Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

repair help Sign In/Join 
posted
I am a disabled senior and live in a mobile home. My question is I have noticed many low income disabled/seniors who live in very old substandard mobile homes and they cannot afford to make repairs and their home is to old to qualify for repair assistance. But this has been their home for 40 yrs and they don't want to leave it. I am ok and my home is newer but others here and I am sure in other places need help. I have seen you do shows helping rebuild homes and fix up homes for those in need but never see anything for mobile homes. Many people these days live in mobile homes and repairing or remodeling them is different then in a standard home. Can you think about doing something for them. Seniors are the forgotten generation and many could use your help.. PLEASE!!!

Posts: 4 | Location: Rialto, Calif. | Registered: Jun 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Judy,
Sorry to say this but HGTV isn't going to come to your rescue. They don't monitor the boards and I've never seen a program where they go in and repair a mobile home or other worthy project because it doesn't help sell products their advertisers want to sell.

I think your best options would be local organizations like "Rebuilding Together" a.k.a. Christmas in April. http://rebuildingtogether.org/ or local church groups or civic organizations that may take on these types of projects with volunteer help. Habitat for Humanity focuses on building new homes so I doubt they'd be much help.

Good luck.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

I am not an employee of HGTV, nor is anyone else that posts here.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6979 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks but I have tried all those other programs they will not help mobile homes older then 1985. These people have older mobile homes. But the products they use in standard homes can be used in mobile homes also so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.. A lot of people who watch HGTV live in mobile homes.. Thanks anyway.

Posts: 4 | Location: Rialto, Calif. | Registered: Jun 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
I've done volunteer work with a group called Appalachian Service Project in Jonesville VA. They have branches in TN, VA, WV and KY, but it would be a stretch to include California in their territory. ASP does a lot of work on mobile homes on private lots, there aren't a lot of mobile home communities in the mountains of VA. My last trip I worked on one that was probably 40 years old but you couldn't see much of the trailer underneath all the changes that were made to it.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6979 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. but you are right they don't do anything in Cali. I have spent years looking for help for seniors living in mobile homes. I do not need the help myself it is for other low income seniors. That's why I came here to ask HGTV for help because I know I will have to get help for them from someone who has the ability to do the work for nothing out of the goodness of their heart. I was hoping HGTV might do that but I guess not. Thanks

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
I would make a pitch to a church men's group and see if you could get something started. I did work with Christmas in April over 20 years ago. I don't know their criteria for picking projects. I know the projects we worked on were city row homes in Washington DC owned by two elderly sisters and a single family house in VA owned by a single mom.

HGTV shows generally don't wander far from home base due to the expense of bringing the production crew to a far away location.

General Disclaimer

posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your help.. I will check with them.