Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   General Crafts
  Creating a craft area
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Creating a craft area Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi! I'm looking for some advice/suggestions. I live in a small apartment with one big living/dining area. I have a dining table that is currently used as a surface for random crap, but I really want to create some sort of craft area. I knit a lot and do other random crafts, but I'm looking to get a sewing machine and learn how to use it, so I need some space for everything. Since there's no storage in this area and it's completely out in the open, plus I may need to use the table as an actual table for eating occasionally, do you all have any suggestions on how I can use this space for storing and executing crafts? Thanks in advance!!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think your best bet would be a inexpensive armoire(sp?) I found one on craigslist several years ago really cheap and it works great for storing in craft supplies.

Posts: 978 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Oct 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Carol W., maybe you can try and find some type of storage unit (armoire, used cabinets, etc.) from craigslist. I've also seen some of those cabinets that open up to reveal a drop down small tabletop inside---I always thought something like that would work well for crafting. May be a pair of used cabinets placed on the floor with a board across the top for a work surface? Let us know what you come up with!

Posts: 298 | Registered: Aug 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I had a area in my kitchen where I wanted storage for small appliances. I bought wall cabinets which are only 12 inches deep. I put three side by side on the floor and topped them with white shelving that is 15 inches wide. This worked great for me. I liked this so well, I used the same idea in my living room and set my television on the top. This unit is 78 inches long...lots of storage. I am going to do the same in my craft room.

It is a great idea for me because I can use the size cabinets I want to make it large or small. The cabinets are not installed permanently, so I can move them if I choose. Marylee

Posts: 1494 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My problem is that the space is small, and I need to keep the dining room table that is already there. I bought a small secretary desk from Target about 6 months ago to use as storage for office supplies and general crafts but it's too small and is stuck behind a chair so it doesn't really offer any work space.

What I'm really looking to do is turn the dining room table into a craft table of sorts and come up with storage/organization that won't be too difficult to hide things and move them out of the way if I need to use the table for eating.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am having te exact same problem as you. I live in an apartment and love to craft and am dealing with the same issue. I used half of the dining room table at first, but it gets filled up quickly and if stuff gets moved I have to spend time looking for it. I did find one thing that works pretty good, I bought one of those metal cabinets with like 7 drawers that is on wheels to organize some of my supplies and it was clearanced at bed bath and beyond too. It has worked really well in getting the stuff out of bags and somewhat organized. I also like that I can push it wherever I need it to go. Sometimes in the middle of the night, I can't sleep so i leave the cart by my bed so that I can work on something without waking anyone. I am still looking for something else that might work in addition to this, but I have not found it yet. I will let you know when I do. You might want to look into something on wheels or that is enclosed or has drawers so if you have to move stuff in a hurry, it is easy and does not look messy. Or maybe something you can slide under or to the side the table when you need to clear it. Good luck! Let me know if you find something that you think is helpful.

Nicole

Posts: 236 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nikintx
posted Hide Post
Suitcases! I use one for beading, one for jewelery and one for crafts using a glue gun, etc. When not in use the suitcases are stored in my closet, out of sight. I just bring one out, put it on my dining room table. No muss and no fuss. Fold it all back up and the table is clean for supper.

Posts: 46 | Location: Gilmer, Texas, USA | Registered: May 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
Could you give us an idea of the size of the area you are willing to use for this? Say between a wall and the table? 4'X6'?

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7522 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
I use Rubbermaid 3-Drawer Carts for storage, lots of them. They can be stacked (I have 3 of these stacked in one corner of my crafting area) and they have wheels so they are easily moved. You could store the unit(s) UNDER the table and roll them out when you need them. And the best part is they only cost $20 each! I get mine at BigLots.

http://www.biglots.com/p/c/sto...izaton/3-drawer-cart

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3204 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
Use height. Reaching up is much easier than bending down. Wall file folder pockets; Over the door hangers (shelves, individual pockets, shoe organizers); Bulletin boards or strips.

The stacked rolling storage carts - clear plastic aren't as pretty just easier.

Don't write off that small desk. Search Pinterest for small desk ideas, then clean yours off and give it a new chance.

Your stash needs to be efficient - donate what you aren't using, throw out expired paints, glues, broken stuff. Don't waste valuable space on stuff you won't use.

I love organizing stuff just don't do it often enough!!!

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 488 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
armoire

If you find the right armoire and they are out there there is one that has a small table that folds out.

They are nice as you can store the sewing machine in there and just close the doors when you want to put the mess away.

I always wanted this one but ended up taking over one of the small bedrooms after the children grew up and left home.

Posts: 227 | Registered: Sep 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
If you invest in a unit such as the following, it is handsome enough to place in your living room. Stash additional supplies attractively in lidded baskets or boxes, storage chest or ottomans, hat boxes, etc.

Small living spaces call for the following...

Storage/organization/editing
Utilizing vertical space.
Utilizing "dead" space ( behind/over doors, under beds, in corners, under skirted tables, along ceiling line)
Furniture that is collapsable, stackable, offers storage, in scale, etc.

Btw, there are coffee tables that raise up to create dining tables thereby eliminating the need for a traditional dining table. They are ideal for apartment dwellers.

Murphy type armoires are more pricey than the option I illustrate in the link below, but a worthwhile investment for small multifunctional spaces. Some offer pull down beds, sofas, tables.

http://www.amazon.com/Machine-...anizer/dp/B001DUZV50

Posts: 18711 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post