Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disappointing programming Sign In/Join 
posted
I was a huge fan of HGTV for many years. I stopped watching about a year ago because of the boring lineup. Sick to death of House Hunters, My First Place, Property Virgins. Seemed like all that was being shown was house sales. So I decided to try again and was really disappointed to see the same boring shows. How many times can you watch someone buy a house. The new show, My House, Your Money is the worse show I've even seen on HGTV. More House Hunting only this time with unappreciate, insulting, rude young adults. Then there's Love it or List It; A whiny, over dramatic realtor that no real person would deal with and a designer that is rude, ALWAYS unable to deliver what's promised and makes promises that are impossible with the budgets given.

PLEASE give us some more design shows for the average person. I'd love to see shows that gave me some info I can use; not ones that have budgets the average person couldn't possibly afford.

Color Slash was one of my all time favorites until he moved to Miami. Now it seems every show looks like the other; all the same style and again with budgets we couldn't possibly afford.

Please go back to the previous mix of shows; I know you can't bring back the old shows but take a look at what was there about 3 years ago and come up with something similar. An attempt was made with Design on a Dime and High/Low.

Guess I will be taking another year off and hope that things improve.

House Hunters several times a night? Good example of taking a good show and making just the name of it nauseating.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greenosity
posted Hide Post
Totally agree - except that they need to go back eight or more years for the good programming. Their focus almost strictly on real estate made me stop watching HGTV long ago.

Posts: 15 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Nov 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
K9Chef, Welcome to the Boards. Hope you will continue to visit and post. Your message is right in line with what a lot of viewers are thinking and saying. Some of us have been sending emails to HGTV to try to get them to change their programming, but so far nothing has helped. Let's hope the new year will bring some changes.

Marylee

Posts: 1455 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been a fan of HGTV since the days of Matt and Sherri when the network was showing promos and winter/nature scenes between shows instead of commercials.

Having said that, I am now so tired of HH, HHI, PV and MFP. Disppointing is the right word. Maybe they should change the name to HHTV or spawn a new real estate channel.

The only feedback that works is ratings, so I don't think these posts will have much effect. We might try letting the advertisers know of our disappointment though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Purdygirlpeg,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree...My House, Your Money and Love it or List It have to be the worst shows ever. If I wanted to watch this type of negative programming I would watch Jersey Shore or the like. Why does the network think that conflict relationships and just plane rude and narcissistic people make good television? Click...that's the sound of me changing stations.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, all the house hunters etc suck, what happened to Matt and Shari, Tony and Walt and the craft shows. This years Christmas specials were awful, what few there were. Get back more of the shows that made me want to watch HGTV in the first place.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree, this use to be a station I watched all the time. Now I can't think of a currently running show I care for.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, have been a BIG BIG fan of HGTV since I first started getting it. I am disappointed because i work every day during the week and when i turn it on in the evening, it is ALWAYS House Hunters, House Hunters international or some other real estate show. Before that, it was Holmes Inspection EVERY time i turned it on. What happened to the design shows? And i don't mean design contest shows. What happened to shows that give you ideas and ways to improve the house you're in now? Candice Olsen was my favorite - i never missed her show. It's never on now. Also, shows like Design on a Dime or Designed to Sell are never on in the evenings anymore. Repeated real estate sale shows is BORING. Please bring back some of your good shows that engage people and taught them things about design and color. I'm not a fan of the contest shows either. They have taken over almost all channels. I miss my HGTV - give me some new stuff!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I AGREE COMPLETELY THAT THE PROGRAMMING DEPARTMENT NEEDS TO GO BACK 8 YEARS AND GO BACK TO THE TYPE OF PROGRAMS THAT MADE HGTV. NOW IS YOU ARE NOT RICH, THERE IS NO REASON TO WATCH. I USE TO LEAVE IT ON ALL DAY. NOW I NEVER TURN IT ON. THE ONLY THING THE NETWORK IS INTERESTED IN IS THE RICH MONEY PEOPLE AND MAKING THEM HAPPY.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I completely agree with most of the posts here. The programs have gone down hill over the years. I've written many, many times and they continue to produce and air the same real estate shows. I definitely agree with Mary Jane and I too, hate the negative, conflict shows My house, Your MOney and Love it of List it. HATE THEM!!! I like Mike Holms but hate the show. But I'd rather see that than House Hunters 50 times a week. I do like House Hunter International when they show cities or towns in countries outside the US or Canada...usually very interesting.
But please HGTV bring back Decorating Shows.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Feb 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The programming is terrible! I can't believe that hgtv ignores their former devoted audience, and what gives with there being no "Abby" to respond to concerns?

I laugh every time I see the ad for their new magazine. If they devoted more effort to their programming maybe they wouldn't be losing us. I'm home sick and normally would be enjoying an afternoon of hgtv--but am channel hopping because hgtv *****.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Dec 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why am I or anyone interested in realtors or anyone for that matter having a conversation that isn't especially interesting. I tune in to ogle decorating and architecture that I can't afford. What would make Selling LA and NY better shows would be much less talking heads and more touring homes and condos. And I'm a master of the channel flip and mute.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen! I've been watching HGTV since 1998 - the good old days when it was about decorating, gardening and entertaining - NOT HOW TO BUY A HOUSE. I just finished watching the new LA homes show. Couldn't believe it! Are you kidding??? Some little girl - future starlett - calling the shots. OMG I can't believe it. Second show I've watched and I've never seen such rude people! Enough of the home buying shows. Bring back talent like Kitty Bartholemew (?) Chris Maddon - decorating in colors other than blue and brown and contemporary!!! You do have a traditional and country audience out there - how about catering to them every now and then? I'm serious, I'm turning you off - I'm done.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I'm Done!:
Amen! I've been watching HGTV since 1998 - the good old days when it was about decorating, gardening and entertaining - NOT HOW TO BUY A HOUSE or make someone look like a fool. I just finished watching the new LA homes show. Couldn't believe it! Are you kidding??? Some little girl - future starlett - calling the shots. OMG I can't believe it. Second show I've watched and I've never seen such rude people! Enough of the home buying shows. Bring back talent like Kitty Bartholemew (?) Chris Maddon - decorating in colors other than blue and brown and contemporary!!! You do have a traditional and country audience out there - how about catering to them every now and then? The only night of design is Saturday night. Some of us go out Saturday night. Bring back shows like Matt and Sheri, The Gardening Guy, etc. and bring them back during the week when people are home the most. I used to love decorating for Christmas the day after Thanksgiving because the whole day was Christmas decorating specials - now it's...guess what...House Hunters! I know reality shows (House Hunters, etc.) are cheaper to produce because you aren't paying the talent but c'mon! I'm serious, I'm turning you off - I'm done.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 100% with all of those who are sick to death of night after night of the same shows. Bring back some old competitions (Like Design Star) or ANYTHING!!! Just stop with the 2011-2012 marathon of HH and HI.

Posts: 37 | Registered: May 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been reading the other post and I concur. I am very disappointed with the programming line up. SELLING HOMES. Morning, Afternoon and Evening.

What happened to Holiday decorating shows? What about more gardening shows? Even crafting shows?

My tv never ventured off of HGTV when I was the only one in the house. Now I rarely do anything but skim by to see if there is something else on beside Home selling and buying. But I am constantly finding nothing there to stimulate me, so I surf away to other channels.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ceeayche
posted Hide Post
I concur with the other posts. However, what is really disappointing is that in the year since this post originated, there has not been a single post from the administrator AND there have been no adjustments to the programming. Has the network sold out to the real estate industry?

Really? House Hunters for 12 hours on Christmas Day? Really? I may start writing the advertisers.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WHAT'S GOING ON WITH PROGRAMMING HGTV??
Can someone help me please find my favorite landscaping contractor, Ahmed Hassan of Yard Crashers? I do not like to sign up to anything requiring me to give personal info including my email address. However, the frustration I'm having locating my favorite shows on this network is a bit overwhelming. I miss AHMED HASSAN!!! Is he on break? I miss his enthusiasm, creative touches, unique style, & good looks!! I am very disappointed with the new host on Yard Crashers so I won't watch it. Can some notify me when my favorite guy returns????

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By the way, the new program line up *****!! No one tuns in to see the same repeat show 1/2 hour after 1/2 hour to now end. Where are the creative make over shows. Things that we can almost do ourselves at home without going totally broke & where is Ahmed Hassan??? COME ON GUYS!!!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepmaker
posted Hide Post
I totally agree! Programming is so lacking...I rarely watch anymore. So....HGTV a number of complaints here, what are you going to do about it?

Posts: 601 | Registered: Apr 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am SO DISAPPOINTED with the programming that I am actually placing a message on this board. Where are the designers? Where are the shows that address design concepts and challenges? What about better garden design - not just those that make over a space in two days but really address planning and space. I would appreciate much better programming. We have watched HGTV since it first began and we just can't take it anymore.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of michgrl
posted Hide Post
What about the design star winners? Where are their shows? Meg had a few, then she vanished. Next, the most recent winner Danielle, a few shows, and she vanishes. I liked both shows. I am also sick of the House Hunters shows. I liked Cari's estate sale show, that too disappeared. Also, to participate in a show you must live in LA, Jersey, or Atlanta. Why don't they go other places? I see they are looking for obnoxious Jersey realtors for a new show. Yuck.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here it is, a year after the first message in this line, and we're all still complaining. HGTV has become Real Estate TV Recycled from Canada. I wish my Dish Network would just drop this channel and give us something better. Used to love HGTV but now, what's the point of watching? So I don't.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
I have been watching HGTV for a long time. I always loved it. However, I am always hoping to see TV programs about landscaping and gardening. I WANT TO SEE SOME GARDENING SHOWS!!!!! Seriously, I am a new homeowner and frankly am bored of all the house renovating/decorating/buying TV Shows. I want to see some gardening shows. People on the Gardening Boards have been begging to see Gardening Shows for years now. I loved Gardening By The Yard with Paul James. Now that show is gone. I AM REALLY SICK OF THE PROGRAMMING SCHEDULE. I love HGTV but don't watch it that much any longer. I WANT TO SEE A GARDENING T.V. PROGRAM FOR AVERAGE GARDENERS. I want to learn more about gardening and not only from message boards and reading books. If you refuse to bring back any gardening shows at all, then REMOVE THE 'G' FROM "HGTV" IMMEDIATELY!!!!! Mad

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Reda Lou Carey
posted Hide Post
I am so glad to see that I am not the only one that is full of disappointment every time I turn on HGTV. It has become about the rich and famous. I use to turn to HGTV because I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. I knew I could focus on my house and they would be there to motivate me. When I was down it was a getaway for me. My mom died a few months back and I spent many weeks at home trying to find something to take my mind off of things..can't turn to HGTV because all I am going to see is House Hunters. She loved to watch the decorating shows. I hate almost all of the new programs they have on. Especially Love it or List it and Especially House Hunters. I love the Junk Gypsies and shows like that. And the news cast lady that has the flea market thing.
The problem is as I watch them...who pays 600.00 for a chair at a flea market? Not at my flea market..What world are they living in...Rich people aren't watching your channel..hello..its us the real people...How about a show that focuses on our opinions...that should be interesting!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am upset with how far HGTV has declined
I was a faithful watcher for over 12 yrs.
now I may watch it every once in awhile
not enjoyable to much of the same programming
over and over again. How much of love it list
do we need. cash for cari was awesome. Do
you not do decorating anymore.

Posts: 1 | Location: ga | Registered: Jan 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Firstly I would like to say how much I love HGTV! however I would like to know who is in charge of daytime programming? Maybe they can tell me where all the old great shows are? I am sick an tired of the one show marathons on in the afternoons that has been going on for months! I mean most are becoming reruns. I miss designers challenge, design on a dime, divine design , color confidential ect, ect, even if they are repeats its better than marathons or love it or list it, income property, and property virgins. Please bring back the old multi show afternoon line up.
Thank you
Jeff

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this channel is being managed by real estate speculators who are running it as a personal hobby.

It's nice sometimes to see rich people's houses but I would like to see shows addressing life out here in the real world. For instance:

Downsizing. Living in smaller spaces and how to fit your belongings into a smaller space and what to get rid of and what to keep.

Remodeling mobile homes.

Retrofitting for moving into parents' basements. Grandchildren coming to live with grandparents.

And (horrors) a gardening program focussing on growing your own food to help offset the coming high prices and food shortages.

And there is an adage that these people need to remember.
NOBODY EVER LOST MONEY MARKETING TO THE BABY BOOMERS. Most of the advertising on tv is geared toward them for a reason.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count me in the group of people who are really disappointed with the programming on HGTV. The programming seems to consist of only three shows: Love It or List It, Property Brothers and House Hunters. While I like these shows, do we really need to see them back-to-back, day after day? What happened to Sarah's House, Candace, Genevieve, Colorsplash (although San Fran was better than Miami), the "Sell this House" type makeover/staging shows, John Gidding, Sabrina, Lisa LaPorta, Mike Holmes, the Apartment search show, the original Property Virgins, Vern, that Australian Gardening dude, etc. Those Million Dollar Shows are like holiday weekend filler and we don't need too many of the flea market shows either. I just wonder who is programming these days as it is clearly a step down in my opinion.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, and I also miss Selling New York...

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many posts about disappointing programming does it take before HGTV does something. we are the DIYers that made this channel popular. I am so sick of reruns i hardly watch anymore. Saturday and Sunday, the days that most of us watch because we work during the week and the whole weekend is reruns. HGTV you have lost us all. Did you forget to film new show????

Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm SO glad that I am not the only one who is disappointed with HGTV's current programming. All it is any more is House Hunters and Love it or List It. Where are Candace Olsen, Genevieve Gorder, David Bromstad? I liked Love it or List it at first, until I noticed on every show she has a "crisis" that stops her from doing what she told the homeowners she could do? I mean, doesn't she work with a contractor that could tell her these things before the project is started? I'm sure they do it for the "drama" value. I will not be watching HGTV any more either. I am going to try DIY.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Mar 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I not only find the current programming disappointing, but much of the decorating that I have seen recently is so far off of my radar that I have evidently lost any and all touch with anything that I would ever even consider in good taste, much less trying to reproduce it in my home. I am embarrassed to admit that I have watched HGTV for 2 hours this afternoon, simply because I was so astounded at the design concept being presented by 'Meg', using the new lines of HGTV products. I watched in amazement as she made what appeared to me to be one hideous selection after another, and transformed a once passable room with good bone structure to a cacophony of colors and design that it was actually jarring. Maybe that was the point? I am by no means a 'bland' decorator, but there is a difference between good taste and design and circus or carnival environs.

Posts: 1 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Mar 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ntuitive1
posted Hide Post
I have an idea - Why doesn't HGTV start a new network called "The Design Network"? A lot of cable channels have started spin-offs, and since HGTV and DIY both seem to be on a different wavelength and a segment of the public still wants the design shows back, it seems to me to be something necessary. Plus it will put a lot of out-of-work TV designers back to work that we all miss very much! "The Design Channel" can be HGTV's answer to Food Network's "Cooking Channel", where it has found a new home for some of its winners of "Food Network Star" and other chefs who once appeared on Food Network. HGTV, are you listening???

Posts: 2145 | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
As I have suggested before....Presently, HGTV DOES have the videos we can view of our interests. We can do so online. However, if these were set up on streaming devices, viewers can pick and choose from the various files which shows they are interested in. I don't have any idea if these programs are able to track the viewers' interests. But, if it could what an advantage this would offer HGTV's programming. One file would have the real estate programs. Another file would have the Gardening. A file/various designers. Crafts, Green, Smart, or by room decor. This would make MANY of your viewers thankful for the choices. Even the shopping could be set up as a file.

In the Smart Home folder, there's a member commenting on THREE televisions. I've discovered the new Roku3 has earplugs to use, so the viewer of one screen wouldn't confict with the other viewers. I will sometimes use my headset to view HGTV videos while my DH is watching his television show. So, I can see the possibility of 2. I can't imagine having three on at the same time...but one could be used for photos being displayed as artwork/ those in the financial world may want to keep track of their stocks.

I'm thankful for the opportunity to express our ideas here. And....the networks are paying attention.

Posts: 5047 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone of these posts are exactly what I have been saying on boards and emails to HGTV. They don't listen, they don't care. If you are reading HGTV keep running the design marathons on Monday and Tuesday mornings...I got a TiVo specifically because Sarah's House and the other wonderful shows were airing while I am at work. Please let me load up my TiVo!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got cable because I fell in love with HGTV. Couldn't get enough. Now the programming is the pits. Love it or List It? Are you kidding me! Where are good designer shows. Genevieve can't design a show without a zig zag rug. ugh.

Posts: 29 | Location: NC | Registered: Jun 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is why no one at HGTV is listening... someone is clearly watching the shows even if there are a lot of viewers that aren't happy with what they are seeing. This network has become a glorified "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"

[01/08/13 - 02:03 PM]
HGTV Rings in the New Year with Record Ratings
HGTV spins the numbers for Tuesday, January 1.
[via press release from HGTV]

HGTV RINGS IN THE NEW YEAR WITH RECORD RATINGS

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Jan. 8, 2013 - An all-premiere line-up helped HGTV to the No.1 spot among all ad supported cable networks on New Year's Day among upscale A25-54, W25-54 and W18-49 .

In addition, HGTV secured its highest New Year's Day primetime and Tuesday primetime in network history. The day's programming included the annual live and commercial-free coverage of the 124th Tournament of Roses Parade, the HGTV Dream Home 2013 and two new series, Hawaii Life and Island Hunters. HGTV's total day resulted in more than 18 million viewers tuning in on New Year's Day, up +11% versus last year.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so happy that me and my wife are not the only ones disappointed and fed up with HGTV Programming. We had been big fans of HGTV for many years and loved the old shows with Michael Payne (Designing for the sexes), Designers Challenge, Candice Olsen just to name a few. I would love to talk with the head of programming to understand why the move away from design themed shows. I just can't see why anyone would be that fascinated with real-estate themed shows. I loved house hunters international but even I'm tired of it. Also, I have never seen a network that repeats shows as much as this network does. Now is the perfect opportunity for another new Home Remodeling network to spring up and give the kind of programming that the people want to see. If that happened, I truly believe that HGTV would lose more than half of their viewers.

Posts: 1 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to agreeing with most of the posts above, I wonder WHY the House Hunters episodes shown at 12 noon (11 am CDT) are so frequently reruns - MANY TIME OVER! The one today originally aired in 2002!! Does HGTV not need ad revenue during this (and many other) time periods? More importantly, is anyone from HGTV paying attention to these forums?

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by G8RGRL9395:
This is why no one at HGTV is listening... someone is clearly watching the shows even if there are a lot of viewers that aren't happy with what they are seeing. This network has become a glorified "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"

[01/08/13 - 02:03 PM]
HGTV Rings in the New Year with Record Ratings
HGTV spins the numbers for Tuesday, January 1.
[via press release from HGTV]

HGTV RINGS IN THE NEW YEAR WITH RECORD RATINGS

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Jan. 8, 2013 - An all-premiere line-up helped HGTV to the No.1 spot among all ad supported cable networks on New Year's Day among upscale A25-54, W25-54 and W18-49 .

In addition, HGTV secured its highest New Year's Day primetime and Tuesday primetime in network history. The day's programming included the annual live and commercial-free coverage of the 124th Tournament of Roses Parade, the HGTV Dream Home 2013 and two new series, Hawaii Life and Island Hunters. HGTV's total day resulted in more than 18 million viewers tuning in on New Year's Day, up +11% versus last year.

The problem with this argument--and thank you for the post: I totally get that it's not your argument, but HGTV's PR department's--is that if they are celebrating their ratings' success based on New Year's Day--New Year's Day is a total, anomalous outlier. It has no statistical meaning related to their overall programming direction currently.

The adjective "all-premiere" basically negated relation to current reality.

New Year's WAS pretty much all new programming. The Rose Bowl/New Year's parade? Of course everybody is watching, the alternative being NBC flacking its new, second-run shows and the vapid finalists of "The Voice" (try, if you can, to get a fleeting glimpse of a float). Dream Home has a lot of lovely design elements, and the Island Home stuff is fine for a lot of design junkies (like me) who like HHI for insights into how culture and environment translate to design.

So if, by some strange logic, the validation of HGTV's current direction is their astounding success on the one the day of the Infinity Floral-46 Nacho Bowl, that is some mean spin...

Posts: 81 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, totally agree that current programming *****. I haven't watched in months and will continue to not watch. I miss the design shows!

Posts: 4 | Location: VA | Registered: Oct 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't posted on these boards or watched much HGTV in a long time, for the reasons all of you state so well. But I have to agree with Bonactor and GR8GRL?? - HGTV is using stunt shows like the parade and the dream house, to boost its ratings occasionally and crowing about it. In addition, I saw an article last year in which HGTV bragged about being the number 1 network in programming about homes, i.e., design, real estate, DIY, gardening, etc. And they are, even without stunt programming, because there are virtually no other networks offering this type of programming. Bravo used to have a good design show, but it's gone; Martha Stewart often had good design segments (although never enough for me), but she's gone; and PBS had/has Katie Brown, but she's not my cup of tea.

I've been hoping that other networks would notice that there is an audience that used to love HGTV and now is not being served by HGTV. I've hoped that those networks would give us at least some design shows, gardening shows, craft shows, etc. I had hoped that Oprah's new network might pick up and air some of the Canadian design shows, but no such luck. I still think there is a big opportunity out there for a other networks.

These days I'm watching "Steven and Chris" on LiveWell network. They are the former "Designer Guys" and they've had a talk show in Canada for a few years now. Every show has a design segment and many of them are great. They have other designers showing their work, like Tommy from Sarah's shows. It's not enough of a "fix" for me, but it sure beats HGTV's current programming.

On the issue of cost and profit that someone raised: HGTV is owned by Scripps, which also owns Food Network. I don't think Scripps is hurting for money. Food Network still is producing new shows, so I don't think the programming decisions for HGTV can be completely cost driven. I know that HGTV has at least 15 episodes of Emily Henderson's show that it filmed, but never broadcast, which baffles me. And I see that HGTV has aggressively pursued product placement and advertising deals with Target ("Sabrina Does Tar-chez" as we call it in my house) and Sherwin Williams paints and Home Goods for Color Splash. So I think that HGTV could afford to produce new design shows, but just isn't interested.

It looks to me like HGTV's creative juice is being spent on developing HGTV products, from the magazine to the furniture line to the paint line. It's a shame that HGTV isn't taking care of its long-time fans with the new design shows that those fans want, because those fans are the customers for all of HGTV's product lines.

The one bright spot that I've seen at HGTV in the past year is Lara Spencer (?). I hope I have the right last name for her. I love the few design shows that she's done. And I liked the Flea Market Flip show. I hope to see more of these, especially her design show.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sst-a,

Posts: 415 | Registered: Jul 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read a couple articles touting HGTV's growing viewership, but I don't know anyone who watches anymore. Something I read suggested that those of us who complain are old and over-the-hill, and HGTV really doesn't care about marketing to us. However, my daughter's generation (mid-20's) is all about buying and decorating homes, and into crafting via Pinterest. I believe they would be a prime-market for how-to and decorating shows such as those HGTV used to offer. I know no one of that generation who are watching HGTV, either, yet the very success of Pinterest with that age group would suggest they would be a target market. I scan the program listings occasionally in the vain hope that HGTV might once again become my favorite network. I haven't watched them in years, and I have no idea who does. Just who is this invisible market?

Posts: 6 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Oct 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with all the criticism and recently sent them a note. In my opinion they are insulting their previously loyal viewership with these manufactured contrived drama shows. I feel if people were looking for staged reality type drama, there are other shows and channels we would go to.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the last few posts, sst-a, mgo, and GB+--It's sad, really...I don't post here or check in much these days, but miss the fun, design-related conversation with some of you.

I do get the HGTV magazine, and find it an alternative reality--designers pretending they have shows and fans, and actually making practical suggestions under the titles of their never-shown programs. (Real estate world is kicking in there, too, but in small doses...)

I'm not as disturbed as some here by product placement in Sabrina's and David's shows, since they have some terrific ideas and creativity that are applicable and accessible--I'd just like to SEE them--and Candace and Sarah and Kenneth Brown and Antonio and Emily...Certainly,I don't care for certain designer's preferred styles, but always enjoyed the opportunity to take from the good.

And, as one of you noted, my college students/alums and 20-30-ish nieces, nephews, godkids and their friends LOVE Pinterest, flea markets, re-purposing, and finding their styles.

Interestingly, some posters here are citing ratings and business reports that this new HGTV model is really NOT working out financially, as touted. Let's hope some one wises up.

Posts: 81 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to be VERY disappointed if there isn't a White House Christmas 2013 program this year....anyone know WHEN and IF this is going to happen ??

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These related posts go back over a year. Still no change in programming. Very disappointing. Some have said they send emails ** HGTV. W**** are they sending it **?

Posts: 3 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate the programming enough to register for the boards to complain.
What happened? Why? The fact that you get 24-7 of just two shows is appalling considering the amount of money this network makes. The total disregard of what the viewers are asking is a slap in the face.I feel like the programming is like being caught in an old Twilight Zone episode to which there is no escape. I do not want to buy or sell a home and I don't think the staged selling and buying would help if I was.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Right in this Message Board under Viewers Services Dept thread, you will find how you can contact HGTV directly and post your opinions. I have and I think it will have an effect.

Posts: 4902 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post