Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   General Crafts
  Concreate leaf bird bath - need a nontoxic sealer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concreate leaf bird bath - need a nontoxic sealer Sign In/Join 
Picture of Peppermint65
posted
Hi all -

I recently made one of those leaf bird baths out of concrete. Now I'm looking for a way to seal it with something that won't be harmful to birds. Have checked all the big box stores and online, too with no luck.

Any idea if something like this exists or maybe I'm being overly paranoid that a regular sealer would be harmful to the birds in my garden...?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Posts: 221 | Location: Chicagoland - Zone 5 | Registered: Jan 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Once any concrete paint (or any sealant) is dry/cured, there should be no issue with the birds.

Posts: 9598 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
Even though there are several sealers and paints that claim to be non-toxic it is usually recommended to NOT use them where the food or water source of people or animals will come in contact with them over long periods of time. Water and other weather elements slowly wear and break down sealers that is why it is recommended that any outdoor project be re-sealed every year or 2.

I work for a nature store that sells concrete bird baths and I always recommend my customers use a swimming pool paint/sealer. Pool paint/sealers are proven to be safe for both us and animals. They are also waterproof, UV fade proof, and were developed to take a beating.

http://www.homedepot.com/webap...dCatgry=SEARCH%2bALL

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3203 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Swimming pool paint would be ideal, but finding it in small quantities may be a challenge.

Because of the nature of bird baths, being rinsed out, cleaned out and refilled fresh fairly often, again I would not worry about the possible toxic issues (compared to a water source that tends to sit full of the same water for weeks at a time)

Posts: 9598 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
Conrad,
I agree. Pool paint is usually only sold by the gallon and not inexpensive but I still think the best bet.

As for rinsing and cleaning a bird bath often....
You'd be surprised (or not, lol) at how many of our customers do not clean their BBaths regularly and then can't figure out why they have collected algae amongst other things. It's been my experience that people maybe clean their bird baths once a week even during the warm weather months. If you were diligent and cleaning it daily or every other day you might not have a problem but I wouldn't want to risk it.
Most sealer and water based acrylic paint is non-toxic but they always specify not to have them come in contact with food or water that is going to be ingested. My feelings are if it isn't good for people, it isn't good for animals either. :-)

Posts: 3203 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
rainee, Pepermint65 (I believe) is referring to one of those VERY shallow, large leaf formed indentations in a concrete form (smaller diameter than most stepping stones). So shallow... that I would imagine water would have a difficult time not evaporating or being splashed out every couple of days?
Just my opinion here but, in this case, I think any sealant or even... no sealant will be fine.

Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
Conrad,
I get that the dish is very shallow, as it should be. A proper birdbath shouldn't be more than 2" deep at it's lowest point. You'd be surprised at how even those shallow bird baths get neglected. Weather can give them a pretty good beating too causing any sealant to deteriorate. If I had the choice I'd choose what you have already suggested, no sealer at all. :-)

Picture of Peppermint65
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opinions & information - appreciate it all !

Posts: 221 | Location: Chicagoland - Zone 5 | Registered: Jan 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post