Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   General Crafts
  FABRIC PAINTING--using acrylic paint & additive
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FABRIC PAINTING--using acrylic paint & additive Sign In/Join 
posted
I use acrylic paint & fabric additive (Americana or Folk Art) to paint tee shirts but sometimes they come out stiff.

IS that too much fabric additive or too little? Some flowers like hydrangeas need layering and I wonder if they will chip off later?

How do you paint on shirts? Tips please!

Posts: 1708 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Not sure, without directions on mixing?

I have always used Createx airbrush paints, whenever painting on fabric. With a bonding additive, one can paint with them (even without an airbrush) on fabrics and they are very flexible and permanent.

Prewashing fabric is always a good plan too. Many of the full bodied craft paints just don't have enough pigment to satisfy coloration without applying thick coats...which may also tend to crack?

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
I gave up additives for painting on fabric (and other surfaces) a long time ago. I now use DecoArt SoSoft Fabric Paints. They stay extremely flexible, permanent, don't require heat setting, and wash great.
Paints have changed so much for the better over the years and I choose to use a paint that's made specifically for the surface I am painting on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rainee,

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3184 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post