Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   General Crafts
  Any tips for selling crafts to family members
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any tips for selling crafts to family members Sign In/Join 
posted
Good Day,
Anyone have any tips for selling crafts to family members? Like selling crafts during family dinners or other events...

Thanks,
Nick Davis
http://indigocraftsbusiness.blogspot.com/

Nick A Davis

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: May 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Yes. DON'T DO IT!
Family dinners? (like a forced Tupperware party?)

If your crafts are worthy, people will admire them. If they are REALLY nice, they may offer to pay you for them.

In a word? Craft shows, are the right venue.

Posts: 9596 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks...so it is kind of like selling a used car to a family member...lol

Nick A Davis

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: May 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tulipsandroses
posted Hide Post
I agree don't do it. I am a crafter and I usually give mine as gifts. But if someone insists they want to buy an item from me, then they come see me at a craft show and make the purchase.

Posts: 49 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not sell to a family member either. I would give as a gift. My kids are made gifts that they ask for and so is my husband. My parents have everything that they need and do not want any gifts and my siblings all have what they need too. I did make gifts for 2 of my sisters when they were pregnant with their first with baby afghans. I do not want family members to feel they have to buy from me.

Posts: 561 | Location: Brookings, SD | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I agree. It is a bad idea let alone at a family dinner. Family is obviously aware of your handcrafts and if interested will approach you with an offer. If you desire to sell, a juried craft show is your best venue tho there are cheaper alternatives like flea markets, home shows, eBay, artisan or consignment shops, school or church craft shows.

Posts: 18648 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post