Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benham Brothers Sign In/Join 
posted
Apparently, HGTV cancelled the Benham Brothers' show because it disagrees with their religious beliefs, or because it wants to placate a pressure group. HGTV should not censor its hosts in this way. If the brothers have a good show, they should be able to do their show, without meeting some "litmus test" that is unrelated to remodeling or flipping houses.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly, JohnG

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree....While I am not a Christian, I am tired of the less than 10% dictating what I can and can not watch on TV, tired of their thuugy tactics, tired of TV networks bowing down to them. So HGTV, you can now join OWN and A&E, who are blocked from my TV.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I find it disturbing that a group of people, homosexuals, are allowed to turn America into a place of hatred of Christians. Shame on HGTV to allow this practice when all of us viewers have never spoken a word of hatred at all of the homosexuals on HGTV.

html

Posts: 2478 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find it disturbing that a group of people, homosexuals, are allowed to turn America into a place of hatred of Christians.

Although I still am not to sure what happened with the Benham brothers (whom I had never heard of) and while I agree it is appalling if they were cancelled simply because they are Christian. I have to take exception to your statement above.

First you seem to think that being gay equates to being non-Christian. This is simply not true. One does not effect or affect the other.

I, myself am an atheist but am not gay or anti-christian or anti-Jewish or anti any other religion. Do I think they are mistaken? Yes indeed I do, but so what? There is evidently a deep need in the psyche of people that so far is met by beliefs in supernatural beings and happenings and a continuing life beyond the death of a physical body.

Posts: 12501 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
This is what I found on a Christian website:

One of David Benham’s remarks, perhaps nothing new to the ears of most conservative Christians but incendiary for the left, was as follows:

“In the Leviticus passage above it says that death is the consequence for homosexual sin. This is how detestable this type of sin is to God. However, Jesus came and took the consequences of this sin upon Himself on the cross. Homosexual sin is covered by the blood of Jesus the same way stealing is. The only difference today is that homosexual sin carries with it an agenda, other sins do not. Homosexuality demands acceptance, and the blood of Jesus cannot forgive sins that are no longer sins. The blood of Jesus cleanses sin.”

O.K. as I understand what David Benham is saying is that because homosexuals "demand" acceptance and now the right to marry, that Jesus can not forgive them the sin of being homosexual. Because (I think that homosexuals no longer are admitting they are sinners?) Is that what you all get out of this quote?

I think this is a very silly thing to say. When and why do people like this think homosexuals decide to become sinners via becoming homosexuals? Would it be about the same time heterosexuals decide to become heterosexual and thus not sinners?

I don't see why this would be incendiary to the left, since it is what Leviticus says. But Leviticus says lots of things that certainly the Benham Brothers would no longer want to adhere to.

The Bible is just a book written by men from stories told over many years mostly at times when the other things those people believed we would find laughable and scary. If it were the word of God, why didn't He disseminate it over all the people living in the world?

I don't know how large the Benham family is but if not already, sometime in the past or sometime in the future it is bound to contain a gay member. Maybe then they will learn just how much chose is involved in being homosexual.

But The Benham brothers certainly have a right to quote the Bible and to believe those quotes too. Still not too sure they were going to be doing it as the cameras are filming them flipping houses.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12501 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so disappointed and discouraged. Shame on you HGTV! Cancelling the Benham Brother's show is discrimination. Your Channel WAS my favorite and I enjoyed many of your programs. I will miss them. However, I will NOT watch your channel any longer as long as you make these types of decisions. And...I will not knowingly purchase any of your sponsor's products. If you change your mind and stop allowing anti-Christian agendas to manipulate your executive decisions, I will heartily renew my previous loyalty to your programing.

Posts: 1 | Location: Az | Registered: May 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
lady of shallot, I am a Christian but I am not a loony tune. I am standing up because in the last month Christians trying to just get employment have these CRAZY people who HAPPEN to be homosexuals, stop their employment. If you or I did that to a homosexual we would be in deep KAH KAH! Why can't any person with a brain understand that this is reverse discrimination? If it is okay to scream and yell for your abortion rights and the right marry a person of the same sex, please give Christians their rights too!

html

Posts: 2478 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post