Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   General Crafts
  sewing machine advice please?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sewing machine advice please? Sign In/Join 
Picture of CJO
posted
I had a machine for years, but it was given away with recent moves. I still would like one just for basic mending, hopefully some quilting one day, making basic window treatments/throw pillows, etc.

Could anyone recomend a decent machine that is not expensive, nor computerized, etc.

Thanks very much )

Posts: 2785 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Advertise for and check local Craig's list? I have two extra (inherited) that I would sell to someone who desired an older machine.

The old zig zag Singers, Kenmores, Brothers, etc were simple to use and real work horses. Consequently they are still out there and available.

Posts: 9441 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ilvmicki2
posted Hide Post
I have a Janome that is great. Huskervarna also make nice machines. You may also want to check with local dealers on a machine they received as a trade in.

Posts: 935 | Location: kcmo | Registered: Feb 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jacky
posted Hide Post
Yes I would check Wal-Mart or craigs list,I bought my Janome from lady who took excellent care of it and I got a steal.

" My bucket list bucket has a hole and it's leaking time"

Posts: 8882 | Location: usually not where I need to be. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Singer...the best they make. And yes Wal Mart has decently priced machines. Brother is also an inexpensive machine. I have one and it is a simple machine and easy to use. It came from Wal Mart

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 9966 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Omma5
posted Hide Post
I'm usually on the quilting board..lol...but I love to visit here too to check out new crafts from you creative ladies. Husqvarna Viking (they have gallery's in the middle of many Joann's stores). They sell a model 116 and a model 118....very basic...the only two models they have that are not computerized. The 116 is on sale for $299 the 118 on sale for $399. Difference is...the 118 has 4 more stitches than the 116, it has a speed control on the face of the machine and it offers a needle down position. Both machines have heavy duty motors (which you will not find on Singers) that will allow you to stitch thru layers of heavy fabrics like denims, home dec fabrics, etc. I work in a gallery...that's how I know the info...lol We also sell Singers...if you don't need a heavy duty machine I recommend the model 8763 or 7469Q. They are both computerized (their non computer machines are really not great)...and especially if you are going to get into quilting..the 7469Q is their quilter machine...comes with quilting feet and an extension table. On sale now for $299. Nice machine.
The other thing buying from a place like the Viking Sewing Gallery...they give free classes on how to use the machine and all the accessories (good for the life of the machine) and they all have a good warranty. Any time you have an issue with the machine, you just call them and they help you out. Buying thru Walmart or Kmart or a place like that...you buy it and you are on your own. Good luck....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Omma5,

Posts: 4223 | Location: New York | Registered: Feb 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post