Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Power Broker (with Mike Aubrey of Real State Intervention)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power Broker (with Mike Aubrey of Real State Intervention) Sign In/Join 
posted
Once again I've stumbled across a show I've never seen -- not even heard about or seen a promo for.

I happened to tune in to the late night repeat at about the half way point and by that time literally for about 1o minutes there as no Mike Aubrey.

I guess the show is a cross between House Hunters and a time crunch renovation show.

The description says "In Power Broker, Mike Aubrey proves it's a buyer's market. Mike tours several homes with his clients and shows them what to look for and how to decide whether or not a home is ideal for them. In the tough and exciting negotiating that follows, we'll hang on to see which house they will get, and what the price will be. Then we'll see how a snap makeover can turn their new purchase into a home that looks like it's worth much more than they paid."

Really? REALLY? Half the show he's not even IN.

On the first episode the wife cried, yelled and squealed so much I changed the channel - never to return.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: clbselah,

Posts: 2513 | Registered: Jun 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it.

Surprised to see Aubrey on another show--I wasn't paying too close of attention but was it the brothers going against each other? Aubrey was there to evaluate the remodels the brothers did to see how much value was added, or something like that.

Gosh, I miss the days of yor.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. See the HGTV description above. No brothers. It's a new show that just premiered last night. at 9p ET, and just happened to catch the repeat at 1a.m

I didn't see the first half of the show -- presumably when he helps them get the house. (But we all know the house searches on HGTV are recreations/fake anyway.

What was really weird was that during the remodeling phase he wasn't in the show at all. Gone for about ten minutes.

But then he's back for the reveal. WTH? Why is he even there? IF -- IF they're going to do a show like this - just make it first half he sells them the house -- second part the designers/contractors come in. HE doesn't need to come back for the reveal. What the heck is THAT about?

The show seems to be a half hour show, SORT OF like House Hunters: Renovation. First part they buy the house, second part they remodel it. Only this one has Aubrey come back into the show after being MIA for 10 minutes. It's just awkward that he pops back up after the show seems to have "moved on" to the totally different issue of the remodel.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I liked it, maybe because it is the only new show I have seen forever on this network!

The 1st half hour they look at houses and choose one, they show the negotiations and then the remodel starts.

Posts: 8007 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DF
posted Hide Post
The real star of the show was the designer, Juan. I hope they realize this.

Posts: 262 | Location: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Apr 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I like this new show. The couple were really nice and there was not a lot of demands and drama. Juan did a good job with the redesigning of the kitchen and bath. I liked that the husband made sure that the shower fit his wife as well as himself. (She was too short for the high shower nozzle.) Mike Aubrey proved to be a hard negotiator and he got the home the couple wanted at a price they could afford.

Posts: 1494 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Great point about the couple. They were so down to earth and didn't expect perfection.

Juan did do a great job. All around nice show.

posted Hide Post
Is it an hour or half-hour? I thought it was only a half hour.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
It was an hour.

posted Hide Post
I think this show if somewhat like the Property Brothers in that Mike is the deal maker and Juan is the contractor with a design team. This episode is in a tough market area, San Francisco. By buying a fixer and with Mike playing hardball, the couple was able to get a fantastic home within their budget. Unlike the Property Bros., they show the haggling during the deal.

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ohsquared
posted Hide Post
This show is phony. A quick check of licensed realtors in California (where this episode takes place) shows that Mike Aubrey does not have a license in the state. Even his website only lists licenses in the greater D.C. area. Maria Harakidas is Mike Aubrey's assistant in D.C. according to her profile. So what's with all the trickery? If Mike is not licensed in CA, then the hard-nosed negotiation scene never took place. Technically -- unless he's willing to lose his license in D.C. -- it was a hologram and not him. By law he is not allowed to sell, negotiate or even show houses where he is not licensed.

The highlight of the show was Juan and his mother. A solo show is probably in the works.

Posts: 81 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Nov 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenqueen
posted Hide Post
I watched about five minutes of this show. To me it was another version of House Hunters / renovate my space.
HGTV needs to find a new format for shows.

Posts: 99 | Location: United States | Registered: Mar 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This show is phony. .... If Mike is not licensed in CA, then the hard-nosed negotiation scene never took place.

ALL of the RE negotiation we see is "recreated."**
On House Hunters some of the people portraying realtors aren't realtors at all.* They're PLAYING a realtor. ...On Property Virgins Sandra Rinomato is from Canada and on the show "represented" or should I say "presented offers for" buyers in several states they filmed in.

Given that the buyers on the show already have closing dates -- and so therefore have already BOUGHT their houses (for all intents and purposes) -- everything about the house search, is fake or "recreated" -- the search, the decision, the negotiation, the acceptable of an offer...ALL OF IT.

Long-time viewers have known this for a while. It's not news to us.

*And even if the person IS a realtor, they likely weren't the buyer's actual realtor. It's one who was willing to go on tape.

** Is Drew or Jonathan whichever Property Brother is supposed to be a realtor -- really a realtor? Is Eqypt what's-her-name on Property Virgins?

posted Hide Post
I am so over these real estate shows. WTF HGTV? This show is just as horrible as Brother vs Brother. Where are the actual design shows that TEACH something?

Posts: 87 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, unfortunately, I have to vote "fake" on this show.

Two episodes ago I watched Mike and the couple sit down with the seller's broker and it was by FAR the most faked scene from an old West movie I had ever seen. Normally I laugh stuff like this off but the acting was so bad between the other guy and Mike I had to flip channels for a few minutes. They've also developed the habit of using the "hand cam" effect when people are talking, like someone is holding a very unsteady camcorder when filming them. UGH - that was so 10 years ago.

Then there was the episode that aired 7/30/2013 - the young couple trying to get out of the Husband's parent's house. Mike is driving the couple in his car to view the first house. They leave their faces and show what we're supposed to believe is the area they are looking in - and - we see ATLANTA's skyline (I live here), along with Atlanta's Midtown area skyline a few minutes later. Only 1 second of each, but they are shown long enough for anyone who lives here to instantly recognize it, so one would think then that the show is being filmed in Atlanta...

... then suddenly we're looking at homes in California (?) and seeing the skylines of at least two California cities during the rest of the show. What the ... ???? Did they think no one would notice that?

If they can't even decide which city to show that they're not in, how am I to believe anything else? Nah... no more for me. Good luck to Juan though - if he really *is* the designer, he's talented, and probably the only one on the show that isn't acting.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Greg 30127,

Posts: 199 | Location: Atlanta, GA. USA | Registered: Mar 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree, Greg. The phony negotiation scenes are cringe-worthy.

Missed the Atlanta skyline and that episode - will have to find that shot OnDemand, lol. Sounds like somebody messed up in the editing room.

WRT Juan, they're using local contractors and designers. Googled him and noticed he appeared on one of the Bachelor shows. (Blech!) Given that, we can probably assume he's primarily interested in an acting career than anything else.

In general, IMHO, Mike's routine is old and tired. On twitter during episodes, he's accepting congratulations about his superlative negotiating skills when we all know the deal's done long before he jets in from MD and arrives on set. Whatever, Mike.

Incidentally, Mike did mention that these last few episodes were filmed in CA. They apparently did 8 episodes, filmed in a few different areas. Will have to look for the CA skyline if/when they're doing Atlanta!!

Posts: 518 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They've moved the show to 11pm ET/10pm CT. I hope this show doesn't disappear. I like the show alot.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Jul 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had DVR'ed several episodes of Power Broker and finally watched them. I liked Mike Aubrey in the first season of Real Estate Intervention, less so in the second season.

Power Brokers, though, is a year or more behind the market - at least in our area. Home prices are going back up quickly, with multiple offers and much quicker sales. Someone who watches the show and tries to follow Mike's "tough negotiating" format will find themselves laughed right out of the running for the purchase.

It's good to see the renovations actually being completed, but how are they being paid for? Banks aren't lending for more than the market value of the home, so where is the reno budget coming from? If I qualify for a $460,000 mortgage but buy a house for $400K, the bank isn't going to hand me $60K to do the renovations.... especially when part of that budget goes for furniture and decorating. Or will they?

Posts: 361 | Location: SoCal | Registered: Mar 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post