Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disappointing programming Sign In/Join 
posted
HGTV used to be my home base channel but the programming has become repetitive and stagnant.
Please work up some new shows like you used to have. I've had enough of Property Brothers and the Canadian programming.
Thanks,

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yours is a common complaint here on the message boards. The programming stinks. However, no one at HGTV cares.

Posts: 26 | Registered: May 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So true! I just watch old Charlie Chan movies now. Can't stand HGTV's new offerings.

HGTV doesn't seem to read the comments. It's a shame; they used to have such great programming!

Posts: 610 | Registered: Sep 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could even live with those shows if they'd just show some new ones. And mix them up. Endless reruns of the same show, hour after hour. I think I'll go read a book. Roll Eyes

Posts: 235 | Registered: Jan 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best thing hgtv has going for it now is their magazine! the only problem is it's not a monthly magazine. they have such an opportunity to be amazing like they were in the beginning, but now they are just BORING! I watch it to fall asleep. it would be nice to be heard by hgtv, but they just might be pacifying us with the "message board" thing. something's keeping them on the air - WHO and WHAT - DO TELL?????? MORE DECORATING - LESS REAL ESTATE, PLEASSSSSSEEEEE!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember when I use to have HGTV on all day long in my house.Those days are over. The programming is boring, boring, boring! I am so tired of Love it or List it, House Hunters, Property Brothers, Property Virgins, Income Property, blah, blah, blah. What happened to the decorating shows? Where is Dear Genevieve or Design on a Dime? What happened to the design star's decorating shows? Where is Danielle Colding's Shop This Room? Why is Color Splash on Tuesday mornings? I had no clue until I read about it on this forum? Why is it all about real estate on this channel now? I am so frustrated and it's to the point where I don't enjoy watching the channel anymore. HGTV get it together!! Your viewers are aching for the programming that made us fall in love with you in the first place.

Posts: 1 | Location: Texas | Registered: Sep 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In addition to the programming, scheduling is now a head shaker for me. New versions of the really good shows seem to be on in the daytime, when I can't watch. And since our paper does not show daytime schedules, I have to search through the onscreen guide for new versions.

The most head shaking for me is that today (Saturday) HGTV is showing 8 consecutive new versions of Candice Tells All (one of the best), so I have to record them all to avoid having to watch vapid shows like Cool Pools, Extreme Homes and Hawaii Life. Why are they taking up time in the evening?

It appears HGTV is on the same road as other cable channels, looking for that important young, clueless crowd. I can only assume that they're now looking for a way to show Honey BooBoo.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have become very disappointed as well and am turning it off more often then keeping it on. The very few new programs they have on aren't enough to offset the endless repeats of really good past shows, endless episodes of House Hunters and all its mutations. It's become a waste of time.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wait every week for Saturdays when I can spend the whole day with HGTV. It's really the thing I like most about TV these days. I like the Canadian shows. Without them it would be pretty slim pickins. But, please HGTV discuss it in your board room meetings. We the public miss the other designers. Were they becoming such "stars" you could not afford them any more or what? Give your public some news and relate to US, not them.

Posts: 3 | Location: southeast | Registered: Mar 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I first started watching HGTV in the early 2000s and I loved it. I was watching it at my daughters home since we didn't have it on our plan. I couldn't wait till we got it on our cable plan. I loved HGTV and watched all the time. my favorites were "DESIGN ON A DIME", DESIGN STARS", the one that had three designers competing for the job of redesigning a room, and many others. There was a great variety of shows to watch. Now; however, the shows are so repetitive and all the shows are so similar to each other and real estate related Please go back to your original programming with variety of programs and a variety of types of programs. Stop the repeat programs for five or six episodes of the same program.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree completely.

Apparently HGTV is catering to the supposedly new in thing - binge watching.

Can't do it. Sorry, variety is the spice of watching TV.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree about the programming. There was a decorating show that aired on one of the major networks the other night. Hubby commented that he heard more decorating tips on there then he has on HGTV in years.
Some of us who like to keep up with the trends would find it helpful to know that the "pop of color" trend has been discontinued. Or, that curtains should be hung from the ceiling now?
I know the economy has tanked and there's not as much money to pay designers, but someone out there might do a show just to get their business some exposure?
I'm hopeful Smile

Posts: 16 | Registered: Feb 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post