Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   General Crafts
  Hi, I'm new here.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi, I'm new here. Sign In/Join 
Picture of VivianS
posted
Hi, I'm Vivian. Just joined and not sure which is the right place to say hi.

I'm a crafter and love to make paper crafts, bead jewelry, knots and other handmade items. I plan to sell my items on etsy. Do you guys think it's a good idea? It said that etsy is site mainly focus on handmade items. And I know that many crafters sell their crafts there. But I'm afraid that I may fail to do it. Anyway, I like diy things and I will keep on.

Share some paper flowers that I made this week, hope you guys like it.

paper rose

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jul 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
Welcome Vivian! Your flowers are lovely. I do some paper crafting (mostly card making) but my main focus is decorative painting. Hope you share with us often.
Regarding Etsy...don't ever think you CAN'T sell there, you won't know if you don't try.

I have a shop on Etsy and have sold some things over the years. This past year I was having a hard time finding time to paint so I had to figure out how I was going to use my Etsy shop. I work a day job and my Etsy shop was opened as a place to move accumulated items I had painted that had nowhere to go. I have recently decided instead of trying to sell year-round that I am going to just be open from Sept thru Nov for the holidays so at this time my shop is closed.

An Etsy shop is very easy to set up and it's free. At the time I opened my shop I did my homework and Etsy was the best deal in the way of selling fees, I think it still is.
Another great option is that you can get mailing boxes and envelopes (including delivery) FREE from USPS if you order them on-line. In some areas, like mine, the postal service will even come to your residence and pick up your pkgs to be mailed! They make it pretty convenient.

Visit here often and feel free to ask me any questions.

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3185 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Welcome Vivian!!!!! So glad you joined in.

I like paper crafting also, but haven't been doing much lately. Old age, etc. lol

Love the flowers you made. I keep telling myself that I want to try making them. Maybe one of these days.

And yes, please jump in often.

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 9960 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VivianS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainee:

Regarding Etsy...don't ever think you CAN'T sell there, you won't know if you don't try.

I have a shop on Etsy and have sold some things over the years. This past year I was having a hard time finding time to paint so I had to figure out how I was going to use my Etsy shop. I work a day job and my Etsy shop was opened as a place to move accumulated items I had painted that had nowhere to go. I have recently decided instead of trying to sell year-round that I am going to just be open from Sept thru Nov for the holidays so at this time my shop is closed.

An Etsy shop is very easy to set up and it's free. At the time I opened my shop I did my homework and Etsy was the best deal in the way of selling fees, I think it still is.
Another great option is that you can get mailing boxes and envelopes (including delivery) FREE from USPS if you order them on-line. In some areas, like mine, the postal service will even come to your residence and pick up your pkgs to be mailed! They make it pretty convenient.

Visit here often and feel free to ask me any questions.

Thank u so much, rainee. Your info is really useful for me. I diy crafts when I'm not busy and I don't have fulll time to manage my etsy shop if I have one. That's why I have worries. I will come here often and share my crafts.

Picture of VivianS
posted Hide Post
Thank you, granny. You are so kind. There is a good atmosphere and a good feeling at this forum. I begin to like this place.