Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   General Crafts
  What is your favorite - Brush and Paint question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your favorite - Brush and Paint question Sign In/Join 
posted
I am new to painting and would like to increase my supply of both brushes and craft paints. Where do I start? If you could only buy a couple of brushes, which would you choose?
I have a couple different types of craft paints, acrylics, and have noticed that some seem "thinner" than others. What is your experince? Thank you all in advance for your help.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Nov 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
Your asking some loaded questions because every painter (me being one of them) has their favorite brand(s) of brush(es) and paint(s) and I use several of each, all for different purposes. :-)

I will tell you this....even if you start with a few brushes buy the BEST you can afford. The quality of a brush WILL make a difference in your finished product and will save you frustration when you paint. When cared for properly a good brush will last you for years. Cheap brushes do not perform well and will not survive the abuse of a lot of painting.

Performance is also true with paint. Thinner less expensive paints have less pigment and will not be the best paint for some things. For example they may require two or more coats when basecoating and are not good for creating opaque brush strokes on top of bold colors (like black) when decorative painting. I use inexpensive thinner paints for basecoats and to create washes by thinning them even more. Usually the cheaper the paint, the less pigment there is.

If you are doing decorative painting you want brushes that will spring back to shape when painting and a paint with a good amount of pigment for the best results. On that note here are some of my recommendations....

BRUSHES: Everyone should have a good liner, shader, round, and a flat for basecoating but most every project requires a different size in each of those brushes. A #3 round, #0 liner, #6 and #12 shader, and a 1" flat for basecoating is a good place to start. My suggestion would be to find a project for beginners and buy the recommended brushes for said project. You can build your army of brushes up from there.

I would recommend Royal & Langnickel Golden Taklon or Loew-Cornell Golden Taklon brushes to get started. I really like R&L's Royal Knight, Majestic, and Aqualon lines. Any of the above mentioned brushes can also be bought in 'sets' including Loew-Cornell.

PAINT: For the majority of my decorative painting I use 3 brands of paint....DecoArt Americana, Ceramcoat, and FolkArt. To me these are the best bottled acrylics on the market. All of these lines are rich in color and to me are a joy to work with.

I hope I was able to answer some of your questions. Painting is a lot of fun and very satisfying. The most important thing about painting (or any art medium) is to have fun!

Let me know if you have any other questions. :-)

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3204 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with everything Rainee said. Just wanted to give you another answer.

It would help to know what kind of painting you will be doing as well as the size of things you are starting with.

Brushes are soft and stiff (kind of). Soft ones are good for smaller paintings. The stiffer ones are for larger items, thick paint and may leave brush strokes and have to be swished(technical term Smile LoL) out. It doesn't matter to me if it is natural material or synthetic. I find they both work fine. I have all the name brands mentioned as well as Grumbacher, Windor-Newton. There are other good ones but you will not find them at walmart. You even have to be careful at craft stores. If in doubt look it up on the Internet before buying. There is nothing worse than a bad brush.

I would get a flat that is appropriate to do the background of whatever the size of your starting paintings. Next would be a round. I use a size 8 as I can make very fine lines to wide strokes(if I fan the end). 3rd would be a liner. If you can afford a 4th get an angled, also called a shader.

I use tube paints on my larger paintings but use the jars too. You have to try different brands to see what you like. I would only buy 1or2 of anything to try it before you spend a lot of money.

Come back and tell us what you are doing. We are interested.

Posts: 7266 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for all the great information. In the past I painted fired clay pieces, small village pieces. I have recently started working with gourds and clay. Most everything is on the smaller size. I have always enjoyed some type of craft painting, so I do have lots of brushes, but mostly inexpensive ones (some end up losing hairs or a wild hair sticking out the side). I am sure some of my problems are the care of my brushes, so I am learning that also.
Thanks again for all the information!

Posts: 90 | Registered: Nov 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post