Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   General Crafts
  Advice for crafts blog or website, please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice for crafts blog or website, please Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi all,

I have a question about blogs/websites and such and can't seem to find a better place to put it. Hope you don't mind that it's here.

I am a big traveler and have been fortunate to travel since I was 16 years old when I did youth exchange. Since then I have lived in several more countries and go abroad often for work. I am always amazed by local arts and crafts and how people display cultural crafts in their houses or gardens. I take lots of pictures of these things and the people I meet and have had some amazing conversations with people from all over about local art and culture.

I want to start either a blog or a website highlighting international crafts/art. I am not sure if a blog or a website is best for this. I'm ok with computers but could not write html code for the life of me so I'd need something with some good templates and maybe the opportunity to add some personal flair.

So my question is, blog or website. Do I need a web host? I have done some research and see that there are companies like 1and1--which I heard about from my uncle who uses it for his site-- that do packages and have a web builder (like this if you want to see it http://website.1and1.com/free-website-builder ). But is this what I need?

Anyway, I just thought there might be some of you out there with blogs or sites that can shed light on this. Many thanks!!!

Posts: 15 | Registered: May 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not real familiar with any of this. But you might want to try a blog first, I think that there are websites that offer those for free. So you could try that first without any cost up front. I would love to read or visit your website or blog whenever you start it. That sounds like a neat idea. I love seeing unique and different items from around the world. So let me know whenever you get it set up so I can visit your site. I hope that someone else with more experience can help you here.

Nicole,e R.

Posts: 281 | Registered: Jan 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post