Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The programming is awful Sign In/Join 
posted
What happened to HGTV? I use to LOVE watching this channel. A lot of good information on home decorating, using colors, DIY projects and gardening. Now it is just endless episodes of House Hunters, Love it or list it (which I loathe) and Property brothers. It seems this network is more about buying and selling houses as opposed to decorating them. I give up. This network is boring and offers nothing. I don't watch it anymore and I am not going to renew my subscription to the magazine.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree! All that's on during the day is House Hunters and House Hunters International. I used to leave HGTV on all day while I went about what I had to do and watched it as I cooked, cleaned, etc. It was awesome! They used to have so many GREAT programs on - Design on a Dime, the High/Low Project and others - but now I'm sick of boring HH & HH International! Blech! What gives? I am so bored with this awful programming! The sad but good news - I guess - is that if I decide to fast TV for Lent, I won't have any problem giving up TV since HGTV was my mainstay...but not any more.

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: Oct 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with you.

Posts: 304 | Registered: Jun 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also agree. I especially miss the Christmas specials on the day after Thanksgiving.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Dec 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen!!

Posts: 304 | Registered: Jun 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree too! But with all the posts here and endless comments on other blogs - Is anything being done?

Posts: 1 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Nov 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. Hours on end with the same old stuff. I dislike the "marathon" style of programming.

Posts: 7 | Location: USA | Registered: Nov 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if HGTV even looks at our posts?!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer K:
I agree too! But with all the posts here and endless comments on other blogs - Is anything being done?

Posts: 7 | Location: USA | Registered: Nov 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totally agree with the comments but wonder if anyone at HGTV is even reading these posts. I understand that some people like Love it or List it but it seems to be the only thing on. I do have the choice to change the channel as others have said and that is exactly what I do but that really isn't the point. The point is that I too miss the more design/decorating shows of the past. I would like to see more of that to have a mix between the renovation shows that seem to dominate now and the true design shows led by established, successful designers.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed! Is t**** anyone at HGTV reading these posts?

Posts: 3 | Location: Georgia | Registered: Jan 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
NO!!!!! Did anyone here think otherwise?

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I have gone to HGTV Facebook and a number of posters there have the same complaints and suggestions. I would hope that someone is reading the messages.

Posts: 1496 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mriley:
I have gone to HGTV Facebook and a number of posters there have the same complaints and suggestions. I would hope that someone is reading the messages.

In another thread I saw a link in which they stated that HGTV had actually gained in their viewership. and that it was geared to persons not above 49. Is still doesn't make any sense to me, because even the younger viewers cannot really like seeing 5 nights a week the same programming over and over again.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My thoughts exactly! I so enjoyed decorating my house for Christmas when this show was on! Evidently Bravo is not listening, however, same old, same old stuff on network. Its like they are a real estate firm instead of a "home and garden" channel!
quote:
Originally posted by jockobec:
Also agree. I especially miss the Christmas specials on the day after Thanksgiving.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so glad to know that other people feel the same way that I do! My TV use to stay on HGTV and now I rarely watch it, because everything is about buying and selling homes. It should be called the "Real Estate" channel. I miss the shows that use to show you how to decorate on a budget, the Christmas specials and the gardening shows. I wish they would come up with some new shows based on the old ideas of decorating on a budget and stop with all the real estate shows!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, there are very few design shows on now. What happen to all the Design Star winners? Is HGTV listening to the viewers?

Posts: 5 | Location: Center, Texas, USA | Registered: Aug 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Right in this message board, under a thread called Viewers Services Dpt. is a thread that shows you how to contact HGTV directly and post your opinions. I already have.

posted Hide Post
I totally agree. My friends and I were just talking about it. We always watched HGTV which I'm sure the sponsors loved but if I see one more Love it or list it which has to be the worst show on TV since every show is the same or House Hunters, anyway you get the point.
What happened to Candace, David and the other decorator shows. Also the gardening shows. UGGG.

Posts: 1 | Location: To voice my opinion | Registered: Jan 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awful awful awful programming. I get a lot more out of reading design blogs, most authored by "regular" people with great ideas, who generously share their how-tos with anyone interested for free. Did the Internet Kill The Design Show? I better contact mtv and work on a music video...oh wait, those died too. :-)

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since HGTV loves to do reruns and marathons, how about pulling out some really old shows like Designers' Challenge and ReDesign with Kenneth Brown. Those were my two favorites. Could there be any chance of redoing those shows and bringing them back?

Posts: 7 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post