Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   General Crafts
  Spray painted mason jar lids safe?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spray painted mason jar lids safe? Sign In/Join 
posted
I saw these diy spray painted mason jar lids on Pinterest. I would consider doing it for a babyshower but, I'm afraid it's not safe. What are you thoughts safe or not?

Posts: 566 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those jars are so cute. I would google your question and see what you get. Unless there is someone out there that has made these before.

Posts: 303 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thimble lady
posted Hide Post
You are not going to spray the inside, are you?

Posts: 3658 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: Jul 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thimble lady:
You are not going to spray the inside, are you?

No, just the jar lids. It made me a little uneasy, I think about safety (sometimes to the point of seeming paranoid, lol) Just because I've read that people do it, it doesn't mean it's ok. I like to gather my info before I make a decision Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mountainbeach,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 5bells:
Those jars are so cute. I would google your question and see what you get. Unless there is someone out there that has made these before.

I found them on Pinterest, and thought they were really cute. I want to either do the painted lid ones (if safe) or something like these:

posted Hide Post
Being a cancer survivor, I tend to be overly cautious. It is safe to spray paint the lids outdoors so there are no fumes to breath or cover surfaces indoors. You do not want the paint to come in contact with any thing that will be going into your mouth. You can either use school glue and newpaper or tape and paper to cover any surfaces you do not want painted. Once the paint is completely dried and aged--I wait a minimum of 24 hours--wash the item to remove all paper and glue.

Posts: 174 | Registered: Jun 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post