Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   General Crafts
  It's July Clutter Cleaners!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's July Clutter Cleaners! Sign In/Join 
posted
I love to craft
It is so much fun
If my room were uncluttered
I'd get so much more done
So I pledge today
To do my fifteen
So that soon I might say
MY CRAFTROOM IS CLEAN!
(by camarogranny)

I can't believe the 4th of July has come and gone already! I hope everyone is making some progress on taming the clutter.

I stopped working on the craft stuff to do some more ordinary clearing out. I cleaned out the frig and the freezers, so I could take stock of what I have before grocery shopping. In a few minutes my dd will help me reorganize the pantry She decided against taking any classes or attending any camps this summer, but she is working 2 days a week with her dojo's summer camp. It is volunteer work, but she is learning about handling groups of younger kids and it might lead to a paying position at some point.

So let's hear what you all have been up to.

Posts: 2381 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been cleaning out closets all weekend. Took 3 boxes to the thrift store this morning. Now have to start with the kitchen cupboards. It is never ending. lol

Posts: 342 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Finished going thru boxes of old paper junk, have 4 large bags that need to be shredded. What a relief to be done with that chore. Now I can get back to working on my UFO'S.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wiley,

Posts: 4453 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have ben busy g to arrange my yarn in a new shelving unit that has little cubicles in it and sorting it by color to make it easier to find. I am slowly using up yarn crocheting items for 2 craft shows one this month and one next month so that is decluttering some. My oldest dd is decluttering some of her yarn making items to send to me to sell too. I have not crocheted much the last 2 days with my working overnights I am just too tired to work on it in the mornings so I have been going to bed.

HAGN all

Posts: 583 | Location: Brookings, SD | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
I de-cluttered the front porch. It's built in and was slowly turning into a storage area. I used DH's new shop vac and swept down a lot of cob webs. wasp nests and spider eggs.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Pa, USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent my 15 today cleaning the closet that is my laundry room. I cleaned the dryer vent and swept, straighten up all the bottles of stuff and sorted all the odds and ends my family left laying on top of the dryer.

I did plan to spend more time down in the basement tomorrow, but instead I am going to get my dd's best friend from her summer school class and bring her here for the afternoon. Her mom had surgery yesterday and the kid had no way to get home from her class. I am sure that they will want me to take them somewhere

Posts: 2381 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kobus
posted Hide Post
I rescued a chest of drawers that I was about to trash. Instead I gave it a makeover and found a place for it where it takes no extra room (placed underneath a dresser)! Now it holds my stock of hats and ear warmers that is waiting for the autumn/winter sale season. Before it was all in plastic bags all over my flat.

Tomorrow: clear out a small cabinet that really has to go. It will be replaced by a rack that is now just standing in the way in the middle of my room.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kobus,

Read about my eclectic ways of recycling:
http://trashcollector.blogspot.com

Posts: 662 | Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kobus, I love that chest!

I started what I thought would be a 15 minute decluttering which led to an all day project. I thought I would straighten up the bookcase at the top of my basement stairs. I ended up clearing it and all the shelves on the steps and sorting thru it. Have some to give away, some has been tossed and the rest has to be put back, but I needed a break.

posted Hide Post
I am busy crocheting still for 2 craft shows a week apart. DD sent me some items to sell for her. I am atleast decluttering yarn lol. I am hoping to come home with a lot less items then I have right now. Hubby did some major housecleaning the last week including cleaning some carpets. He knows I am trying to get enough stuff for the craft shows. What doesn't sell for me will get relisted to my sites that I sell on.

https://www.thecraftstar.com/s...567/hoffers-hobbies/
http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...me=STRK:ME:LNLK:MESX
HAGD all.

Posts: 583 | Location: Brookings, SD | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ended up painting the wall and the shelves before putting everything back. After removing what didn't belong there and tossing some stuff, I ended up with a whole shelf empty. That let me move some stuff from the kitchen to there, so maybe my counters won't be as cluttered.

Steph, sounds like you will have quite a full table for the craft show with as much crocheting as you are doing.

posted Hide Post
mira'smom I do have a full table of stuff I am going to hang some items on pegboard I have the pegs already and I have a piece to hang earrings on and necklaces so that will help I hope. I did one of the craft shows before the other one is new so I hope I can sell stuff so I can start on new for next year.

HAGD all

Picture of Kobus
posted Hide Post
Thank you maira'smom! Yesterday the ugly stereo cabinet went to bulk trash. Hate to do that but it would not have sold at the thrift store even though in fine condition. Just not what people look for now. But I knew it would get picked up from the street. This morning it was gone.

Files that were in it found place elsewhere. Old cassette tapes in a box, to be looked at later, will go in the end I'm afraid.

Instead on the rack that replaced it place for all my plants on top, below colorful tins and old cookie jars that hold craft materials, before cluttering shelves where they didn't belong.

Still a lot to do but this is a start!

Posts: 662 | Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
I've been busy lately, cleaning and tagging a few things to put in my DD's yard sale. We ended up taking 2 car loads of stuff to my daughter's house. Although a lot of people have shopped the sale, no-one has showed any interest in my aquariums yet. I hope I don't have to transport them back.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Pa, USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been decluttering my yarn with all my crocheting I did 2 craft shows and sold some stuff. I am going to Seattle in 2 weeks so I will be taking one dog with me to stay out there and taking grandsons stuff with me so that will clear out my craft room some so I can straighten my craft stuff and have more room to move around in there. I haven't done much decluttering otherwise I have been working a lot and had 2 craft shows.

Have a good day all.

posted Hide Post
hello everyone. I too have been busy. I have 9 boxes in my basement for Salvation Army to pick up. I got dh to go thru all of his clothes and filled 2 boxes with stuff he can no longer wear. I also have a laundry basket of stuff that is in too bad of shape to donate to bag and put out with the trash.

Went on another short vacation (4 days) and leaned a new skill. I made a flower from hot glass at the Corning Museum of Glass in New York. Was fun and I found a place much closer to home that offers classes in glass blowing or just single project classes. I think I am going to try to get a friend or two and go do that.

posted Hide Post
Okay I have not been doing as much decluttering as I should have. I did finally dig out the craft pumpkins that I needed for a few projects. I have been working on a lot of Halloween decorations for a friend of mine. They get trick or treaters and decorate, but we do not get any. I dug out some books that I was planning to put on ebay, but to be honest it is a pain in the neck and I am not sure I will get around to it so I am going to donate them. That cleared out a few boxes. I did clean out the closets some so at least it is easier to find a few things. I appreciate all of your suggestions and am working on finding a shelf for the closet. I also have this shelf that is broken and I need to replace it, but in the meantime I have been storing my craft supplies on it. On top, I had a bunch of items that were finished from various seasons ( some from Christmas last year that were not finished on time, some for Easter that I kept) along with some that I just finished. I organized it a little bit and even though it is still cluttered, I can look over there and see a lot of items I have made. It makes me smile every time I look at it and it motivates me to finish crafts.

Mira's mom- the glass blowing sounds really fun!! I would love to see the flower that you made. where did you find a glass blowing class in Maryland if you don't mind me asking?

Kobud- I really love your blog! You have some really great ideas.

Nicole R.

Posts: 272 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the craft shows now over for me for the year I only do 2 shows a year for little town celebrations. I am thinking next year I will do 3 small town celebrations just to see how it goes. I am now gearing up for leaving to go see kids in Seattle and the oldest grandson is out there too. I am taking his dog and his stuff that got left here with me. I think that will be my major decluttering for the year. lol I am anxious to see them. I am still busy with crocheting I need to get hubby's afghan done I will work on it while I am in Seattle and hopefully get it done. I am not going to go do much sightseeing since I am out there atleast once every year and have seen most of the sites. I think I have enough food for hubby while I am gone but will pick up a few items after working overnights tonight. I will take some of my yarn to crochet some new items while I am out in Seattle to sell next year. I am thinking baby booties. Baby items usually sell pretty good for me. Weather has been weird here with the weather patterns so the craft sales didn't go as good as I expected them too. I also have a small dresser that I got from Michaels a few years ago that I am going to paint and see if that will sell for me next year. I will do that when I get home. Hubby has a horseshoe tournament this weekend in Sioux Falls so I am going to go to Michaels and do some craft shopping if I get the paint and brushes and take the dresser with me I could paint it there since I will be sitting outside and it would dry fairly quickly. I am thinking of doing some stenciling on it after it is painted and dry. We will see what I do with it after it is painted. lol

Have a good day all.

posted Hide Post
Hello all! Live got a bit busy but I did manage to do a little decluttering in my office/craft room/guest room. I still have so much more to do, but don't think I will make big progress until after school starts in a couple weeks. Until then, I will be busy taking dd to and from work and getting her ready for school.

Nicole, there are 2 places in Baltimore. the McFadden Art Glass Studio and the Corradetti Glassblowing studio. Both offer classes and projects. I think we might go to McFadden's this fall sometime.

Here is a pic of my flower:

posted Hide Post
Where is everyone? I hope that the lack of posts mean that you are all making progress in taming the clutter. I have, once again, made more of a mess trying to fix something, so I have that to clear up. Need to put a new blind on the guest room/office/craft room window, so I moved all the stuff around the window and haven't gotten it all put back yet. I did pull out a few things to get rid of, but not enough.

posted Hide Post
mira'smom,
Beautiful glass flower. When you take another class show more of your work.
I am getting ready for a Dec. craft show, trying to use up my stash for that. I have a box for the thrift store, now if I could keep myself out of the thrift stores, after I drop off things, and finding more things to clutter my house.

Posts: 342 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
It's been a pretty busy month and I haven't done much de-cluttering. DH and DS#1 finished the room they added on to the back of the house. It started out to be a covered entrance way to block the cold winter wind from the back door and turned into another storage room.

I'm also cleaning out another flower bed. Digging up bulbs is a lot harder then planting them.Frown

Picture of Kobus
posted Hide Post
I have half a bag ready for free pick-up center, but I keep postponing the trip because of the continuous raining here. Need to add more from unsold market stuff and select what will go to the last car boot sale of the season end of the month. Then I can finally store all the rest away for the winter.

At least yesterday I shipped off my old laptop for recycling.

posted Hide Post
Mira's mom. wow that flower is gorgeous! I really love it. I would love to learn how to make something like that. Thank you so much for listing the places that offer the class. I will check them,out. Than you very Much!!

Nicole

Posts: 272 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This weekend, I helped my dd clean out her corner cupboard in her bedroom. I now have another box of games, puzzles and craft kits to send to Salvation Army.

I also finished up 4 of my UFO mini albums, which cleared off my dining room table again.

How is everyone else coming along?

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
We have a brand new Goodwill store opening in about 3 weeks so I am getting things together to donate. Don't know how much room it will give me but I won't have stuff taking up space in all the corners of several rooms. Other than that have been finishing up some UFO'S which will give me more room for uncluttering my fabric.

Posts: 4453 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi all

I have been missing in action for 2 weeks due to vacation to go see 2 kids and a grandson. I too have not done much decluttering I have actually added to my clutter by buying more yarn and I brought some items home that my daughter made for me to sell in my craftstar shop or at craft shows. I only did 2 craft shows this year so I will be listing her items and some more of my items. I did get a baby blanket done so I did get some yarn used up for that. I also have a cute xmas tree that is crocheted that I need to get put together so I can list that also. My oldest grandson put in a request for one of the xmas trees in blue and white so I will start that soon. I want to get it sent to him for xmas this year.

Picture of Kobus
posted Hide Post
I finally brought a bag to the free pick up center, but what is better I sold two wooden chairs that were taking up space in my living room. It took me almost a year to find buyers so I let them go for little but that's ok. I'm so glad they are out of the way!

posted Hide Post
Hello all! I have been a bit tied up with getting back into the school routine. I did get all the boxes I had packed up picked up by Salvation Army. Now I need to get some more boxes and dh sorted out some of his clothes last weekend. I have been trying to declutter some otherwise.

I have a crafting retreat weekend after next, so as I pack things for that, I am trying to pull out things I should get rid of. I have 2 cigar box projects, 4 wooden pieces and some beading projects to take to work on. All are things from my stash - the only things I bought for the retreat are fireline for the beading projects and adhesives for the others. I understand that there is also a retreat project that we can either do there or take home to do.

Keep decluttering and posting!