Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love it or List it Sign In/Join 
posted Hide Post
A little parody for anyone who might appreciate it. All in good fun.

PDF DocDigItOrDitchIt.pdf (117 Kb, 14 downloads) pdf file

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! Hilarious, and only a little sad because it's true.

Posts: 1738 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why are the hosts exasperated and annoyed throughout the show with each other and their guests? I like the concept of the show but each time I give it another chance I find myself turning it off.It's very uncomfortable to watch.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bostonviewer,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was watching Love It or List it tonight and couldn't believe my ears when Fergus was telling Hillary that installing a newel post and railing was going to be a major expense. He obviously has never heard of installing a key lock in the floor to attach a newel post to it. It is quite simple and inexpensive and does not require going through the floor to the ceiling below like he said in the show. I am convinced now that he is not a very good contractor. I have been questioning all along some of the remodeling solutions comes up with and if they are required to the extent that he insists they be done. Now I know my instincts are right on the money.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of diy_lili
posted Hide Post
Please, please, PLEASE take this show off the air. Hilary's work, David(?)'s personality and the nasty homeowners are not fun to watch. I am a huge HGTV fan, but I'm hardly watching at all now, because it seems like either Love It or List It or Property Brothers is playing ALL the time. I can't take it any more! I signed up for these message boards just to express how sick of this show I am. It's not one of those "love to hate it" shows... I just hate it. Please make it go away - or at least stop playing it every frickin' night!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 31, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello all, I do not know what stores are in Canada, but maybe Hillary could stick to the budget's given to her if she stops shopping at all the designer stores she usually goes too. One show the couple was at the limit of their budget than they show the contractor putting up crown moulding ?? I'm sure the room would have looked as good
Minus the expense of that moulding. Do they not have Home Depot or similar stores
In Canada ? Hillary is always buying "the best" materials than something comes up unexpected and oops, sorry a kitchen make over is Theron thing you wanted done, nope not in the budget!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ionosphere
posted Hide Post
Why do they always use blue wood on the shows. The builder of my home told me, when I asked him why he didn't use it in my new house, that it costs twice as much. So if their budget is so limited, why do they use this expensive blue wood?

The truth is out there

Posts: 7 | Location: United States | Registered: Oct 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ionosphere:
Why do they always use blue wood on the shows. The builder of my home told me, when I asked him why he didn't use it in my new house, that it costs twice as much. So if their budget is so limited, why do they use this expensive blue wood?

Bluwood is treated to protect against moisture and Formosan termites. Here is a blurb about it from http://www.ecob.net/index.php?p=products&id=110 I see it being used on a number of the Canadian produced shows, it might be code required in parts of Canada. Just because regular wood is cheaper doesn't mean I'm going to build my deck out of regular wood when pressure treated is available. With respect to the budget I suspect that it is all part of the show format that Hillary is given a pretty unrealistic budget to meet the owners must haves.

ECO BLUE SHIELD™
PROTECTED LUMBER
Another Level of Protection

For our clients who do not require the Fire Inhibitor, Eco Blue Shield™ Protected Lumber is protected against moisture, mold, wood-rot and wood-ingesting insects, including Formosan termites. Our proprietary technology is eco-friendly and a cost-effective way to protect the 'bones' of your home for life.

As we know, the lumber we use today is different than just 25-30 years ago. Today's lumber is juvenile or new-growth lumber and is more susceptible to the natural enemies of wood such as water, mold, fire and insects. This is because this juvenile lumber is more porous and essentially acts like a sponge - absorbing moisture and then subsequently producing mold and/or wood rot which then in turn attract termites. It's a natural, destructive and unhealthy cycle that attacks untreated lumber and is responsible for potentially billions of dollars in damage of home repair. Logs are frequently stored underwater - sometimes for more than a year, so even though the lumber looks fine during construction, there are no guarantees what goes on inside your walls once you seal it shut with drywall. At Eco, our goal is to change the way we build with lumber by embracing our sustainable technology.

Sustainable & Eco-Friendly

Long term, our protected lumber will reduce the demand for timber because lumber built dwellings will last longer and will not require the same amount of maintenance or repair due to mold and termite damage. More importantly, Eco Blue Shield™ Protected Lumber provides a healthy and mold-free environment for the people that live there. Eco Blue Shield™ Protected Lumber emits virtually no VOCs while being protected in the most innovative way. To learn more about Eco Blue Shield™ protection, go to the Products and Technical Specs pages, or contact one of our sales associates.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6870 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They receive promotional consideration in exchange for using certain products or materials.

WRT the overall budget, I believe projects to be completed are predetermined; ever notice (with 1 notable exception over the entire life of the series) that they only demo the rooms/spaces ultimately completed?

Posts: 415 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this the best you can do? I'm so sick of this show and it seems to take up a good part of HGTV time lately. I hate all the bickering - it's so annoying and uncomfortable.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On almost every show David goes way over budget, but Hillary never gets another penny. David should have to deliver on the budget he is given as Hillary has to. I think that is so unfair.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kjb032291:
I just joined the message boards on HGTV's website for the sole purpose of talking about Love It or List It. I noticed that everyone else who has commented on this show seems to feel pretty much the same as I do about it. I've watched several episodes now and if HGTV is listening to the people who watch this show then it probably won't be back. Part of me thinks this is unfortunate. I don't think it's a bad idea, but for some reason they think we want to see people being rude, obnoxious, and unyielding. Maybe the producers think that a simple remodel or buy process won't be interesting enough without a fighting, difficult, whiny couple treating the professionals like crap. Who talks to their realtor or contractor like that? As usual they underestimate their audience, because I don't think I'm alone when I say that the show would be a lot better if they allowed the couples on the show to behave with a little dignity. I thought they just made a really bad choice in people when I watched the first show, but when I saw that virtually every couple on the show acted the same way I have to believe that they were coached to be awful. Note to producers: you could save this show if you would just encourage the couples to behave like adults and make the remodel/home search the point of the show. At this point, you're losing viewers.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am also fed up with the negative process that seems to go on and on and on with this show. Especially with Hilary. She never fully completes what she is supposed to do. Why is that! Has she never heard of the word "contingent" and keep some money in case of problems. I doubt I have seen one show where she has successfully completed all her tasks on the "do list. And the negative drama they constantly bring up with the reno process is tedious!
I have to say that I used to like this show, but about half way thru, I just can't bear it anymore, and now I rarely see the end result which is the payoff. This show needs some retuning and some reno work!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, am fed-up with LOVE IT OR LIST IT. Surely one night on HGTV can occur without having to view it. Besides the Canadian housing market is different from the American. Why is this show hogging the network.

Keep PROPERTY BROTHERS!! It does come to America.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ionosphere
posted Hide Post
Are all the houses in Toronto? The prices are absurb!

The truth is out there

Posts: 7 | Location: United States | Registered: Oct 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the remodel projects are a scam. Yes you could spend the budgets on the amount of work done if you are ignorant and naive and let contractors rip you off. I think half of the money is being either overspent or pocketed. On one project their was a structural problem that was shown to the designer, and she told them it was going to cost $2000 for a beam, and they just said "ooook". The designer just tells the homeowners about an unexpected problem and says "it's going to be veeeeeeerry expensive...and I can't do blah blah blah blah." Ok HOW MUCH is EACH PROJECT???? Sorry but I know they are probably spending double what a GOOD contractor could have done. If I'm wrong then they need a better designer/contractor. I would love a contractors opinion.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By the way I love the show and don't think the homeowners are to rude. They should be concerned about their money because they never get everything done. Out of the 4 shows I've seen, they have listed every time. Seems like the designer could care less. Who would care if they pocket $10,000 plus the money from the show, plus the realtor gets commission. Seems to me the whole show is banking off of the homeowners. Wow I'm accusing big time....but I'm probably right.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this show is so freaking ridiculous. I hate the fact that HDTV is putting the show on probably 45 hours a week it is most worthless show ever.if Hillary was my contractor I fire her after the first episode. This woman has no clue as to how to stick to a budget I watched one show and I saw her put a $4,000 toilet in a bathroom who in their right mind needs to put a $4,000 toilet in a rehab what she has a budget of $50,000 that is almost 10 percent of one budget. If she had kept it to a simple toilet say around a hundred and twenty five dollars she would have had the extra $3500 to do what the homeowners wanted. I see now that they have fired Hilary and David, the two most obnoxious people in real estate today. Get rid of the show or make it more realistic somebody comes in with a $50,000 budget cut corners and do what they want to do what they need wanted

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this show really ***** I can't believe the HGTV has enough Watchers to keep the show on. Maybe it's because they get rid of all the good shows and they get this show so cheap the day limit all the other good shows. Maybe I should just go to another station like DIY Network that has some more substantive shows than this stupid one

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hillary is NOT a hack. I can only assume she doesn't budget for unforeseen issues to add to the drama of the show. She is incredibly talented; it's not her fault homeowners have incredibly unrealistic expectations. What I WOULD like to see is the remodel must-haves be listed in order of importance. I would also like to see how the budget was used at the end of the show.

David is incredibly likeable; I don't get at all why people are calling him pompous. I do wish they would mix it up and not always show us listings in order or worst to best. I also am not a fan of the cheesy "bated breath" moment at the end of every show.

This is one of my favorite shows. I love it!!

Michelle

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ionosphere
posted Hide Post
I love Hillary and David and love the show. I am wondering why the lady on Love It or List It Too getsvtobuse a rabket in her blueprints, but Hillary uses old fashioned paper and pencil?

The truth is out there

posted Hide Post
Like someone wrote earlier, I signed up on HGTV for the sole purpose of talking about this scripted mess. This takes Groundhog Day to new heights.

Every show... EXACTLY the same! Memo #1 to the Producers... its ok to mix it up once in a while.

Of course... this would make sense...if the Producers were still around. As I looked on my DirecTV about these shows, I see most of them is from 2009-2011. The ones in Vancouver (their attempt at changing things up) is more recent, but they literally do the same things. Same challenges, same budgets, same number of issues in each episode, same accusations of incompetence.

Memo #2 to Producers -- if Designer or Realtor kept making mistakes show after show after... then either you ought to be fired for keeping them, or these hosts will never find another job again because of being so naive and clueless.

Such a tossup about whats worse -- The Producers, clueless hosts... or myself for never being able to get those few hours back again. Shame on HGTV for keeping this on. Replaying a years old show...having nothing to do with the US (Their primary viewership)

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh I am so glad to see that I'm not alone wondering if anyone is evaluating Love it or List it. Money spent for 2-3 years and such a limited appeal. Take it off or rewrite those scripts! Who wants two mortgages? Everyone I guess! What a travesty of misdirection. The two new young hosts of the second version were refreshing in the first 3 shows I watched. Now the young man is as nasty and David and Hilary. Sorry, another viewer bites the dust.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love it or List it with Hillary and David works like a charm because they have the personalities and talent to pull it off. But Jillian and Todd are TERRIBLE; no personality, no charm, and too young to be plausibly given this kind of responsibility.
I will never watch them again. Period. TERRIBLE .

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I viewed Love it or List it for the first time yesterday and viewed several episodes. I have some ideas about the show. 1. Is it possible to go to some other area of the country (like Illinois)and show homeowners with more realistic home prices. In the shows I saw yesterday, there is NO way I would even consider selling or buying an 1800-2000 sq ft house for 3/4 to 1 million dollars for an average house by my observation in my hometown. those houses before upgrades would not even go for a quarter of what these houses are purported to sell for. These depictions do not help the average homeowner who may consider doing upgrades or selling. 2. When Jillian asks for the budget for renovation and makes her beautiful renditions of what it would look like afterward, when unforeseen conditions occur, based on my personal experience with renovation, Jillian should tell the homeowner that this budget is contingent on structural defects or code violations not visible upon estimation. Many of the homeowners probably would have been better off using the money for a down payment on the home they may want that Todd shows, especially if the structural defects were thoroughly observed by the contractors first before work was done. Alternatively, Jillian can state that before any work is started or quotes given that the contractor first inspects before money is spent. The one show where electrical work had to be done and a roof had to be completely replaced took away the budget for two new bathrooms and a kitchen, which caused the homeowners to list it instead of loving it! I think the show is awesome in that Jillian is able to renovate the homes and make them in to masterpieces with what the homeowner has to work with!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ionosphere
posted Hide Post
The shows are Canadian, so Illinois is not an option. One is Toronto and the other is Vancouver. The Vancouver ones especially seem ridiculously priced.

The truth is out there

posted Hide Post
My wife and I watch the show all the time, but it's really disgusting how that Eddie and Fergus ALWAYS, find something wrong with a house,is it a game? or do they try to find things so they get out of working so much?? They seem to find problems that seems impossible to discover unless you purposely Look for it.really has made us not watch as much! Because on Love it or List it too Jillian's contractor doesn't seem to have as many problems as old Eddie does, something seriously wrong with him and Fergus!! change contractors and bet you get more viewers

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ionosphere
posted Hide Post
If a house had no problems it would make for a boring show. My guess is if they filmed any show where the house renovations were all smooth sailing, that they wouldn't air it.

The truth is out there

posted Hide Post
I cannot believe this show is still on (and not only ON, but on and on and on...many, many hours every week)! I now automatically switch channels when this comes on. Why would anyone want to watch such obnoxious, rude people (both the hosts as well as the homeowners)? Having a husband who was a contractor, I am aware that the average person may not necessarily understand the costs involved in any renovation, but why does EVERY episode have basically the same plot - Hillary agrees to a renovation for a specific amount, then can't agree because, for some reason, it would appear there was no home inspection to determine the possible problems. Then, Fergus/Eddie are nasty and rude to Hillary when they do find the expected problem. The homeowners are rude after giving a totally unrealistic budget, and Hillary is then rude because she can't meet the demands that the homeowners clearly stated, up front! Although I'm relatively sure that the entire thing is staged and if we were behind the scenes there HAS been a full inspection, and the owners are aware of what's wrong and what is actually needed. Then WHY does there have to be so much negativity and rude behavior? This is exactly what we teach our children how not to act and how not to treat others - and then they see this on a "family friendly" TV show. I also haven't addressed David - yet another ditz. The couple says they want a home in their neighborhood, "x" number of bedrooms, etc. He then takes them miles from their neighborhood, less bedrooms, and basically misses the mark on their first two showings completely, only to suddenly find the perfect home by #3! Not to mention his also obnoxious responses when the homeowners complain. All-in-all, this is the biggest waste of time on TV.

Here's an idea - if you feel this show needs to be on, why not move it to early morning during the week, and put Selling NY back on in the evening when adults can watch regular people buying property?????

Posts: 1 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Aug 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeeM1963
posted Hide Post
I just joined to make a comment. It appears everyone on here has something negative to say about "Love It or List It". People have been lying to me when they say that Canadians are nice. I LOVE this show, and Hillary's work is nicely done. We all know that, they stay within a budget that these people can afford. Most who start a remodel do get taken for more money with screw ups, there are bad attitude contractors out there and designer to argue with their clients. Stop acting like these events don't happen in real life. Yet, it's even funny that you people won't even put your names on these post. Hillary and David are funny to me and if you have any family, there is always someone who has bad jokes and someone who thinks their better than everyone else. My interpretation is that Canada is filled with a lot of high and mighty minded people who don't even have the nerve to show there faces. GREAT WORK HILLARY AND DAVID!!! It's just television.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Nov 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually really like the show. My one objection is that the couple almost always choose to love it. Many cases that is a stupid choice. Hillary does a wonferful job with what she does, but almost every time there's a lot she doesn't get done. This often means the couple's biggest need isn't met, yet they're so amazed at the work done they make a quick decision to stay. And i'm left thinking what idiots.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with many of the posts in this forum. The home owners in both LIOLI and LIOLI, Too must be coached to be jerks. Hilary has the worst attitude of all four hosts. David and Todd aren't much better--snarky, sarcastic and obnoxious (David moreso than Todd). Jillian is the only nice, realistic host. I love the concept and enjoy many of the episodes but often fast forward or switch to another station during the middle 30 min to avoid the rudeness. The shows would be far more enjoyable if the home owners and hosts would be respectful and kind to each other. Would that be so hard?

Posts: 1 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: Dec 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post