Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love it or List it Sign In/Join 
Picture of Lee Mari
posted
Why does it always seem that when Hillary does a home there is always some catastrophe that takes her remodeling budget

Posts: 1 | Location: Fort Wayne Indian | Registered: Dec 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
It is all part of the formula of the show. She also never gets an increase in her budget, but David rarely sticks to their budget.

Most of the time the money the couple gives Hilary is too small to do everything they want. Add in knob and tube wiring or major structural issues and the budget is toast.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6856 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I have noticed that Property Brothers has been running into catastrophes, though not as big an issue as Hillary's. The network must have found the formula works for them, also.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mriley,

Posts: 1454 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LIOLI isn't about renovation or house-hunting...like all "reality" shows, it's about drama. Hillary is the drama queen - I suspect David is just a "queen". Yes, he's a snarky jerk and often goes over budget (sometimes to give the couple a reality check on what they can get for what they can afford). And yes, he usually takes a few showings to zero-in on what they want. But he usually delivers.

Hillary, on the other hand, is a whiny shrewish b*tch. Yes, the budget she's given often isn't enough to cover what the couple wants. But she goes ahead and promises it anyway. Then she runs into "knob and tube wiring or major structural issues", most of which would have been obvious on even a cursory inspection. Yes, she's a designer, not a contractor. But, if she has any experience at all, she should have some idea of what to look for. And she works with a contractor who better know what to look for. When David goes over budget, the clients can just say no to the house he's showing. But they're stuck when Hillary does because she's already torn their house apart. Course, it's never her fault...always the clients, the contractors, the suppliers, etc. Sorry, Hillary, but "the buck stops here."

Like I said, DRAMA!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CHuDWah,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They do this because producers don't know how to do anything unless is fits a formula. It's scripted and this show ***.

Posts: 29 | Location: NC | Registered: Jun 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hoagie61
posted Hide Post
I don't care if this is the formula for the show, I just can't watch it anymore it is so fake. They might as well hire actors. The bantering between Hillary and David is so predictable, then one spouse always wants to move and one wants to stay, then as always, Hillary can't give them everything they want and the couple argues about it outside. It is so fake! I love the whole concept of the show! It would be great if it were real and they just let things happen naturally. But, the way it is I had to quit watching. I had hoped Love It or List It Too would be different, but unfortunately it is the same.
Boooo!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree I wish for once Hilary could actually complete the list. I can say all their lines time to switch it up I'm not sure how much more I can watch!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post