Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   General Crafts
  CLUTTER CLEANERS It's March! Spring is here
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CLUTTER CLEANERS It's March! Spring is here Sign In/Join 
Picture of Granny Quilts
posted
I love to craft
It is so much fun
If my room were uncluttered
I'd get so much more done
So I pledge today
To do my fifteen
So that soon I might say
MY CRAFTROOM IS CLEAN!
(by camarogranny)

The days are getting longer, soon the weather will be getting warmer. Cleaning is on our minds.

So spend just 15 minutes a day decluttering and post what you have done. It's inspiring to see what you have accomplished.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Pa, USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
I'm still in the cellar....lol

Almost everything I've gone through in the past couple days has gone to the trash or the recycle bin.I've also been setting a few things aside that I'll post on freecycle later.

One thing for sure......I need more shelves.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Pa, USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Good morning...upps...good afternoon Granny.

I haven't got much de-cluttering done in the last few days. Just lazy. But today I do have to get busy. Will clean the kitchen, take care of laundry and clear the coffee table (you should see it..well maybe not. lol) Will keep you posted.

Sure hope you get 'out of the cellar' soon. lol

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 9966 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Granny Quilts, I hope you are out of the cellar soon. Jean, its good to have you join us!

I have been busy working on some projects with my sister and friend. I sent some items home with my sister this evening that we had started a while back and finally finished. Friday we worked on cigar boxes and I have almost finished one for my brother and one for my dd. Just need to embellish them. I got 2 more out of my stash one went home with my friend and one with my sister. Small steps but eventually, I will get more out.

Posts: 2316 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Granny Quilts, are you still in the celler? Do you come out for food and water? You are doing such a good job of letting go of clutter. Keep it up!

granny3641, lazy ok every once in awhile, but l'm glad to see you're back to work. Keep posting!

mira'smom, l love it when supplies are actual being used so we don't have to declutter by just getting rid of them. You're doing good!

l got rid of my old computer and a printer yesterday. l had already got rid of the other old printer. Now all l have is my current and updated computer and printer in my craft room. Yeahhhhh! l have finally started sewing again. l've made a few quilt blocks. Not much but at least l've gotten started.

Everyone keep up the good work and keep posting, posting, posting!

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9377 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
LOL... Yes, I'm aloud out once in a while.

I'll be in the cellar for awhile, there's many, many years worth of stuff that we've saved 'incase we need it later'.
Monday was water change day for the aquarium and I took the day off yesterday and went shopping.

posted Hide Post
Granny good that you are allowed to come up sometimes!

Rainbow, I am happy that they are being used too. I know that I will be discarding some of my stash as it is no longer to my taste, but I am happier using it up.

Yesterday I managed to get a bag of papers shredded and out of the house. WOuld have done more but I went in to the office to help one of my former staff members for a couple of hours. Today I had planned to spend the morning in the basement, but we are under a winter storm alert and the wind is getting really bad so after running dd to Kohl's for running shoes, I have been running around the yard getting stuff that will blow around or break put away. We are having rain right now but we have had some snow mixed in and my sister on the other side of DC is getting snow right now.

Posts: 2316 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Granny, good to see you. l admire you for tackling the cellar and letting go of things you've saved. That's a big task! Hope you enjoyed your shopping trip without bring home more clutter! LOL

mira'smom, l got lucky on the last bag of papers that needed shredding. My brother has a wood stove and came in looking for some fire starter and that took care of that! Did you get hit hard by this last storm? We haven't had very much winter weather here this year but l'm ready for spring anyway.

Well, today l finally took down my snowmen! l usually leave them up until sometime in Feb then take them down. This year l was so sick in Feb l didn't care if they stayed up forever. l'm feeling fine now and decided today was the day for them to be taken down. l don't have a huge collection and l just had them on the shelves around the TV. Now they are put away for another year. l even tossed a few that have seen their better days. l kind of go by the notion of "lf it doesn't bring you joy anymore it's time for it to go." Works pretty good. Now, l can get a new snowman or two if l see something that l really like.

l've also been sewing. l've been working on some birthday blocks and decided that l would make 2 Christmas blocks by each birthday block pattern l use. Then someday l'll have 2 Christmas quilts to put on the twin beds in the Grands room. That's my intentions, anyway.

Keep working, cleaning, decluttering and posting!

======================

Posts: 9377 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rainbow, the storm was kind of a non-event for us. We had rain and some wind but that was it. Schools were closed in anticipation of us getting snow but it didn't happen here. My sister lives about an hour west and she did have to shovel her driveway.

I got lucky with the previous bag - dh was making fires in the evenings and I had him use it to start them. But it hasn't really been that cold lately.

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Just about all our winter has been non event for us. We have had some cold days but very little snow. Not even a snowman although we did get out an hour early one day but had school the next day. (That's snowday not snowman. Phone will not let me correct it!!!)

I got some general cleaning done yesterday and have started a new donation box.

Spring is almost here. Do you do Spring Cleaning???

======================

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Started some cleaning in my sewing "cave"(as DH calls it)found some flannel to make receiving blankets. That cleared off a shelf so I can put all my novelty/kid stuff together. Found some binding so I pinned that to a quilt, can sew it on tomorrow. Also got rid of a lot of dust bunnies. That's enough for today.

Posts: 4365 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rainbow, I never really did spring cleaning while I was working, but I did decide to do it this year since I have the time. I am planning to start with my bedroom and work my way thru the house to the basement. It will probably take me a long time since I have never done it before.

I did manage to consolidate my beading supplies some and got rid of one tote from the room. I found some beads I had forgotten that I had and now will try to find some used for them. I found a storage system that I think would be great but it is expensive so I doubt I will be getting it for my stuff. I did find that I need another holder for my tubes of seed beads, so I might get dh to help me make one instead of buying one. I think he can use some scrap wood from his stuff for it.

Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
Boy! It's been almost a week since I posted.
But I've been busy. I've decided to sell my vintage fruit jar collection so I've spent a lot of time on the PC trying to date and price them. My oldest one is between 90 and 100 years old.

I still have a long way to go in the cellar but thanks to Clutter-Cleaners I know I can do it.

I'm not overwhelmed by mountains anymore.

Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
This silly site won't let me sign it ! ! Good thing I can get here through my mail box.

The progress in the cellar has slowed as I'm approching the worst half. In the mean time I'm cluttering the dining room with the stuff I've carried up. But, I've decided to try and sell my vintage fruit jar and glass insulator collections.

I cleaned my bed room yesterday.

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Granny, have you ever made candle stick holders with your insulaters. They are beautiful when done.

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 9966 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
wiley, good for you for cleaning your cave! Sounds like it was a productive cleaning, too.

mira'smom, l like to do a spring cleaning but just don't always get it done. There is just something refreshing about being able to open the windows, let in the fresh air, and know winter is on it's way out. Seems like it's easier to let things go then too. Maybe it's the idea of a fresh start. Did you get your bead holder made?

Granny Quilts, way to go letting go of a collection!!! You have been an inspiration ever since you started CC. You just keep moving along. l'm happy you are not overwhelmed but it anymore.

granny3641, that's a cool candle holder.

Well, l haven't done any spring cleaning, yet. lt just seems like l can't get over being sick! Think l may just have to go to the doctor. What a waste of my Spring Break! Not getting any sewing done either. Bummer! lt'll all work out one of these days.

ln the meantime, everyone keep working, cleaning, decluttering, crafting and posting!!!

======================

Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh thanks Rainbow Smile

GRANNY36414.....that's a nice looking candle holder. It looks like the crackle glass pattern.

I cleaned the bathroom yesterday and worked on the quilt. Sometimes I feel like i'm never going to get through quilting it.

posted Hide Post
Rainbow, I didn't get one made but when I took my friend to the cigar store to get boxes for her to work with me, I found 2 nice wooden ones that are perfect for the seed bead tubes. I bought them for $1.50 each and will use the one I have for current projects and these to hold the rest of my supply. I am making some ornament covers to use up some of the cheaper beads I have.

Tomorrow, I plan to start my spring cleaning even if it won't be warm enough to open the windows.

Granny Quilts, you are an inspiration - you keep plugging away where I go in spurts.

posted Hide Post
it has been awhile since i posted in here i have been decluttering some yarn sent some to my oldest dd that she could use and i have youngest grandsons afghan done and got sons afghan started this is afghan number 6 so when this afghan is done i am done with afghans for awhile and will be doing smaller projects for awhile i am going to start listing handmade crocheted items on etsy to sell hopefully that will go well ;\

i will be going to seattle in june to see son and oldest dd and am planning on having sons afghan done before i go out there so i am a busy person with working full time and trying to get some crafting done i am also looking for another job so hopefully that search goes good

have a good day all

Posts: 532 | Location: Brookings, SD | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Found a "lost"quilt that needs to be tied.
Actually sewed binding on 2 quilts.Taking them to a friend tomorrow who likes to finish the binding by stitching on the back. So I do the front and she does the back.
So it's back to cleaning, still haven't found my missing rotary cutter.

posted Hide Post
I mainly came by to wish everyone a Happy Easter.

Since my last post, I have completed a couple more cigar box projects and made another bracelet using only stuff from my stash. Monday morning, I spent an hour in the guest room organizing the stuff stored on the bookcase and then spent another 90 minutes on the stuff in the basement. Since then I have done nothing as I fell down our deck stairs Monday afternoon. Nothing broken but very sore and bruised. We had a wet snow on Monday and when I went to put some stuff out, I slipped on the snow that was melting.

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
My goodness, Mira'sMom, hope you are going to be okay. Take care.

Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
Hooray!! I was finally able to long in.....Smile

MIRA'SMOM I'm glad to hear that nothing was broken. Be careful in that slippery stuff.

I haven't gotten anything done this week. I've been busy tending my sick dog. She got in a garbage bag Sunday and feasted on a turkey carcass. Which caused intestinal irritation that got inflamed and in turn caused bloody diarrhea. We passed the crisis last night and the Vet assures me that she will recover completely.

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
About a month ago I mentioned a quilting frame I was trying to give to a Church Group so they can do some quilting. Well today they came and figured out how to take it apart. Took them less than an hour to haul it away. They were so pleased and so was I. Once they get it set up and start using it they said I could stop by and see how it works. I will also get to have some quilting done now and then.

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
mira'smom, "Oh, my goodness! Oh, my goodness!" to quote from the movie "Annie" l'm glad nothing is broken and l sure know how the soreness and bruises feel. Take it easy and heal up! Way to go with your decluttering and using up stash though. You were on a roll before you took your roll, so to speak. Smile

Granny Quilts, keep at the quilt. You will get it done. l'm sorry your baby was sick and hope is all better now.

steph, good to see you. You're on #6 now? Way to go!!! You're doing a good job using up that yarn. l hope etsy works for you. Another job to replace the one you're at now or to add to it?

wiley, l'm glad they came and got the quilt frame out of your way. Sounds like a good deal on the binding. l don't like to do that. Still no rotary cutter? hmmmmmm...you'll find it right after you buy a new one!

Don't know that l've done much decluttering lately but l have been using up stash. l made 2 quilt tops for QWL last month. So, that's used up, donated and out of the house.

And l stay busier than l'd like with Subbing.

We had the grands out for Easter Weekend. We had an egg hunt and a big dinner with just us, the 3 grands and my stepmom. And for such a small group we packed away the food! We had ham and all the fixings and very little leftovers.

Everyone keep up the good work and keep posting!

======================

posted Hide Post
I am feeling better but I sure was sore and bruised. I have been working some in the basement and have filled 2 bags with trash and found some kids craft items to give to my gym partner for her granddaughter. She is also taking a plastic rolling cart and small bookcase that I no longer need. I am so happy to be getting stuff out of the house. DH and I are going to swap some of the furniture down there for what is upstairs in an attempt to improve both spaces.

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
mira'smom, l'm glad you are better. You are really moving along with your decluttering. l'm glad you have a friend to pass items on to. lt's good to donate but even better when you help out a friend. Keep up the good work!
Swapping out your furniture? l think that could be called "Shopping in your own house," couldn't it? Like shopping in your own closet for something different to wear. Love it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rainbow,

======================

Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
I think things have returned to normal around here. My fur baby is back on a regular diet but she doesn't want to let me out of her sight now.

I did a large water change on the aquarium yesterday and cleaned the bathroom. Today I'm getting caught up on the laundry.

My house plants are starting to showing new growth so it time to clean, prune, re-pot a few and start feeding them again.

Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
I did a little more in the cellar Friday, and took a large garbage bag of plastic containers to the recycle bins.
Then yesterday we went shopping and I bought more work for myself, a couple more plants for the aquarium and a baby Cattleya orchid plant.

posted Hide Post
I managed to get a couple more bags out of the house and have a box for Salvation Army. Today we moved furniture switching a few pieces between the living room and basement. I will be spending tomorrow put things back in the cabinets and bookcases we moved. Right now I am so tired, I think I will be in bed early.

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Granny Quilts, good to hear your baby is all better. More work done in the cellar. See, a little here and a little there adds up. Keep up the good work.

mira'smom, did you get a good night's sleep? Does it feel like you have new furniture now? Way to go for letter go!

l still haven't done much in the way of decluttering but our church is having a yard sale the first of May for our youth. That will motivate me, although l don't think l've accumulated much this last year. We had 2 yard sales last year and l really went through the house getting rid of "stuff." Don't miss any of it either. So, l'm sure l'll find something to donate.

l'm busy Subbing all this week. Today was kindergarten and the rest of the week is Junior High.

Keep up the good work and keep posting!

======================

posted Hide Post
Well once I started looking at putting things away in the basement, I decided to move a bunch of the other furniture around. I have 2 bookcases left to move and that will be done. Then we need to rehang some decorative shelves and I can put everything away. The room looks so much bigger now. I have a table where I can craft and still see the tv too! Got to run to the store for a surge strip before dh gets home - if I get that, I am hoping I can get him to help me move the bookcases and then tomorrow evening while I take dd to Tae Kwon Do he can hang the shelves for me. By the weekend, I hope to be enjoying my new crafting space.

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
mira's mom...good for you. I'll bet it does feel good. congrats.!!!!

Now that you are so good at cleaning and clearing out, how about coming and helping me. lol I'll bet there a a good number of ladies that you could help out from these boards. lol

So pop some corn and sit back and enjoy the 'new' room.

Jean

Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
I've crawled out of the cellar for awhile.
The weather has warmed up here so I've been decluttering the porch and cleaning up some potted plants that are coming out of dormancy.

Today I cleaned the kitchen.

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Today I'm having 2 doggie door's installed so the dogs won't be bugging me to stop what I'm doing so I can let them out.
Did 2 load's of laundry, even folded and put away instead of letting it lay around for a day or two. Now I can retreat to my "cave" and do some sewing.

posted Hide Post
Well my progress has come to a halt. I spent Wednesday night and yesterday running my dd to drs. She hurt herself at Tae Kwon Do and is in a cast. I will have to drive her to and from school at least for now, which really changes my schedule all around. She has at least 4 weeks in the cast. She is supposed to be keeping her leg elevated as much as possible, so she wont' be doing any of her chores for at least the first week.

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
mira's mom....so sorry about daughter. Hope she isn't in too much pain. Ain't it a bummer when life gets in the way of our plans. lol But I'm glad she didn't get hurt wprse than she did. Give her a hug from me.

Jean

posted Hide Post
Thanks Jean. She says it only hurts when she bumps it or if someone tries to move her toes. She is getting sore from the crutches. I just wrapped the tops with some warm and natural batting to try to cushion it some.

Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
MIRA'SMOM : Hope you're daughter is doing ok and healing quickly.

WILEY : I like caves ! ! ! I also hide in books, but don't tell anyone. 8-)

I finished tending all the house plants over the weekend and started some marigold seeds for plants for the cemeteries.

I went back to the cellar today and eliminated another box of useless stuff.

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
mira's mom, hope your DD is getting better by the day.

So,Granny Quilt's, what are you going to do with that cellar once it's all done??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wiley,

posted Hide Post
My dd is doing pretty good. A little disappointed that she can't be active but she is adjusting. Thank you for you get well wishes for her.

I got some more stuff put away and have 2 boxes of stuff for Salvation Army to come get. Slowly, I am getting it organized. I took a break from working two days and made some jewelry pieces - a pendant and a bracelet. Here are some pics of them.

First reverse cellini pendant - you slide a chain or ribbon thru the center of it for a necklace - I still need to weave the strings in.

This is a bracelet using the new superduo beads. The center beads are actually a dark green not black like they look in the pic.

Some but now all the beads came from my stash.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mira'smom,

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Nice work!

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Just sewing today cuz yesterday spent part of the day cleaning up the backyard. I have 2 large dogs and they love to dig especially around plants/trees. I'm tryinh some new stuff to discourage them from digging.After filling in holes around a plant I sprinkled this stuff(granules) around it and so far they have stayed away. Keeping my fingers crossed.

posted Hide Post
This weekend my dh made me a shelf for the old corner tv cabinet and a couple of extra shelves for the book case, so I was able to put more stuff away. I found a few half done projects that I am leaving out on the table to work on as I take a break. I also found a bunch of kids stuff that I am going to try to give away.

Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
Ohhhhh! I like the bracelets ! ! !

I've worked my way into the area in the cellar that I'm calling 'The Dungeon'. It's where my aquarium and potting stuff is. And what a mess........ tanks, sand, gravel. rocks, pots, saucers, starter flats.....

I wander if there's some forgotten treasure in that corner.

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Had my AC serviced, hadn't had it done in 3 years.Temp's are now in low 100's so it was time. Today they are coming back to seal all the air leaks that should have been done when house was built about 8 year's ago. Will keep out a lot of the dust that fiters in and will allow DH to breathe easier.

posted Hide Post
Glad to see you two are making progress. I haven't been making much. Spring is here and my allergies have slowed me way down. I also spend all day yesterday on a school field trip. Had a great time with the kids but it put me behind on my housework. I have a clear table and most everything is on shelves now, but I need to sort thru some of the boxes still. I did finish an old plastic canvas project that I found down there. Going to a friend's house to bead either tomorrow or Friday. so I need to dig out the stuff for some projects for that.

Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
Sorry everyone....but...it's pity party time...8-(

DH couldn't wait till I was done in the cellar to start re-cementing the floor. Yesterday I had to go to town so I didn't do anything in the Dungeon. Buy when I went down today and discovered that he had set the cement mixing tub in front of my work bench I was a little irritated. Everything I had set on the floor while I was cleaning off the bench had been splattered. So I gathered up the stuff and put in back on the bench. (I can wait till he's done! Sure I can!)
This afternoon he told me that I'll have to move everything off the work bench and put it somewhere else. Like stack it on the floor, because he wants to move the work bench and re-coat that corner, too. (Oh, I just know if he moves the bench out he'll have some excuse for not putting it back.)

And we're not even going to talk about the new fence I but around the tulips that he hit with the lawn mower this evening

I'll be crawling into my book early tonight. 8-)