HGTV Message Boards
why do people enter if they are not going to move there?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4001010234/m/9193976667

Jan 12, 2013, 10:20 AM
Music1871
why do people enter if they are not going to move there?
My question is why do people even enter a "DREAM" contest if they would never even move to the area to live in the house? I didn't even enter the ones in the other parts of the country where I didn't want to move. There really are "some" people who look at the videos and pictures of the house DAILY and go to bed at nite DREAMING of moving there and living there!
Jan 12, 2013, 12:27 PM
conrad
Contests are just contests, and the odds of winning are so astronomically low, most winners are likely to just sell as soon as possible and use the proceeds (whatever they ended up being) to use however they chose and where ever they wanted to live.

Most all of these "Dream Homes" are in locations I would not move to, so if I entered & won (which is not going to happen if I do not enter) I would be one to sell it fast.

You do realize these contests are just to get advertising dollars and email addresses to send more ads and product links read?
Jan 12, 2013, 07:31 PM
mythreesons
Conrad, The 19 or so prior winners of the DH's would not trade their winnings for not winning. Wink
Jan 12, 2013, 10:53 PM
conrad
Ok, maybe just me then. Smile
Jan 13, 2013, 08:10 PM
USCDIVA
I have entered a couple of HGTV giveaways with no intention on moving to any of the areas advertised. I live in San Diego, why would I ever move to the midwest, east coast, or some other less than desirable area? The reason HGTV gives you the option of taking the cash is because they know not everyone is looking to relocate, they set the rules so obviously they don't mind if you opt out of relocating.
Jan 14, 2013, 05:25 PM
nursejudy
Music 1871, it is the dream. How exciting it would be to win. I visited the Sonoma home and many of our dreamers were able to visit others and it just increased the dreaming sharing what we saw.

Some of us could move and relocate, others would sell and then build their own dreamhome. There are also many decorated hints you can gain as other bring up different things they have seen.

Today, I'm dreaming of a nice cup of hot chocolate in front of the fireplace in the greatroom because it is cold today. While sitting there was contimplating how to hang my Christmas stocking from the antique gate above. Smile

*****Catch the Excitement*****
******Dreams and happiness to all my MB friends******
~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥
a flapjaw and a Sheltie collector avatar fan
Real Friends Believe in Your Dreams
Jan 15, 2013, 11:16 AM
pj243
music 1871 if you enter and win you have a choice ! and its a choice you didnt have before the contest ! Me im on the fence bc i used to live in georgia so im very familiar and love that area! but i also have small grand babies so it would be a hard choice! on the other hand i can always visit say once a month ! lol

Money doesnt make the world go around but it does make the trip alot nicer!
Jan 16, 2013, 02:28 PM
TangoW
Regarding the Dream Home and Green Home...they have the cash option*; winners are under IRS Sweepstakes' rules; the entry is free.
Maybe these issues keep HGTV in the Sweepstakes business?
Millions of entries suggest the exposure to sponsors and the TV show are high.

*not all HGTV offerings have this.
Jan 18, 2013, 09:32 AM
aychihuahua
The sole purpose of the Dream Home giveaway is to garner millions of eyeballs as a marketing tool for the sponsors of the sweepstakes, including the developer of the community where the DH is built. It is an advertising bonanza for all concerned.

Choosing to live in the DH is secondary, and most winners do not.
Feb 25, 2013, 01:32 PM
nursejudy
For some it is the fun of dreaming, for others the money and some just for the fun of it plus you get some great decorating ideas as well.

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥
a flapjaw and a Sheltie collector avatar fan
Real Friends Believe in Your Dreams
Feb 26, 2013, 11:12 AM
flboy
I just want to be on T.V.!( Kidding of course!)

html
Feb 26, 2013, 04:44 PM
KeepYouInStitches
1.5 million in cash and the SUV instead of moving when I am perfectly happy where I live - Yep. I entered.

The only home that would have tempted me would have been the home in Tyler TX. However, I doubt that we could've afforded the taxes and insurance - so that home would have been on the market ASAP.

Sherry
Does this hat make my butt look big?
www.keepyouinstitches.blogspot.com
http://s193.photobucket.com/al...9/keepyouinstitches/
www.friendsofthedaingerfieldpu...library.blogspot.com
Feb 26, 2013, 05:22 PM
conrad
Yep. I have never been tempted by the locations of any of the homes, most are too urban for my tastes and in the wrong climates. The cash would be fine though. Wink
Mar 05, 2013, 04:04 AM
markwright
thanks a lot to all of you. all the best to winner
May 18, 2013, 08:32 AM
Loyal Follower
I can dream, can't I?
May 25, 2013, 01:29 PM
nursejudy
Dreaming and loving it

~ ~ ♥ ~ ~♥ ~ ~♥~~♥~~♥~~♥