Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   HGTV Feedback Center
Hop To Forums   Talk to HGTV Community Gal Abby
  Benham Brothers show cancellation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benham Brothers show cancellation Sign In/Join 
posted
Very disappointed with HGTV; whether the reason really was the pressure from LGBT or not they have left the impression with many of the loyal fans that they caved to the pressure. Now I am not sure that they have the public nor my best interest at heart. If the brothers have a quality TV show then it should be aired. If it fails then let it fail of its own, many other shows have gone the way of the unwatched and been cancelled. Sad; HGTV you have made a bad management decision. Rethinking things what your network stands for.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think HGTV has shown a distinct lack of character by cancelling a show based on the hosts beliefs. Their beliefs in no way hinder the job that they are doing and their words have been intentionally misconstrued. With all the trash on t.v. I would have thought HGTV would welcome a positive-minded show bent on helping others. True good character is being shown by the brothers by staying true to their commitment to help those 6 families. Way off base here HGTV and I am extremely disappointed.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so tired of these networks choosing what they think should or should not be supported by the viewers. Imagine these young men spending their own time and resources helping families to achieve home ownership in an honest, hard-working way. NO, they prefer we watch people complaining because the house they are looking at only has three bathrooms or is a McMansion without two stoves in the kitchen. How sad.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We support the Benham Brothers for their stand on Christian values.
HGTV executives are Hipocrites!!!!
We will not be watching hgtv

Keith luna

Picture of scmomx4
posted Hide Post
Another knee-jerk reaction by a network afraid of a tiny, militant, loud minority! ALLOWING yourselves to be taken hostage by a radial group (which is exactly what this is) is insane. Where is your sense of logic?

Picture of scmomx4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scmomx4:
Another knee-jerk reaction by a network afraid of a tiny, militant, loud minority! ALLOWING yourselves to be taken hostage by a radical group (which is exactly what this is) is insane. Where is your sense of logic?

posted Hide Post
I am very disappointed with HGTV. Cancelling a show because the hosts are Christians and believe what they profess. If any of your executives/producers knows what a Christian is they sure don't show it. As Christians we are taught to love the sinner, because we are all sinners. But we hate the sin. We don't choose what is sin, that is determined by God through His Word in the Bible. We sometimes have watched your shows trying to force on us a normalcy which we do not accept. Your choice not ours. So, I choose not to watch your programming anymore.

posted Hide Post
I think it's pretty sorry how these network are canceling shows because of people voicing their opinion just like every other person has a right to. The very people who want the freedom to voice their opinion about homosexual lifestyle. Say that the ones that don't agree and voice their opinion can't. That is hypocritical. Their rights to freedom of speech is being violated. This used to be one of my favorite networks. I will no longer support this network . I'm tired of people trying to shut down, just because they don't agree with other people's lifestyle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: belov,

posted Hide Post
I too am extremely disappointed in what was (please note the 'was') one of our most watched channels. Being in the Real Estate business I often recommended your shows to my firms clients to see what can be done with properties. That will no longer happen.

It's time that corporate America (HGTV) quit allowing the militant extreme minority left wing radical groups such as those of the LGBT community coming after these two AVERAGE Americans control the companies actions.

Our family has several friends who are members of the LGBT community and they are all disappointed in the same actions that corporations such as HGTV takes when these hate groups speak out against people such as the Benham Brothers. They just want to live their lives and even have many of the same values as we do.

I sincerely hope that HGTV will remember that a majority of Americans are Christians and that our Constitution demands a Freedom OF Religion not a freedom FROM Religion. Federal courts are holding that business cannot deny service to people based on their sexual orientation under the Equal Protection Clause, yet hate groups attacking the Breham Brothers want HGTV to cave (as they have) and do exactly what the LGBT community has sued to prevent.

Making decisions about citizens because they are exercising their rights is as Un-American as you can be. IF HGTV should have the brains to correct this civil rights violation as A&E did with the Robertsons, I will be happy to tune in to many hours of HGTV to help drive their ratings and revenue up.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree let the merit of the show stand on its own. Who knew I would miss the days when network execs would overlook the bottom line? Be a home a garden show and leave the controversy to Archie Bunker.

Picture of louisvilleone
posted Hide Post
I cannot believe that HGTV has canned the Benham Bros. Christians have just as much right to voice what they believe as the LGBT community. As a Christian, I'm offended by HGTV's decision and will not be watching any longer. What a stupid move by HGTV!

Posts: 124 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Mar 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a problem here HGTV. You are a racist. Yes, you are persecuting the race of Christians. Just because a person holds the traditional longstanding view of relationships between and man and a woman you have cancelled their show. Shame on you!! You need to do the right thing. Yes, you need to be tolerant of everyones views. If I say bestiality is wrong are you going to cancel my show too.

posted Hide Post
I like HGTV because I can watch it and not have ugly commercials that are inappropriate for little children. HGTV is very diverse and has gays and lesbians on their shows, which is fine. Apparently having Christians with their own view points on their channel is too controversial. My personal view is more in-line with the Benham brothers. It would have been nice to have a show like the Benham Brothers, of which I would have tuned into, but when a company bows down to the pressure from a loud minority, it shows their lack of spine. Companies should not care about an individuals point of views, but about how well the individuals preforms or how well they do their job. People that are offended by a hosts personal point of view can always tune out of the show, they don't have to watch them. I do this all the time when a program shows something that I don't agree with. It's easy you turn the tv off or turn to another channel. The Benham brothers are articulate and present themselves well and if they know DIY instruction then they are qualified for the show. Shame on HGTV. This is my first post ever to HGTV and now my last. I don't plan on watching HGTV or the DIY channel as much as I used to and possibly not at all. Going back to the simple DVD/BluRay tv time. My kids Thank You. Your programs are boring to them.

posted Hide Post
I will be turning HGTV off. I guess they did not learn from the A&E/Duck Dynasty fiasco. Stupidity must reign supreme in these board rooms.

posted Hide Post
I love HGTV and it's programs but I am very sad about the Benham Brothers.My values are in line with the Benham Brothers and I find it very sad that because we are Christians the show was canceled.Yet gays and lesbians are fine.Its a sad day in the USA.Why is it only the good folks with good values are always shut out.

Picture of Jan6618
posted Hide Post
We have been big HGTV supporters for several years, perferring their programming to many others. Even when HGTV airs a show we don't appreciate, we take the liberty to change channels. However, your latest decision to cancel the Benham brothers show before it even begins rubs us the wrong way. We believe that they have a lot to share about helping others. Regardless of their religious beliefs, they should be given the opportunity to teach us all ways to "pay it forward." We will no longer be loyal supporters of HGTV.

Posts: 1 | Location: Indiana | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HGTV will no longer be watched in my house. It is funny how Christians are discriminated against continually because of their faith based beliefs. The family and the definition of marriage have been around for thousands of years. I am proud of the Benham brothers for standing up for what is right regardless that it is not politically correct. I hope more Christians stand up against you in support of their faith based beliefs. Good bye HGTV

posted Hide Post
I have always been an avid watcher of HGTV, but I'll no longer be watching after this.

posted Hide Post
Another sample of political correctness run amuck!! Since HGTV has decided ,for me, that this program had no merit other than the host's Christian views, you can also cancel my viewing of any and all HGTV programs and sponsors. In case you haven't noticed, there are a LOT of us who will stand up for right..and support others who also believe in the Bible and freedom of speech. While the LGBT community is entitled to their beliefs, I AM FED UP with them forcing their views on everyone! Why can't HGTV just broadcast the shows without bias, and let them sink or swim on their content, not because they are for or against the LGBT agenda. I am a Christian who believes everyone has a right to believe, or not, the Biblical view of marriage. They also have the right to answer for their actions......but if they don't believe in God or HIS Word.... why are they so threatened by people who do????? I afford others the right to follow their own beliefs, so why can't they afford us the same? How about HGTV just sticking to what they do(broadcasting shows) and leave it to the viewers to decide if the show is good or not. Everyone has an "OFF" button on their TV.

posted Hide Post
This is notification that I will no longer be watching HGTV even though it is one of my favorite channels. The reason is that in the past there was no political agenda or bias toward anyone or any belief. That has now changed because you chose to ban a program based on their religion. I am sure that there are thousands more that feel the same but don't take the time to write you but will also be turning off your channel.

Picture of julopp57
posted Hide Post
Enough is enough. When HGTV would rather follow the whims of an intolerant minority than respect the rights of all of their viewers, I am done with them.

posted Hide Post
I am truly disappointed in the HGTV decision to cancel the Benham Brothers Show, wake up HGTV! I can not continue to watch your network if you are going to cancel a show whose hosts are conservative. If you discriminate based on their beliefs then how does that color our perception of this network , as discrimanatory and biased.

posted Hide Post
As an avid watcher of HGTV, I was extremely disappointed that the tyrannical whims of the LGBT would persuade HGTV to cancel a show due to belief in God. I will no longer watch HGTV, and as an aside, I will contact every company that advertises on HGTV to notify them that I will no longer buy their product.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and i watch HGTV nightly but no longer; your decision to cancel the Benham Brothers is a bad one. People should not be discriminated against based on their religious faith and beliefs.

posted Hide Post
I am also disappointed with HGTV. I was hoping their was at least one channel I could watch that sex politics, religion and tolerance wasn't being thrown at us. We don't watch HGTV for its politics so PLEASE just let us have people just doing the decorating, building, yards etc and let, for a brief time let us not worry about being politically correct. But if its okay to be gay its okay to be straight.If you are an atheist okay, but its okay to be"religious" you can't be "tolerant" of one and not the other. SO HGTV QUIT TRYING TO DO ANYTHING BUT DESIGN AND BUILD AND PLAYING IN THE DIRT!
I to will quit watching HGTV. I am also contacting sponsers to voice my displeasure over the canceling of the show.

posted Hide Post
Have been a long time and faithful viewer of HGTV and have noticed an increased number of shows featuring Gay an lesbian couples. Gallup reports that they make up 3.5% of our population but I feel the # featured on HGTV far exceeds that %. Of course I am aware that some of the hosts and designers are also gay or lesbian but it isn't shoved in my face. Yes, I am a person of faith and I don't accept their lifestyle but I do not try to silence them as is being done against the voices of anyone that expresses their Christian views. This latest fall to pressure of canceling the Benham brothers in an effort to be politically correct is very hypocritical to me.

posted Hide Post
My hubby heard about this on a radio talk show this morning. I am so disgusted in HGTV right not that I even signed up to this message board to express my outrage.

I have been a long time viewer of HGTV for more than 25 years..but no longer. I turned the channel when House Hunters or Design Stars have gays on and I won't even attempt to watch Ellen. That is my God given right. These types of shows are being pushed on to us more and more. I am just thankful "Modern Family" has been cancelled.

I have been silent so far. People have a right to their opinion just as I have a right to mine. but HGTV has gone too far.

Ratings should be the only deciding factor. If people do not like the show they can turn the channel. If enough people turn the channel... then HGTV can cancel the show. Plain and simple.

HGTV took a stand...and now so shall I and others. HGTV took our rights away by granting rights to a minority.

P.S. By HGTV's own standards....I demand you cancel Ellen's DeGeneres Design Challenge because it offends ME!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: striker1,

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with your opinion, HGTV sure is not interested in doing the right thing. They knew about these beliefs before they started and concluded it was fine than but than an article and pressure from who knows who ! Made even sadder by the fact that the article was full of lies. Oh well at least I know not to count on HGTV. National Geographic is starting to get a lot of good shows along with other networks.

posted Hide Post
I have been a loyal HGTV fan for many years, and I am extremely disappointed in their decision to cancel the Benham brothers' show simply because they are truthful about their Christian beliefs. I am very proud of the Benham brothers for speaking out regarding their belief in Jesus and the teachings of the Bible. HGTV is missing an important opportunity to show tolerance to EVERYONE, and to provide a family friendly show with the purpose of helping others in need. HGTV, please rethink your decision.

posted Hide Post
It seems that anyone who disagrees with the pro-gay rights community, even in private, is unwelcome to participate in our society. Good going, tolerant people! Great diversity you support, so long as everyone agrees with you! I hate to break it to you but the majority of the country does not want to punish people for different views, especially when those views 1) are privately held, 2) do not result in discriminatory behavior. On the contrary, it seems the ones being discriminated against are those who hold a different viewpoint: WOW. Our founding fathers must be rolling in their graves... I will no longer be watching HGTV, not because I hate gays, but because I think you are bullying people into silence and that is WRONG.

Picture of NutsnHoney
posted Hide Post
And yet one more instance of the loud, vocal minority gets their way and the Benham Brothers won't get a show. An opinion is only OK if it mirrors the gay agenda? THAT is hateful and intolerant. People who are gay have every right to say as they please and so do other people.

Is this still America? Do we still have First Amendment rights of Freedom of Speech? HGTV may believe that everyone who decorates is gay, but that is not true. I'm fed up with the knee-jerk of political correctness. I will no longer be watching - at all.

Frances Rayburn

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NutsnHoney
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jo Smith:
Have been a long time and faithful viewer of HGTV and have noticed an increased number of shows featuring Gay an lesbian couples. Gallup reports that they make up 3.5% of our population but I feel the # featured on HGTV far exceeds that %. Of course I am aware that some of the hosts and designers are also gay or lesbian but it isn't shoved in my face. Yes, I am a person of faith and I don't accept their lifestyle but I do not try to silence them as is being done against the voices of anyone that expresses their Christian views. This latest fall to pressure of canceling the Benham brothers in an effort to be politically correct is very hypocritical to me.

Absolutely excellent point. The loud, vocal minority is catered to, while the majority can hang it on their nose. I am offended at HGTV!! I am sick of the whiny babies demanding everyone see everything their way - to the exclusion of the largest majority of people. I joined this forum simply to post how disgusted I am at the ridiculous pandering of the vocal minority. HGTV, I am truly done with you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NutsnHoney,

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come on A&E, pick up the show!!!

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
HGTV please read these stats:
As of 6:00 pm on May 9th.

In 1 1/2 days...since your announcement of cancelling the Benham Brothers show, there have been:

# Posts: About 1250 and counting
Replies: 37 replies to comments
Newly Registered: 99% of replies
First Posts: 99.9%
Tweets: 5..count one more after I'm done here..I will also adding it to FB and others

HGTV has been notorious for turning a deaf ear to the complaints of viewers and board participants. They frequently yank memberships of dissenters, so be forewarned.

Let's let the Benham brothers speak for themselves. http://www.glennbeck.com/2014/...id-and-jason-benham/ I'm sure it will surprise all of us to learn that the media got several things wrong. The video will explain who they are.

The thought police have struck again.

1. HGTV bows to bullies.

2. HGTV is not fond of dissenters, so don't be surprised if you find your board membership pulled if you criticize the network or the board. Just sayin'...

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am horrified with HGTV!! You have been pushing gays and lesbians in our faces for so many years, and we haven't complained. But now, because the Benham Brothers don't fall into your "politically correct" category, you cancel them. Their views are those of any TRUE follower of Jesus. His book tells us what is acceptable and true, and you feel it is not necessary to please those of us who follow it. We will no longer be watching HGTV in our home, I intend to cancel my subscription to your magazine, and will no longer support any of your sponsors!!!! If they were Muslims, would you do the same thing?

posted Hide Post
Originally posted by striker1: (something got messed up when I tried to Reply) Humm..so I was determined to repost.

HGTV please read these stats:

At about 6:00 pm on May 9th. The numbers keep increasing

In 1 1/2 days...since your announcement of cancelling the Benham Brothers show, there have been:

# Posts: About 1275 and counting
Replies: 42 replies to comments
Newly Registered: 99% of replies as of 5/8/2014
First Posts: 99.9%
Tweets: 5..count one more after I'm done here..I will also adding it to FB and others

Makes me wonder why you haven't added other social networks to your lineup...but only Twitter which happens to be the most Liberal.

Anyway: Most of the comments here are from Christians, first time posters, long time followers and people who are haven't yet been vocal about their beliefs.. preciously the reason why you probably are getting away with this injustice!

HGTV ..you stirred the pot...even more. Buy your bias decision to cancel a FAMILY ORIENTATED SHOW and oust so many of your long time adjudicators...you have woken our morels even further.

To this I want to Thank HGTV.

People, I am:
1)A Lifelong Christian.
2)Lifelong viewer of HGTV
3)First time poster to blogs
4)Angered & Dismayed regarding HGTV's decision
5)Believe in Equal Rights for ALL
6)Been silent until now.
7)A majority that has not yet been heard

HGTV:
1)Get the message
2)Let the ratings determine the outcome
3)You are Discriminating
4)HGTV WAS family orientated
5)No politics involved here
6)In the name of Jesus we trust
7)Reverse your decision

Up to you now HGTV...do the right thing...uphold the constitution and reverse your decision to make a stand for what is right!

Let the ratings determine the outcome..You may actually be surprised on just how many silent, moral, christian adversaries there are backing you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: striker1,

posted Hide Post
Shame on you narrow minded people. You want us to be tolerant of the gay and lesbian lifestyle, but those same people don't have to be tolerant of Christians who are helping people in need? I am very disappointed in your horrible decision. It's very apparent that you don't care about mainstream ideals, just alternative lifestyles.

Posts: 1 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am deeply saddened by your choice to cancel the show because they are Christians. Your channel is going downhill. I remember when you first began HGTV and it is not what it used to be. It was classy...it is not now. I hope your 3% watches your channel and the other 97% does not! I won't be watching, and I will not renew my magazine.

posted Hide Post
We support the Benham Brothers for their stand on Christian values.
HGTV executives are Hipocrites!!!!

We have been LONG TERM watchers of almost everything HGTV in fact even changed from DISH to DIRECTV because they offered HGTV and DISH did not!

NO MORE.. . We will not be watching a single program on HGTV until you reverse this prejudicial decision!

posted Hide Post
How can anyone argue opinion? Canceling the show only puts hgtv in a very bad light. I will not be watching the show any longer. Shame on you hgtv. You are tolerant to only a select few, not the majority.

posted Hide Post
I have been watching HGTV since I could get it on satellite - many years. I have no anti-gayagenda. I've watched your shows with gay hosts, gay couples buying houses and having their homes renovated. I am, however, getting sick of the gay agenda which seeks to stifle everyone's opinion but their own. I was looking forward to watching the Benham brothers show. But since you have caved to the gay communities anti Christian agenda, I will no longer be watching anything on HGTV.

posted Hide Post
I started watching HGTV 20 years ago, and it makes me very sad to leave. It will be very much missed. Equating faith with hate is just so wrong. The persecution of Christians in America has begun. So sad.

posted Hide Post
Very Disapointed in HGTV I spent a lifetime defending the right to Free Speach for All! Let the merits of the show desiderata it's future not a group of Bully's trying to selince those that do not agree. My wife and I will no longer be viewers or supporters of your sponsors.

posted Hide Post
I'm dumbfounded and shocked to learn that HGTV has cancelled a potentially inspiring and uplifting new program just because it is offended by the personal Christian views of the show's hosts. It is disappointing and disgusting HGTV! I will miss watching Love it or List it, Property Brothers, House Hunters and House Hunters International, to name a few, but until you reverse this decision, I won't watch your programming.

posted Hide Post
We have been viewing hgtv programs and have enjoyed them,but your cancelling the Benham brothers show because of their Christian views is shocking and we will not be watching any of the programs and will not continue our magazine subscription.

posted Hide Post
I am sickened by HGTV's choice to cancel the Benham Brothers show. I am, or was. a faithful viewer of HGTV, watching this station almost every day. I have enjoyed watching many of your programs for years. However, because of your decision to cancel a show based on the pressure from a group who disagrees with the personal beliefs of the show's stars, I will no longer support your programs. You all have allowed yourselves to be bullied by a radical left wing group which has no tolerance for anyone who doesn't believe like them, yet, expects everyone to tolerate their belief's even if it would go against their personal and spiritual convictions. I feel you have made a big mistake and would hope you will reverse your decision soon.

posted Hide Post
I am glad to see so many people responding this apostrophe.

This thread is now hidden on the HGTV message board, but social media has picked up this nonsense to where people are still able to express their views..

Sham on you

posted Hide Post
NO MORE hgtv for my family...political correctness is suicide to our freedom. I turn shows off when I don't like them...that is freedom. Good bye hgtv

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why is tolerance applicable to everyone except traditional Christians? This is actually hypocrisy. HGTV is showing intolerance. The brothers are showing character, HGTV is not. How sad that HGTV has stooped to this level. It shows me that agenda is ahead of content and that I cannot trust HGTV in the future.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So disappointed in HGTV!!! This has long been my favorite channel, but no longer. Your treatment of the Beckham brothers is inexcusable. Their personal faith and beliefs are none of your business. How sad that you bowed to the pressure of a small vocal minority. You have other hosts who have personal values and beliefs that I do not like or agree with, but I have still watched because they do their job well. Their personal lives and beliefs are not my business, just as the Beckham's personal beliefs are not your business or that of the GLBT minority. If you are so afraid of this radical group that you bow to their pressure, you are not worthy of watching. So sad to say goodbye, but I must.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post