Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   General Crafts
  Question on fabric printing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on fabric printing Sign In/Join 
Picture of Hammerhugger
posted
I have made a table runner and have used a graphic from "The Graphic Fairy" to use on the runner. Someone suggests there that they have used vinegar to set their ink and others say that it washes out. Has anyone ever had experience with this? Do you think heat setting might help hold the color when it is washed? Here is the tablerunner and would sure hate to have it wash out after all the work.

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds.
--Mel Weldon

Posts: 5573 | Location: Arizona, in the valley | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Hammerhugger, I am sorry I can't help you, but I wanted to tell you that I think your table runner is beautiful. I can certainly see why you want to make sure it remains in tact. Marylee

Posts: 1494 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coco  Cathy
posted Hide Post
I would maybe ask on the quilting board..Smile and I too really like your runner.

Posts: 3057 | Location: Riverside,Ca... | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you run the cloth thru your printer? I am sorry but it is late and my mind isn't working clearly. Just trying to figure out what you mean by "ink" which can be several things.

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
Your runner is beautiful!

Vinegar works with setting the dye in a new pair of blue jeans but I'm not sure I'd do it to your runner. You're probably going to have to heat set it with an iron. These links might help...

http://www.eziscreen.com/support/heatset/index.html

https://www.etsy.com/forums_th...hp?thread_id=5571344

http://www.ehow.com/how_6696555_set-ink-fabric.html

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3204 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry but your runner is not washable. It will wash out. How quickly depends on the type of ink in the printer -pigment or dye. The fabric needs to be pre-treated with a solution. Vinegar, heat, or salt will not set the ink to make it washable.

Posts: 174 | Registered: Jun 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't help with your question but I wanted to tell you that the runner is beautiful!

Posts: 2378 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post