Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Origami Sign In/Join 
Picture of thimble lady
posted
Does anybody here do origami? I like to do 3D stars as well as other things and need a place to order paper. Its a very calming activity!

Posts: 3691 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: Jul 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
I've done a small amount of origami, but usually get messed up and give up. I love how it looks and wish I could follow directions better. Don't know of a place off hand to order paper that is cheap. Put origami paper in search and you will gets lots of sites. Michaels and Hobby Lobby and Jo-Ann's carry it too. Good luck.

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10044 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My niece did it a lot. I was often too impatient. She used any kind of paper she could get her hands on.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have used all sorts of paper too, but I wanted to make some r, w, and b stars for July 4th and it takes 30 papers. I haven't been able to find that much r or b paper. Ill google it and maybe that will be the answer. Just thought someone might know off hand. Thanks.

Posts: 3691 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: Jul 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
How big a piece do you need for each one? And can you use regular paper (like copy paper)? I have some 8 1/2 by 11 that I bought at Staples (I think). I have a lot left over from the class reunion booklet that I made for each classmate.

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10044 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Yes, Granny, copy paper is just perfect. That is a good idea. The squares I usually use are 3 - 4 inches.

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
I will be glad to send you some papers if you will pm or e-mail me your address. I have way to much to ever use up myself. And am wanting to down-size my stash anyway. My e-mail is in my profile.

3-4 inches. Wow, I never would be able to make anything that small. lol

Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Granny, I pmed you. Did you get it?

Picture of Hammerhugger
posted Hide Post
I had gotten a gift certificate for Barnes and Noble from my son who thought I had a Nook.......but I have a Kindle so I sent for other things from them. I got a big book of pretty papers for around 7 dollars. They are really nice papers but I also got a book and I can't get past page 1. I find it terribly difficult or maybe I don't follow directions anymore. You might want to check it out.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/...26?ean=9781435147799

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5577 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a small printing shop near you, they
may be able to sell you some colored paper.
I want to make German Stars and have inquired
at our local printer and the owner said she
could cut some for me.
I bought some on-line some years ago, but it was
all pastel colors. Do not have the address any more.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Posts: 565 | Location: near Pittsburgh, Pa. | Registered: Nov 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Good idea! I never thought of that. I made those German stars several years ago but I cant remember where I got the paper strips for them. Thanks for the printing shop idea. Granny is going to send me some too so I should be in business.

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Yes, thimble lady I got the pm. And replied. Wanted to know how many sheets of each color you wanted. Have the envelope all ready to ship. Smile

Jean

Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Granny but check your pms again! LOL It takes 3 sheets of each color to make one star if the sheets are 8 1/2 x 11. Two sheets if it is 12 x 12. This can get complicated, cant it! LOL

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Got the pm's. And am confused (still sending paper) I thought you said you used 3-4 inch pieces of paper, but it takes 3- 8 1/2 x 11 sheets to make a star.??? Forgive this old mind. lol

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
check out this website: highhopes.com
Free tutorials and patterns.

Posts: 307 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
LOL, Granny. Forgive this old mind!!! It takes 10 squares of each color to make a star total of 30 4 x 4 pieces. And I figure I can get 12 4 x 4 pieces (more than enough) from 3 pieces of paper 8 1/2 x 11. Complicated isn't it? Is that clear as mud???

Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
beedeeess, I got the website. Thanks it is great.

Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Granny, thank you so much for the red and blue paper. It is just perfect. I appreciated your efforts in getting it mailed to me. Thanks again. Check your pms if you haven't. Thanks again. Thimble Lady

Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Granny, Im still doing origami and having a great time doing it. I sent you a little surprise. Did you get it?

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Sally...so sorry about not getting back to you sooner. Have been down with shortness of breath. And not doing much. Didn't get on computer for a few days. Yes, I got the star and I don't have any idea how you can do that.!!!!! I love it..!!! Will get a picture of it when I quit shaking so bad that I don't blur it. Thank you again.

Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
Granny,Im so sorry to hear that you have been sick and hope you are feeling better. Im also glad you like the star. It would be wonderful for you to post a pic of the star...sorry I wasn't able to do it myself. It was a fun project.

posted Hide Post
Just reading this. As a former art teacher, I found that although my students were all eager to try origami, the ability to be successful wasn't based on carefully reading directions. Some of my most talented students simply could not create origami. It is truly a hand/brain connection. The students who were successful loved being the ones to sit with their classmates and show them step by step.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post