Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   General Crafts
  learning crafts from advertisers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

learning crafts from advertisers Sign In/Join 
Picture of wiley
posted
Just wanted to thank all the folks that are trying to teach stuff that we all know how to do. Would appreciate it if you all would not clog up this board with stuff that is available on the internet and has been available for a loong time.

Posts: 4450 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
wiley...you've got that right. But they don't see what they are doing as wrong. They 'take' from other crafters and post as their own and then advertise that you can buy the materials and patterns from them. And they post soooo many, many things that have been posted before.

Don't know why the boards won't do anything about it.!!!!!!

Jean

p.s. I'm afraid to post anything as I fear they will put it on their site as theirs.!!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: granny3641,

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10040 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maryim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by granny3641:
wiley...you've got that right. But they don't see what they are doing as wrong. They 'take' from other crafters and post as their own and then advertise that you can buy the materials and patterns from them. And they post soooo many, many things that have been posted before.

Don't know why the boards won't do anything about it.!!!!!!

Jean

p.s. I'm afraid to post anything as I fear they will put it on their site as theirs.!!!!

My profile doesn't reflect it - computer death etc. - but I've been coming here since "Home Talk".

"Admin" can show muscle if and when they chose. Why not now? Why let the craft boards be trashed? Do they even read here?

OK that's my vent for the day.

Posts: 5428 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really is getting ridiculous. On this first page of the board there are only 6 posts that weren't started by them! Admin needs to do something

Posts: 2381 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NC HillBilly
posted Hide Post
Well, like I said before, if NO ONE opens their post, maybe they will give up, so please, all you ladies, just don't open their post, no matter how curious you are, or how intriguing the post sounds. If they aren't getting reply's or orders for their advertising, maybe eventually they will move on. I know some of you have opened them so you can report them, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good. I wonder what would happen if one of us tried advertising? I bet the "powers that be" would wake up then!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NC HillBilly,

Posts: 1433 | Location: Dobson, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craftycookie
posted Hide Post
And I think we have some new ones added? Hard to tell yet.

Cookie

Posts: 1158 | Location: North Central AZ | Registered: Dec 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
It really has gotten unbearable and it's unpleasant for us 'regulars' who want to chit chat about our crafts.

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3204 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
I agree with NC Hillbilly. I'm not going to open any more, not even to report them. And as you see, no one is commenting and leaving them messages.

Yah...if one of us tried that I'll bet we would get booted off really fast.

So guess we'll just have to chit-chat around them. ok with me. But I am leary about posting patterns

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10040 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't posted any projects for awhile - cause I haven't been getting anything done. But perhaps if we tell people who are interested to send a pm, we could share the patterns that way. If anyone we don't recognize asks for them, we don't have to respond.

Posts: 2381 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I like mira's mom's idea. PM each other.
I don't come here too often, but I love this board and hate those advertisers. I recognize at least 2 of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7854 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
I did find something (the original) that they 'shared' and I reposted it on the Holiday Board. You 'got' the pattern from them if you bought things from them. And what they 'share' are DIY's from other sites. But this one I found actually has a 'home'. And the pattern. And I got it thru pinterest.

Otherwise I won't be posting directions/instructions to anything for awhile.

Jean

posted Hide Post
Mira'smom, the problem with that is then you will only have the current active members. Lurker's like me and new people would be excluded. Do you really want a closed group?

I don't think anyone can get in trouble for advertising because it appears they do not monitor these boards anymore. There are spammers under every topic. On the DIY forum she had every listing except about 2.

Posts: 7243 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
MelodyHan....We do like that people share but what we do NOT like is the selling and advertising that comes with the sharing. Like what you have on your site. There were s couple of posters that finally 'left' a week or two ago that did a lot of advertising.

To be very honest with you, I won't even open your posts because you sell the materials needed to make the craft that you share. And all the selling prices. That is NOT allowed on these boards.

And I won't apologize for my feelings on that.