Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   General Crafts
  Clutter Cleaners - It's August, where did the summer go?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clutter Cleaners - It's August, where did the summer go? Sign In/Join 
posted
I love to craft
It is so much fun
If my room were uncluttered
I'd get so much more done
So I pledge today
To do my fifteen
So that soon I might say
MY CRAFTROOM IS CLEAN!
(by camarogranny)

Well, I know for me it has flown by and in some areas the kids are all ready back in school. My dd has 2 more weeks before it starts here.

I did manage to do some decluttering yesterday. I cleaned out both my dressers and had dd clean out a couple of her drawers. I wanted to get a good idea of just what she needs before tax free week starts on Sunday. She is leaving for the Smokey Mountains on Wednesday, so I need to make the most of the shopping time. I am lucky if I can get her to cooperate with clothes shopping for more than 1 hour at a time. Right now that looks like it will be fine as she seems to only need shoes and underwear.

I do have a bag of clothes to donate that I will be dropping off today on the way to they gym.

So how have the rest of you been doing?

Posts: 2351 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a slow process, but I have been cleaning out closets and drawers to bring things to the thrift store. It is amazing what your can find that you forgot you had, especially with my craft items.

Posts: 271 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Great time for an early fall garage sale, right?

Posts: 5138 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
I don't know where the summer went but I want it back!!!

I've started having trouble with my blood pressure and still working to get it down to where it needs to be. Realize now that I'm feeling better that it's been bad for awhile. I'm feeling human again and have started sewing. I'm using up stash, so that my decluttering for now.

I did have DGD#1 take a large trashbag full of nice clothes home with her for school. I guess that counts, too. It's out of my house. hehehe

School starts the 19th and I'm not ready to go back.

Happy decluttering!

======================
l would be unstopable IF l could get started!!!

Posts: 9500 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rainbow, good to see you posting again.

I know what you mean about your blood pressure. I was having trouble with mine and didn't realize how it was affecting me until I got it back down to normal. I hope you can keep it down with school starting again.

Posts: 2351 | Location: md | Registered: Oct 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
I've been teaching a young lady how to sew, both hand and machine. She is picking it up quickly so I'll be able to use up some of my stash. Just finished a small quilt made from fabric panels, almost finished with another baby quilt and adding borders to a quilt for my DGS. It's been a busy week.

Posts: 4423 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok clutter cleaners, come out, come out from where ever you are!

Its been 10 days since anyone has posted. I hope it means you have all been busy in a good way. I have been cleaning out the linen closet, shopping for dd's school supplies and making some cards with my stash.

I discovered templates for 1 sheet wonders that have you cut up one sheet of printed paper and you make anywhere from 8 to 15 cards with the pieces - depending on the template you are using. I am using up some of that way too busy for scrapbooking paper that comes in every pad of paper you buy. So far, I have made 44 card fronts, using 3 printed sheets and about 12 sheets of cardstock. I have to get some white and cream colored card stock to make the cards to attach the fronts to, but I now have plenty of cards to either give as gifts or use myself.

Picture of NC HillBilly
posted Hide Post
I have been teaching my DGG to sew, and I have been cleaning out my stash of fabric. Also, she has moved into a big house, and I have been cleaning out all sorts of things to give her, from kitchen stuff to nick nacks and decorations. I still need to do a lot of thinning out, so I am helping her fill up that big house!"smile" Mira'ssmom, your card templates sound like something I could use. Can you share them, and show us your card fronts, please?
Pattyo

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NC HillBilly,

Posts: 1423 | Location: Dobson, North Carolina | Registered: Oct 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not done a lot of decluttering here lately except my yarn. I have been crocheting up a storm and trying to make stuff to add to my etsy shop. I have 20 items in my shop so far and have more to add. I am only working 3 overnights this week and going away for the weekend so I hope to get a lot of crocheting done and a lot of items made so I can take pictures and add to my shop.

My etsy shop is www.etsy.com/shop/caseycraftycreatons

Posts: 562 | Location: Brookings, SD | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started back into scrapbooking. I found a cart on wheels at Joanne Fabric store to put my 12x12 paper in. Now that I got that organized, I need to get the rest of my scrapping supplies in order.

Posts: 271 | Location: Davie Fl | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
I've not done a lot of clutter cleaning in the house but I have been decluttering my mind!!! I've finished up several projects that have been weighing on my mind. It feels so good to have them done. And I didn't have to buy anything to do them so I guess that's decluttering my supplies, too. Yay for me! Smile

======================

Posts: 9500 | Location: NW AR, Home of the Razorbacks! | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's good to see you all post!

5bells, you can google one sheet wonders and get lots of hits. Most of the blogs will post the template and then show the card layouts. If your paper has an obvious direction, you might have to change up the one you make a little.

It won't let me attach the pic or a link here for some reason. I'll try again later.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mira'smom,

posted Hide Post
Thank you Mira'smom. I will look up the site.

Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Summer might be on the way out but our heat won't be leaving for awhile. We just had our annual storm that knocked over telephone poles, tore trees out of the ground, flipped a 18 wheeler over and a mobile home. Left about 4500 folks without power for a couple of days. And we even had a lot of hail along with the rain.
Very scary for the dogs.

Picture of Rainbow
posted Hide Post
Wiley, that sounds scary for the big people, too. Our temps have been below normal this month until now. Summer heat had caught up with us!

Just regular cleaning around here, but I have been sewing, sewing, sewing! I'm finally caught up with projects I was behind on. I even mailed off a baby quilt that the new mommy isn't expecting!

School has started. I've subbed one day already.

Keep decluttering and post!!!

======================

posted Hide Post
Today is the first day of school here. My dd started high school today. Seems like only yesterday, she was insisting on taking the bus to her first day of Elementary school.

Today I am making and canning salsa. At least this year, I will put the canning jars I have been hanging onto to use. Dh kept telling me to get rid of them as I was too busy to can for several years.

Rainbow, I think our summer heat has finally arrived too. It has been much milder than usual all summer but this morning at the gym, I heard one of our tv stations was predicting a harsh winter.

How is everyone else doing with the decluttering?

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Wish I was well enough to do some canning. I loved to can, especially tomatoes & tomato juice.

I still don't have my craft things sorted to have a yard sale. Not enough energy. Need someone to come in and stay for a day or tow and help me out.

Now am trying to figure out a crochet pattern for an afghan. Pattern is not coming out like it should. And I know I'm counting right. Do people post directions and purposely put in wrong counts.? lol

Oh well. Wanted this post at the top. And I think this works.

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10013 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Was attempting to clean up my "cave" and came across some things a friend gave me to finish for a donation quilt. That mean's being distracted from cleaning but helps in the decluttering area.

posted Hide Post
I finished the tomatoes and put up some peach pie filling (frozen not canned) and am now back to working. I have filled a box with stuff to send to Salvation Army as well as filling a trash can with stuff.

I am going to spend the next week working on unfinished projects so I can get them put away. Most of them are gifts for Christmas or 3 babies that are due in November and December.

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Have finally started the afghan for my oldest daughter. Hope to have it done by Christmas.

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10013 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 9597 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the bump Conrad. I am getting really tired of seeing all the posts from our advertiser...

Well I have not done a lot of decluttering this week, but I did manage to finish up some projects I started and put them away for Christmas. I also am doing a challenge for another board where I send everyone the same thing and they have to make something from it and post it on the board. It was all from my stash, so all I had to spend was a stamp on each envelope.

How are the rest of you doing?

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Love to hear about all the de-cluttering everyone gets done. Wish I was one of you. Smile

Finally got the first square of the afghan done. 53 more to go. Not sure I like it but will finish the afghan as I bought the yarn and darn it I'm going to use it. She's in CA so I won't know if she uses it or not. lol

Still have laundry to put away and kitchen to clean up. But have a headache. Trying to cut down on so much coffee and I think that
s why the headache.

Jean

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We recently had two deaths in DH's side of the family. They were 97 and 94, great lives both. We are dealing with sorting and dispersal of items, pictures, letters and such.
Sure makes you take note of what is important to you that you have, and what you can let go of with a smile.

Anything we have not used, means little to us, and see no future need for (or it can always be replaced with another later) is going to GO! Big garage sale next spring!
Plus our out of state move, and home sale will be so much easier. Wink

Posts: 9597 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been going through my stash and making some Halloween crafts. I am finally putting a dent into the craft clutter.

Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7495 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put a dent in some crafting clutter - unfortunately it wasn't mine. My sister took a book binding class and decided to make handmade journals for people. She got busy with work travel and didn't get them made last year, so I spent yesterday learning how to do them and now I am going to make them all but stitching them together. I will give them back to her to do that part. She can take them to work and stitch one a day at lunch. I have 3 ready to go home with her and will be making up another 15 for her over the next couple of weeks.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Bump.

posted Hide Post
Conrad, thanks for the bump. With out unwelcome guest, real posts have a tendency to get lost.

Clutter Cleaners, our nice cool weather yesterday really got me going and I was quite productive yesterday. I decided to work on the living room and I rearranged the furniture some. That led to rearranging the stuff on the surfaces, which led to a box of stuff to go to donate. While doing that, I also went thru a lot of papers we had been saving in the desk and about half of those are headed to the shredder. Now if I can just keep the momentum going into the dining room where I have a lot of supplies out...

How are you all doing?

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
I'm not doing to good on the clutter. Decided to make a couple of afghans for Christmas and have been making granny squares like crazy. Needless to say, need to do dishes today and try..really try...to clear off some of my dining room table. Have a new paper cutter coming and will want to play with it. Good time to make a few cards. And all this with a touch of the 'crude'. Just no 'life' in me to do anything. Don't even want to eat. (Now that is bad) But I'm working on getting something done today.

You did a great bit of de-cluttering mira'smom. Way to go.

posted Hide Post
Feel better soon, granny 3641.
I'm decluttering my craft things; putting everything in containers and even labeling the containers. I have a couple of bags ready to take to the church thrift store. It is funny how you can find things you forgot you bought.

posted Hide Post
Its been almost 2 weeks since our last post. I hope you are feeling better granny 3641. I hope that everyone has been well.

I managed to keep decluttering some, but not as much as I would have liked. I bought a new rolling cart for my supplies and put it together. I donated a dresser that has been sitting in front of the guest room closet and placed the cart there, with it being on wheels, it allows easy access to the closet. While I was working up there, I went thru the closet and ended up with 1 bag of clothes and 3 boxes of stuff to donate.

While I was working on that, my dd found some tin pails and bath stuff I had in there and has put together 4 little bath sets for her friends for Christmas. She is happy because she won't have to spend her allowance on presents for her friends and I am glad to have the stuff out of the closet.

Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Thanks mira's mom...I'm feeling better. And good job of de-cluttering and gift giving all in one.