Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   HGTV Feedback Center
Hop To Forums   Talk to HGTV Community Gal Abby
  How to Decorate with Antique Quilts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to Decorate with Antique Quilts Sign In/Join 
posted
I have 10 or so antique quilts (marginally full bed size) from my grandmother. They are in various condition, from frayed with rotting cloth to practically brand new looking. All are at least 40-50 years old.

Is there any way to use them for decorating without turning my house into 'country decor?' All I can think of is wall hangings but they can make the room feel like a 'padded cell'. Smile

My home's style is eclectic with inherited 'mama's nice' furniture and antiquing finds.

Thanks!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might get more responses if you post in General Decorating as it gets more traffic.

There seems to be 2 school of thought on quilts. There are those that say they should be preserved at all cost. They should never be folded, stored in acid-free materials and kept out of the light. Others feel that they were made a a functional item and should be used.

Guess most people fall in the middle. These quilts are new enough to be made from modern material and you have quite a few. On some of the much-loved (tattered) I would consider throwing them away unless they are unique or have sentimental value. Then I would pick out a couple that you would like to pass down and store them safely.

The first thing that comes to mind is use quilts as quilts. Put them on the bed or fold them on the end of the bed. Paired with modern colors or accessories they will not look country. They can be thrown over the arm of a sofa. Stacked on a shelf to highlight certain colors. Use a large folding type clothes dryer and hang them overlapping for an art display.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Posts: 7210 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post