Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

why many are no longer a fan Sign In/Join 
posted
A large part of the potential audience will be saying they are no longer fans as they dont see themselves in any of the HGTV shows. I am a baby boomer semi retired and there isnt a single show which is geared towards my specific age group or older. Complaints about the lack of the garden aspect of HGTV are right on. Before Florida became the home of the hip and the young in South beach it was the [place people went to retire. You should have a show that looks not just at the way out hip young but everyday people who are in Florida retiring and who are in their 60s and even older. People in their 60s and 70s dont just fizzle up and go senile. I demand equal time with the spoiled brat youngsters who complain about the slightest thing out of place. You may have to do things differently to capture this 60 plus audience who isnt so plugged into technology and the computer.

Posts: 1 | Location: new york | Registered: Jun 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I TOTALLY AGREE.
Who wants to watch MILLION DOLLAR HOMES, SELLING LA, NY, SPELLING MANOR, DINA'S PARTY, DONNA DECORATES DALLAS??? Anyone with ****$ is not sitting home watching HGTV.
Give me the ORIGINAL HGTV with regular folks with "affordable homes" ,that lacked TLC & HGTV was there to show you how to do it.
House Hunters has become a show for SPOILED 20 SOMETHING BRATS "buying there 1st homes" with their hard earned **$??? NOT.
We need more Curb Appeal The Block, Sabrina Soto, Clive & Lisa. The hosts that made HGTV.
Get with it HGTV we regular folks are loyal fans you are not going to get loyalty from the "NEW GENERATION"!!!!!!!!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that HGTV is off track with the younger set, too. Not all those in the younger demographic are interested in reality type real estate and crashing shows. A lot of them are first time home buyers and renters on a tight budget who would love helpful and creative ideas. They're a smart, creative group who are hands on and would appreciate shows on decorating, crafting and gardening. And keep in mind, too, that the old programming would seem new to them, since they were babies and small children when those types of shows were on in the 80's and 90's. And for those of us at the other end of the demographic it would be a breath of fresh air to be able to view the inspiring shows of yesterday...

Posts: 25 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I am the daughter of a baby boomer and I do notice that most of the shows revolve around young families so I agree.

In my area, I have noticed that there are a lot of new developments of attached smaller homes and homes being built with "inlaw apartments" that are more like two homes, attached with a common family gathering area. I believe it is as much about having family close by as it is financially motivated because of the current market conditions. It would be cool to do a series where families, younger generations and older ones come together to design and build their dream family home (with separate spaces). It would also be cool to do a whole series on downsizing.

Posts: 4 | Location: Maine | Registered: Jul 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with all that has been said. Today is July 4 and all day all I can watch is spoiled rotten 20's and 30's complaining about spending anywhere from $250,000 to over $1 million and having to "renovate." Seriously? There are hundreds of thousands of people who would practically give their lives for one roof and four walls. I used to love HGTV because I could watch craft and quilting shows as well as programs that gave people ideas for remaking a room for less than $1,000 and learning to make do with what they currently have. Even DYI is all about major makeovers, nothing for the common people. I honestly cannot imagine that any of these people showcased on the current shows even watch TV. I have turned the channel to watch reruns of game shows. I am not sure I want to return to this network again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: earthshine1962,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of denisesdelights
posted Hide Post
I believe there are several reasons why the shows are losing fans. The number one reason is I no longer think that HGTV knows its audience.

Secondly, I feel that viewers are tired of young couples who want to spend $250.000 or more and seem to want it all. Most people cannot afford a house in this price range so it seems as if we are watching the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

Thirdly, some of your hosts are just so intrusive on screen that they detract from the show itself. Specifically Egypt Sharrod. Her clothing is over the top and very distracting and the fact that she doesn't speak proper English just drives me insane.

Lastly, after reviewing the availablee Be on HGTV it seems that the average person doesn't have a chance. I live in a small town in Kentucky and obviously have no chance of getting any kind of renovation.

deniselehr

Posts: 1 | Location: Taylorsville KY | Registered: May 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two words: DESIGN SHOWS. Sick of everything ON HGTV, which used to be my favorite channel. No interior design or staging shows, except for VERY tired (yawn) re-runs. I too am retired, but LOVE to decorate. please hgtv? pretty please?

Posts: 16 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an interior designer with almost 30 years of experience I can tell you that people over the age of 55 traditionally (not always)spend less on interior decorating. Empty nesters have usually amassed enough art and accessories or have even given away enough things to be less interested in spending money on more.

Any TV station has to market to their advertisers, so the programming will be geared to those people Sherwin Williams, Lowe's/Home Depot, Home Goods, ect. see as potential customers.

In most areas of the country gardening is seasonal and does not have a consistent purchasing market, so programs devoted to gardening are more diffcult to sell advertising for.

Commercials are expensive to make,and air time is costly too, so they need a sustainable audience which is more typically (again, not always) home buyers between 30-45.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charles D,

Posts: 1789 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I decided to come on the site to see if I was the only one tired of all the real estate type shows on hgtv. THERE ARE! I remember a time when I couldn't get enough of hgtv. now I have to hope to see something interesting; something like decorating on a budget, small spaces, designer tip type shows, make overs, more curb appeal, etc. during primetime. I did notice some of the shows I like to watch are on during the 8 to 5 work hours. I agree, the average person watching hgtv cannot afford what they are selling. WILL WE BE HEARD? I HOPE TO DECORATING WE WILL Smile! PLEASE HEARD OUR HUMBLE CRY!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree more with these posters who say HGTV has lost it's audience! Did top management change? If I see oe more ad for renovation raiders I think I'll throw up. However it is at least a decorating show. What's happened to all the design stars? David b seems to be the only one still in favor with programming and his show are all reruns lately. Plz HGTV go back to your original mission statement!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Renovarion Raiders, I specifically decided to join this forum to make a comment. I have always liked I Amy Matthews and her shows.... but Renovarion Raiders is ridiculous... Why do a mock-up renovation and why try to do the actual renovation in a few hours.... So stupid. How about just send the couple away for a weekend to come back to the surprise.... and skip the silly "spy" stuff. Anyone agree?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree about Renovation Raiders, but I guess they keep trying new things to see how it goes. Remember a few years ago when they brought in Marc Barnett (I think that's his name) to produce Design Star? They tried to make it like other reality shows with nasty exchages. I still don't like Vern because of the way he spoke to one of the contestants when they were eliminated. I'm sure he was told what to say, but I'll never forget. It was just horrible that year. Thank goodness it was only one season. I just think they need more creative minds coming up with show ideas because lately it isn't working. I don't watch the way I used to any more.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Aug 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Inspired Dreamer
posted Hide Post
I have read the comments and I would have to agree for the most part. It might be interesting to see how the other 1% lives, once in awhile, but it seems that the majority of the people that have an interest in HGTV are wanting to get inspired about THEIR homes and gardens, not envy someone elses. It seems like alot of the shows on TV in general are about "reality"; however it is not any reality that I care to ever, ever live. Please remember who your customer base is and provide them with the inspirational shows that brought us to HGTV many, many years ago. Thank you.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
As an interior designer with almost 30 years of experience I can tell you that people over the age of 55 traditionally (not always)spend less on interior decorating. Empty nesters have usually amassed enough art and accessories or have even given away enough things to be less interested in spending money on more.
I guess I'm the exception. I'm in my sixties and I continue to update my house. Just bught all new bedroom furniture and a new breakfast room light. I expect to continue to make improvements as long as I live. In fact, I spend more money on decorating than my six figure income daughter, and my taste is contemporary rather than the traditional she prefers. Why can't they just show good design shows that appeal to anyone of any age like Christoper Lowell and Lynette Jennings used to do?
Any TV station has to market to their advertisers, so the programming will be geared to those people Sherwin Williams, Lowe's/Home Depot, Home Goods, ect. see as potential customers.

In most areas of the country gardening is seasonal and does not have a consistent purchasing market, so programs devoted to gardening are more diffcult to sell advertising for.

Commercials are expensive to make,and air time is costly too, so they need a sustainable audience which is more typically (again, not always) home buyers between 30-45.

Posts: 1055 | Registered: Nov 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When did HGTV start drifting from decorating shows to real estate shows for the wealthy? Your shows now are "poor" acting (Love It or List It) to "poor" blots (Renovation Raiders). It is like watching a boring soap opera with a little bit of paint and furniture thrown in. Bring back the good old days when you could tune in anytime or any day and find a good show with decorating ideas. Please listen to a fan of many, many years.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I so agree with the comments here. Bring back decorating shows, PLEASE! High Low Project, Design on a Dime, Vern Yip, David Bromstad, Tania Nyak. I can't stand another love it or list it, house hunters, etc.

You are losing your audience.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mander
posted Hide Post
I, too, am retired, not interested in purchasing a new home and would love more of the old shows. (Design on a Dime, ideas for decorating small spaces, etc.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am now exactly 17 minutes into the big HGTV Smart Home "Reveal" special.

It's truly one for the "gettaloadadis" file many of of our wistful design fans have set up here on these boards.

There was a rushed montage of glimpses of the house at the intro by Monica, and then a lame segment, still going on, of the production team hiring a Private Investigator to set up a "mole" to surprise the winner (oh, the suspense...despite announcing the name of the winner 20 seconds into the segment...)

Design? Technology? Hello? (the only technology shown so far was Ms. Lieu having a video conference with the production team on a monitor that made her teeth look blue and her hair green)...

More derivative reality show--maybe we'll see a bit of the house in the last 10 minutes...Right now they're hurriedly getting balloons for the big, Publisher Clearing House-style surprise.

Just sad, HGTV...

Posts: 81 | Location: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post