Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Abby, We need HGTV's help! Sign In/Join 
posted
I am writing because we desperately need help your help, and HGTV has not responded to my previous requests. My husband and I bought a custom home in Mobile, Alabama that was featured on HGTV in 2007 on "What You Get for the Money" for $500,000. The house was in foreclosure, but one of the reasons we felt confident in buying the house was that it had been featured on HGTV, of which we are avid fans. We considered HGTV a reputable source that would only feature quality custom builders. We also talked to the home builder and got a home inspection.

However, much to our surprise, we found out that the home has major structural problems, to the point of being UNSAFE. Estimates for repairs have ranged from $60,000 to $100,000, and we simply cannot afford to fix it. I tried seeing if someone - anyone - at HGTV would be willing to help fix the problem, but I couldn't get anyone to even respond to me.

Due to the stress related to the home, I resigned my new position and we have moved to another state. My husband is chronically ill, cannot work, and recently lost his disability income. We are trying to sell the house in Alabama, but we have been unable to due to the structural problems. We have twice the expenses and a third of our normal income right now, and are in danger of losing the home to foreclosure due to this problem. Please, we are in our mid to early thirties, and these problems have put our lives on hold. We can't afford to start a family or focus on my husband's health because we are having to live off of my limited income and savings until we can get rid of this house. Our friends keep telling us that we need to get Mike Holmes to help us! I know that "Holmes on Homes" is based in Canada, but I am sure there has to be someone at HGTV willing to help us!!

Thank you, Pam

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Pam,
Abby doesn't live here anymore and you are unlikely to get an answer from HGTV here. I'd suggest using the contact HGTV link found on the bottom of the page, but really you may want to engage a lawyer to see what your options are. I'm not a lawyer and have no idea if HGTV would be liable for your home's issues. Since it was built in 2007 major structural problems should be covered by the warranty, they would in NC, not sure about Alabama. Structural issues are covered for 10 years in NC your state could be different.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6867 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post