HGTV Message Boards
Programming is all WRONG!

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3944019072/m/6443981967

Mar 25, 2013, 11:50 AM
Live2learn
Programming is all WRONG!
Why on earth has HGTV decided that marathon programming is the way to retain viewers? Before this shift in your schedule I was a die hard HGTV viewer. Now I watch court tv to avoid it. I can't imagine that I am the only disappointed viewer out there. I love chocolate cake but not for every meal all day long! Diversity is the spice of life.
Mar 26, 2013, 04:22 AM
ntuitive1
HGTV has become a schlock network, only out to maximize profits. There's no ethic there at all, no commitment to quality programming. That's out the window now. It's all about the highest profits for the least amount of expenditure, even if that means sacrificing everything of any value to anyone to get it and settling for the mediocre.
Mar 26, 2013, 03:30 PM
timtam
One wonders how/where they find any profits at all with this abysmal program line-up! I haven't watched in months. A couple of times, I've been desperate enough to turn on HGTV. But invariably there is Love It or List It -- every darned time! And I immediately turn it off again.
Mar 26, 2013, 07:24 PM
Charcoalsmom
It's been years now since they had decent programming. Totally agree about that Love It or List It, too. Turned on HGTV at least 3 times lately at night and that Love It or List It was on. Turned it right off.

It just amazes me how once was interesting and diverse programming has gotten so bad. HGTV used to be SUCH a wonderful network--I had it on all the time. Now, I rarely turn it on. So sad.
Mar 27, 2013, 11:53 PM
ntuitive1
Does anyone watch DIY Network? Is it any good? Are there any decent design/makeover shows?
Apr 05, 2013, 11:30 PM
tinyt
I loved hgtv for years. There were so many wonderful, fun and creative programs. Now it seems like there are a few programs that are shown constantly. Where are the designers? The gardeners? The do it yourselfers? Hgtv needs to do something fast. I know a lot of people that agree.
Apr 06, 2013, 12:47 AM
gibbymom
Please, please, please go back to shows that inspire do it yourselfers. I am so tired of House Hunters of any kind. I can only watch at prime time and I want design ideas...I'm not moning anywhere! Please, HGTV...get back to the format we loved!!!
Apr 06, 2013, 11:06 AM
Sparky
quote:
Originally posted by ntuitive1:
Does anyone watch DIY Network? Is it any good? Are there any decent design/makeover shows?

DIY has some decent shows. They are into the "crashers" variety.

House of Bryan is a good show. His Disaster DIY show is good. Holmes is there with "Holmes Inspection" his follow on show to Holmes on Homes. Man Caves has a distinctly masculine take on doing basements.

DIY probably has more shows that are DIY related than HGTV's current line up. But none of them are offering much in how to instruction.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Apr 09, 2013, 04:40 PM
jevix7
I am really disappointed in HGTV lately. I used to love all the shows. Now every time I turn it on it is either House Hunters, Love it or List It, etc. What happened to all the great Design Star winner's shows and the home decorating shows. I am so sick of House Hunters! Sorry, but this channel has really changed.
Apr 22, 2013, 06:45 PM
vgsebert
It is disappointing that HGTV has joined the othe cable networks to work the cheep way by giving us a marathon of reruns. Like to see a little more orginal creative scheduling here.

Would also like to see Rehap adicts latest shows instead of last years dollar house.
Apr 23, 2013, 09:40 PM
KrewGirl
Agree completely! Why not just call this the House Hunters network?? I get that House Hunters is cheap to produce and it costs money to have a design budget for a decorating show, but there just isn't any reason to watch HGTV anymore. I used to have HGTV on most of the day while I did chores around the house, but I've given up on HGTV entirely. Too bad. Guess I'll get fat watching the Food Network!