Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thank You (Flip it Forward) Sign In/Join 
posted
Thank you for cancelling the Benham Brothers' show Flip it Forward. I am glad to know HGTV does not endorse or financially reward hatred, discrimination and bigotry.

I've watched your station for over ten years, and I've never felt prouder of being and HGTV fan.

Thank you for taking a stand against hatred.

Posts: 20 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: May 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is no only disgusting but absolutely un-American of HGTV to cancel the Benham Brothers. When a TV network starts deciding what is or is not what we "should" hear is when I stop watching that network. I am a proud Christian and for that reason my employees and I talked it over and agreed to not watch any further programming on HGTV. We also will block the station from even showing on our guide channel. You will NOT decide for me how or what I should feel. This screen name will also ne removed as soon as this posts (providing HGTV allows an opinion other than theirs to post). Should this not post, all of us plus friends, family and their friends etc. will start a write in campaign. Should HGTV then decide to show the program we will not come back now that we see your true colors. It was a good ride but now it is over.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right there with ya Builder. When we heard earlier we did the same and blocked the channel. No more HGTV in our house and I hope their sponsors feel the same way about the network judging people on the basis of their religious beliefs. I was raised to believe that everything happens for a reason and maybe this time the network will wear out their welcome. Good luck with that.

Word DocBenham_Brothers_Cancellation.doc (10 Kb, 0 downloads)

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
When a TV network starts deciding what is or is not what we "should" hear is when I stop watching that network.

I am sure that you realize the SOLE function of a network is to choose exactly what programs to put on the air. So I imagine you will give up your television as every network chooses exactly what they want you to see and hear.

Posts: 20 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: May 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scarecrow68:
Right there with ya Builder. When we heard earlier we did the same and blocked the channel. No more HGTV in our house and I hope their sponsors feel the same way about the network judging people on the basis of their religious beliefs. I was raised to believe that everything happens for a reason and maybe this time the network will wear out their welcome. Good luck with that.

Do you really think that HGTV will lose sponsors or viewers simply because they canceled a TV show? Good luck with THAT. :-).

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Every viewer that has never spoken out against the hiring of homosexuals and watching and enjoying said shows, has now been slapped in the face for being a Christian. The bully pulpit is seen here with every posting by larilee. Why larilee? Shame on all responsible for carrying this hatred against Christians forward in such a disgusting manner!

html

Posts: 2489 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LariLee:
quote:

Do you really think that HGTV will lose sponsors or viewers simply because they canceled a TV show? Good luck with THAT. :-).
Yes, I do think they will lose viewers and possibly some sponsors. If you don't believe that, I can only conclude that you are not paying enough attention to the world around you. I do know that they didn't, as you put it, just "simply cancel a tv show". They cancelled it for a reason and I for one will not continue to watch their network. Why would someone give up their television because networks choose their programming? I am sure you realize that most TV's come with remote controls and know the main function of them.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flboy:
Every viewer that has never spoken out against the hiring of homosexuals and watching and enjoying said shows, has now been slapped in the face for being a Christian. The bully pulpit is seen here with every posting by larilee. Why larilee? Shame on all responsible for carrying this hatred against Christians forward in such a disgusting manner!

flboy, you are trying to project your own hatred, intolerance and bigotry on me. I doubt if you have any concerns whatsoever on the programming of HGTV. This is merely an outlet for your hatred of sexuality. Hatred is not a Christian value.

posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Yes, I do think they will lose viewers and possibly some sponsors. If you don't believe that, I can only conclude that you are not paying enough attention to the world around you.

I believe you are the one who is not paying attention. How many states honor same-sex unions? The Supreme Court struck down DOMA. More and more states, cities, counties, and municipalities are making it illegal to discriminate based on sexual orientation. More business are offering benefits for same-sex partners. Every year, more people become accepting as they realize they have family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, and service people who just happen to be gay.

Will HGTV lose a few viewers? Maybe, but I doubt it. Would they have lost more viewers with the Benham Brothers? More than likely.

quote:
[QUOTE]I do know that they didn't, as you put it, just "simply cancel a tv show". They cancelled it for a reason and I for one will not continue to watch their network. Why would someone give up their television because networks choose their programming? I am sure you realize that most TV's come with remote controls and know the main function of them.

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Larilee, You are the one attacking Christians. I am merely pointing out to any Christian left on this site that they are not alone. I have always watched all HGTV shows and enjoyed them. I know that any person who is as prejudiced as you, your day will come as it has to the very innocent Benhams, you though, will deserve all that befalls you after all of these attacks on people defending their religion. What goes around comes around.

html

Posts: 2489 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am sure that you realize the SOLE function of a network is to choose exactly what programs to put on the air.

I think what the observations here by the majority are that HGTV did not exercise its SOLE discretion in this scheduling decision but rather caved to a vocal minority that wanted to see the show cancelled.

After all isn't it HGTV that originally contracted with the Benham Brothers to add them to their show schedule?

I have read many things about this but I have yet to understand what exactly the Benham brothers did that was so offensive. Did they publicly declare that their objective in being on HGTV was to promote their views on homosexuality?

We don't all come to the tolerance table at the same time. It appears that some of us need to express intolerance and when one door closes we look quickly around for another way to express it. If one is tolerant of homosexuality (which is certainly my viewpoint) why does that seem to mean you can not then also be tolerant of Christianity? Or is it only those Christian views that you don't agree with? Or would it be o.k. with you if there were Christians if only they never opened their mouths and stayed in a closet and held secret Church services?

Posts: 12666 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Lady of Shallot,Thank you, A Lady is always a lady and you truly are. I understand that to attack homosexuals is wrong but why isn't the same leeway allowed to Christians? It is their upbringing to believe their faith and the teachings. To repeat them out loud now means that you should be fired and excluded from society? The CEO who was fired last week for a donation to a so called Christian ORG, as well. Chick fill a owner being excluded from the cities that liberals ran, Chicago for one. Americans need to speak out or we will be a country of hurt, as Germany was not so long ago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flboy,

html

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
[QUOTE]I think what the observations here by the majority are that HGTV did not exercise its SOLE discretion in this scheduling decision but rather caved to a vocal minority that wanted to see the show cancelled.

Actually, they pulled the show before any protest was made, once they received documentation of statements made by the brothers regarding homosexuality and Muslims. A&E recently ran into problems when the patriarch of Duck Dynasty made comments that were both racist and homophobic. Even though they reinstated the full cast/family, they've lost a large percentage of the viewers. And advertisers are still receiving boycott letters from running their commercials during the show. Words have repercussions.

quote:
[QUOTE]I have read many things about this but I have yet to understand what exactly the Benham brothers did that was so offensive. Did they publicly declare that their objective in being on HGTV was to promote their views on homosexuality?

They have repeatedly equated homosexuality with that of Nazi Germany. They have repeatedly claimed homosexuality is "destroying America". They have repeatedly compared homosexuality to demon possession.

Here is a link to the organization that originally (pardon the expression) "outed" them:http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/david-benham-his-own-words-gays-destructive-vile-controlled-demonic-forces

quote:
[QUOTE]If one is tolerant of homosexuality (which is certainly my viewpoint) why does that seem to mean you can not then also be tolerant of Christianity? Or is it only those Christian views that you don't agree with? Or would it be o.k. with you if there were Christians if only they never opened their mouths and stayed in a closet and held secret Church services?

Hatred, intolerance and bigotry are not tenets of the Christian faith. No one is attacking Christianity. But it's a terrible thing to say horrible, and hateful things about people, then hide behind a cross..

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Larilee, you are the one trying to destroy two people for their religion. They never said anything hateful as you keep quoting. You need to bang that drum to get people mad. The people who are now the bully pulpit lie and lie. I have already listed all the people you and your followers have destroyed for their beliefs and all the destroyed people did was announce that they were coming out for their beliefs as all of your followers do and nobody objects.

html

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flboy:
Larilee, you are the one trying to destroy two people for their religion.

Once again,flboy, it's hard to take you seriously with your hyperbole. How have the Benham brothers been destroyed? And despite your fervent proclamations, bigotry and intolerance is not a religion.

quote:
Originally posted by flboy:They never said anything hateful as you keep quoting.

flboy, That statement is so obviously false; it's ludicrous. Their quotes are all over the news. You obviously didn't investigate this. You obviously didn't read the link from Right Wing Watch (you know, the group that blew the lid on the Benhams' bigotry.) You obviously haven't Googled. You are woefully misinformed. I don't know if your ignorance is real or feigned, not that it makes any difference as you refuse to allow facts, logic or reason sway you from your one note diatribe.

quote:
Originally posted by flboy:You need to bang that drum to get people mad.

I'm glad you agree that people should be mad over those remarks.

quote:
Originally posted by flboy: The people who are now the bully pulpit lie and lie.

On that we can agree. However, I see the Benham brothers and their supporters, standing on their soap box and thumping their Bible, behind that pulpit. What's worse is that they claim their hateful rhetoric is somehow reflected of Christianity.

quote:
Originally posted by flboy: I have already listed all the people you and your followers

Wait! Wait! WAIT! I have followers? Does this mean I'm like a leader? How many followers do I have? Do you think they would all donate a dollar to me? Do you think I should go after my tax exempt status?

I'm sorry I interrupted you.

quote:
Originally posted by flboy: I have already listed all the people you and your followers have destroyed for their beliefs and all the destroyed people did was announce that they were coming out for their beliefs as all of your followers do and nobody objects.

posted Hide Post
Since Larilee was unable to directly link us to the Benham brothers saying anything, I went to find them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJx95QYXfiU

This is an interview with Glenn Beck. The brothers sound reasonable and calm. My understanding of their claim of an "agenda" in America is not one fostered by homosexuals but that of a "demon" force against religion.

It is interesting to read the vitriolic posts on this link against these brothers. (by supposedly all inclusive accepting people)

These brothers were born into the world they inhabit. They belong to a fundamentalist religion and of course believe in the devil as well as God. So do all believers in God.

Why do we expect everyone to believe as we do?
Bottom line why be so afraid of these brothers? Or is it really just an chance to bully someone who has been made available by the intersection of HGTV and their lives? I had never heard of them before.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Since Larilee was unable to directly link us to the Benham brothers saying anything, I went to find them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJx95QYXfiU

This is an interview with Glenn Beck. The brothers sound reasonable and calm. My understanding of their claim of an "agenda" in America is not one fostered by homosexuals but that of a "demon" force against religion.

It is interesting to read the vitriolic posts on this link against these brothers. (by supposedly all inclusive accepting people)

These brothers were born into the world they inhabit. They belong to a fundamentalist religion and of course believe in the devil as well as God. So do all believers in God.

Why do we expect everyone to believe as we do?
Bottom line why be so afraid of these brothers? Or is it really just an chance to bully someone who has been made available by the intersection of HGTV and their lives? I had never heard of them before.

About that interview, so being homosexual is not wrong per se, you're just being used by the devil

Lady of Shallot, I'll admit that I was a bit disappointed you did not look at the links from Right Wing Watch. However, it did give me a chance to Google and find out more fascinating things about the Benham family.

http://www.glaad.org/cap/david-benham

I'm sure you know that his father 'Flip' Benham is a fundamentalist preacher. He also heads up an organization called Operation Save America, which his son David has been acknowledged as in a leadership position. OSA is primarily anti-abortion, but they are also anti-gay and anti-Muslim.

From David Benham on fighting marriage equality: "If evil is being accepted and appreciated at the national level, aggressive Christian men must lead the charge against it. In the late 1940′s England realized this truth with Neville Chamberlain’s Policy of Appeasement and the Nazi regime. Chamberlain thought he could somehow “appease” the fuehrer, yet Winston Churchill aggressively stood against this policy and proclaimed that they must kill Hitler and destroy the regime in its entirety. It wasn’t long before Chamberlain’s “politically correct” policy fell flat on its face, and Churchill – the more aggressive man – took the reins and joined America in defeating the beast called, Naziism"

Isn't this just inferring that homosexuality is evil? As evil as Nazism?

In response to a counter protest at a local school, David Benham, as a leader of the OSA stated, "As the morals degrade and degenerate and go down, tolerance stands by and says, 'Hmm, let it happen, as long as I'm OK.' And that's the opposite of Biblical love." The students were holding up signs that proclaimed "Jesus is not a homophobe".

http://m.wsoctv.com/news/news/...nservative-me/nG9LX/

The OSA also disrupted an Episcopalian church service led by the first openly gay Episcopalian Bishop. To the best of my knowledge, none of the Benhams were members of that church, nor are they Episcopal. However, they felt perfectly justified to disrupt the service.

http://www.operationsaveameric...op-visits-charlotte/

Please note, that David Benham feels perfectly comfortable acknowledging himself as a leader of the OSA. In the report on the OSA website, Flip Benham refers to Bishop V. Gene Robinson as being "enslaved in perverted homosexual sodomy.".

Now I may be in the minority, but I think when your group starts bursting into other people's churches because you don't agree with them and disrupting the mass, you have crossed a serious line. I think if your group hands out "wanted" posters and stalks people because you disagree with the law, then you have crossed a serious line. Many people hate abortion, for many reasons; it still doesn't give anyone the right to terrorize the people who work in abortion centers. If you don't like the law, you work to get it changed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...doctor_n_889273.html

posted Hide Post
Since I am not a Bible scholar I may go out on a limb here but isn't a Biblical injunction saying "by the sins of your father ye shall be known?" seems you and others are trying to lay the faults of the father at the feet of the sons. In the you tube video, they clearly say they don'a always agree with their father.

It is interesting what you say about the brothers and their opposition to Bishop Robinson, who I am very familiar with but that pales in comparison to what the Church of England clergy said about the first ordinations of women vicars!

Personally I think there is a great degradation, maybe not in morals but in civil discourse and exchanges. this of course is partly because of the anonymity of the internet but it also is because of a real slackening of what is now acceptable in conversation. I mean just watch a c couple of the housewife shows for instance.

As far as the students sign, how could they know whether or not Jesus was a homophobe anymore than any of us really knows if Jesus ever existed? So if David interrupts a church service I don't think it is anything that the local police could not handle. We have allowed lots of civil disobedience over time. Remember recently when all the parks and wall street were taken over by project (forget the other name of it)

We have big issues here with people protesting (not terrorizing) outside abortion centers. Since those people actually view abortion as murder, would you object to a like demonstration outside any other kind of facility in which children were being abused/murdered? I believe you would think such people heroic.

Such as I'm sure you view people who were abolitionists and freedom fighters in the '60's
They were also "getting in the faces of others"