Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   General Crafts
  Unopened wine bottle crafts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unopened wine bottle crafts Sign In/Join 
posted
Hello,
I want to do some diy projects for a friend of mine with a wine bottle, but I want to use a full bottle so that we can drink the wine together and then, possibly add something after it's finished to make it even nicer I'm wondering what types of things I can do just to the outside of the wine bottle. I don't want to make just a cover because I want it to actually be the wine bottle that has something on it. Any ideas?

Posts: 20 | Registered: Sep 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no idea if you have already done this craft since this was posted a while ago. But I saw it and I realized
That I just saw a few ideas on Pinterest that you could do with wine bottles.
Here is the link for painting it and turning it into a light. It is only a picture, but it looks neat. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/255086766367122767/

You can also paint something on it and then when you are done, put lights in it.
Here are some directions I saw for that.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/289848925988760893/

I will soon have an empty champagne bottle that I am going to save and try one of these. If you've already made something, I would love to see a picture of what you made.

Nicole

Posts: 281 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
I paint mine then turn them into wine lights using lamp oil and ceramic corks/wicks.

Decoupage is a great way to decorate a bottle if you don't paint. If it's for a special occasion you can decoupage words and pics of things that are relative to the occasion or person you are giving it to.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rainee,

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3204 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow Rainer, that is beautiful!! How long did it take you to paint it? Did you just use acrylic paints or the acrylic paints for glass? Thanks,

Nicole

Posts: 281 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nicole.

Let's just say it took me longer than it should. lol
It was painted using some old Apple Barrel acrylic enamels for glass that I had and then baked in the oven to make it more permanent.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rainee,

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3204 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rainee, What do you use for the ceramic cork wicks? Have done the lighted ones with Christmas lights but would love to try a oil lamp.

Carol

Posts: 980 | Location: Kansas | Registered: Oct 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post