Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats up with the programming? Sign In/Join 
posted
The daytime programming has become one marathon after another, mainly House Hunters and HHInternational. What's happened to the other shows? Why the change? I used to enjoy watching most of the day. No more. Is there a chance the programming will return to a variety of shows?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with Rebekieh (?) What happened to our favorite design shows that I looked forward to watching every afternoon, Candice, Genievieve, Sarah, David, and others. Where are my friends. I'm sick to death of seeing House Hunters, My First Place, Property Virgin and anyone of them that has a young couple perusing three houses. Sometimes you can tell that none of the three is right for that couple or single person but they choose the best of the three. Don't you guys upstairs get it? I'd rather watch reruns of the Waltons than another couple trying to buy a house. PLEASE, bring back the design shows on week-day afternoons and also, why did you also screw up Saturday afternoon programming. For the same reasons as above, I can no longer stand to watch HGTV in the afternoons. The only night I watch is Saturday and also the new Design Star series on Tuesdays.

Posts: 1 | Location: NY | Registered: Jun 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, it is so boring now. I cannot watch the same episodes over and over every Sat morning. It use to be my favorite time with my coffee and my HGTV, now I find myself changing the channel!

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree whole-heartedly. My weekend mornings were perfect -coffee and gardening and landscape shows. Now there is only real estate sales and I change the channel. I wish the programing would return to the older content.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Completely agree. None of the good shows are on anymore - Design on a Dime, Designing Cents, etc. Shows that apply more to the majority of the nation that is struggling u right now. You can only watch so many people search for houses or try to sell houses, which seems to be the only shows on anymore. I used to watch HGTV from Friday night - Sunday, it was on almost non-stop. Now it is never on anymore. It is all of the same thing all the time. Extremely boring.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Feb 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so happy to see that I'm not the only one who feels this way about these shows on HGTV!! I enjoyed the shows that taught me inexpensive ways to make changes around my own home that I could do by myself. I am not interested in watching all these couples looking for a house. Also, I am not interested in watching shows about people hiring professionals to come in and completely renovate their home for thousands of dollars. I want them to return to the true DO IT YOURSELF shows where they show us simple projects that don't require a bandsaw and a demolition crew. I hardly even watch anymore. I love the new show Junk Gypsies but the way HGTV is moving, they'll probably take it off the air.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree about the rerun of all these shows, too.

I miss shows about realistic things like Design on a Dime and redoing a room for less than a couple hundred dollars. Not interested in A MILLION DOLLAR Makeover. Give me a break. We seldom watch HGTV because it's all become fake.

Yes I knew the House Hunters was set up in advance (for closing costs time & filming purposes) but now I'm readin some houses were never sold. So why watch "fake reality" shows.

Give us back designer shows like you used to do years ago on Saturday night. I'm not interested in "Fake Designer, become a Star shows".

Get back to the heart of landscaping, gardening and room designing for the average person, please.

The marathons are all overdone Frown

Glad to see I am not alone. My housemate feels the same way. Also burned out on the making over a basement into an apartment shows.

Please give us back realistic shows about fixing up a house or a yard!

Thank you

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sophiaz,

Posts: 1 | Location: Earth | Registered: Jun 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness I am not the only one! House Hunters and real estate, that is all that is on. Bring back some of the good daytime shows(and night for that matter) that used to be on. I rarely watch HGTV anymore because it is boring and all the same stuff.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am with the majority of viewers on detesting all the marathons of House Hunters and HH International. All my friends and I have quit watching HGTV as there is very little worth watching these days. I still watch Saturday evening the 3-4 new design shows and New Design Star.
I hope Dear Genevieve returns, I love to watch her shows as I did when she was on Trading Spaces. Also, I would like to see reruns of Decorating Cents with Joan Steffen. Her shows were so entertaining.
Wake HGTV bigwigs, you are losing viewers by the thousands.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like you just got here recently. HGTV has never been more successful; you do NOT represent most of the viewers or the company would not be so successful. You may agree with a dozen or so people who post the same thing here over and over, but that certainly does not make you and them the voice of the viewers.

Posts: 732 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's with sad realization I now know that the HGTV network that I've loved watching for the last fifteen years is gone. It appears that the new format is well supported and will continue to expand. It's ironic the parent company that states it's goals are "to provide relevant ideas, information and solutions everyday, everywhere" and "is committed to making a positive difference with those we come into contact everyday", has become another outlet for Reality, Celebrity, Game Show and Product Promotion type programming. Really? That's their idea of providing "relevant ideas, information and solutions that make a positive difference". Those of us who continue to want Intelligent, Informative and Entertaining types of programming are obviously in the minority. Even with the changing culture and evolution of interactive media it's disheartening to think we are now in the minority. I guess so... The demographic for this network is said to be 25 to 54 in age with an average income of $100,000. It's hard to believe the majority really prefer this type of shallow, and un-creative programming. So for now I'll continue to watch the three or four shows I enjoy, but will otherwise say "goodbye" to my once favorite network...

Posts: 25 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where are the old shows make over a room for $500.00 design on a dime designing for the sexies, rate my space, pull out the old shows something worth watching. HGTV DO YOU READ YOUR MESSAGE BOARD, DO YOU UNDERSTAND WE ARE THE VIEWERS. THEY MUST NOT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING ONLY PUT ON WHAT THEY WANT TO SEE NOT WHAT WE WANT TO SEE

Posts: 37 | Registered: Feb 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only shows on now are the ones that make the most money...Miss all of the old shows Chris, Lynette, Debbie etc etc etc. Agree with every post here I DON'T WATCH hgtv like I used to all the time not anymore. Programing has lost touch with us the fans. Genevieve is the worst designer on tv remember her on trading places where she painted the room a color the home owner said they hated to show THEM good design rofl. Every other channel on tv has reruns but not like this..HELP get back

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As of now the old HGTV is NOT coming back. In researching their parent company I found internal press releases about their plans to double down on House Hunters and similar programming. In addition they are going to be doing more celebrity type and competitive type reality show formats. So disappointing! In addition, their ratings numbers and income levels support this type of programming. So discouraging!! I guess this is what America is all about these days. But then again, maybe America is watching this junk because that is all that is on. How I long for the days when I could spend my Saturdays with HGTV gathering ideas and inspiration, making lists of projects, trying some new arrangement or decorative idea...

Posts: 25 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the past few months, I've noticed this change with HGTV. HH & HHI -- I've never been so sick of anything in my life... I loved Sarah Richardson's shows, Candace Olson, etc. but they aren't on anymore! They have disappeared. I detest the CRASHER shows. This afternoon, HGTV has a marathon of those on the air. If I wanted to see how to CRASH my bathroom, I'd watch DIY channel. Keep those on that channel, not on HGTV. Listen to your VIEWERS! Besides that, what's the point of having a new Design Star when apparently they aren't going to get a show. The only winner who has their show on air presently is Meg from last year. Even the first winner has been cancelled. Oh, to watch this year's winner, I'll just turn to DIY channel!!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I joined the message board thinking I would be the only one concerned that HGTV has become a channel for pushing real estate sales. In my area, I can't find decorating programs, or other programs that were once a major part of HGTV. When I finally luck up and find one, it's a re-run that's been aired numerous times. (I work full time, so it's a challenge for me to see programs multiple times.) It's misleading to use the HGTV ads/website/contests to lure us to the channel and not provide the programs that we all long for.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maxangale
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with everyone who has posted. What's going on with Sundays Holmes on Homes??? I would rather watch more of a variety. He's rude and BORING....

Posts: 6 | Location: Texas | Registered: Jul 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
To everyone who has posted - if you go over to the Fan Favorite board you will find out that the majority of posts are expressing the same concerns you have posted.

Unfortunately, HGTV does not monitor the boards, heck, there hasn't been an Abby for 1 1/2 years. Your best option is to email Scripts directly with your complaints.

Posts: 3393 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like the recent programming changes either, like the older Design on a Dimes, Color Splash and Candace Tells all... Maybeits time HGTV/Scribbs come out with a new Realestate channel. Hopefully this fall will bring more design shows..I love the new White room Challenge, would be cool just to see some of the old Design Star seasons in re-run/marathon, theirmost popular show!!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reruns, reruns, reruns -- BORING!!!

Posts: 610 | Registered: Sep 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't even had this channel on all summer. There is not a think on design-wise just blocks of real estate shows. (what a surprise) I only check Saturday night if I remember to DVR anything. So sad for us viewers that enjoyed down to earth design.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jan 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Patti Elhoff
posted Hide Post
I see that Chuck know it all, or as he calls himself, chuck steak, is the ONLY person that tried to insult the people on this board by saying that HGTV is so successful. Why is it that I do not know one person? NOT ONE? who watches HGTV anymore? Ask most women who Carol Duval is, and they know. Ask about the dull real estate shows that are on now? Everyone has to think hard only to come up with the same question. What show is that? I never watch HGTV anymore for any reason but for reasons I can't reveal, I can say that the consumers DO want the old HGTV back.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why the rudeness? I stand by my statement that HGTV is more successful now than ever by the only standard a public corporation can use to measure success - profitability. HGTV is in business to sell advertising and financial reports of Scripps, the parent company, show that viewership and revenues are up.

Posts: 732 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Steak:
Why the rudeness? I stand by my statement that HGTV is more successful now than ever by the only standard a public corporation can use to measure success - profitability. HGTV is in business to sell advertising and financial reports of Scripps, the parent company, show that viewership and revenues are up.

The facts back you up, Chuck. Also, what the folks on this message board don't seem to understand is that they represent only a miniscule fraction of the viewing public. The vast majority of HGTV viewers do not post on this message board. It's like talk radio: only the passionate few call in.

Posts: 5161 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ntuitive1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Steak:

Just because the network is successful at pushing crap doesn't mean that those people out there with some taste are wrong for criticizing it. Maybe that's the problem with HGTV - They've sold out to appeal to the common masses who have no real interest in design or any of the things this network was supposed to be all about.

HGTV is doing what a lot of other networks are doing to increase their viewership, which is appeal to people's more basic instincts. Sure, if you're going to push stuff like that, people will watch it. It's all about profits and not about quality. That's why TLC is now nothing but the freak show channel. But this is only the case because the channels themselves aren't creative enough to come up with programming that is both entertaining AND elevating, not just an idle waste of time, or interesting only because of it's sideshow value. They could give us both, it's not impossible and the two things are not mutually exclusive.

The American public is being dumbed down by a lot of these networks. If they did produce something both elevating AND entertaining the public would love it, but they're just too lazy and lack the creativity to do that.

Posts: 2145 | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ntuitive1
posted Hide Post
My contention is this - Don't own a network that's supposed to be about home and garden if you're going to give in to reality show garbage. You could start another network if you're looking to make the bigger profits that are made on such channels. I feel the same way about the History channel too. Where's the history anymore? First they farmed it out to H2 and now that's fast becoming a wasteland too. I have to keep searching for ever newer and less known channels or PBS to find any real history programs anymore.

If you want to get mad at anyone, get mad at the cable and satellite companies who charge exorbitant prices, which keep the channels scrambling to keep up their ratings. If HGTV wasn't under the gun to produce the ratings to attract enough advertisers to pay those exorbitant fees, perhaps we would see some better quality programming. Let's face it, it wasn't this bad even 5 or 6 years ago. The trend is going in a very negative direction and programming across the board on TV is suffering. Which is one reason I'm glad there's still PBS.

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the cable landscape is more and more of less and less. Innovative programming falls to reality junk food like the Wives series of shows, or celebrities at home, etc. Don't watch those, I need intelligent/talented people at the least. Competition shows can be fun and stimulating - and they can be idiotic. Food Network? competition on top of competition. In the midst of the world-wide slow-food movement, success is rated by what you can achieve with random ingredients in 15-60 minutes. Go figure!

I do know plenty of people who like the House Hunters programs - HHI combines a bit of travelogue to the mix, too. It's a type of fantasy for people who find makeovers tiresome - and face it, we've had years of makeover programs. (Were Changing Rooms [BBC] and Trading Spaces the first?)

There's still room for new takes on what has proven popular, and for some innovative program that challenges a bit of thought. As for me, I am not really for more shows where a couple of thousand bucks and a couple of days are expected to change lives. And in fact, now that we have Hi-Def TVs and cameras, some of those old formats won't work: the work was so fast and shoddy that it would not pass muster in clear focus! (There still are cases where the camera moves pretty fast, but not fast enough that we can't see places the paint brush missed!)

Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with both previous posts! Where are all the decorating shows!!! How many House hunting shows do you have to watch? I am starting to stop watching my once favorite channel! Please change the programming lineup we need more variety.

Posts: 1 | Location: georgia | Registered: Sep 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also get really frustrated with the unimaginative, lazy programming on HGTV. I like Curb Appeal the Block but not hour after hour of the same program. House Hunters International is also a waste. I don't need several hours of this show. I'm not planning to move overseas.Where are the programs for normal people. I don't want to see how millionaires designs their home. How about Design on a Dime and other design shows for the average person. There are almost none of them on anymore.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Oct 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HGTV used to be my favorite network. The operative term is "used-to-be." Now it's almost all real estate. What happened to crafting, hands-on-techniques, and real-life-decorating for real people? I haven't watched anything on HGTV in forever, although I often glance at the programming to see if there's anything there worth watching. I am finally home during the day, and a quick scan of the programming shows absolutely nothing that I wish to watch. House-Hunting and million dollar rooms are fun now and then, but not for a steady diet. I've even had a family member on House Hunters International, and naturally enjoyed that. But, PLEASE recognize that there is a heartland of potential viewers that wants to watch to be inspired in our own REAL homes.

Posts: 6 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: Oct 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with those who are disappointed in HGTV - excuse me, I mean Real Estate TV. Why don't they just go ahead and change the name already?? I think it's all just about the bottom line these days. It surely must be a whole lot cheaper to hire regular people to star in their house hunting shows than to hire qualified designers/gardeners/craftspersons to host shows. Then there is the cost of furnishings and materials, etc. Unfortunately there are watchers who must not have been around when the QUALITY shows were on, and they are watching the new format because they don't know any better. Most of my friends hate the new HGTV and never watch anymore. But that's just my opinion!

Posts: 38 | Registered: Oct 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HGTV is all about real estate now. Yawn. They need to get back to the 3Ds: Decorating, Design, DIY.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bosco's Mom:
HGTV is all about real estate now. Yawn. They need to get back to the 4Ds: Decorating, Design, DIY.
And DIGGING!!!!
Great post, made me laugh!!!

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry it this isn't the right place to go for an answer, but I'm new to this. I just purchased a Roku Box and need to figure out how to get HGTV through it. It is my wife's very favorite channel (even though I've thought about channel blocking - lol)and I need to keep her happy. Can I be helped?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello, I started watching HGTV again just for a change of pace and found the programming to be mainly just a few shows revolving around people house shopping for homes 300,00 to 600,00
This is so unrealistic, and gets very old! What happened to the HGTV of 10 years ago, where you had the gardening shows, that really were informative? I especially love the gardener s diary where she showed beautiful gar dens and the hoe owners told how they created it, and gardening by the yard.
It was for home gardener s and had much how-to information.
Could you please have shows t hat help people maintain and design their homes? You are geared
Waaaay too much around rich people buying houses. What about the ordinary folks? And what about
Gardening shows?

Ladydi431

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally agree! The programming is sooo boring!!! So sick of house hunter marathon & holmes! And holy repetition it's the same shows over & over! Seriously it should be called real estate tv! Where have all the great design shows gone? The ones I fell in love with HGTV in the first place, Sarah, Sam, Peter Falico. Please bring back the fun modern hip designers and less House Hunters... snoozer!! Brian is great love him, but there aren't enough shows! make more!!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that HGTV programming has gone downhill. There used to be a great mix of shows and now it is one House Hunters or Love It/List It marathon. The HGTV Brass need to bring back the variety along with the tried and true designers; Sabrina, Vern, Candace, Sarah, etc. DIY Network is becoming an attractive alternative!

Posts: 24 | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if the folks who program don't read these comments about pitiful programming it is REALLY SIMPLE to contact the advertisers and let them know WE ARE NOT WATCHING hgtv anymore. too boring!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We need some new shows! I am so tired of Love it or List It. Its on non-stop. I used to have the TV on all day with HGTV now I don't watch it at all! Bring back my favorite DESIGN shows already!!!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't believe posters like Chuck Steak who tell you that your opinions don't matter. Market researchers know that every poster here represents thousands who feel the same way but don't bother to write. Keep expressing your likes and dislikes. They matter!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with everyone! I emailed them about it and no response! I used to like the show where they would clean up a room, garage sale, donate, trash. There is no variety any more!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ntuitive1
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, the only opinions that seem to matter to HGTV management are those of the 18-24 male age group, who by and large these days are still living home with their parents and are completely uninterested in anything pertaining to home improvement and design. Which is why HGTV's programming is continuing to go downhill in the eyes of most of the rest of us who want to get something helpful or at least esthetically pleasing out of watching this channel. The audience they're aiming at is only interested in kicking back and zoning out on idle entertainment. The rest of us really don't matter. It's all about attracting the almighty advertising dollar. Forget anything enriching or having any integrity. That went out of cable TV with "Honey Boo Boo". It's sad.

Picture of JemBoy30
posted Hide Post
Too bad we fans cannot pull together and create our own satellite network! Maybe another conglomerate would hear us out and provide a niche channel since Scripps isn't listening?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valyfran:
I totally agree with Rebekieh (?) What happened to our favorite design shows that I looked forward to watching every afternoon, Candice, Genievieve, Sarah, David, and others. Where are my friends. I'm sick to death of seeing House Hunters, My First Place, Property Virgin and anyone of them that has a young couple perusing three houses. Sometimes you can tell that none of the three is right for that couple or single person but they choose the best of the three. Don't you guys upstairs get it? I'd rather watch reruns of the Waltons than another couple trying to buy a house. PLEASE, bring back the design shows on week-day afternoons and also, why did you also screw up Saturday afternoon programming. For the same reasons as above, I can no longer stand to watch HGTV in the afternoons. The only night I watch is Saturday and also the new Design Star series on Tuesdays.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I don't read through all the comments usually but my thoughts are that maybe if so much money wasn't being spent on all these house giveaways, HGTV could afford to produce some new shows instead of these endless re-runs!(and maybe able to pay some actual design talent)

Posts: 19 | Registered: Aug 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JemBoy30
posted Hide Post
I agree with the post about them being able to afford quality shows and designers if they didn't do the whole dream house sweepstakes thing. There are plenty of ways for them to sustain their monetary gains, though it seems people at the top do not seem to have enough business sense. Then again, they might be lining their own pockets with the money they save by playing reruns. Why in the world do they have high ratings if they play hours upon hours of trash? Most of the time, the same episodes are played ten times a week!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I completely agree with everyone, isn't anyone from HGTV reading these boards? I should be watching someone give me great DIY ideas for decorating my dining room for Thanksgiving, or maybe my home for a holiday party this time of year.

There are tons of posts on the Love it or List it board and VERY few of them are favorable. If no one likes the show why is it still on? I wish HGTV would go back to home and garden programming and start a new network called The Real Estate Network for those who haven't had enough of all that drama.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Nov 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beckieh:
The daytime programming has become one marathon after another, mainly House Hunters and HHInternational. What's happened to the other shows? Why the change? I used to enjoy watching most of the day. No more. Is there a chance the programming will return to a variety of shows?

We'll here it is jan 2014 and I am asking the same question. Been without cable for about a year, was so excited to get HGTV but am SO disappointed. whatever the reason is,HGTV is terrible! Boo .. So... Sad...

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post