Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   HGTV Feedback Center
Hop To Forums   Talk to HGTV Community Gal Abby
  Benham Bros - HGTV displays religious discrimination
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benham Bros - HGTV displays religious discrimination Sign In/Join 
posted
I am appalled by this action of HGTV and find it no less discriminatory than if they had cancelled a show because of race, gender or political affiliation. These brothers did not express any animosity or derogatory behavior toward homosexuals, but are being cancelled simply because their religious beliefs are not in line with those of the producers. It's the producers that are exhibiting a discriminatory behavior, not the Benham Bros. One person may not agree with or care for the actions of another in a political party or other such group, but that does not mean they automatically hate and despise all members of that group. So why is it that a person who finds the actions of another individual immoral is automatically assumed to hate that individual? It is not a cause and effect relationship and does not directly follow as such. There are many people I know whose conduct I find reprehensible. I do not hate these people, on the contrary, I continue to have a relationship with them because it is precisely through relationship that people can better understand our differences and find that common ground. If HGTV continues such discriminatory practices I will cease watching their shows.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DIY-DAD:
I am appalled by this action of HGTV and find it no less discriminatory than if they had cancelled a show because of race, gender or political affiliation. These brothers did not express any animosity or derogatory behavior toward homosexuals, but are being cancelled simply because their religious beliefs are not in line with those of the producers. It's the producers that are exhibiting a discriminatory behavior, not the Benham Bros. One person may not agree with or care for the actions of another in a political party or other such group, but that does not mean they automatically hate and despise all members of that group. So why is it that a person who finds the actions of another individual immoral is automatically assumed to hate that individual? It is not a cause and effect relationship and does not directly follow as such. There are many people I know whose conduct I find reprehensible. I do not hate these people, on the contrary, I continue to have a relationship with them because it is precisely through relationship that people can better understand our differences and find that common ground. If HGTV continues such discriminatory practices I will cease watching their shows.

HGTV is considering having new employment applications and contractual agreements. Prominent questions they will be adding:

1. Are you now or have you ever been a Bible-believing Christian?
2. Are you now or have you ever been a proponent of traditional marriage?
3. Are you now or have you ever been anti-choice?

This way, they can weed out the "undesirables" a lot quicker and avoid a PR debacle like they're presently enduring.

Of course, this is satire to make a point. I have no idea what HGTV is doing behind the scenes to avoid being in a contractual relationship with such odious folks as the Benham brothers. HGTV's brand is forever tainted for the fascism they have decided to practice. It will be interesting to see what steps they take to repair their reputation.

1. HGTV bows to bullies.

2. HGTV is not fond of dissenters, so don't be surprised if you find your board membership pulled if you criticize the network or the board. Just sayin'...

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I love HGTV but we were saddened and disappointed that you cancelled the Benham Bros show especially before it has aired and, more importantly before receiving or allowing ANY viewer comments before doing so. Tolerance means that you allow varying view points and differences of opinion. By catering and caving to a SMALL minority of viewers, you inadvertently offend and ignore all the others, including us. You need to seriously reconsider this decision and pledge to be more, "tolarant" in the future.

Thank you.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU HGTV for canceling the tv program featuring the Benham Brothers. They were not "privately" voicing their opinion outside of the Democrats convention. They were and are anti-gay activists.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I believe that there are posters here that are still pushing their own agenda against Christians. Shame on any bully posting here to continue this wrong firing because someone is a Christian. This poster knows very well that what they are continuing here is to push home the point that all Christians will be punished if they continue to speak any Christian belief any place in America. Christians are being punished all over the world. America has become like all third world countries, bullied!

html

Posts: 2522 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Candlellight, WHY? WHY? WHY?

html

Posts: 2522 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not tolerated to be offensive to pretty much every group known to man including criminals, because they have rights too. In a world that is more and more tolerant of everything, it's interesting to see that people with christian morals are now the target. We must be doing something right. Funny how one man starts a movement about two thousand years ago with love as its foundation and it's now the biggest and the longest running thing in the world. Funny how now one of the only things still fashionable to bash is christian values in a country founded to be a refuge
For all. HGTV , you should be ashamed, I'm pretty sure you are. I know the new Idol ( $ ) is much more important than following the one betrayed by a kiss. I have discontinued my subscription to your web site and my wife and my daughter and her family will abstain from anything to do with HGTV. and will make sure that all those I come in contact with know my opinion and how a belief that was good to found the greatest country know to man, ever, is being is systematically atacked. Shame on you.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
eddieg, RIGHT ON!

html

posted Hide Post
Why are so many, mostly new, posters equating Christianity with intolerant hateful behavior by the people whose show was cancelled? Refusing to allow spokespersons for the network to be identified as hateful and intolerant through their own words has absolutely nothing to do with their religious affiliation.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Chuck steak, you are on a mission of destruction. To take down two Christians that you have never met and KNOW NOTHING ABOUT! Where did you get your disgusting information? The group attacking and firing these two brothers are you and homosexual groups that have caused many other firings of Christians because, THEY ARE CHRISTIANS! Take your hatred and head to Iran where there is also killing of Christians with so called reason!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flboy,

html