may look at it as "be careful what you wish for."

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use to watch HGTV all the time. I hardly ever watch anymore. It is all about real estate and construction now, I miss all the decorating shows. They were the best. Please bring them back!!! The channel ***** now.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your so right, what has happened to HGTV? The only good thing on there anymore is Fixer Upper. I'm afraid they will see how much people like it and shows like it and take them off!

debarkgal

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chi
posted Hide Post
It has been so long since I have watched anything on HGTV, I don't know what channel HGTV is even on. I am talking maybe 2002? I miss those old shows like Decorating Cents and Kitty Bartholomew. No more real shows for real people. I came here tonight to see if there was a show worth watching but no. Its the Real Estate channel.

Posts: 1187 | Registered: Dec 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I haven't been able to understand as to the motivation of HGTV in only putting Real Estate shows and Renovations.
There has to be a compelling reason as to why they have changed their format in such manner, All of these shows in reality belong in DYI channel and not on HGTV
Does anyone here has a reason or an idea as to why?

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't watch HGTV much anymore due to the programming you mentioned. I miss all the good shows HGTV use to have like you mentioned plus a whole lot more. Don't understand why they changed and why they are not listening to us. They use to be my number 1 station to go to but now not even in the top 20. Hate House Hunters. Don't care what other people buy. I want to learn from the professionals.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind a mix of both types of shows but how many times can I hear 'Open Concept, Hardwood floors, Stainless Steel appliances, Large Master Suite w/ dual vanities, Close to the city without being right on the neighbors, We love to entertain', it's is getting to be a very repetitive experience!!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
You had to ask, didn't you? Well, now you'll find out how many times you're going to hear it, because it's non-stop.

P.S. You forgot to mention the stairs/hardwood floors and the kids.

Posts: 791 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mainecoon1995
posted Hide Post
Dont' forget "that closet might fit all your shoes/this is my closet, you can have that other closet/this closet isn't big enough for all my clothes"

"I need a man cave"

"We have to have an en suite" God forbid any one have to walk to a bathroom in the hallway.

"I want to live within walking distance of restaurants, bars, shops, but don't want any street noise/traffic and I must have a big yard"

"I can't live in this house, the paint color is awful"

"We need a bedroom for each of our children, a guest room, an office, a formal dining room, a master suite, a chef's kitchen, a finished basement, a large fenced-in yard with a pool and a deck for entertaining, and all for $150,000"

Don't get me started on the shows that revolve around the feng shui of the house numbers or what part of the house faces what direction...

Posts: 543 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jenny Vithoulkas
posted Hide Post
I guess I've been too busy with kids the last 18 years I never watched TV. I just discovered HGTV a year or two ago and I do have to admit in that time, many of the complaints above are legitimate. I see re-runs all the time and it seems that the whole "reality tv" (which includes a lot of unrealistic scenes and bad acting) is the the order of the day.

All I want is to find decorating ideas. After going through the images on the site and the magazines however, I'm not sure if any of the HGTV decorators have my sense of style. I need Mediterranean Country - not Mediterranean in general. I haven't seen any of what I want! Help! Who can I turn to?

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Oct 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THE BAD: I pretty much agree with everything on here. I AM SO SICK OF REPEATS and of not getting any new design ideas. Wish there were other channels with home design shows besides HGTV and DIY. All owned by the same company, right? Oh, and also, Food Network and Cooking Channel. If you are rich and famous you can buy your own show on DIY channel! Sick of those too and won't watch.
I also feel they should not have cancelled the "Christian's" show! I thought we all had our rights to our opinions. Guess it's not a free country (USA AND CANADA)after all. As long as hosts keep their opinions to themselves they should be able to have a show.
THE GOOD: I will be cutting back on my TV expenses by dropping these channels!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Sep 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post