Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   HGTV Feedback Center
Hop To Forums   Talk to HGTV Community Gal Abby
  Benham Brothers show cancellation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benham Brothers show cancellation Sign In/Join 
posted Hide Post
I agree with this fully.
quote:
Originally posted by nr:
Shame on you narrow minded people. You want us to be tolerant of the gay and lesbian lifestyle, but those same people don't have to be tolerant of Christians who are helping people in need? I am very disappointed in your horrible decision. It's very apparent that you don't care about mainstream ideals, just alternative lifestyles.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I completely agree with this!

quote:
Originally posted by svQuest:
I too am extremely disappointed in what was (please note the 'was') one of our most watched channels. Being in the Real Estate business I often recommended your shows to my firms clients to see what can be done with properties. That will no longer happen.

It's time that corporate America (HGTV) quit allowing the militant extreme minority left wing radical groups such as those of the LGBT community coming after these two AVERAGE Americans control the companies actions.

Our family has several friends who are members of the LGBT community and they are all disappointed in the same actions that corporations such as HGTV takes when these hate groups speak out against people such as the Benham Brothers. They just want to live their lives and even have many of the same values as we do.

I sincerely hope that HGTV will remember that a majority of Americans are Christians and that our Constitution demands a Freedom OF Religion not a freedom FROM Religion. Federal courts are holding that business cannot deny service to people based on their sexual orientation under the Equal Protection Clause, yet hate groups attacking the Breham Brothers want HGTV to cave (as they have) and do exactly what the LGBT community has sued to prevent.

Making decisions about citizens because they are exercising their rights is as Un-American as you can be. IF HGTV should have the brains to correct this civil rights violation as A&E did with the Robertsons, I will be happy to tune in to many hours of HGTV to help drive their ratings and revenue up.

posted Hide Post
Does HGTV mean Homosexual and Gay Tele Vision?

posted Hide Post
How disappointing HGTV was a favorite channel of mine.
But I am really fed up with the discrimination against Christians by a militant minority.
I will not be viewing you channel anymore.I have watched your channel without discrimination of obvious gays on some programing.But I will not tolerate bullying of Christians.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: May 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Their rights to freedom of speech is being violated.

How is their right to freedom of speech being violated? No one said they can't voice their opinion. HGTV just doesn't seem to want that opinion associated with them. The Benham Brothers can say anything they want... just not on HGTV's time or dime.

Posts: 20 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: May 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i guess from now on HGTV should have all hosts fill out a form acknowledging ALL of their beliefs! can't be too careful. wouldn't want to offend anyone!

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does HGTV stand for Homebound Gays TV? I thought this was a home and garden tv show??
I have noticed in the past couple years that many of their shows have gays in it. So if you are supporting the minorities, why not show rapits and murders who want to re-do they jail cells?
We have made the decision to no watch and block HGTV and not buy from any of the advertisers on your show!!! In the end it is only $ you are concerned about so hope you can get buy with the donations from the gay community!!

So much for a "free America"...

posted Hide Post
My wife and I love HGTV but we were saddened and disappointed that you cancelled the Benham Bros show especially before it has aired and, more importantly before receiving or allowing ANY viewer comments before doing so. Tolerance means that you allow varying view points and differences of opinion. By catering and caving to a SMALL minority of viewers, you inadvertently offend and ignore all the others, including us. You need to seriously reconsider this decision and pledge to be more, "tolarant" in the future.

Thank you.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I was a little late in being informed about my favorite T.V. show HGTV and the utter disregard for the other viewers, Christians. To be a bully to any one is still a bully. Gays and homosexuals are supposed to be all about being treated fair but lately the message is agree or else! Shocked that HGTV can not see they should not to do to Christians what gays are always screaming is done to all of them, they are treated unfairly. You are now a bully against Christians.

html

Posts: 2478 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Larillee, I wonder how quick you would say that if a gay performer was in this same predicament?

html

Posts: 2478 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Larilee, You suppose that the Benham brothers voiced an opinion, they did not. All they are guilty of is professing to be God fearing, and helping others. Too bad there aren't more like them. As I posted earlier, HGTV will never count me a a viewer again, and I refuse to buy any product from their advertisers....and will let those advertisers know. If more people would pressure these advertisers, then perhaps the producers of HGTV would recognize the error of their ways. As for the LGBT community, you continually preach tolerance, yet continue to bully others that do not agree with you.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It appears that HGTV does not want Christian persons on their programming. That tells me that Christians are not welcome as viewers either. As a Christian I will be happy to accommodate HGTV by no longer watching.

posted Hide Post
I find it incredible that HGTV cancels a show because of ones personal belief but allows us to be constantly bombarded by the LGBT life style in many of the programs that are presented for viewing. I personally could care less whether the shows' producers or stars are part of the LGBT community or the Catholic Church or the TEA party. I do care about the shows' contents. By refusing to allow a program to air because of ones personal beliefs is an infringement of personal freedoms that we are guaranteed. Shame on HGTV and its management for caving in. HGTV is no longer on my watch list.

posted Hide Post
THANK YOU HGTV for canceling the tv program featuring the Benham Brothers. They were not privately voicing their opinion outside of the Democrats national convention. They were and are anti-gay activists. Privately held opinions are one thing, and people should and are allowed to believe what they will. Publicly voicing that opinion, and calling for political action against a group of people is not a privately held belief or opinion. It is political activism, based on prejudice. A prejudice that should not be tolerated in the design community.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@Candlelight. I suspect you and I disagree regarding many things. Are you politically active regarding your views?? I suspect the answer is YES!! If a Christian has a view you have deemed prejudice then it is irrelevant to you that it is based on a religious belief. However, by that very action/judgement you have invalidated their personal belief. I have chosen in the past to quit watching networks who base their hiring and firing decisions due to the networks prejudice of those individuals personal beliefs. Let me put it in another way - I visited a Wal-Mart at 2am and they made an announcement in Spanish without a translation. The manager justified her decision. I asked her what would happen if everyone who spoke English quit doing business with her store. She became very quiet. If everyone who is a Christian and is tired of this type of treatment boycotted those who punished them for their religious beliefs and quit purchasing products from their sponsored then perhaps we could regain our freedom of speech.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandleLights:
THANK YOU HGTV for canceling the tv program featuring the Benham Brothers. They were not privately voicing their opinion outside of the Democrats national convention. They were and are anti-gay activists. Privately held opinions are one thing, and people should and are allowed to believe what they will. Publicly voicing that opinion, and calling for political action against a group of people is not a privately held belief or opinion. It is political activism, based on prejudice. A prejudice that should not be tolerated in the design community.

So, which is it? Are they, in your esteemed view, "anti-gay activists," or are they "political activists?" I suggest they are neither, they're just GOOD people, doing GOOD things for others. I, too, am Christian, and I, too, believe homosexuality is an abomination, does that make me an activist? If so, then I will proudly call myself an activist......and I will still never watch HGTV again, nor will I buy and product or service from any of HGTV's advertisers.

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Shocking to see some of the reviews that honest, good people believe that it is okay to deny a person his job that was given to him because of his beliefs. I expect that a lot more shows on HGTV will be cancelled as well now, because there are many more show performers who only believe in marriage of two people of the same sex. That belief will be allowed by HGTV? I guess the gay beliefs are all that matter in this new AMERICA!

html

posted Hide Post
No one is being persecuted because of their beliefs, Tom. The Benhams have made public, hateful, intolerant statements about groups of people due to their sexual and religious preferences. This is unacceptable in a business environment.

I would find it hard to believe that your employer would approve of your standing in front of his place of business espousing similar hateful remarks regardless of how "GOOD" you claim to be.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Steak:
No one is being persecuted because of their beliefs, Tom. The Benhams have made public, hateful, intolerant statements about groups of people due to their sexual and religious preferences. This is unacceptable in a business environment.

I would find it hard to believe that your employer would approve of your standing in front of his place of business espousing similar hateful remarks regardless of how "GOOD" you claim to be.

You people keep claiming that the Benham brothers have made hateful and intolerant public statements.......I have yet to see any quotes attributed to them that are hateful and intolerant. If you have...please share the link. But I doubt you can.

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
chucksteak, why would you lie as you did in your post? It is bad enough that the most loved channel has done this to two brothers because they are Christians and that Chuck is all they have done. They believe in the Christian faith. They did not bully any group as has now been done to them by you and others who are uninformed. Why do you feel justified to attack someone because of their faith? I am so disappointed in the posters name that I read here.

html

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
You people keep claiming that the Benham brothers have made hateful and intolerant public statements.......I have yet to see any quotes attributed to them that are hateful and intolerant

Yes, I agree. Where are the examples of this?

I found one quote that David Benham made that is from the Bible. So, if I (as an atheist) quoted a verse from the Bible in public, should I then be banned from employment?

Posts: 12501 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am very disappointed in the cancellation of the Benham brother's show on HGTV for the reasons given. I probably watch HGTV more than any other channel on TV. Now I am forced to reconsider my choice. It is hard to believe we live in America and are being censored in this way.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe in the first amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I believe it applies to every citizen of this country. Since HGTV does not share that belief I will not be watching your network until you make it clear with words and actions that you support freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

Floyd Henderson

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: May 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have watched HGTV for years and when I heard they cancelled The Benham brothers show I was sad. I have watched gay couples redotheir homes, buy homes , etc.on the shows on HGTV even though it is against what I believe as a Christian, but I never sought to have a show cancelled because of it, so why did you cancel this show? So you can have an opinion as long as it agrees with mine!!!! Shame on the gay community. Well Ihave watched since the days of Lynette Jennings and Christpher Lowe, But I will Watch no more.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post