Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benham Brothers Sign In/Join 
posted
Add my voice to the cacophony of others outraged by the reasons behind the cancellation of the Benham Bros new show. As a Christian, I would never ask a network to cancel a show because of the beliefs of its stars, regardless of how different those beliefs were from mine. I don't think that I have a right to NOT be offended. I think that perspective is called tolerance...something the radical left regularly accuses Christians of having none of. Amazing how that tolerance does not seem to apply to anyone who does not agree with the agenda of the tolerant.

Shouldn't we all be able to watch the HG shows we like without demanding the firing of the hosts of the shows we don't? Evidently not. If HGTV cannot tolerate a Christian TV host, then it probably cannot tolerate this Christian viewer. I'm sad to say that I've cancelled some of my favorite TV shows from my DVR. House Hunters, House Hunters International, Selling New York, Selling LA, Rev Runs Renovation, House Hunters on Vacation, and a few others. As much as I love the HG network (easily my favorite), I will not return until this mess has been cleared up and HGTV apologizes for such a myopic decision.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't understand your definition of "tolerance". I'm supposed to "tolerate" someone's very vocal opinion that equates homosexuality with Nazism and demonic possession? Are the Benhams being tolerant?

Oh, I get it now. Neither you nor the Benhams need to be tolerant. It's everyone else who needs to tolerate you.

Posts: 20 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: May 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LariLee, That was LAME!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CliffH,

posted Hide Post
You can be tolerant and still vocalize your opinions. The expression of one's belief is not the same thing as intolerance. Intolerance would be demanding the livelihood, or business, or someone you disagreed with for having a different opinion or perspective.

Tolerance is NOT agreeing with someone...its accepting that they have different beliefs. By that definition, the Benham Bros have demonstrated tolerance. HGTV and the individuals demanding the removal of their show have not.

posted Hide Post
Totally agree with Flex. I'm not watching or buying HGTV products. Unfortunately, HGTV's decisions are something I can't support, so my money goes elsewhere.

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been disappointed in HGTV programing for sometime. Kept hoping it would get better. This action of excluding the Benham brothers because of their beliefs is the last straw. I am calling tomorrow to have HGTV removed from my channels. If this cannot be replaced by another channel then I will simply not watch it. I am sickened that our rights and freedoms are being taken away in every aspect of our lives. Before anyone feels offended, I have friends who are gay. This to me is not about someone's sexuality. It is the attack on our personal beliefs.

Posts: 23 | Location: Lakeland, FL, USA | Registered: Jul 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CliffH:
LariLee, That was LAME!

If you thought my statement was wrong, you would've pointed out why. The fact that you wrote a one sentence put-down instead, tells me that my argument has merit.

Posts: 20 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: May 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flex:
You can be tolerant and still vocalize your opinions. The expression of one's belief is not the same thing as intolerance. Intolerance would be demanding the livelihood, or business, or someone you disagreed with for having a different opinion or perspective.

Tolerance is NOT agreeing with someone...its accepting that they have different beliefs. By that definition, the Benham Bros have demonstrated tolerance. HGTV and the individuals demanding the removal of their show have not.

I was right. You have no clue what tolerance means.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tolerance

willingness to ACCEPT feelings, habits, or beliefs that are different from your own

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Tolerance?s=t

a FAIR, OBJECTIVE, and PERMISSIVE ATTITUDE toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.

http://dictionary.cambridge.or...erance_1?q=tolerance

willingness to ACCEPT behavior and beliefs that are different from your own, even if you disagree with or disapprove of them:

I can gather more definitions if required. You can not be tolerant and still call someone a demon possessed Nazi. You cannot disrupt a church service just because the bishop presiding is gay.

HGTV is a business. They have given no reason as to why they pulled the plug on Flip it Forward. Personally, I thought the premise was interesting: two handsome twin brothers helping people buy a fixer upper and get a better house than they could afford. Of course, we already have that. It's called "Property Brothers" and it is in its third season. But Drew and Jonathan are cuter.

posted Hide Post
This is a typical response. Don't bother to get all the facts. The brothers father Phillip "Flip" Benham is an extremist and his ministry proposes a lot of crazy ideas. Everyone just wants to jump on the anti-gay bandwagon, but it's about more than that. These men are toxic.

Posts: 1781 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HGTV has been a favorite, but am so disgusted by the cancellation of the Benham Brothers. How unfortunate that Christian values are not supported by this network. It's amazing that "tolerance" seems to have a different meaning for HGTV; only "certain tolerance". Will not be watching much on this channel.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Yesterday there were two pages of comments and today there is one. Removal of all comments would be more honest. I know that what I posted was not gumpy worthy of removal. Just more dishonesty.

html

Posts: 2485 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
This is a typical response. Don't bother to get all the facts. The brothers father Phillip "Flip" Benham is an extremist and his ministry proposes a lot of crazy ideas. Everyone just wants to jump on the anti-gay bandwagon, but it's about more than that. These men are toxic.

Don't you think that the Benhams are just a slightly upper class version of Westboro Baptist Church? :-)

I noticed a couple of things about the message boards.

1. Most dissenters consider the cancellation to be an attack on "Christian values." They seem to think that all Christians hate homosexuals as much as they do.

2. The Benhams ripped off the entire concept of their show. Two handsome twin brothers helping a couple by a fixer-upper to renovate so they can have the house of their dreams for an affordable price. That is the exact same concept of Property Brothers.

3. Have you noticed that several of the dissenters use the exact same phrasology? It's almost as if they were given a script or one person has a whole lot of names. I wonder if the moderators can actually see IP addresses. It would be interesting to find out how many actual people are protesting. :-)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flboy:
Yesterday there were two pages of comments and today there is one. Removal of all comments would be more honest. I know that what I posted was not gumpy worthy of removal. Just more dishonesty.

There are several posts with the name "Benham Brothers." You might want to check your history to make sure you're in the right post.

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Larilee, you need to check out your own facts before you call names such as Westboro Baptists and aim that charge at the Benham brothers. I don't care what any posters here follow as their religion, that is what this is about. You may understand better if you are fired from your job because you attacked people on to HGTV posts and had no information that the charge you leveled was true or false. Charles, you are in that same class now. Disturbing that you two bullies think that you could ever be right when you accuse and bully a religious group or two people because they have Christian beliefs.

html

Posts: 2485 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have stopped viewing all HGTV programming and cancelled my DVR recordings of HGTV shows.

I tolerated the various networks' promoting gay characters and hiring every sort of outspoken anti-traditional values actor and producer for years, yet when someone that stands for faith produces a quality show, I find it's a one-way street.

The quality and content of the show is what matters, not the political and moral stand of its cast and producers.

Stand up, HG. Represent us all, or lose your viewers.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Intolerant, hateful comments made public about certain groups in our society can not be accepted by business. Much as the NBA has taken steps to remove Donald Sterling from the league due to his hateful comments about African-Americans, Scripps has cancelled its plans to employ the Benham brothers due to their ignorant, hateful remarks regarding Muslims and homosexuals.

To falsely link such despicable comments to Christianity does a terrible disservice to good Christians everywhere. Love thy neighbor!

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Chuck, to take your time to repeat a false statement over and over, to try to make a injustice okay in your bully mindset is also the new way to be in with the main stream. Hitler also managed to do that and all the little minded people followed and killed. The Middle East kills women and children every day because they can also. Is this the place you want to stand? THE BROTHERS NEVER SPOKE HATRED TOWARDS HOMOSEXUALS, and you know it!

html

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Steak:
Intolerant, hateful comments made public about certain groups in our society can not be accepted by business. Much as the NBA has taken steps to remove Donald Sterling from the league due to his hateful comments about African-Americans, Scripps has cancelled its plans to employ the Benham brothers due to their ignorant, hateful remarks regarding Muslims and homosexuals.

To falsely link such despicable comments to Christianity does a terrible disservice to good Christians everywhere. Love thy neighbor!

Let's not forget Paula Deen who lost her franchise when it came that she used a racial slur a decade earlier. Duck Dynasty were pinged by A&E for interracial and homophobic remarks. Though A&E quickly relented, the television show lost 40% of the viewers who don't seem to be coming back. Also, their franchise is not getting the renewals of product endorsements, and new endorsements don't seem to be coming. People just don't like hatred.

I know a lot of good Christian people. Some are even homosexual. Jesus did not preach hatred and intolerance.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flboy:
Chuck, to take your time to repeat a false statement over and over, to try to make a injustice okay in your bully mindset is also the new way to be in with the main stream. Hitler also managed to do that and all the little minded people followed and killed. The Middle East kills women and children every day because they can also. Is this the place you want to stand? THE BROTHERS NEVER SPOKE HATRED TOWARDS HOMOSEXUALS, and you know it!

Once again, you are projecting your feelings on others. The fact that you compare anyone who disagrees with your hatred of homosexuality to a Nazi is a classic Benham Brothers' tactic. It makes me wonder if your board name is short for "Flip Boy".

The Benhams have a history of comparing homosexuality to Nazism, claiming that homosexuals are "destroying America," and comparing homosexuality to demon possession.

Here is a link that I'm sure you will ignore. You seem to be a person who refuses to let logic, facts or reason sway you in your argument.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/...olled-demonic-forces

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Jason Benham, 761 Harris Street, Concord, said I have a 6-month old daughter and a 2 ½ year old little boy and when I stood out there in Marshall Park and heard the comedian say I am an out lesbian, I love 4-year old girls and I call them "dykes on triks, they are hard to come by but, boy are they good." http://www.rightwingwatch.org/...-controlled-demonic-
forces#sthash.kPVtzgTm.dpuf

Larilee are you more comfortable with this quote which I saw in clicking on the link you posted.

Posts: 12577 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
Jason Benham, 761 Harris Street, Concord, said I have a 6-month old daughter and a 2 ½ year old little boy and when I stood out there in Marshall Park and heard the comedian say I am an out lesbian, I love 4-year old girls and I call them "dykes on triks, they are hard to come by but, boy are they good." http://www.rightwingwatch.org/...-controlled-demonic-
forces#sthash.kPVtzgTm.dpuf

Larilee are you more comfortable with this quote which I saw in clicking on the link you posted.

Those are the exact kinds of lies that the Benham Brothers like to spread. They hope to instill fear and loathing in simpleminded people by their apocryphal tales. Ironically, as they love to say homosexuals are Nazis, it is a tactic used by Joseph Goebbels in Nazi Germany to vilify the Jews.

They can try to say that Christianity is under attack by the evil homosexuals or is that their freedom of speech is under fire. Neither is true. Not all Christians are intolerant. And freedom of speech does not rule out consequence of that speech. They can hide their hatred behind a Bible or a flag, but it doesn't change the fact it's all about and only about hatred.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LariLee,

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Larilee, did the two Benham brothers hurt you or cause you to be fired? They did not destroy any person of any other religion or of sexual preference, did they? What in the world are you trying or want done to these two men? What is enough? Hang them in the town square? Stone them? Tar and feather them? How about you just take their living and their good name, is that enough for you. May G-- forgive you and the Benham brothers.

html

posted Hide Post
quote:
Those are the exact kinds of lies that the Benham Brothers like to spread.

They are referring to a comedian at a specific event. It would seem there is a video tape of that event.

Interesting that now I see the page is "not found"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]

They are referring to a comedian at a specific event. It would seem there is a video tape of that event.

I would have to see the videotape before I'd believe it. I tend to discount apocryphal stories. If any of the Benhams told me it was raining, I would look out the window.

quote:
[QUOTE]
Interesting that now I see the page is "not found"

For some reason, when you reposted the link, it became broken. Go back to the original link and it will take you straight to that page. No conspiracy here.

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Larilee, What are you trying to do to these two men? Do you hate just to hate? Is this your main reason to live, destroy without reason? My talking about Hitler was to try to make you and people like you, understand that people who hate cause what happened in Germany.

html

posted Hide Post
quote:
The Benhams have a history of comparing homosexuality to Nazism, claiming that homosexuals are "destroying America," and comparing homosexuality to demon possession.

Well so far this is only an apocryphal story to me. Where is an example of this?

Larilee,Its interesting that you think only the "simpleminded" will believe anything the Benham brothers say, where you demand proof signed sealed and delivered, but you expect the readers of this forum to accept every wild claim you make.

Wouldn't a thoughtful person weigh both sides of an argument?

posted Hide Post
Those were a lot of hoops to jump through just to join the message board to let HGTV I have watched your network for the last time. You are bigots. You are Christianphobes. You allow 3% of the population of the nation to control what the other 97% can see, hear, do, think, speak, etc. Tolerance? You possess none. You are bigots, hypocrites and I can find other things to watch. Perhaps A & E's "Duck Dynasty" since they quickly discovered what their true demographic is. Think it's the gay community for you? Doubtful since, as stated above, 3% of the population. Your demographic is soccer moms. They may not be politically active but I guarantee the majority won't appreciate this and WILL stop watching. You need to practice the tolerance you so hypocritically preach.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lucinae,

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I am SOOOOO tired of anti-Christian Bigots getting away with this kind of treatment of people of faith because you have a few Left Wing Extremist Nut Jobs with an agenda complaining that they must hear something they disagree with, while demanding the silence of those they disagree with. That is called HYPOCRACY ! ! !

It is time that those of faith begin the fight back against Christian Bigotry as has been displayed by HGTV. I am joining with you and blocking your channel from our televisions and I encourage all others of faith to join in and spread the word on HGTV and all others who display the same intolerance.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Well so far this is only an apocryphal story to me. Where is an example of this?

September 2012, David Benham at a prayer rally/protest in Charlotte, North Carolina: "We will always finger point but we don’t realize that OK if 87% of Americans are Christians and yet we have abortion on demand; we have no-fault divorce; we have ****ography and perversion; we have a homosexuality and its agenda that is attacking the nation; we have adultery; we have all of the things; we even have allowed demonic ideologies to take our universities and our public school systems while the church sits silent and just builds big churches." - See more at: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/...sthash.CO92ayAu.dpuf

quote:
[QUOTE]Larilee,Its interesting that you think only the "simpleminded" will believe anything the Benham brothers say, where you demand proof signed sealed and delivered, but you expect the readers of this forum to accept every wild claim you make./QUOTE]

Are you seriously trying to deny that Benham brothers made anti-gay statements in the past? Seriously? What exactly do you think the controversy is then?

They claim that a homosexual comedian made fun of them and made salacious remarks about babies on tricycles. You pulled that quote and tossed it back to me.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lady of shallot:
[QUOTE]They are referring to a comedian at a specific event. It would seem there is a video tape of that event.

I think it's proven that the Benham brothers have made anti-gay statements. I've furnished links back to their statements. I asked to see a copy of something you say seems to exist. It's pretty obvious that it does not exist or you're the one not willing - or able - to furnish any proof to back up your statement.

quote:
[QUOTE]Wouldn't a thoughtful person weigh both sides of an argument?

I believe that a lot of people did. Which is why HGTV dropped the Benham brothers..

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LariLee:
I guess I don't understand your definition of "tolerance". I'm supposed to "tolerate" someone's very vocal opinion that equates homosexuality with Nazism and demonic possession? Are the Benhams being tolerant?

Oh, I get it now. Neither you nor the Benhams need to be tolerant. It's everyone else who needs to tolerate you.

Tolerance is not the correct word, The issue is freedom of speech. When people can lose their livelihood for their religious of political views, we are in big trouble. I do NOT agree with anything these people say but they have every right to say and think it. I don't believe any of this nonsense would have been mentioned on the TV show.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with Flex. A large percentage of HGTV'S viewership are Christians and they would do well to apologize to the Benham Brothers and put their show on the air.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just want to say I am also appalled and am going to stop watching HGTV.
This makes me sad because I have spent many happy hours watching your shows, Intl Househunters, Extreme Homes, Designing for the Sexes, Design Star...

A couple of analogies--

Gays try to draw an parallel between racism and opposing gay marriage.
For people who believe the Bible, this is not like opposing racial desegregation. This is like opposing abortion. (Most black people agree).

This is a "blacklist" --denying jobs in the entertainment industry to people whose politics are unpopular.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tomtul2,

Posts: 1 | Location: LA, CA | Registered: May 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have watched HGTV for many years and enjoy many of the programs. We have never considered the fact that we may not agree with their personal beliefs, maybe we should have! What a sad time we live in where a rich, vocal minority are able to control what shows are seen. If a show has something on it I don't like, I have an "off" switch but that doesn't work for the left who not only can't turn it off, but have to delete the program. HGTV executives obviously have no backbone or objectivity. We will not be watching HGTV and will spread the word to friends.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: May 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just spent an enjoyable hour watching the Benham Brothers do an amazing job working diligently with and for to delightful women and their daughter. I am a Christian and see those 2 young men "put their arms around" ALL of their clients. This is what the Jesus I serve would do. From now on I (as well as my large circle of friends and family) will not be tuning into HGTV. I also like your HGTV magazine....oh well, I'll save that money to help pay for bottled water for the less fortunate here in the catastrophically rain starved north Texas plains.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been an avid fan of your channel for many years. It brought me alot of enjoyment. I am sorry to tell you that since your cancelling of Benham Brothers I have no longer turned your channel on. You will never have me as a viewer again. We live in a free country (well it was at one time) and we should have our freedom of speech. We have lost that and the only way to express it now is to tune you out. I did the same thing with the Food Network when they dumped on Paula Dean. Please reconsider your decision and let America be America!

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post