Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   HGTV Feedback Center
Hop To Forums   Talk to HGTV Community Gal Abby
  Offended by Million Dollar Rooms
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Offended by Million Dollar Rooms Sign In/Join 
posted
With the economic situation of millions of Americans, I think this show is inappropriate and offending!! How dare you flaunt the overly extravagant lifestyle of the few who can afford it while millions of us can barely pay the bills! This program follows the recent trend of showing us what we can't afford! What happened to programing that appealed to viewers?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, since I don't personally know of anyone with a million dollar room, it's fun to peek into other's lives. I recogonize the world isn't equal but I'm not going to get upset or uptight about such a show.

Posts: 3117 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with mamaspoon, getting personally offended by another's financial success or personal spending is misplaced anger.

Is it offensive for weekend athletes to watch the pros showing off their superior skills?

The key to our own success is wise use of our time and contentment with our own lives.

Posts: 2463 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I agree that life is unfair and that we should be content with what we have rather than screaming at people who happen to have more - I, too, find this show vulgar. It is just TOOOO much. We all like to see how the other half lives, even those of us who are truly content with "normal" lives, but this is akin (IMO) to showing starving people others sitting at a banquet table stuffing themselves. Those starving people probably realize that there are many who have enough to eat, but to rub their noses in the fact that even the crumbs from the leftovers would feed them and their family is just nuts.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should add I don't like the show, the rooms are ugly, but am I offended, no, more like bored. I only watched it once, that was enough.

I don't believe life is unfair. What is fair for one is not for another. I guess this is getting off topic...

Posts: 2463 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Think of all the craftsman that are employed by these renovations.

If you want to be offended watch some of the fare over at TLC, Toddlers and Tiaras, Extreme Couponing, and Mama's Boys of the Bronx, now those are offensive. Sadly that channel jumped the shark and is rarely viewed in my house. Of course a lot of HGTV's schedule never graces our TV either.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6942 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
The only thing that offends me is the utter lack of taste.

Posts: 5286 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of debicga
posted Hide Post
My problem with these types of shows isn't the money spent by those that have worked hard for their money...it is that for the most part there is nothing in those shows that I will take away to use for myself. Needless to say I will never be able to afford any of those spaces but if I thought that there would be anything I could find useful to adapt to my budget I might watch....but alas I will never have a bathroom the size of TX or so many cars that I need an elevator to store themSmile

*Debi*

~*Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence*~

Posts: 4916 | Location: Marietta,GA | Registered: Apr 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not "offended" by these shows, they are just crap to me. As the original poster said, with the economic state the way it is now, it's like a slap in the face to show these ostentatious rooms. The same goes for Selling New York, Selling Los Angeles, I'm sure I've missed a couple of shows. I definitely do not want to see an apt. in New York for 10 million dollars with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. Same goes for the Los Angeles. Also the show with the realtors who sell million dollar homes, Million Dollar Listings. I like to see a project that I possibly could do, or a show that gives me ideas.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find a show like this distasteful as well. I just came back from a trip to Baltimore, and people are sleeping on the sidewalks there. You can debate whether spending a million dollars on a ROOM when people don't even have a roof over their head is right or wrong, but for HGTV to flaunt it is only going to serve to fuel people's growing anger and hopelessness over the wealth disparity in this country. I work and I own a home and I find this show at this time to be a bad call by someone at HGTV. I doubt it will be around very long.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree these shows are tacky at the least and I am surprised Carter is hosting. I thought he was all for green and conservation. The worst though is the one about the Spelling monstrosity, gag! These certainly prove that money may buy things but it can't buy taste. The commercials were all I needed to see to know these shows were not for me.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: May 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted HGTV to know that I found this show offensive. I watched part of one show & was so disgusted. I agree with the comment that I read - it is like eating in front of those that are starving. I am blown away that someone could spend over $300,000 on cabinetry or $100,000 on fancy wall coverings. It seems there is no realization of the world around those who spend so much on themselves - the kicker was the man who said he spends like a king because he is a king or something to that affect...who does that when there are children wading through garbage heaps because they have nothing? My heart breaks seeing that kind of money going into something that will serve few. I will never watch the show again and abhor the fact that this is considered entertaining. It is informative in the worst way - the realization of the incredible selfishness that exist. BLECH!!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of My dog
posted Hide Post
I'm not offended because there are always people that have more or less than others.

I agree with the others who say that it's not worth watching because there's nothing that I personally would be able to do.

On the rare occasion I see "Million Dollar Rooms" I think of it more like watching a freak show.

Sparky...you are so right about TLC...now THAT'S offensive.

~Jean~ in garden zone 6b

Posts: 5663 | Location: WV... no jokes please, I've heard them all, trust me. | Registered: Oct 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ntuitive1
posted Hide Post
I'm not offended by this show, but I agree with the OP that a recession is a crappy time to flaunt obscene riches on TV. Perhaps TPTB think people will watch shows like this as a fantasy escape from the much harder and simpler reality that most of us live, but I think that's misplaced on most people these days. I think most of us are at the very least finding the show to be off-putting and vulgar just by virtue of sheer over-the-top wasting of money.

Doodles, I agree with your analogy about the starving people. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Posts: 2145 | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that it is not the best choice to air shows which are based on extravagant spending by rich folks. I have no problem with someone who earned some bucks being able to buy things with it, but featuring it on shows to flaunt it is not appealing. Reminds me of when a local firm did mass layoffs, and one of the senior partners drove to work in a new $100,000 plus car the same day.

You guys may not enjoy the Posh Pets show coming this month, which features rich people spending big dough on their animoles.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not find this show offensive, it is simply an extreme lifestyle. anyone has the right to spend their money which ever way they choose. Of course it would be great for the wealthy to contribute in a positive and productive way to help the economy,communities and humanity. why do people expect the well-off to take care of everyone else? the economy is the way it is for many other reasons, which is a different topic. I do not have and maybe will never nor would ever indulge in those luxuries but the reality is, this show is about showing an extreme lifestyle, if people have poor taste or not, its irrelevant this is just another of those shows that cause reactions. I sense a bit of jealousy in reading a lot of comments that seem to be covered up with righteousness but you never know, there might be sincerity in it. So lets take from the rich because there is more to take! Is this how it is should be? its in all peoples nature to self indulge, this is just an example of what people do when they have the means to do it. its just a TV show that is chosen to be watched. good for the people on the show who can afford all the luxuries and I wish and hope they would contribute to better life for everyone who needs it since they economically are able to do so.

regular

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ELizard65
posted Hide Post
How about a show where a filthy rich person considers building a million dollar room, but instead uses that money to help. I wonder how many starving kids could be fed with a million dollars, or how many houses could be built for homeless families? Etc, etc, etc.

Posts: 12 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife had the show on, the episode about the Ferrari dealer and his collection, etc. After it,I felt a little sick, like I had eaten too much ice cream. I had a spectacular house once and it is great to have a place to entertain. You can raise a lot for charity by holding events. Yet, it always bothered me that the five figure checks I signed to keep it all going every month could support a family for a year. It seems there is a moral imbalance in it all. Anyway, much happier in our 2400 sf house now, the kids like it better because we actually "see" each other. They didn't like communicating by intercom! The show reminds me of how much richer we are now and perhaps that poverty of some kind can even exist in mansions.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JemBoy30
posted Hide Post
I'm offended as well. As far as I'm concerned, these people flaunt their money on TV because they are self-centered and think everything should be about them. What better way than to go on national television? That's why I also hate those housewives shows. These millionare shows are all trash.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post