Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love It Or List It Parity Sign In/Join 
posted
I have to really give credit to Hilary on this show. It seem that while David rarely stays within his price or neighborhood parameters Hilary rarely gets a budget boost, and then, only after begging and brow-beating the homeowners.

Why does it seem to be that while going from a 450k home, David gets a List-it price of 600k (Think about it. That means he has a "List-it budget" of 150k), while the owners give Hilary a Love-it budget of 30k?

We all know that Hilary will add 45k to the home's equity with that 30k. And this after having to do: Mold abatement; Asbestos remediation; Foundation rebuilding; Installing engineered beams because the owners want an 'open-concept;' Re-piping the entire home to bring it up to code; Re-wiring the entire home to prevent a fire; Redoing the home's clogged sewer; Rebuilding rotted and un-insulated walls; Replacing leaky windows; Reroofing leaky/rotting roofs. . .

All the things the owners are "shocked to find-out about" the home they've lived in for years.

Shouldn't Hilary be allowed to work with a more realistic budget (i.e., If the owners are willing to "List It" for a 150k upgrade, how about a "Love It" renovation budget of, say, 85k or some reasonable percentage of the List It difference? Think of the added equity when Hilary is done! How about a non-disclosure clause to Hilary's budget. For instance, referencing a recent episode a married couple of House Flippers referenced that "basement smell" that turned out to be mold and a leaky basement foundation. The mold was easily visible in the next room.

Were these people that ignorant? I wouldn't buy one of their flips. Were they looking for (what they hoped to be) a cheaper remodel to add the equity they needed for a new place? Were they simply looking for the television exposure for their business? My question though, here is: Should there be some sort of clause for at least a percentage of these kinds of costs to be absorbed by the homeowners and not Hilary's Love-it budget?

There was another episode in which the owners did not reveal that the husband did some DIY "fixes" to the home until after Hilary's contractor opened up the basement ceiling to reveal floor joists that had been improperly repaired to fix water damage from the bath tub.

Regarding David, how about trying an entire season where David MUST stick to all the List-it parameters (Especially budget and location) just as Hilary must currently stick to her Love-it budget, except for those "unseen" (undisclosed?) problems. Any changes in David's location or increase in price must be met with an increase in Hilary's budget.

Parity.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Igor,
It is the format of the show. HGTV only buys this program, it is produced by a Canadian company for Canadian TV. It airs on the "W Network" in Canada. HGTV carries it because someone is watching it and the cost of acquiring it and showing it is less than the revenue it generates for HGTV from commercials so it makes them money.

Next to House Hunters it is probably the most commented show on the boards. People either love it or hate it.

It may be "reality" it may be "unscripted" but it has a formula that it follows, the homeowners that apply to be on the show know the drill. The producers want the drama so the homeowners, Hilary, Eddie, Fergus and David all have a part to play.

1. Come up with some unrealistic budget for renovations.
2. Find some unforeseen problem in the house.
3. Throw out one of the homeowners must haves (new bathroom, finished basement, kitchen, whatever) to cover the unforeseen problem.
4. On the purchase give David an unrealistic budget to find the ideal home in their neighborhood.
5. David swings and misses with the first two houses shown, out of unknown quantity of actual homes shown.
6. David goes way over budget or way out of the desired neighborhood. Couple ***** it up and loves the last house.
7. Hilary delivers a pretty amazing project that doesn't meet all their needs, couple debates and normally stays in their existing house. I think it is running about 60/40 stay v list.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6943 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
A DVR makes this show more watchable. Fast forward through the whining and see what Hilary comes up with in the end and what house David finds in the end. The stuff in the middle is just needless drama.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6943 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post