Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   General Crafts
  It's time for Spring Cleaning Clutter Cleaners!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's time for Spring Cleaning Clutter Cleaners! Sign In/Join 
posted
I love to craft
It is so much fun
If my room were uncluttered
I'd get so much more done
So I pledge today
To do my fifteen
So that soon I might say
MY CRAFTROOM IS CLEAN!
(by camarogranny)

Although you couldn't tell it by today's forecast of snow, it is Spring finally! So who has started their spring cleaning? I can't say that I really do spring cleaning like my grandmother and other did, but while I hate to do the cleaning, I sure do like to open the window and have everything all fresh and clean.

I have been decluttering mostly by using the stuff I have on hand to make projects, but I have also managed to get a few boxes pack for Salvation Army to pick up.

So how about the rest of you? Making any progress?

Posts: 2350 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't been spring cleaning as far as getting windows open. I am off until Sunday night so hubby and I are going to clean carpets and rearrange a bedroom. otherwise I am using up stash making plastic canvas crosses for easter and started a baby afghan using some new yarn too me that is made from fleece. I am hoping to get the crosses done this week and quite a bit of the afghan done.

HAGD all

Posts: 561 | Location: Brookings, SD | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cleaning out a closet of holiday decorations. Now need to get Easter decorations out, having a family dinner on Easter. Going through stash to get some undone projects finished for fall craft show.

Posts: 270 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary J
posted Hide Post
Have been busy throwing lots of junk out!! Also trying to use up a lot of my stash. I think it multiplys when I am not looking. Big Grin

Posts: 5181 | Location: Cornfields of Indiana | Registered: Sep 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mary, I know it does - what else could explain it?

I have made a few more projects using stuff from the stash. Also have more stuff to send to charity, but need to find some boxes to put it in. I really need to schedule my pick up so I can have the space I put the boxes in to sort some more stuff.

Posts: 2350 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am still busy with my crocheting and using up some of my stash of yarn. Spring cleanup for my city is next week so we can start putting stuff on the curb this weekend. Hubby has some tree branches in the back yard that needs to get to the curb and there is stuff in the garage that need to go to the curb too. That will help a lot to give us some room. And of course I work all weekend so hubby is going to have to do a lot of it himself. I will give him some guidance of what to get rid of in the garage so that we can free up space.

Have a good night all.

Posts: 561 | Location: Brookings, SD | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got my pickup by Salvation Army this past week and have now scheduled another one. 6 more boxes of stuff. Most of which have been living in my basement for years. I decided if we hadn't needed this stuff by now, we weren't going to. It was mostly stray dishes, curtains I moved out of my parents house before selling it.

Otherwise, I have been busy finishing UFOs (Unfinished Objects) that have been hanging around. Trying to use up stuff in my stash to finish them as opposed to buying any new stuff. Need to finish up some more, so I can have the dining room table clear for Easter dinner,

So how are the rest of you coming along.

posted Hide Post
I thought I would update my progress for our city spring cleanup week. Hubby and I tackled the garage and got quite a bit of it out to the curb so the garage looks a little bit better. Our curb is full until they get it picked up lol. I am crocheting up a storm yet and am using yarn from stash which is helping my stash go down a skein at a time. The baby afghan I am working on right now I am on skein number 3 and have 2 skeins left to add to it yet.

Have a good weekend all.

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Is working on UFO's considered spring housecleaning? If it is I'm making progress in my "cave".
Have cleaned out several drawers and donated items to a domestic violence shelter. They can always use stuff to sew, crafts for the kids etc. Right now I am finishing up several baby quilts to giveaway. This is the kind of string cleanup I enjoy.

Posts: 4419 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sure doing ufo's is spring cleaning I am trying to get a few ufo's done myself so I can list them to my sites to sell. I also need to stock for a craft sale the end of july so will be busy for awhile.

Have a good day all.

posted Hide Post
WIley, it better count as spring cleaning!

I finished another UFO this weekend and tomorrow I will be working on another. Today, a friend from high school is taking me out to lunch for my birthday tomorrow. By the time I get home, I will have to fix dd some dinner so I can get her to Tae Kwon Do.

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
You should see my pile! But I'm working on it.

Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
Happy Easter everyone!

I've been slowly working (cleaning) my way through the house. Cleaning out drawers that I skipped over the last time through.

In the meantime I made a lap afghan (granny squares) with odds and ends of yarn and I'm working on a crib quilt now.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Pa, USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My spring cleaning this year was taking stuff to the curb for a city wide spring cleanup. The city went around the city and picked stuff up at the curb for free so I got rid of some stuff in the garage that needed to go. I am still working on ufo's and getting yarn used up.

Happy Easter all.

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Have been cleaning one room at a time. yesterday & today was my sewing room's turn. Organized things a bit better so I can find stuff. The best part is it really is clean, tomorrow is the small TV room's turn. I like to watch TV while working on projects that need to be done by hand. Once that's done I can start on some large linen cupboards. Tired of stuff falling out everytime I open a door.

posted Hide Post
I hope you all had a nice holiday! Wiley, that is funny as I had planned to work my way thru the house one room at a time, but I seem to be doing more jumping around.

This morning, I did 2 of the jobs I hate the most - cleaning the baths and really giving the refrig a good cleaning. Spent most of the time on the frig, but I bet my dh and dd won't even notice.

I have a Salvation Army pick up scheduled for tomorrow so now I have to bring the boxes and bags up from the basement so I can put them out in the morning before heading to the grocery store. After I bring them up, I think I will sit on the deck and read until dd comes home from school.

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Lol! I started on the TV room but took time out to vacuum(sp?) the living area and do a load of laundry. Now I'mm ready to finish the TV room. Should be finished by dinnertime.

posted Hide Post
I managed to stay on track all morning and cleaned the master bedroom. Then my hip started hurting, so I took a break and then cleaned the globes for all the ceiling fans and bathroom fixtures - all 36 of them! I have more stuff for Salvation Army gathered.

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Finished TV room, also went thru a bunch of paper junk that needs to be shredded.
Today I took the day off so I could sew,have a bunch of jelly roll strips ready to sew into a large bag. I don't normally make bags but this tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt company convinced me to try it.

posted Hide Post
My hurting hip turned out to be a lumbar sprain. I am just now starting to feel like I can do a little work.

posted Hide Post
You need to rest for now Mira'smom, to get rid of that pain. Hope you feel better soon.
I have been cleaning out closets, and making some Halloween gifts, a cute Halloween table runner, a Mc Calls pattern.

Posts: 270 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks 5bells.

My back is improving and I am back to the regular day to day upkeep. I am hoping to start back on decluttering next week. I was on a real roll before I injured myself, so I am a bit bummed about the lack of progress....

posted Hide Post
Good, glad you are feeling better.

posted Hide Post
I can't say that I have gotten rid of much but I did a major decluttering of the wall units that are holding some of my supplies. I took everything out and organized it before arranging on the shelves in a way I could find things. I even left space on one shelf to put my current project when I wasn't working on it! Dh was so happy to come home and see both the kitchen island and the dining room table clear tonight!

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Gotta tackle the hallway storage cabinets tomorrow, can't find anything it's such a mess.

posted Hide Post
Happy Mother's Day all you clutter cleaners! I hope you have had a wonderful day.

I am really making some headway now. My sister brought over stuff to make 6 date books and it has been in my guest room taking up space for almost a year now. She wanted to copy a kit that she saw, but bought the wrong size paper for it and whenever I would bring up starting them, she didn't want to. I convinced her to let me try redesigning January to work with the smaller paper this weekend and she has now left with a sample and everything to do January - April for all 6. While she is gone for the next 2 weeks, I will redesign the rest of the year and the covers, making a sample for her to copy and get all that stuff out of my guest room by Memorial Day!

posted Hide Post
I am trying to go through the fabric that I have and started to make some Halloween and Christmas gifts with it. I don't sew much, but with the help of my good friend, I am getting some things done.

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
DH needed the title to our truck this am, do you think I could find it????? So I have emptied out the hallway cabinets and found stacks of junk(old paper records)to go thru. We have lived in this house 4 years and have never looked at most of it. Also found a computer that is as outdated as mine, I really need a new one.I don't even know if you can donate them anymore, will have to check into that.
After going thru one box of "junk" I found the title to the truck! Decluttering really works!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wiley,

posted Hide Post
I haven't been doing much decluttering lately but I did get my craft room straightened up a bit. Hubby helped me move stuff around and at least I can walk in there now. I am hoping he can get me some storage made for my yarn out of scrap pipe from his job. When I go to Seattle in August I will be taking the rest of my grandsons stuff with me and that will free up my craft room a lot. Then I can get hubby to put up the storage for my yarn. My son is coming home in June for Father's Day so I want to get carpets cleaned before he comes home. I am busy crocheting a baby afghan for a custom order and hope to have it done today or tomorrow.

Have a good day all.

posted Hide Post
I have so much cleaning to do, I am not sure if I will ever finish it. There are so many big changes that I want to make to my bedroom and it is going to have to be done in stages. I have been working on a lot of different crafts that I had the supplies for. I know that I need to go to the store, but it feels good to be making stuff and using supplies that I already have. It just seems like I have so,much more to do and pretty soon I am going to have to start on Halloween and Christmas gifts. I probably should have started earlier. Last year, I started,on Halloween in June and did not finish half of what I planned to make for Halloween and Christmas. Sometimes I feel like just as soon as I start to get on top of msking crafts for a holiday, the holiday gets here and passes. I also really need to get in the closet and clean it out. I have shoved a lot of books and craft stuff in there. The books I intended to put on ebay,,but have not gotten around to it. and the craft stuff needs to be organized better. I have sand and rock, Empty jars and cans, some wood that I bought, tomato cages and newspaper and a bunch of supplies for Christmas stuff, and I am just not sure how to organize it. any suggestions? Right now the cans and jars and wood are in garbage bags and take up a ton of room.

Mira's mom- glad to hear that you are feeling better!

Nicole

Posts: 201 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My suggestion for storage is maybe a small dresser or bookcase. The bookcase could hold the jars and cans real good. For the wood it would depend on the size but it might work on a bookcase. I use a dresser for the small items that I don't want seen. My hubby puts in underground sewer and water lines so he is going to bring home the ends that they cut off of the new pipe going into the ground for me. He will put them together and I can put my yarn in it for storage. I have checked out storage solutions on pinterest so you might check into that. They have a lot of neat ideas for storage of all kinds.

I finished up the baby afghan I was working on for the custom order. I finished crocheting a granny square afghan and want to put a piece of fleece on the back to make it a little more warm and make it so little fingers cannot go thru the holes.

My sons visit got pushed back to July since his spouse could not get time off in June.

I started an afghan for hubby since he requested one in sage green and black. I might throw a lighter color in there too.

Have a good weekend all.

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Still going thru paper junk, can't believe I have so much useless records. But 15 minutes a day is beginning to show some light at the end of the tunnel.

posted Hide Post
Happy Memorial Day Weekend everyone!
I've been keeping busy sorting papers myself. I also have been watching you tube videos to get ideas of mini albums I can make to use up more of my stash of papers. I have one almost ready to put the cover on, but I have to go to the store to get 2 items to finish it. I've been putting that off so I won't be tempted to buy more stuff than what I need. I think tomorrow might be the day tho'

posted Hide Post
It is hard to get rid of the craft supplies, with all the sales this weekend. We have a new Hobby Lobby near me, and do I love that store.
I need to get rid of the old to take on the new.

posted Hide Post
Well, I was very good this morning. I only bought one thing that was not on my list of supplies to finish my project,(4 items)even though I had the 25% off total purchase coupon. I bought a tiny little clip board with a note pad to keep in my car.

posted Hide Post
I had to change the colors of hubby's afghan to 3 different shades of blue and am doing a corner to corner afghan for him it is working up fast when I have time to work on it which hasn't been much lately with my work schedule. my son had to change when he was coming home to the middle of july so I have extra time to get some cleaning done I need to get more stuff made for the craft show I have the end of july so am going to have lots to get done.

I also added more yarn to my stash yesterday so I am not helping my getting stash used up lol

HAGD all

posted Hide Post
I wish I knew how to knit or crochet. It would be something I could take with me when I take dd to Tae Kwon Do. Oh well, I am getting a lot of reading done.

I have been decluttering my stash by making some more mini albums. Right now I am making 3 for a friend's granddaughters. She is going to take some of the photos she has of them over the years and put them in the album to give them for Christmas. I also have places for her to write messages to them about the different photos. However once I again, I will have to be good when I run to the store for more adhesive.

posted Hide Post
Those albums will be a nice Christmas present. I am trying to down size a lot of scrapbooking supplies, but then a new Hobby Lobby opened near my house. With 50% off paper supplies, I couldn't help myself.....

posted Hide Post
It is dangerous when they do that isn't it. I really should go get some more of the 8.5x11 heavy cardstock as that is what I use for the bases of many of my mini album pages.

Just mailed my tag for swap on the Holiday board. I am proud to say I did it entirely with stuff from my stash.

Really need to get myself organized again from what I have been working on. I think we will be having an extra for dinner tonight (DD's best friend), so I will need to clear up enough to have a place for her.

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the advice. I need to get some stuff out of the closet so I can put a shelf or something in there. The wood would probably take up the entire shelf so I am not sure what I will do with That. I have been meaning to go to the store for weeks now and I know that I need to go soon. I am getting things done with items I own, but I know there is some stuff that i have to buy to work on Halloween items and.i need to buy a couple of large beads and I tried to find them on ebay but i would not find them. I have been organizing papers too. I recently started printing out patterns from the internet and I organized them In a notebook. I hate having to cut out stuff multiple times because you lost the pattern so that has made my life somewhat easier, but I am going to need more sheet protectors soon.

Nicole R.

Posts: 201 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Still working on my paper sorting. Have 3 bags full of stuff to be shredded. Took time out to finish a quilt and table runner. Trying to finish projects that I started before I get to something new.

Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone.

Thought I would let you know that I'm still around. I'm barely keeping up with the daily chores but I did finish a one piece crib quilt. It will go to the next Great-grandbaby that comes along.

Keep up the good work...15 minutes at a time Smile

Posts: 1304 | Location: Pa, USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Hey Granny Quilts, don't be a stranger. Good to hear from you.

posted Hide Post
I guess I should start a summer post since it is July 1!

I haven't been here as I was busy trying to get some stuff done before a short vacation. We went to Knoxville and Chattanooga Tn. Had a good time but it sure was hot.

I have almost finished the 3 mini albums I was working on. Just need to make the covers and bind them.

I was really good on my trip. We stopped at the Scrapbook Super Store in Pigeon Forge (or maybe it is Sieversville). They have a clearance center next to their store and between the 2 stores I only spent about $35. There was lots of good buys but I knew I had too much stuff at home already.

I hope that you are all doing well and getting your 15 mins in. I am going to start on mine for today as soon as I get off of this machine.

posted Hide Post
I love a good sale at a craft store. I am cleaning out craft things I haven't used for years because of too many "good sales" at the craft stores. lol.

Picture of Granny Quilts
posted Hide Post
I've been de-cluttering flower beds and decided to eliminate another one. It's old and only has a few crocuses and a small piece of rambling rose in it. Removing the brick border is going to be a pain since I don't have my garden wagon any longer.

But, my indoor garden is doing fine.

posted Hide Post
I have not been doing any decluttering except for using up my yarn. LOL Hubby put together a shelving unit for me to put my balls of yarn in so I am more organized in my craft room. I have not put any yarn in it yet I will do that here in a little bit. I need to get moving on it before son comes home next weekend. Hubby and I have no plans for the 4th and I work overnights the night of the 4th. I am busy getting ready for 2 craft shows so I am busy crocheting items to sell and have oldest dd crocheting some items to send to me so I can sell them for her.

I hope everyone has a good 4th.